#1 Posted by Ferginator4k (737 posts) -

So the steam pricing system is fucked, it uses a 1USD = 1Pound ratio and anyone not in the EU or US must pay in USD.  That greatly annoys me and has for years. We aussie gamers ae also unable to buy some games notable Rockstar games, the only one of which we can buy is GTA4.
HOWEVER! recently Bobby Kotick hiked the price for all Non-US regions for Modern Warfare 2 chargin 90$ USD or in the EU 90 Pounds . This pissed off a good deal of people. This also gave the rest of the gaming industry the idea that Australian gamers can be charged as much as possible for games. This lead to Borderlands having its price changed a month after its release to almost twice the original price!!! Then almost all games available for preorder in Australia had the price raised from 50$USD to 80$USD.
Then THQ raised the new IP Metro 2033 that i was eagerly anticipating, had its price ganked up from 40$ to 80$, and Now EA has hiked the Bad Company Price to 70$USD from 50$USD which basically spells out that all the big publishers have followed Activision and are gonna be selling games on steam for ludicrous prices.

This (obviously) greatly pisses me off and if it continues then im done with Steam, because im not paying 90 fucking us dollars for a digital only game.

#2 Posted by THE_END (466 posts) -

Damn that sucks dude. 

#3 Posted by SL33TBL1ND (522 posts) -

Yes, it is completely retarded, I'm going to ask both the publishers and Valve why they think they are allowed to do this. I have fucking had enough.
#4 Posted by pause422 (6179 posts) -

So buy the game elsewhere.

#5 Posted by Ferginator4k (737 posts) -
@pause422:  we have the Nicer beaches tax(as yahtzee calls it) and a normal game on release can cost from 100 to 120 dollars and that stays like that for almost the first year.
#6 Edited by NickL (2246 posts) -
@pause422 said:

" So buy the game elsewhere. "

i think his point is this is starting a chain reaction and everyone is raising the prices

that really sucks, i'd really like to here steams excuse, "you are so far away that we need an extra 40 bucks to get the internetz to you!"

edit: wait i haven't watched yahtzee in at least 6 months.... ill be back tomorrow...
#7 Posted by roofy (1005 posts) -

find someone you trust in the US, give them your account info, have them buy it for you, log in and download it.

problem solved

#8 Edited by graniteoctopus (260 posts) -
@Ferginator4k:
i agree with you completely and utterly. i dont use steam any more because of this. a website you might wanna check out is: www.aussiegamer.com.au  they have excellent prices and free delivery. ive used them myself many times
#9 Edited by pause422 (6179 posts) -
@Ferginator4k said:

" @pause422:  we have the Nicer beaches tax(as yahtzee calls it) and a normal game on release can cost from 100 to 120 dollars and that stays like that for almost the first year. "

Well even though its expensive everywhere then in a way, isn't it cheaper to just get it from Steam for 20/30 bucks less? I don't know, I'm just wondering, and I'm not pretending to know or be a dick in any way. If it comes off as that, I just generally don't know.

Eh I didnt notice as first your comment of digital only game. For me that isn't a problem as all, I don't prefer physical copies, but if thats the reason and it matters to you I guess I understand your statement.
#10 Posted by Ferginator4k (737 posts) -
@graniteoctopus:  Nice thanks, ill probably be getting stuff for my PS3 via that from now on
#11 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -

welcome to capitalism    
#12 Posted by Ferginator4k (737 posts) -
@pause422:  Thats why im pissed about the Steam thing, because i dont buy games in retail due to the high prices there.
#13 Posted by graniteoctopus (260 posts) -
@Ferginator4k:
CRAP!! im so sorry but i posted the wrong URL. im sure you worked it out but it was actually a .au domain name. the original post has been fixed
#14 Posted by Ferginator4k (737 posts) -
@graniteoctopus: its cool i figured it out
#15 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3070 posts) -
@Ferginator4k said:
" @pause422:  ... a normal game on release can cost from 100 to 120 dollars and that stays like that for almost the first year. "
People, please remember that this gentleman is referring to the price in Australian dollars. So, that's like, $1 American.

And yes, I just tried to crack a terrible joke about how much Australian dollars are worth. I'm sorry. I just had to get it out of my system.
#16 Posted by pause422 (6179 posts) -

I can definitely understand your frustration now. Not much to say except it surely is unfair and sucks for Aussies out there. Also, Bobby Kotick is a stupid fuck.

#17 Posted by Ferginator4k (737 posts) -
@pause422 said:
" Bobby Kotick is a stupid fuck. "
Truer words were never said
#18 Posted by Ubiquitous (571 posts) -

I love Steam, but that is fucking ridiculous. Sorry Austrailia.

#19 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3070 posts) -
@pause422: @Ferginator4k: He's just a businessman. He says crazy things very, very often. I'm not trying to excuse him - I'm just saying that he's a businessman, and his goal is to make money (just like everybody else in the industry, for that matter), and I cannot fault him for that goal.
#20 Edited by SL33TBL1ND (522 posts) -

@graniteoctopus:  
Oh and this site looks great, certainly be getting things from there at some point.

@Ubiquitous:

Yep, we get raped.

