Avatar image for the_philosopher
The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

Edited By The_Philosopher

When I think of the popular games out nowadays my mind races towards games like Call of Duty and Mass Effect. Super realistic shooters and loads of dialog options. When I think of the games I and my friends played in the 90's I think of Zelda and Banjo Kazoozie. Lots of boss battles and collecting items. Where are the boss battles in Call of Duty? It seems to me that alot of the basic things that were in every game back in the day aren't really there anymore. Sure Zelda is still the same and there are alot of new releases that are "old school" in a way. Like Shadow Complex, it has save rooms! I can't even recall the last game I played that didn't autosave every 5 minutes.  

What I'm trying to get at is the evolution of video games. Isn't it interesting how games have changed? We've gone from jumping over barrels to rescue a princess to jumping out of airplanes to eliminate terriost threats. We went from spending countless hours on games like Banjo Kazooie trying to find that last goddamn Jinjo to games like Call of Duty, staying up all night killing dudes from all over the world to unlock that last perk.  

What do you guys think of the difference in video games nowadays compared to the games you grew up with? Do you guys miss all that "old school" stuff? For example nowadays some games don't even have a single boss battle, that's really crazy when you think about it. 

PS. When I say boss battle I'm talking about a big health bar at the top of the screen, memorizing patterns, that sort of thing.
Avatar image for the_philosopher
The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By The_Philosopher

When I think of the popular games out nowadays my mind races towards games like Call of Duty and Mass Effect. Super realistic shooters and loads of dialog options. When I think of the games I and my friends played in the 90's I think of Zelda and Banjo Kazoozie. Lots of boss battles and collecting items. Where are the boss battles in Call of Duty? It seems to me that alot of the basic things that were in every game back in the day aren't really there anymore. Sure Zelda is still the same and there are alot of new releases that are "old school" in a way. Like Shadow Complex, it has save rooms! I can't even recall the last game I played that didn't autosave every 5 minutes.  

What I'm trying to get at is the evolution of video games. Isn't it interesting how games have changed? We've gone from jumping over barrels to rescue a princess to jumping out of airplanes to eliminate terriost threats. We went from spending countless hours on games like Banjo Kazooie trying to find that last goddamn Jinjo to games like Call of Duty, staying up all night killing dudes from all over the world to unlock that last perk.  

What do you guys think of the difference in video games nowadays compared to the games you grew up with? Do you guys miss all that "old school" stuff? For example nowadays some games don't even have a single boss battle, that's really crazy when you think about it. 

PS. When I say boss battle I'm talking about a big health bar at the top of the screen, memorizing patterns, that sort of thing.
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Cerza

The big difference between the games of today and the games I had growing up in the 80's/90's is that the games of my youth are for all intents and purposes a legal form of child abuse.

dancingphlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By dancingphlower

There's still plenty of games out there with boss battles, though. It's just the ones like Call of Duty and Rainbow Six that don't.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By jonnyboy

With little storage space, games of yesteryear were incredible difficult to prolong gameplay and justify their asking price, which is why I hate myself for spending that money and finishing only a handful of games. Now games are too far the other way: longer, story driven, over marketed, over hyped.... oh yeah, and you regain health by hiding behind walls like a little pussy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah we did evolve especially technology wise, but damn do I miss the old days, like Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario RPG.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By oldschool

I would win, end of story.  :-)