#1 Edited by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

If some of you remember i made a thread a while ago trying to increase the amount of traffic the Giantbomb youtube channel.

I asked if each Giantbomb user would go subscribe and regularly rate the videos etc so that Giantbomb's youtube channel would get more hits and thus bring more people to the site.

However i was met with a very negative response from people who wanted Giantbomb to stay a small inbred community.

Now a bit of time has past and Giantbomb has attracted a lot more members to the site. The quality of the forums is still the same nothing bad has happened to more new people singing up.

What i propose is this. Make content that is only available on youtube. Things like Kessler cam or Lemon lens are great and they have thousands of views because they aren't uploaded on the website.

You don't need to repost the videos you already have on the site just make new content that is for youtube.

If Giantbomb gets a bigger YouTube following it will attract more users to the site i guarantee it.

And in the end isn't that what we all want from this website about video games ?

Check out them views !
Hmm could be better guys
#2 Posted by FesteringNeon (2164 posts) -

I'm all for more traffic and welcoming with open arms, but I personally think the core content should speak for the site.

#3 Posted by Hargreaves93 (234 posts) -

I think that Giantbomb should grow and welcome more new users. That seems to be the case anyways because I was welcomed with open arms! :D

#4 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

The new interns have been tasked with uploading and making sure all videos that gets posted on the site gets posted on YouTube.

#5 Posted by harinosho (594 posts) -

IGN is huge. Giant bomb is really small.. though i understand where you're coming from, they dont have much to show people other than what they have on this site. right? 

#6 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -

I support this!

I'm already subscribed, but what would really help is if they would get that youtube channel to have partners support.

I'm pretty sure the Giantbomb channel already meets the basic requirements. They just need to apply. Partner support would add a little bit more money in the whiskey pocket and the channel will be promoted among the youtube community.

#7 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

i can't... 

i lost my jiving license in a drink jiving accident 3 years ago.

#8 Edited by geirr (2539 posts) -

I subscribe to Giant Bomb and not Youtube, I don't really want to leave this site for my Giant Bomb content

just like I wouldn't want to leave a resturant to go eat at Wallmart.

#9 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

@Seedofpower said:

I support this!

I'm already subscribed, but what would really help is if they would get that youtube channel to have partners support.

I'm pretty sure the Giantbomb channel already meets the basic requirements. They just need to apply. Partner support would add a little bit more money in the whiskey pocket and the channel will be promoted among the youtube community.

+1

#10 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

IGN probably has so many subscribers/views because their website and video player suck.  And I don't even mean from a content standpoint.  It's just too annoying and slow to navigate.

I think I'm subscribed to the Giant Bomb youtube channel, but I pretty much only watch the intern videos on that thing. 

#11 Posted by MEATBALL (3203 posts) -

Subscribed, but I feel like I barely even use youtube these days.

#12 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

Funky jive bump

#13 Posted by DeeGee (2122 posts) -

Giant Bomb is never going to be as big as IGN, so I don't see why you're comparing the two here.

#14 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

@DeeGee said:

Giant Bomb is never going to be as big as IGN, so I don't see why you're comparing the two here.

Look up not down

#15 Posted by Spankmealotus (283 posts) -

A big part of the difference between the 2 youtube channels is IGN joined in 2006, Giantbomb joined in 2009. You combine that with IGN just being a bigger site and their video player being kind of bad and you get these results. Point is, 2 1/2 extra years of people looking at their youtube is going to put a good gap in the numbers.

#16 Edited by MikkaQ (10284 posts) -

Nah, that would just be spreading the content, and then I would have to visit youtube, which is not a pleasant experience anymore. Giantbomb's video player is waaaaaaay better than youtube's, so there's no need to leave the site.

#17 Posted by Mr_Spinnington (123 posts) -

@XII_Sniper said:

Nah, that would just be spreading the content, and then I would have to visit youtube, which is not a pleasant experience anymore. Giantbomb's video player is waaaaaaay better than youtube's, so there's no need to leave the site.

core content shouldn't ever be outsourced, but i don't see any reason for intern content to be hosted on the GB youtube account

#18 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

@Mr_Spinnington said:

@XII_Sniper said:

core content shouldn't ever be outsourced, but i don't see any reason for intern content to be hosted on the GB youtube account

Exactly. I don't want to have to pay $50 dollars a year for a site, then go to youtube to watch the exclusive videos. The only thing I use Youtube for is when I'm thinking about getting a new guitar pedal/guitar/amp and I want to see some test runs with it. Or if some one tells me to check out a band or a song.

#19 Posted by ADarkMatter (138 posts) -
@pepsimaxofborg said:

I subscribe to Giant Bomb and not Youtube, I don't really want to leave this site for my Giant Bomb content

just like I wouldn't want to leave a resturant to go eat at Wallmart.

This
#20 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

The reason ign has so many views is because they more or less toss up every little dev video and trailer they can get their hands on. 

#21 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Nah that's ok

#22 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

@Spankmealotus said:

A big part of the difference between the 2 youtube channels is IGN joined in 2006, Giantbomb joined in 2009. You combine that with IGN just being a bigger site and their video player being kind of bad and you get these results. Point is, 2 1/2 extra years of people looking at their youtube is going to put a good gap in the numbers.

I wasn't saying "look how bad we are compared to IGN" I was saying look what we could have if we used youtube correctly.

Posting snippits of content on youtube and having the full version on the site for example.

I think they should use youtube for more personal things like the intern camms and such. Things that make you want to check out the youtube but also go to the site.

The way Gianbomb is uploading every video on Giantbomb on youtube is kinda dumb.

Youtube could be a awesome way of spreading Giantbomb to other people who may not know about the site (And maybe generate some cash also.)

#23 Posted by Loose (419 posts) -

IGN doesn't have adorable dogs.

#24 Edited by Portis (1287 posts) -

Well, two things. First off, IGN is a huge website and they post a crazy amount of shit on their Youtube page. Giant Bomb rarely uses theirs for anything.

Even if they did post everything there, that they post here I still wouldn't go there to watch it. I like it here better.

#25 Posted by GoodKn1ght (491 posts) -

@turbomonkey138 said:

@DeeGee said:

Look up not down

No actually they have stated that they don't want to be that big and don't plan to be.

#26 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

splitting the content is a bad idea

#27 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -

@Yanngc33: I don't think the idea is to split the content. The content that the Interns create was always on the GB youtube channel and the suggestion is to make it dedicated for them or at least have the channel being used as a valuable tool instead of a video dumping ground.

#28 Posted by MikkaQ (10284 posts) -

@Mr_Spinnington said:

@XII_Sniper said:

Well yeah that's okay, it's usually on youtube anyway right?

#29 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

I like the fact that this is exactly what they have done now haha :D i can predict the future

#30 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

sorry, id love to. but i was banned from jiving 3 years ago when i was caught drink/jiving