OnLive - Gaming without the Hardware

Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Edited By Saieno

OnLive made a huge impact on gaming news sites, but mainly with doubts and other concerns with the technology. For those that aren't familiar with OnLive, it's a  gaming on-demand service that uses cloud computing to stream video of a game playing on a high performance server. So basically, you logon to the service, pick a game, and you're playing without any downloading, a gaming console, or high performance computer.

The OnLive service is created by Steve Perlman (Atari, Apple, WebTV and MOVA) and Mike McGarvey (Eidos), and hopes to bring high quality gaming to gamers who can't afford to upgrade computer hardware or gaming consoles. Many people are worried about how it will affect the gaming industry, hardware and console manufactures, and if it will even work. Here are my thoughts, and why I think OnLive will revolutionize gaming without taking it over.

Console Gaming will always be around because of first party titles such as Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, Gears of War, Halo 3, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, and so forth. These are the titles that sell consoles, and a service like OnLive will probably not have these titles unless Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo made them available for it. A more realistic scenario would be Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony adapting their own version of OnLive with their entire library available through a similar service. As long as there are compelling first party games, consoles will continue to sell.

Video Cards and Computer Hardware Upgrade sales have been declining since the current generation of consoles. Hardcore PC Gamers, Game Developers, Console Manufacturers, Movie Industry etc, all rely on advanced computer hardware and the latest technology. The target audience of OnLive isn't going to update their computers, if they even own a computer. Some gamers are looking at OnLive as a means to never buy a console or upgrade their PCs again, but there will be games on a console or PC that OnLive won't support that you'll want to play.

No Caption Provided

So with the consoles and computer hardware worries out of the way, lets move on to the publishers which are the ones who benefit the most from OnLive. OnLive will give casual gamers, parents, and lower income households the ability to play high quality games on their TV or basic laptop for a small fee. This means developers can get their games out to a larger audience, and the development studios can take bigger risks. Piracy is also eliminated with the OnLive service, since players don't have physical access to the games, hardware, or servers. Piracy is way too popular for PC Games and Console Games, mainly because gamers don't care if the development studios get the funds to continue working or not; just as long as they get to play the new hot game. I won't get into a long winded explanation about why piracy needs to stop, how it hurts gaming, etc because I know those that do pirate software and games could care less.

With the OnLive system many are worried about bandwidth usage for capped lines and latency. When using the OnLive service, there's two quality settings that you can play at based on the connection speed of your ISP. A resolution of 720p requires a connection that is marketed at 5MB, and standard definition requires a connection that is marketed at 1.5MB. This doesn't mean that it will use 5MB/s for 720p gaming or 1.5MB/s for standard definition gaming, but more like (and this is an estimate) 150kb/s to 300kb/s for standard and 300kb/s to 500kb/s for 720p while using the service. That's about 60-120 hours of 720p gaming a month for those on bandwidth capped connections (depending on the connection of course), which is a very reasonable amount of gaming in my opinion.

And finally, I don't see how some can be skeptical of the service. It's taken 7 years to develop, and Steve Pearlman has helped pioneer many current mainstays in internet and technology (QuickTime, WebTV, MOVA). So it's been demonstrated at GDC, they have the support of 10 major publishing partners, and Steve Pearlman with Mike McGarvey is at the head of OnLive. There's no reason to doubt their achievement, and OnLive will revolutionize the gaming industry as we know it for the better. Pricing will be affordable, more people will be able to game, and publishers get more sales and don't have to worry about piracy. Overall it's a very positive service, and others should put their skepticisms aside and embrace a step forward for games and development. Gaming hasn't progressed in years, and OnLive is just what we need to push gaming further and keep it alive.

Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Saieno

OnLive made a huge impact on gaming news sites, but mainly with doubts and other concerns with the technology. For those that aren't familiar with OnLive, it's a  gaming on-demand service that uses cloud computing to stream video of a game playing on a high performance server. So basically, you logon to the service, pick a game, and you're playing without any downloading, a gaming console, or high performance computer.

The OnLive service is created by Steve Perlman (Atari, Apple, WebTV and MOVA) and Mike McGarvey (Eidos), and hopes to bring high quality gaming to gamers who can't afford to upgrade computer hardware or gaming consoles. Many people are worried about how it will affect the gaming industry, hardware and console manufactures, and if it will even work. Here are my thoughts, and why I think OnLive will revolutionize gaming without taking it over.

Console Gaming will always be around because of first party titles such as Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, Gears of War, Halo 3, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, and so forth. These are the titles that sell consoles, and a service like OnLive will probably not have these titles unless Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo made them available for it. A more realistic scenario would be Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony adapting their own version of OnLive with their entire library available through a similar service. As long as there are compelling first party games, consoles will continue to sell.

Video Cards and Computer Hardware Upgrade sales have been declining since the current generation of consoles. Hardcore PC Gamers, Game Developers, Console Manufacturers, Movie Industry etc, all rely on advanced computer hardware and the latest technology. The target audience of OnLive isn't going to update their computers, if they even own a computer. Some gamers are looking at OnLive as a means to never buy a console or upgrade their PCs again, but there will be games on a console or PC that OnLive won't support that you'll want to play.