#21 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

woah woah woah..... are you implying that australlia is getting the shaft of the gaming world? no way

#22 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" @Ferginator4k said:
" @pause422:  ... a normal game on release can cost from 100 to 120 dollars and that stays like that for almost the first year. "
People, please remember that this gentleman is referring to the price in Australian dollars. So, that's like, $1 American.  And yes, I just tried to crack a terrible joke about how much Australian dollars are worth. I'm sorry. I just had to get it out of my system. "
$1 Australian dollar is about 90 cents US  or  $1 US dollar is about $1.11 Australian.  The gap isn't massive.  To give an idea of retail - for a new Xbox game, they are as much as $120 Au which is $107 US.  A more normal price is likely to be $100 Au, which is about $89 US.  You see that we do get ripped, which is why I buy a lot of games on import.
#23 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" @Ferginator4k said:
People, please remember that this gentleman is referring to the price in Australian dollars. So, that's like, $1 American.  And yes, I just tried to crack a terrible joke about how much Australian dollars are worth. I'm sorry. I just had to get it out of my system. "
The Australian Dollar is pretty fucking close the American Dollar.  Lern2Exchange.
#24 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Wow. I never noticed companies do that to Australians. You would think they would say "hey, you guys don't go into war or start any, so we'll give you a discount". It would be nice. But its Bobby Kotick. The guy that believes that the fun should be taken out of making video games.

#25 Posted by Ferginator4k (737 posts) -
@ch13696:  Yeah that would be a nice discount
#26 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

I think it's the publishers that are hiking the prices on Steam.

Now I don't know how those promotional deals work, but for normal releases Steam prices are what the publisher wants, Valve just complies with their decision.

#27 Posted by Ferginator4k (737 posts) -
@animateria:  yes that is true,
#28 Posted by h0lgr (908 posts) -

Same in Sweden, in stores games cost between 95-100$ new.
Used games go for around 80$, (if they're newly released).
It's pretty fucked. Also, same with Steam, 1 USD = 1 euro... which is NOT true
so for example if a new game comes out priced 59 euro (in the US steam store, it'd be 59$) the exchange rate would make it 80$.
Fucked.

#29 Posted by monkeyroach (175 posts) -

http://www.impulsedriven.com/

They have better prices for out of usa people

#30 Posted by Ferginator4k (737 posts) -

Impulse unfortunately has a significantly smaller selection of available games

#31 Posted by Ferginator4k (737 posts) -
@monkeyroach:  Also a bunch of games on Impulse are unavailable in Australia
#32 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

must be an aussie thing. my steam here in the UK is still pretty reasonable.

#33 Posted by mrfizzy (1528 posts) -
@Ferginator4k: dont know if youve ever had a look at GAME's online store or not, their in store prices are shit (about the same as EB) but they often have online sales and you can get some great older games for lower prices. Just a thought. 
#34 Posted by Ferginator4k (737 posts) -
@jadeskye: It is and thats part of the issue, why are publishers doing this???
#35 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -
@Ferginator4k said:
" @jadeskye: It is and thats part of the issue, why are publishers doing this??? "
i'd say something to do with the overzealous australian government. perhaps imposing further taxes on games publishers. 

Or perhaps publishers simply milking a people who cannot say no because there are so few other choices.
#36 Posted by Ferginator4k (737 posts) -

The issue with the R18 rating is the fault of one stupid individual.  Micheal Atkinson.

Also Steam was the best way to get games up till now.

#37 Edited by Vamino (207 posts) -

Dear OP, 

http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=us  

Buy through the US store (there are detailed tutorials online). Some people's credit cards don't work for it, which is kind of a pity.. This was used for many Australians to buy the non-gimped version of L4D2. I myself used it for that and to buy the Max Payne 1 & 2 pack during the xmas sales. If your CC doesn't work, your option is to find someone trusted in another country and pay them through paypal, then have them gift the game to you from their region. 

Love, 
Vamino  

Edit: If you can't find the tutorials, the basic gist of it is that you keep your address the same, change the country to the US, and zip code to something american (eg. 90210). A lot of credit cards only verify the address, not the country and post code, which is why this works. If it doesn't work for your CC, you may be able to call up your bank (or go in) and ask them to remove the country verification.

#38 Posted by Shirogane (3569 posts) -

Yeah, i made a thread about this back a while ago. Not happy about this.  Going to stop using steam if this catches on. 

Glad Supreme commander 2 didn't get jacked up though. It seems to be only certain publishers 

And Kotick is one of those types of people i hate most. Reminds me of doctors who become doctors just cause they want to be rich.
#39 Posted by graniteoctopus (260 posts) -
@SL33TBL1ND:
glad i could spread the word.
#40 Posted by Evilsbane (4595 posts) -

Wow, can you guys guess where I am never moving to?  No offense but being raped at every corner when wanting to play games has to suck Peter Molyneux's balls.

#41 Posted by Ferginator4k (737 posts) -
@Shirogane:  It is catching on! thats why im pissed, 2K is raising prices, THQ is raising Prices and just yesterday EA began raising prices.
#42 Posted by TheHT (11147 posts) -

80 bucks for just the basic game is ridiculous!

#43 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

I wonder why they do it?
#44 Posted by Shirogane (3569 posts) -

As it stands, the jacked up price is generally still a few dollars cheaper than retail. 
Add a few dollars for a box and manual? Hmm, i think i might start getting retail games again. 

The price for Bioshock was insane when i saw it. Hopefully the other publishers don't do the same. Wonder if SquareEnix will raise their prices.
#45 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

That's what you get for having cheap sounding English accents...

#46 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

I was pretty sure it was they use 1 usd = 1 euro,