Princess_Isabela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Princess_Isabela

to all younger players out there, 

if you're a gamer and like shooters there is absolute no reason not to get this, 800 points?
that's a nice surprise, this game defined FPS's in 2000,
very few games are as magical as Rareware stuff is, very distinguishable style and incredibly fun.
and it looks fabulous, 60 frames per second, running in 1080p with redone textures, why march is so far away?
hehe.
this game is an absolute gem.

if you have doubts, this is one of the highest ranked games of all time, averaging at 97/100!

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/n64/perfectdark?q=perfect%20dark

I'm obviously super excited,
are you?

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'll buy it. I'm glad they're just beefing up the textures instead of doing a full on remake. They're giving it the Banjo-Kazooie treatment. I totally approve.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

I'm glad to see it's finally coming in March. This game with HD graphics is going to be my dream come true.  

I remember getting this for my 12th birthday and coming home from school only to realize that I don't have the expansion pack. I had to go buy one seperately because it didn't come with it, then when I bought Donkey Kong a little while later it came with the pack so I had 2! Haha but even still, I could play the multiplayer that night and I still had an awesome time. 

For younger players who haven't heard of this, it's one of the greatest FPS's ever made.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Not really. I want GoldenEye but that will NEVER happen.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By meteora

Dude.

WHAT.

Do want.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@TheGreatGuero said:
" I'll buy it. I'm glad they're just beefing up the textures instead of doing a full on remake. They're giving it the Banjo-Kazooie treatment. I totally approve. "
Banjo-Kazooie (and Tooie, for that matter) was just smoothed out; it still had the same textures as the N64 version but without all the blurry crap going on. This game's changed the textures and designs up completely and is selling for 400 points less. Fantastic deal.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@Kowbrainz: Okay, even better. Sounds good to me. It might even motivate me to drag myself through Perfect Dark Zero. I've still never played it past the first level because of those God-awful controls.
nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By nukesniper

Sounds like an awesome deal. I hope it has 4 player split screen with all those wacky bots yet though. Not enough games support the 4 players on one screen type gaming anymore, and I would love to have something like that with some bots for when I totally want to stomp something into the ground. 

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks
Joker_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Joker_777

It will never be the same.

Avatar image for princess_isabela
Princess_Isabela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Princess_Isabela
@Joker_777 said:
" It will never be the same. "
you're right, 
it wil be better in every single way !!! 
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Jadeskye

Thats awesome, but it raises questions, they can do it for perfect dark but not goldeneye? O_o

Princess_Isabela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Princess_Isabela
@jadeskye said:
" Thats awesome, but it raises questions, they can do it for perfect dark but not goldeneye? O_o "
unfortunately, you'd have to get through quite a few hoops in order to get approval for a james bond licensed game on a microsoft platorm(in order to do so, you'd have to get on board: nintendo, rare, activision, etc...). 
it's been recently said that this most likely won't happen because of this.  
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I have a few concerns about quality since most of the people that worked on the original Perfect Dark are no longer working for Rare and the last time Rare tried to make a shooter we ended up with Perfect Dark 0.
As for Golden Eye that seems like the biggest legal boondoggle ever. 
A.) It is a licensed game featuring one of  the most  prolific and iconic movie series ever. 
B.) Activision owns the rights currently to the James Bond franchise.
C.) I don't know how legal stuff works but I am sure Nintendo is finding every way possible to cock block Rare from releasing the most popular game on the N64 not named Mario 64 on a competitors system.

Princess_Isabela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Princess_Isabela
@bartok said:

" I have a few concerns about quality since most of the people that worked on the original Perfect Dark are no longer working for Rare and the last time Rare tried to make a shooter we ended up with Perfect Dark 0

Perfect Dark Zero was great...it had some issues, but I loved it - it was the coolest out of the launch titles when 360 came out(PGR3 and Kameo were great too though).
Graphics, music, guns, variety in levels really stood out at the time and it holds strong against many of the bland, shooters set in the same setting out there, even today. 
what's up with PDZ hate trend? 
it had few rough spots but overal I've had a lot of fun with it, 
give it some time and you'll end up really liking it.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xyzygy
@Princess_Isabela said:

" @bartok said:

" I have a few concerns about quality since most of the people that worked on the original Perfect Dark are no longer working for Rare and the last time Rare tried to make a shooter we ended up with Perfect Dark 0

Perfect Dark Zero was great...it had some issues, but I loved it - it was the coolest out of the launch titles when 360 came out(PGR3 and Kameo were great too though). Graphics, music, guns, variety in levels really stood out at the time and it holds strong against many of the bland, shooters set in the same setting out there, even today.  what's up with PDZ hate trend?  it had few rough spots but overal I've had a lot of fun with it,  give it some time and you'll end up really liking it. "
The game was rushed and because it was a little unpolished and people were expecting more from Rare they just hate it. It's one of those deals where a game is either awesome or it sucks to people. I personally thought it was great as well, but there is just this hate train going around for it. Oh well, it sold over a million copies so I'm happy for it! If you think about it though, Rare was working on 2 games for the launch of a rushed system, and they both turned out to be pretty good games. I call that skill! 

