#1 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Does anyone else think when people make threads and never reply to anyone in it, it's a troll post? Well not quite troll-ish, but this person wanted to stir up stuff and never really cared about the topic.

It's so annoying. Like I'm going to ask a question, but my mind is already made up to what the answer is so I don't care what anyone posts in the thread. Why did you make the thread, if you didn't want to talk about the thing YOU wanted to talk about?

#2 Posted by Chemystery (214 posts) -

That's an interesting view point but I feel like there are plenty of reasons that people wouldn't post in a thread they made. Forgetting about a thread you made, not being online a lot, or perhaps just starting a conversation to learn are all valid reasons for posting. I never played Mass Effect and know very little about it, does that mean I can't make a post on it and try to learn from the ensuing discussion? Ideally, you should be a part of the conversation you start but I don't think it is vital.

#3 Edited by GorillaMoPena (1887 posts) -

Is this going to be some next level troll where you don't respond to anything in this thread?

#4 Edited by TruthTellah (8420 posts) -

Agreed. This is quite annoying, and it does raise questions sometimes.

Though, to be honest, I kind of think you should just not take part in this thread for the sake of pure irony. :|

#6 Posted by Milkman (16484 posts) -

Typically, when I make a thread I try to #jointheconversation (I also don't make a ton of threads) but there have been times when I've made a thread, the comments immediately went to shit and I just said "fuck this" and don't bother.

#7 Edited by afabs515 (1003 posts) -

Is this going to be some next level troll where you don't respond to anything in this thread?

My mind is blown.

In response to the OP, I have made a few threads where all I've wanted is a straight answer or to see what people were thinking. How else am I supposed to know what to think about stuff? Seriously though, you don't need to engage in the discussion so long as the discussion you create is interesting/helpful to others.

#8 Posted by TruthTellah (8420 posts) -

Some threads that should get replies don't and some others that shouldn't get replies receive an avalanche of them.

#9 Edited by JZ (2125 posts) -

@chemystery: well if people are talking about Jacob and you don't know who Jacob is....

The only thing you should probably say is "who is jacob?"

#10 Edited by JZ (2125 posts) -

@afabs515: well that's like you ran up to a group of people and said "hey how about that football game?" And then ran away after saying that question.

#11 Edited by Yummylee (21208 posts) -

@jz said:

@afabs515: well that's like you ran up to a group of people and said "hey how about that football game?" And then ran away after saying that question.

Not really. Just because a TC doesn't respond doesn't mean they haven't read the responses.

#12 Edited by Strife777 (1490 posts) -

I hate it too. It just seems like someone thinks "How much shit could I stir before going off to bed?"

If it's a question or looking for other's opinions, you could at least acknowledge people's responses.

#13 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

I can't stand when I see a thread and it starts with 'So'

Completely honest about it too

#14 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -
#15 Posted by afabs515 (1003 posts) -
@yummylee said:

@jz said:

Not really. Just because a TC doesn't respond doesn't mean they haven't read the responses.

Exactly. And it also depends on the topic. If you're asking for, say a decent PC build for a given budget, that's an answerable question which doesn't necessarily demand conversation. Likewise, if you're asking a question like "I like games in this genre for these reasons, so is game X a good choice for me? What are your opinions so far?" that could get you useful information, even if you don't respond to the comments yourself.

Now don't get me wrong: I think there are certain types of posts someone shouldn't "abandon." If you post an argument about some topic like: "Here's why I think Nintendo's going out of business next year," the responses to a post like that will likely be arguments which themselves warrant a reply from the TC. If someone responds directly to you and asks a direct question, you should answer, but otherwise it's totally fine if you're just looking for information/different perspectives. That's my two cents anyway.

#16 Edited by wjb (1626 posts) -

You know, I haven't even thought of something like that, but it is weird.

I'll give people a pass sometimes if it's been 24 hours. Like, I'll reply to someone with a lengthy post, but then I'll have to do something else, but if they respond to me and it's something worth continuing, I'll get back to them eventually.

I hate to think that way, but now that you've brought it up, sometimes I do think people just want to stir shit up and bounce. Either that or they expected everyone to agree with everything they said, and when they realize not everyone approves of what they said and/or how they said it, they do not have the capability to have an actual debate over the topic they brought up.

EDIT: I could be wrong, but I assumed OP was referring to threads with "controversial" opinions about things, not necessarily the ones asking for shopping advice or whatever.

#17 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

Honestly, I don't really think it makes the poster look any or more less like a troll. I mean if you really wanted to rile people up, you wouldn't just post and leave, you'd wait for them to reply and then say things that make them angry in response. I also don't think they necessarily don't care about the responses, but it can be difficult to know which ones to reply to, or sometimes you don't have the time, and I think there's worth in people starting a discussion and opening their points up to criticism, even if they don't wish to make any counter-points. If they replied in a manner that showed they weren't willing to reason, that would show their minds are made up and they're not listening to logic.

#18 Edited by MEATBALL (3020 posts) -

Sometimes you just want to get something off your chest. There's no malice in it, you're not trying to rile things up or "trolling" there's just something bothering you and you want to write it down and have people see it, maybe even see some people agree with you. You know, feel like you're being heard. Not everyone wants to engage in a lengthy internet debate, particularly when those things regularly go nowhere.

