#1 Posted by Photomic (42 posts) -

With the console launches, it seems the quality of games has taken a hit. It's become common place for the GotY to be holiday release. However, bar AC4 and some Nintendo releases, the end of this year seems incredibly lacking for anyone not getting the new consoles.

Is this a result of games like Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us coming out at strange times, or were developers too focused on just getting a game out on the next gen systems?

#2 Posted by Tearhead (2143 posts) -

Console launch lineups are usually lacking, nothing new there. Also, a lot of great games came out in the past 3-4 months outside of what's available for the PS4 and Xbox One. This end of year is not really any different than recent ones.

Also, by acknowledging AC4 and "some Nintendo titles," you basically argued against yourself.

#3 Posted by bluefish (417 posts) -

It was pretty front loaded in terms of the interesting AAA releases yea. After Infinite, Last of Us and (the very pleasant surprise that was) DmC, there was very little for me to be into except GTA.

I suppose the new hardware did disrupt regular production cycles, staring new IP's and having to spend time with new hardware to get them done. This holiday was pretty bland in most respects.

#4 Posted by audioBusting (1458 posts) -

Between the games you mention, Battlefield 4 and Tearaway, you're just exaggerating the situation. There still are games that aren't usually considered for something like GotY to most but are great (e.g. Killer Instinct, Farming Simulator, Gran Turismo) so it's not that bad. I think there just happened to be more disappointing games this time around.

#5 Posted by Doctorchimp (4067 posts) -

Without a GTA V release in sight for the PC? Yeah for a PC dude without a wii u, it's pretty grim looking.

#6 Edited by Abendlaender (2730 posts) -

Without a GTA V release in sight for the PC? Yeah for a PC dude without a wii u, it's pretty grim looking.

Really? I am a "PC dude" without a WiiU and this was a great year for games.

#7 Posted by Photomic (42 posts) -

@tearhead: I know there are still some really great games coming out, and Nintendo are bringing it like they always do this time of year, but November is typically a AAA title every week, so this year seems severely lacking

@audiobusting: Maybe a little bit, and it has made me go back to play smaller, more niche games. It's just a strange change of pace, considering how hyped everyone was for the console launch

#8 Posted by RazielCuts (2900 posts) -

I'm guessing you're not really a car guy then because if so Gran Turismo 6 would like a word with you.

#9 Posted by AndrewB (7436 posts) -

@doctorchimp said:

Really? I am a "PC dude" without a WiiU and this was a great year for games.

Mostly because I'm catching up on games from last year, purchased on-the-cheap, but I still agree.

#10 Posted by geirr (2468 posts) -

I just know I sorta envy WiiU owners at this point, I've had lots of fun with the PC and some with the PS3 this year (may it RIP) -- but damn, Nintendo's holiday titles are sweeet. Now if only I could convince my wife to leave the 3DS with me for a day or two...

#11 Posted by hermes (1347 posts) -

I agree with you that the next console generation has taken a hit in quality on the latest games (I blame it for the pitiful state FIFA 14 and Battlefield 4 still are), however, I think its worth pointing out the beginning and middle of the year has been pretty good (in contrast with other years, where they tend to be a wasteland). After all, it has The Last of Us, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Rising, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Saints Row 4, Ni No Kuni and Rayman Legends, among others...

#12 Posted by hermes (1347 posts) -

@razielcuts: Is it out yet?

After being burned with Battlefield 4 and Need for Speed, I think we should consider the possibility it might suck.

#13 Posted by armaan8014 (5312 posts) -

Yeah as a PC gamer I had a pretty shitty year of gaming. I enjoyed Tomb Raider and AC4, but no so much the other ones. Bioshock was okay.

#14 Edited by MonetaryDread (1986 posts) -

Geez, there is no pleasing the gaming community. For two decades people have been complaining about how the quality titles are all crammed into a two or three month period instead of spreading them out. This year I feel like all the quality titles have been distributed evenly and then people complain about how winter isn't an embarrassment of riches. I am starting to wonder how many threads are just people trying to be heard, not actually pointing out anything worthwhile.