And bartok, they're only redoing the graphics. And this time the controls will probably be better now that it'll be on a dual analog stick system. There is no way they can fuck this up - it's not like they're changing the gameplay or anything, it's the same game :P
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MikkaQ

My problem is this game doesn't hold up at all. Console first person shooters are one of the genres that age the worst in gaming, especially since this came out like a year before Halo came around and sort of standardized FPS controls on consoles, now they're all based on that scheme in some form or another. This game might be too simple nowadays to appease anyone, even if they enjoyed the original. It's kinda stuck between games that can run on pure nostalgia like Doom, and a more modern FPS that's still applicable to today's standards. 

This will never be the same as the first time you play it, it's like Bioshock.

dutch42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dutch42

ah i'm stoked for this, i played the hell out of this on the n64, now all that remains to be seen is whether my four way multiplayer ass kicking skills transfer to larger (i fucking hope) online games.
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By ZenaxPure
@XII_Sniper: iirc the controls are one of the biggest overhauls to this remake/port thing and will feature different schemes matching other popular FPSes so you can go with what feels right. 

Either way, this is the first FPS I played as a kid and one of my favs, I can't wait.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MikkaQ
@Zenaxzd: Yeah but what of the bigger set pieces, open level designs, enemy variety, and other modern amenities that make up a newer FPS? The Banjo game works on XBLA, because that's a genre that thrives in it's simple nature, but FPS has always been the cornerstone of gaming technology, they're always the games that get the fancy new shader models and other related tech first. FPS games are never valued for going back to basics, the last time that happened was Painkiller, and even that was niche. As fun as this was, I really don't think it'll hold up. Played it recently, and everything feels too dated. Controls won't change that.
Princess_Isabela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Princess_Isabela
@XII_Sniper said:

" @Zenaxzd: Yeah but what of the bigger set pieces, open level designs, enemy variety, and other modern amenities that make up a newer FPS? The Banjo game works on XBLA, because that's a genre that thrives in it's simple nature, but FPS has always been the cornerstone of gaming technology, they're always the games that get the fancy new shader models and other related tech first. FPS games are never valued for going back to basics, the last time that happened was Painkiller, and even that was niche. As fun as this was, I really don't think it'll hold up. Played it recently, and everything feels too dated. Controls won't change that. "

how dare you compare PD to Painkiller? 
lol, I guess you forgot how varied missions in PD really are... 
your judgment has been clouded so I forgive you. 
game holds up extremely well, you'll be reminded of this soon ^^

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@ThePhantomnaut said:

" Not really. I want GoldenEye but that will NEVER happen. "

Perfect Dark was far better than Goldeneye..  It even includes all of the Goldeneye weapons and the best levels.
The only thing missing is the single player missions.  And even they're rumoured to be coming as a slightly tweaked expansion under the name "Bean".  

James Bean doesn't infringe on any copyrights.
Jimmy775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jimmy775
rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By rjaylee

I also am not convinced this game will be as fantastic as many people say it will be. There's no doubt this game was fantastic and had a lot of really great things for it's time, but FPS games have simply matured too much since this came out. 

Maybe my memory is vague, but I don't recall missions in PD being anything more than shoot/activate and moving from point A to point B.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#26  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I actually bought the N64 version a month ago for $6, so I think I will pass. Perfect Dark hasn't aged well at all, and even if they fix the game's crippling frame rate issues and add online multiplayer there are still plenty of issues I have with it that would prevent me from putting down any Microsoft points on it. I'm at the point where I would rather play Doom, actually.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@heatDrive88 said:

" I also am not convinced this game will be as fantastic as many people say it will be. There's no doubt this game was fantastic and had a lot of really great things for it's time, but FPS games have simply matured too much since this came out.  Maybe my memory is vague, but I don't recall missions in PD being anything more than shoot/activate and moving from point A to point B. "

The single player was pretty bad, even for the time.  But I think most people are in this for the multiplayer, it had a lot of great modes, cool weapons, some gret levels, hundreds of options and bots.

