#1 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4895 posts) -
#2 Edited by SJSchmidt93 (4895 posts) -

Here's a list of games that I've played and about how long I played them., 

For MW2 it was about 4 months. 
For TF2 it was about 6 months, still play it every patch though.
For Guitar Hero 2 it was about 2 years.
For Rock Band it was about year. (actually these was mostly just local stuff and singleplayer)  
For WoW it was about 3 years. 
For GTA IV it was about 2 months. 
For MGO it was about 2 months. 
For WC3 it was a couple weeks because I jumped in when the skill level was so fucking high. 
For LBP it was about 4 months, still play off and on.     
For UC2 it was about a week. 
For RDR it was a few hours. 
For SFIV it was about 2 months.

#3 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

When I determine that I'm always right and everybody else is cheating or lagging.

#4 Posted by Yummylee (21673 posts) -

I don't get stuck in most MP's but when there's one I really enjoy I nest my ass there. Only reason I'm still not playing the U2 MP is because I lost my copy >=/

#5 Posted by Soapy86 (2622 posts) -

It depends on the game. It could range from years to as little as one or two sessions depending on many different factors.

#6 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

I'm still playing MW2 and LBP. But on average I usually try something for a week or so. By that point I know whether I want to keep playing or not. 

#7 Posted by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -

I always jump back in and out of multiplayer games. I usually put hundreds of hours into the good ones, such as COD2s multiplayer.

#8 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

It depends if any of my friends are still playing it, the thing that determines what platform I'll buy a game for is seeing who else will carry on playing it.

#9 Posted by FakePlasticTree (449 posts) -

Very few games hold my attention with their multiplayer for more than a month or so. CoD4 had me playing consistently for two years, and Team Fortress is close to three years now. But honestly I don't like playing with randoms, and most of my friends move on very quickly, so I either follow or play on my own. That and most multiplayer modes simply aren't deep enough to hold my attention for too long. 

#10 Posted by SoothsayerGB (1468 posts) -

I tend to keep a game in each genre around.  So I usually play them until a better version comes out.  An example would be CoD 4, I played that for about 2 years.  Till MW 2 was released.   So on average, about 2 years for regular console releases and a lot more for PC MMO-RPGs.

A good MMO-RPG is very hard to come by.  So I stick with the one I like, for a long while.  Been with WoW for around 4 years.  Before that FFXI for 3.  So on.

#11 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11753 posts) -

I played both COD 4 and MW2 for about 4-5 months before I quit.

#12 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

99.99% of games only keep me playing MP for a few weeks, if even that long.  A few days or 'never' is more appropriate.  However, there are some games that can bring me back years later, but they're rare.

#13 Posted by mcmets93 (285 posts) -

Usually once i get to the highest rank i cant have any interest in it anymore OR A game just really pisses me off to the point of not playing it anymore(MODERN WARFARE 2)

#14 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -

A week or so except for SSFIV.  I'm not really an online kind of guy for the most part.

#15 Posted by mrhankey (695 posts) -
@SJSchmidt93:  This question actually deserves a much more fleshed out answer. 
Games like the Battlefield Series, TF2, Day of Defeat Source, are games I either play for a year and come back to on a regular basis (or in the case of Battlefield) play each entry in the series until TF2 or Day of Defeat comes and steals the show again. That is until the next Battlefield comes out.
#16 Posted by AjayRaz (12428 posts) -

i'll play online on my games occasionally as long as i own them. i never really "stop" playing them.

#17 Posted by memo (421 posts) -

I played MW2 multiplayer until BBC2 came out.  Currently I', playing Blacklight 

#18 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3205 posts) -

Counter-Strike 1.6 lasted about 2-3 years.

Counter-Strike Source - another 2-3 years.

Team Fortress was about 7 months.

Team Fortress 2 - 3 months

Halo 3 - 1 year

#19 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

About a month.
#20 Posted by Vonocourt (2130 posts) -

A week or two usually.

#21 Posted by HODGEY3000 (344 posts) -

a month
#22 Posted by lilman1101 (1066 posts) -

I play them for ages, then get pissed then stop. 
Then I play them for ages, then get pissed then stop.   