This year:

• Retro Cirty Rampage
  • DMC
  • The Cave
  • Ni No Kuni
  • Antichamber
  • Fire Emblem
  • Monaco
  • Dead Space 3 (its divisive, but the game is more disapointing than bad)
  • Crysis 3 (Same as Dead Space, not bad just not exceptional)
  • Etrian Odysea 4 + Origins
  • Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
  • Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
  • Bioshock
  • FFXIV
  • Kentucky Route Zero
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us
  • Don't Starve
  • Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen
  • Thomas Was Alone
  • Blood Dragon
  • Metro: Last Light
  • Class of Heroes 2
  • Remember Me
  • Last of Us
  • new Super Luigi U
  • Company of Heroes 2
  • Metal Gear Rising
  • Tomb Raider
  • Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm
  • Rogue Legacy
  • SMT 4
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Rise of the Triad (middling game, but awesome at the same time)
  • Pikmin 3
  • Tales of Xillia
  • Brothers
  • Guacamelee
  • Papers Please
  • Europa Universalis
  • Mario and Luigi: Dream Team
  • Payday 2
  • Gone Home
  • Space Hulk
  • Splinter Cell
  • Saints Row 4
  • Rayman Legends
  • Amnesia
  • Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
  • Wonderful 101
  • Infinity Blade III
  • Batman: Arkham Origins - The worst thing about this game was that it was only as good as the last one... bummer :)
  • GTA 5
  • Beyond: Two Souls
  • Disgaea D2
  • F1 2013
  • Wolf Among Us
  • Pokemon
  • Assasins Creed 4
  • Battlefield
  • Typing of the Dead
  • COD: Ghosts (say what you will about franchise fatigue, that game is still good)
  • Zoo Tycoon
  • Resogun
  • Killer Instinct
  • Tearaway
  • Dead Rising 3
  • Y's: Memories of Celeceta
  • Gran Turismo 6
  • The Room 2

Looking at that list I can see that we had a pretty awesome year of gaming... its just things were spread out.

#15 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4513 posts) -

@monetarydread said:

Geez, there is no pleasing the gaming community. For two decades people have been complaining about how the quality titles are all crammed into a two or three month period instead of spreading them out. This year I feel like all the quality titles have been distributed evenly and then people complain about how winter isn't an embarrassment of riches.

It's a good problem to have. Like saying "Oh man I got snowed in today! Guess I'll have nothing to do but marathon season 3 of Game of Thrones!"

While yes, technically, it is a problem it's one where the complaints are said with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

#16 Posted by RazielCuts (2900 posts) -

@hermes said:

After being burned with Battlefield 4 and Need for Speed, I think we should consider the possibility it might suck.

Well I'm not sure how Gran Turismo is related to BF4 or NFS as it's not published by EA, if thats the connection you were trying to make? But yeah, its out 6th December and we'll see how it shapes up, looks quite nice though -

#17 Posted by adam1808 (1355 posts) -

Its been an amazing year for videogames. Also Zelda. There's your holiday great game for you.

#18 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

What's wrong with Battlefield 4? As far as I'm concerned, it's the best Battlefield to date, at least multiplayer-wise - and that's what I'm in for with Battlefield.

Also - 2013's vintage of games has been incredible overall. GTA V and The Last of Us for example. True greats.

#19 Edited by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

The year peaked with Remember Me.

Nah, there were still pretty rad games throughout the whole year. I'm fine with not having a deluge of games these last two months before 2014. 2013 was a pretty alright year for gaming.

#20 Edited by AMyggen (2449 posts) -

@hermes said:

Well I'm not sure how Gran Turismo is related to BF4 or NFS as it's not published by EA, if thats the connection you were trying to make? But yeah, its out 6th December and we'll see how it shapes up, looks quite nice though -

What's up with the awful music in the GT6 trailers released so far?

Anyways, GT6 looks kinda cool, but they burned me with GT5 and all the ugly stock cars/environments. I'll see how it's recieved before trying it out myself.

#21 Edited by AMyggen (2449 posts) -

@seppli said:

What's wrong with Battlefield 4? As far as I'm concerned, it's the best Battlefield to date, at least multiplayer-wise - and that's what I'm in for with Battlefield.

Also - 2013's vintage of games has been incredible overall. GTA V and The Last of Us for example. True greats.

The problem with BF4 is that it was, at least for many, more or less broken a couple of weeks after release. That's a big issue. The game itself is good though, even if it's Battlefield 3.5.

#22 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@amyggen said:

@seppli said:

The problem with BF4 is that it was, at least for many, more or less broken a couple of weeks after release. That's a big issue. The game itself is good though, even if it's Battlefield 3.5.

It's just about done installing. Hopefully it'll be fine for me. Now just to go out and settle the bill, and go on a beer run to celebrate the happy occassion - then it's Battlefield 4 time! *knocks on wood*

#23 Posted by hermes (1347 posts) -

@razielcuts said:

@hermes said:

I am not making a connection to EA... just that after the last couple of games I was anticipating ended up being disappointing or broken, I try not to get too excited about new games until I get to actually play them.

In any case, I wouldn't count Q4 as "redeemed" because of a game we have only seen trailers of.

#24 Posted by probablytuna (3522 posts) -

I'm glad that the best games of the year aren't crammed together in one month like in previous years.

#25 Edited by jkz (3998 posts) -

I'm glad that the best games of the year aren't crammed together in one month like in previous years.