Coupled with the improved textures, a good framerate, decent controls and online play.. I'm looking forward to this more than any modern FPS.
Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Fudgeblood
@heatDrive88 said:
"FPS games have simply matured too much since this came out.   "
Yeah bro, regenerating health. Nice, very mature.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fudgeblood said:
" @heatDrive88 said:
"FPS games have simply matured too much since this came out.   "
Yeah bro, regenerating health. Nice, very mature. "
That's... not what he means by matured but... eh.
rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By rjaylee
@Fudgeblood:
Yes, because I singled out one specific gameplay feature that singlehandedly changed the entire landscape of gaming, and I automatically think Halo is the ultimate revolution in FPS games. 

Try again, fuckhead.
Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Fudgeblood
@heatDrive88 said:
" @Fudgeblood: Yes, because I singled out one specific gameplay feature that singlehandedly changed the entire landscape of gaming, and I automatically think Halo is the ultimate revolution in FPS games.   Try again, fuckhead. "
Ok, list one more feature.

Removing dedicated servers and modding capabilities, simplifying games in amazing amounts and forcing DLC down users throats seems to be all that's happening.

Graphics have improved, and engines have gotten alot better but that's hardly "mature". Just better looks.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MikkaQ
@Princess_Isabela said:
" @XII_Sniper said:

" @Zenaxzd: Yeah but what of the bigger set pieces, open level designs, enemy variety, and other modern amenities that make up a newer FPS? The Banjo game works on XBLA, because that's a genre that thrives in it's simple nature, but FPS has always been the cornerstone of gaming technology, they're always the games that get the fancy new shader models and other related tech first. FPS games are never valued for going back to basics, the last time that happened was Painkiller, and even that was niche. As fun as this was, I really don't think it'll hold up. Played it recently, and everything feels too dated. Controls won't change that. "

how dare you compare PD to Painkiller?  lol, I guess you forgot how varied missions in PD really are...  your judgment has been clouded so I forgive you.  game holds up extremely well, you'll be reminded of this soon ^^ "

Wow, you don't get what I'm saying. Painkiller is a throwback shooter, done in the style of Doom and Quake, kinda like Serious Sam was. But it was bascially that game and Serious Sam that have ever done a throwback FPS game, where genre throwbacks are waaay more common in other genres. It's because FPSes do not age well at all. Sure the mission were pretty varied, but we've come so far that everything about it just feel dated. 
rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By rjaylee
@Fudgeblood:
Map designs, interactive environments, destructible environments, free form vs. scripted events, physics engines (no, not JUST ragdoll), new game modes that aren't DM or team DM or CTF, co-op experiences, ONLINE MULTIPLAYER. These are just off the top of my head. Think big picture.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't say Perfect Dark ws a bad game by any means. It's culturally relevant for FPS games, but that doesn't you can put it to the level of current-gen FPS games. It's simply not the right context. 

So I ask one more time. Try again.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By StarFoxA

I haven't heard too much about this remake, but hopefully it will be done right (e.g. not Perfect Dark Zero).

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By rjaylee

I also just remembered, the original Perfect Dark is something like 10 years old. A full decade. A lot of changes in video games have happened since then, mind you.
Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Fudgeblood
@heatDrive88 said:
" @Fudgeblood: Map designs, interactive environments, destructible environments, free form vs. scripted events, physics engines (no, not JUST ragdoll), new game modes that aren't DM or team DM or CTF, co-op experiences, ONLINE MULTIPLAYER. These are just off the top of my head. "
Online multiplayer was done before Perfect Dark was released, interactive environments too, free-form vs scripts was also done a year later (And no doubt before), as with non deathmatch/CTF game modes, map designs haven't improved much (Though they have gotten far more detailed). Physics engines and destructible envrionmets I can't comment on, I can't be bothered doing research.

I have still yet to be convinced as to how games have vastly matured over the years.
rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rjaylee
@Fudgeblood:
I should have been more specific about online multiplayer - I meant the popularization of online multiplayer on consoles.  

In fact just because I threw off a list of a set of features or things that have popped up in games, doesn't mean that those feature sets themselves haven't evolved or changed drastically over the years. When I say 'interactive environments', I obviously don't just mean a goddamned exploding barrel that you shoot at to kill a few surrounding enemies. If you think that somehow sits on par with say the interactibility of the environment in Half Life 2 or Portal, you've got to be kidding me.  Yes, it's the same base-level idea of being able to use something in a space of a game, but it is by no means equally comparable.

You said it yourself, map designs are now more detailed. You need to understand that the progression of detail in all these little things culminate into large scale maturity over a long period of time - such as the decade that has passed since Perfect Dark was released.

Also, if you're going to just make baseless opinions and over simplified comments, just see yourself to the exit.
baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By baconbits33
@XII_Sniper said:
Yeah I was thinking this same thing..... unless they bumped the graphics up... why would I pay 800 points for this?
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheGreatGuero: There was a Banjp-Kazooie re-release? Awesome.