#19 Edited by wjb (1626 posts) -
@meatball said:

Sometimes you just want to get something off your chest. There's no malice in it, you're not trying to rile things up or "trolling" there's just something bothering you and you want to write it down and have people see it, maybe even see some people agree with you. You know, feel like you're being heard. Not everyone wants to engage in a lengthy internet debate, particularly when those things regularly go nowhere.

I guess I'm weird, but if someone were to make a blog post here, I wouldn't expect the blogger to engage in the comments. They said what they needed to say.

If they make a thread in the forums about something that is obviously going to lead into an argument, then I think it's weird to not make at least one counter-point in a sea of dozens (if not hundreds) of responses.

I suppose many people do not even realize they can make a blog here. I sometimes forget. I remember the Gamespot community from 10 years ago was big on blogs.

#20 Posted by falserelic (5280 posts) -

For me I like to get different perspectives from people. When I make a thread I always read the comments (Unless its drown the fuck out). I've never got angry at people over the internet because of their opinion. It's a forum and all of us has a right to express themselves. As for OP's not responding to their own topics. I guess it really would depend on someones mood.

#21 Edited by zombiepenguin9 (527 posts) -

Sometimes people don't get online for a while, and by then it's possible that they perceive the conversation to have played out. Maybe it'd be good to say something like "thanks for the discussion," but if you really don't have anything to say, that's cool.

#22 Edited by Rebel_Scum (623 posts) -

That is annoying but you know what else is annoying? Thread titles that trail off without really telling you what the topic is.

Kinda grinds my gears...

#23 Posted by Landmine (525 posts) -

@jz: Drive-by topics/posts: When someone starts a topic and ditches it. Starts a conversation unrelated to the topic or message board. Also known as hit-and-run. I remember these terms from old BBSes. I also remember War posting, bait posts for moderators and administrators.

I just made myself feel old...

#24 Edited by Slag (3919 posts) -

@jz:

now that you mention it, I think you have a point. I think I'll avoid contributing to ones where it seems like that might happen.

I don't know if they are always trolling, but it isn't very cool to do that.

It never bothered me until you brought it up though.

#25 Edited by wjb (1626 posts) -

That is annoying but you know what else is annoying? Thread titles that trail off without really telling you what the topic is.

Kinda grinds my gears...

They got you there, OP.

#26 Edited by JZ (2125 posts) -

@wjb: no a thread title that trails off would be like "this game is so......." Click on the thread ".....good"

#27 Posted by HatKing (5791 posts) -

Maybe I'm part of the problem, but sometimes I'll read those long posts and not say anything. I mean, there are some topics that I have a fleeting curiosity in, but nothing to say about. I'd rather not just post something like "I agree."

#28 Posted by SunBroZak (981 posts) -

I dunno. If I make a thread to start a conversation, I'll usually give my opinion in that initial post. If all the responses to that thread are in agreement with my original opinion, or more likely, I don't have anything to add to what people are saying, I'm not going to post "I agree with your point" in response to everyone. Sometimes I think it's better to simply read what people have to say about your thread, and not force your opinion in at every chance.

#29 Edited by Neonie (414 posts) -

Very specific example: I at one point made a thread on a forum and the thread blew up in the wrong way. It got a lot of negative feedback because I foolishly created it in the wrong type of community. When something like that happens, it kind of just feels like you spilled oil all over your kitchen floor. Responding to it would be just like lighting match, most forums don't give the users the ability to delete or lock their own thread once other people have responded to it or it;s been a certain amount of time. So there's no way to get rid of it, no way put out the flames, no way to clean it up. So you just give up. You leave the thread.

#31 Posted by NMC2008 (1227 posts) -

I've only created one for the entire existence of Giant Bomb and it was an unexpected doozy, but if I were to make any more threads I will do it mainly for opinions and not so much to start a conversation that I will be active in, I mean I will always reply to what I want and keep track of my threads though.

#32 Posted by Humanity (8722 posts) -
#33 Edited by PandaBear (1295 posts) -

I hate click-bait-ish forum titles like "One forum thing I can't stand".

Also, a 'Like' button would alleviate a lot of this issue.

#34 Edited by RonGalaxy (2843 posts) -

@jz said:

Does anyone else think when people make threads and never reply to anyone in it, it's a troll post? Well not quite troll-ish, but this person wanted to stir up stuff and never really cared about the topic.

It's so annoying. Like I'm going to ask a question, but my mind is already made up to what the answer is so I don't care what anyone posts in the thread. Why did you make the thread, if you didn't want to talk about the thing YOU wanted to talk about?

You mean like that guy who made a super long thread post about disliking the direction giant bomb was headed and that there wasn't enough content (calling them lazy in the process)? And that he has only been a user since november, so he has no fucking clue?

And then he made another thread that sounds like someone jotted down a surreal fever dream they once had?

Yeah, it sucks

#35 Posted by Fattony12000 (6963 posts) -
#36 Edited by Veektarius (4541 posts) -

10 things jz hates about forum threads that may surprise you!