Mmmmmmmhmmmmmm. I'll take the profusion of great games spread throughout the year over the old-style year-end glut

#26 Posted by Veektarius (4530 posts) -

AC4 is decent, but it's been a real long while since I played a release that I liked without caveats. Like, not since Tomb Raider.

#27 Edited by Atlas (2428 posts) -

I agree with the OP, to an extent. The last couple of months have really slowed down for me as far as new releases goes, speaking as someone who has abstained from the new console fervour, but then again the general quality of 2013 has been so high that it doesn't really matter. I like the trend towards good games coming out throughout the year as opposed to the mad Q4 crunch, and it's normal for there to be a lull of a couple of months where there are no games coming out that interest you; we just live in a strange world now where that can happen in November.

My four favourite games of 2013 have all been released prior to the start of September: BioShock Infinite (March), Europa Universalis IV (August), The Last of Us (June), and Fire Emblem: Awakening (April). And I am totally OK with that.

#28 Edited by EXTomar (4442 posts) -

Why is it important to have big, shocking releases at the end of the year? It only looks bad if you narrow your viewpoint to a specific frame.

#29 Edited by big_jon (5707 posts) -

What are you talking about? I'm sitting on like 5 great games right now on my Xbox One/Wii U

#30 Edited by Dalai (6976 posts) -

It was either this or an unfinished version of Watch Dogs and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. It hasn't been a truly great year, but at least the games were more spread out than usual. Unless you're Nintendo then just release all your awesome shit in one day.

#31 Edited by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

I think the TC has a short memory or this is their first console cycle. Launch titles. Last gen we had Lair, Perfect Dark Zero, King Kong, and Gundam Crossfire. Stop crying.

I have AC4, Killzone, need for Speed, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, Contrast, and Warframe between my PS4 and Xone. In addition to everything still coming out on Steam. I'm happier than a pig in... Well... You know.

#32 Posted by TheHT (10786 posts) -

Maybe strictly end of year, sure, but otherwise it's been a pretty great year for video games I think.

#33 Posted by JasonR86 (9577 posts) -

That's a rather dramatic thread title and conclusion.

#34 Posted by ProfessorEss (7253 posts) -

I haven't been able to keep up with a quarter since like, 2005 so it's all gravy to me.

#35 Edited by YukoAsho (2001 posts) -

@tearhead said:

Console launch lineups are usually lacking, nothing new there. Also, a lot of great games came out in the past 3-4 months outside of what's available for the PS4 and Xbox One. This end of year is not really any different than recent ones.

I was about to say. If anything, this is one of the better launches I've seen. Not as awesome as the 360 or SNES launch, but certainly better than the launches of, say the Genesis, the PS1/2/3, all Sega consoles...

Mother fuckers are spoiled now. I remember picking up buggy ass Eternal Ring and crappy ass Orphen: Scion of Sorcery with my PS2 at launch - I'd have liked it to launch with something like Knack or Killzone: Shadow Fall back then, holy shit.

God damned kids.

#36 Posted by DonutFever (3546 posts) -

3DS has been fantastic recently. Pokemon, Ace Attorney, and Zelda.

#37 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5112 posts) -

There's still SO many games I've yet to play it's not really a problem for me.

#38 Edited by subyman (587 posts) -

The big AAA titles have definitely struggled this year. It is funny seeing big publishers putting out press releases saying they are sorry for all the bugs. I've had a blast playing smaller games though, great year for those.

#39 Edited by tourgen (4426 posts) -

There's been some great games this year but the big ones didn't interest me at all or were busted on release day. Yeah it's been a weird year. I've been replaying Dark Souls, sinking hours into Borderlands 2, and playing some surprisingly good games on my new Vita. But as far as AAA releases go I skipped most of them - all but AC4.

#40 Edited by Hungry (165 posts) -

I went from having no 3DS at the start of the year to having a 3DS and 10 fantastic games and I am thinking of picking up two more. It is kind of ridiculous how well the 3DS did this year. A Link Between Worlds was absolutely delightful and one of the best Zelda games in a long time - especially after Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, and the DS Wind Waker spinoffs, which were all okay at best.

#41 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2855 posts) -

I wish I could flag incredibly pathetic threads for deletion. Never mind that it's wrong, unless you are talking 100% specifically about 360/PS3 games, it's just a completely pointless and irrelevant perspective.

rage

#42 Edited by Karmosin (207 posts) -

All I know is that I bought Tearaway yesterday and I haven't been able to get this goddamn smile of my face yet.

#43 Posted by Hunter5024 (5503 posts) -

I think its been normal. I rarely find myself interested in too many end of year releases.

#44 Posted by Noblenerf (299 posts) -

All I know is that the post-release cancellation of Ashes Cricket is remarkable.