@Princess_Isabela: Glad to hear about Perfect Dark, I'm a firm believer that it, not Goldeneye, was the height of FPSing on the N64.
Tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Tomarlyn

Newbies won't care for it, like Goldeneye its gameplay has aged incredibly badly. It'll be a nostalgia trip for N64 fans and thats it.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Pazy

This seems great for me since I had a chance to play Perfect Dark on N64 and found it hard to play it since im used to the more modern controllers and control scheme so when I tried to play it I kept pressing all the wrong buttons. Though I can play Goldeneye since I played it at the time which is a little odd. Also I only have one N64 controller so this seems like a good plan since its about the same price as getting another N64 controller and its easier to convince friends to play an Xbox 360 game than an N64 game. 800 points also sweetens the deal to make this a day one purchase if I have money at the time.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@heatDrive88 said:

" @Fudgeblood: Map designs, interactive environments, destructible environments, free form vs. scripted events, physics engines (no, not JUST ragdoll), new game modes that aren't DM or team DM or CTF, co-op experiences, ONLINE MULTIPLAYER. These are just off the top of my head. Think big picture. Don't get me wrong, I didn't say Perfect Dark ws a bad game by any means. It's culturally relevant for FPS games, but that doesn't you can put it to the level of current-gen FPS games. It's simply not the right context.  So I ask one more time. Try again. "

Online multiplayer is being adedd, and the majority of modes and features you listed are already in here, ontop of a whole lot more you don't see in games nowadays. 
Yes there's co-op, and even counter-op.  And remember bots?  Something that made games good for those of us who don't like playing online?

Vehicles and regenerating health are about the only two gameplay changes I can think of that modern day FPS' have, that this doesn't.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@GetEveryone: Yeah, both Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie can be downloaded on Xbox Live.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Is this an exclusive?

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @ThePhantomnaut said:

" Not really. I want GoldenEye but that will NEVER happen. "

Perfect Dark was far better than Goldeneye..  It even includes all of the Goldeneye weapons and the best levels. The only thing missing is the single player missions.  And even they're rumoured to be coming as a slightly tweaked expansion under the name "Bean".    James Bean doesn't infringe on any copyrights. "
I am sure you enjoyed it more but I didn't.
threeve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By threeve

ah yes, I think this is a great idea.... I played this all the time with my brothers back in about 2000 it was the cat's pajamas

I may very well buy it on a few conditions:  1. updated controls to mimic modern fps on the 360 controller  2. Split screen and bots need to be in tact as well as all the bot challenges.  If it could fit on a N64 cart it should be easily downloadable!

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

It's about damn time Perfect Dark gets remade. It's one of my fondest memories from the N64.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By EpicSteve

I think this game will rely too much on nostalgia to be enjoyable for new-comers. For those who want Goldeneye, you probably don't/shouldn't.

Princess_Isabela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Princess_Isabela
@XII_Sniper said:

" @Princess_Isabela said:

" @XII_Sniper said:

how dare you compare PD to Painkiller?  lol, I guess you forgot how varied missions in PD really are...  your judgment has been clouded so I forgive you.  game holds up extremely well, you'll be reminded of this soon ^^ "
 Wow, you don't get what I'm saying. Painkiller is a throwback shooter, done in the style of Doom and Quake, kinda like Serious Sam was. But it was bascially that game and Serious Sam that have ever done a throwback FPS game, where genre throwbacks are waaay more common in other genres. It's because FPSes do not age well at all. Sure the mission were pretty varied, but we've come so far that everything about it just feel dated.  "
hehe, I know exactly what you mean. 
I think you're not giving PD credit for what it did, it had almost infinite multiplayer options at the time, 
great single player, overal just a great vibe to it. 
it's improved in every way (graphics, sound, controls, online, etc...),
it's not fair to compare 10 year old game to games released today, I wouldn't even say PD is worse - it's just in different league. 
so why would you even question worthiness of this release, it's $10 !   
I was positive it would hit $15-$20 mark. 
this is the best value out there.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MikkaQ
@Princess_Isabela: Other than MvC2 this week, which is 10$. Fuck yeah. I might buy it for 10 bucks, but there's higher priority games on my list right now. 

But seriously, everything you say is true, however only for "it's time". Like I've been saying, FPS games age pretty bad compared to other games. It feels like with each new milestone in shooting games (the current being MWII I guess), the previous game is just phased out, unlike say.. RPGs which don't change as drastically over time (though vary more), and most tend to be playable these days. That's why old SNES RPGs keep getting remade or ported over to modern consoles and handhelds. FPS remakes/updates aren't very common for a reason.