On GiantBomb's "Lists"

KKGlider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By KKGlider

A short while back I tried sorting my video game collection using GiantBomb's lists (see my blog for the back story, if you're interested); it didn't work out. Using GiantBomb's database to create a list is powerful, but the list themselves are not that flexible or sortable. Accessibility is also an issue. Being able to work on (and with) the list on mobile is important to me. And, a minor issue, is that the box art for a lot of games is not entirely consistent--not a big deal, but it does detract from the list's visual appeal.

I'm now using Microsoft's OneNote to organize my collection--it's really good at making checklists and other things, though not perfect, and the ability to use it on my phone is a big plus. I've messed around with Evernote, but I just ended up preferring OneNote.

Gamespot also has pretty good lists. I like how they're tabled and sortable. Adding things to the list is also fairly easy, though different in style than GiantBomb. I haven't really used Gamespot in a long time, so don't know the exact state of lists now, but it seems more or less the same to me.

I recently read that they're working on lists here on the website, and I'd like to see them go in a direction similar to Gamespot--something that can be tabled and sortable. Something that fascinates me is sorting games by release date--you can kind of see patterns in that, especially if they're tied to review scores. I would also love the ability to make checklists too, maybe? That said, the type of lists on GiantBomb are pretty great. They're defiantly versatile, and as Jeff has demonstrated, can be pretty clever.

Have you tried sorting your video game collection (or as Brad has done, your "pile of shame") using lists? Have you tried using some other software or website? Help me out.

Edit: After writing this post, I started lurking through lists, and I'm fascinated by the "every game I've ever played" lists. I would actually love to make a list like that, but, as I've noticed some people comment on, those type of lists are kind of unwieldy, and making them sortable would be handy--and potentially interesting.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#1  Edited By Slag

@kkglider: I'm old school so I use Excel. Which is pretty easy to turn into sortable lists. A couple clicks to Freeze some Panes and away you go. That's where I keep my collection, pile of shame, burnout, Beat, and wishlists.

Google Docs ain't too bad either.

If you're dedicated with Excel (I'm not) you can write some pretty sick macros for it.

I've made some lists on GB before the site move, but now I pretty much can't update them/finish them since the site update. Can't get the blasted things to save reliably anymore.

KKGlider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@slag:

I tried Excel, actually. The web app, anyway. I use it for some things, but I like that OneNote (and Evernote) lets you make checklists. I think Excel does too, but not the web app (or I haven't found a way); I don't use Excel enough to pay for it. Anyway, using spread sheets for videogames seems like a whole new level I'm not willing to venture in to.

Ultimately though, it's all tedious because I have to find information like release dates manually, when being able to access GiantBomb's database would be so much better. ...is there a way to tie GiantBomb's (or any database, like Moby Games') to something like OneNote, Evernote, or Excel?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think its one of the most interesting features on Giantbomb, and I'd love to see them add some new options. But yeah, with the site relaunch I don't really expect too many new features any time soon.