#23 Posted by Lawrens (688 posts) -

I play until my friends quit.

#24 Posted by immike (714 posts) -

Quit? I never quit the good ones. The bad ones I don't even bother with. I do take breaks from MP games to try others, but I usually come back sooner or later. Ex. Counter-Strike. 

However, there are some games that I used to like that I simply have no interest in playing anymore. Ex. Halo, CoD, Battlefield. 

#25 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -

HL: Counter Strike - I dunno, MANY years. Since 1.3 or 1.4 until CS:S.
Counter Strike: Source - A year I think. 
WC3 - 2 years?  
WoW - One year
BF2 - 3 years  
MW1 (PC) - Couple of months
MW2 (X360) - Since launch (First console MP game I actually played a lot)

#26 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11039 posts) -

Online games usually don't hold my attention for very long, because I never feel like I accomplish anything, because there's no story or anything. 

#27 Posted by masterpaperlink (1843 posts) -

Few weeks unless its very good, then it could be months or years (TF2, halo etc..)

#28 Posted by buhssuht (437 posts) -

untill i get that achivement
#29 Posted by CaptainObvious (2998 posts) -

Few days.

#30 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

It depends on the game. For Call of Duty 4 I played that game religiously consistently throughout the years from March 2008 to early 2009 before making a switch to Gears of War 2 (only because my friends played that and only that back then). I played GTA IV for maybe 2-3 months and have been jumping on and off every so often. MW2 didn't last nearly as long as I'd liked to have.

#31 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

Not too long really. I don't play multiplayer too often. I'm more into singleplayer games. Maybe up to a month. And then maybe on and off for a year.

#32 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

i dont devote time to it. whenever i feel like playing a game i play it. 

#33 Posted by TekZero (2672 posts) -

The number one game I play online is Magic the Gathering.  It's been out for little more than a year now and I still play it almost nightly. 

#34 Posted by ChocolateCoffin (201 posts) -

Really depends on the game. I'd go back to play Gears of War (1) online, or Lost Planet online right now quite happily! Cod 4 aswell. Some games have timeless MP, due to the quality of it, and some... obviously don't.

#35 Posted by SourMillennia (43 posts) -

I rarely play online games in the sense of "Alright, time to play some COD" for an hour or so everyday. Usually I play games for looooong periods of time but only once a week or so. I played Halo 3 for about two years on a weekly basis, and MW2 has been on rotation since release. I'm also a major single-player fan, so if that part of their game sucks, I won't even boot up the multiplayer.

#36 Posted by schizogony (975 posts) -

Since before I'm in my momma belly.

#37 Posted by shiptoncraig (149 posts) -

Gears 2 almost 2 years/

#38 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -

I think most, and I mean like 9 out of 10 games that have a multiplayer component are garbage. They throw it in half assed and only a few games do it correctly that have staying-power. I've been playing online since like 2000, and I can maybe name 10 games that have MP that are worth a shit.

#39 Posted by DaManGB (377 posts) -

I NEVER QUIT O.O

#40 Posted by Agent47CSim2 (1085 posts) -

Well: Halo 3 - 3 years come August. 

However that's an exception, normally I play for a few months, for instance MW2- 3 months until I got pissed off with it.

#41 Posted by Jimbo (9815 posts) -

It's rare that I bother with competitive multiplayer at all nowadays tbh.  I played about 50 hours of BC2, but that's pretty much it in the last few years.  If you've played one TDM shooter, you've played 'em all.

#42 Posted by wavegoodbye (285 posts) -

A year or so on Modern Warfare.  Several years on Diablo II.  Don't really care for much else past the couple of hours mark.

#43 Posted by natetodamax (19207 posts) -

Usually until the next big multiplayer game comes out.

#44 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -
#45 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i usually play for a couple of months. i've been playing modern warfare 2 for about 6 months or whenever it came out.

#46 Posted by JellyFish_Gsus (769 posts) -

COD4 for a year then occasionally on and off. 
Still play Uncharted 2 online. 
Any other game is usually for a few weeks.