Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Punisher

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Apr 22, 1993

A Capcom arcade beat-em-up game similar to games like Double Dragon featuring the Marvel character The Punisher. Nick Fury is also a playable character in this game.

Okay The Punisher arcade game is freaking ridiculous.

migrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Excuse me if I'm late to the party, but I just played a game that's easily a 9/10. It's Capcom's The Punisher for arcade. Now this game is really great beat 'em up action straight from the '90s. The graphics, which are highly detailed sprites are great. The gameplay is so much fun, the way the punches crack bones and the way your gun just pops off is very satisfying.

I noticed that some of the sounds in the game are ridiculous though! When you do your special attack The Punisher lets out a high pitched yelp/scream that's real stupid. And when you start the game some Japanese guy screams out something with such a thick accent that it's impossible to decipher. I made a very very short sound clip of the game.

So what do you guys think of that sound?! Have any of you any fondness for this title? It's really good!

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@migrations: Just one of the many 2d beat'em ups back in the 90's. I played and enjoyed it, the gameplay is very signature for the time. For the sound, this is just Capcoms old arcade audio processor. I think it was called Q Sound, it sounds a lot like the Street Fighter 2 and Final Fight games. The arcade scene was great back in the 90's, I think it died a bit when home consoles started to get so high end, that and the online gaming scene.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By VierasTalo
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By cornbredx

Ya, you're about 21 years late to the party.

Seriously, though, I don't think I ever played this one. Huh, weird (it's weird because I thought I played all the marvel games on Genesis, but I guess not).

I did play the other one that VierasTalo is referring to and that game is gold. I agree with him that it is underrated.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Is he a magical fucking gun wizard in that one?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Wasn't this the same one released on the Genesis? The music certainly sounds the same.

migrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup it's the same as from the Genesis. Maybe I'm going to have to try this other Punisher game though, sounds cool!

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@vierastalo said:

Oh man, I was hoping this would be a topic of the underrated masterpiece Volition put out along with the Thomas Jane -film.

Same here. That was the first "superhero" game to really nail the tone of a license, in my opinion.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

BLAM!

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
    deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agentboolen: I think the beat em ups started dying out slightly before the end of the arcades, they didn't survive the transition to 3d very well or work too well with longevity when people got them on consoles.

@migrations: If you like the Punisher & you haven't played too many of the capcom arcade beat em ups from the 90s you really have to check out Warriors of Fate, Armored Warriors & Alien vs Predator.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By GERALTITUDE

huh, should pick up a genesis copy.

migrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@oldirtybearon said:

@vierastalo said:

Oh man, I was hoping this would be a topic of the underrated masterpiece Volition put out along with the Thomas Jane -film.

Same here. That was the first "superhero" game to really nail the tone of a license, in my opinion.

Was that the one where you torture some fools, and everybody got real up in arms about it, and it maybe almost got an AO or something?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I played so much of this game. Wow. Hearing that scream is like getting punched in the nuts with nostalgia.

Can't believe I forgot this game existed until now. Many quarters were lost. Don't think I ever beat it.

migrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By migrations

@starvinggamer: Hahah I wish I was you and was able to play this game as a kid. What city and arcade was this in? I live in Colorado and all we ever got were the mainstays such as X-Men.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Capcom made another arcade beat em up that's very similar to this called Captain Commando, which is an amazing game as well.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: I seem to remember that was it yeah. It sure upheld the violent nature of the Punisher.

This arcade game seems real silly and cool at the same time, judging purely from that soundclip.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, that game IS dope. I love how if you have two players, or depending on which character you choose, all of the cutscene dialogue is completely different.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@migrations: I honestly have no idea. I grew up in the LA area so there was no shortage of arcades. There were like two near my school, on in each of the three nearby malls, and my family would go to mini-golf on most weekends. It's all a big blur at this point.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@oldirtybearon said:

@vierastalo said:

Was that the one where you torture some fools, and everybody got real up in arms about it, and it maybe almost got an AO or something?

That's the one.

Loading Video...

The hilarious thing is that, in hindsight, it's really tame in comparison to the kind of shit we see these days. Great game, though.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

I loved the arcade version of the game.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised I'd never heard of this game before, I played all of the superhero Capcom/Konami beat 'em ups back in the day. I would venture to guess it had to be a later release so it never got the same popularity as X-Men or Simpsons.

I just played through it though and it really is a VERY good beat 'em up. The graphics are outstanding and the shooting mechanic is really fun.

My guess since it's on Genesis and I've also never heard of it that version is probably way inferior. The arcade game is great though!

hunterob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23  Edited By hunterob

I'm surprised I'd never heard of this game before, I played all of the superhero Capcom/Konami beat 'em ups back in the day. I would venture to guess it had to be a later release so it never got the same popularity as X-Men or Simpsons.

I just played through it though and it really is a VERY good beat 'em up. The graphics are outstanding and the shooting mechanic is really fun.

My guess since it's on Genesis and I've also never heard of it that version is probably way inferior. The arcade game is great though!

Sorry for the random bump, but it's not way inferior. There's minor censorship of blood/blowing a guys head off/smoking, the graphics are a bit more dull, and the environments are less destructible. It's still one of the best beat-em-ups on the Genesis. Man, it makes me wish Capcom ported Alien vs. Predator to the 32x like they announced they would. Also just more beat-em-ups to the Genesis in general.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.