No Caption Provided

So with the consoles and computer hardware worries out of the way, lets move on to the publishers which are the ones who benefit the most from OnLive. OnLive will give casual gamers, parents, and lower income households the ability to play high quality games on their TV or basic laptop for a small fee. This means developers can get their games out to a larger audience, and the development studios can take bigger risks. Piracy is also eliminated with the OnLive service, since players don't have physical access to the games, hardware, or servers. Piracy is way too popular for PC Games and Console Games, mainly because gamers don't care if the development studios get the funds to continue working or not; just as long as they get to play the new hot game. I won't get into a long winded explanation about why piracy needs to stop, how it hurts gaming, etc because I know those that do pirate software and games could care less.

With the OnLive system many are worried about bandwidth usage for capped lines and latency. When using the OnLive service, there's two quality settings that you can play at based on the connection speed of your ISP. A resolution of 720p requires a connection that is marketed at 5MB, and standard definition requires a connection that is marketed at 1.5MB. This doesn't mean that it will use 5MB/s for 720p gaming or 1.5MB/s for standard definition gaming, but more like (and this is an estimate) 150kb/s to 300kb/s for standard and 300kb/s to 500kb/s for 720p while using the service. That's about 60-120 hours of 720p gaming a month for those on bandwidth capped connections (depending on the connection of course), which is a very reasonable amount of gaming in my opinion.

And finally, I don't see how some can be skeptical of the service. It's taken 7 years to develop, and Steve Pearlman has helped pioneer many current mainstays in internet and technology (QuickTime, WebTV, MOVA). So it's been demonstrated at GDC, they have the support of 10 major publishing partners, and Steve Pearlman with Mike McGarvey is at the head of OnLive. There's no reason to doubt their achievement, and OnLive will revolutionize the gaming industry as we know it for the better. Pricing will be affordable, more people will be able to game, and publishers get more sales and don't have to worry about piracy. Overall it's a very positive service, and others should put their skepticisms aside and embrace a step forward for games and development. Gaming hasn't progressed in years, and OnLive is just what we need to push gaming further and keep it alive.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Godwind

Nintendo will be immune to this.

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Brundage
Godwind said:
"Nintendo will be immune to this."
The big three will be immune to this, As long as there's still a significant amount of people willing to buy consoles to play exclusives like Halo, MGS, Mario ext...  there's still a market.
Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Saieno
Brundage said:
"Godwind said:
"Nintendo will be immune to this."
The big three will be immune to this, As long as there's still a significant amount of people willing to buy consoles to play exclusives like Halo, MGS, Mario ext...  there's still a market."
Exactly, I don't see where in the article I said otherwise lol. Infact here's the quote Godwind:

"Console Gaming will always be around because of first party titles such as Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, Gears of War, Halo 3, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, and so forth. These are the titles that sell consoles, and a service like OnLive will probably not have these titles unless Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo made them available for it. A more realistic scenario would be Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony adapting their own version of OnLive with their entire library available through a similar service. As long as there are compelling first party games, consoles will continue to sell."
Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Brundage

Ya I love the idea, just a little skeptical to see if they can pull it off. Also wondering how they're ganna do rts games?

Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Saieno

They work just like any other game. You can use a Keyboard and Mouse with the micro-console.

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Brundage
Saieno said:
"They work just like any other game. You can use a Keyboard and Mouse with the micro-console."
dope
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Godwind

I really doubt that will happen with all video game companies.
Nintendo, for some strange reason, seems to be able to come out alive on things.  I think Nintendo fans will go along without the use of cloud computing.  If Nintendo is not doing it, it is not inexpensive

Between Microsoft, Sony and OnLive, two of them are going to break as a console developer.

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Brundage
Godwind said:
"I really doubt that will happen with all video game companies.Nintendo, for some strange reason, seems to be able to come out alive on things.  I think Nintendo fans will go along without the use of cloud computing.  If Nintendo is not doing it, it is not inexpensiveBetween Microsoft, Sony and OnLive, two of them are going to break as a console developer."
As long as people are willing to buy a 300 dollar piece of hardware every 4 to 5 years to play exclusives I don't see why all of them can't stay alive?
Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Saieno
Godwind said:
"I really doubt that will happen with all video game companies.Nintendo, for some strange reason, seems to be able to come out alive on things.  I think Nintendo fans will go along without the use of cloud computing.  If Nintendo is not doing it, it is not inexpensiveBetween Microsoft, Sony and OnLive, two of them are going to break as a console developer."
I think your reasoning is poorly supported. If any of the three console developers is to stop first, it will be Nintendo. They have no other line of products other than video games to fund their development, unlike Microsoft with Windows and other products and Sony with Blu-Ray, PCs, TVs, etc. I see Nintendo either going the third party route, or sticking with hand-helds instead of home consoles.
Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Brundage
armacore said:
"anyone with decent knowledge of how the internet works knows that onlive is a totally flawed idea."
how so?
Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Saieno
armacore said:
"anyone with decent knowledge of how the internet works knows that onlive is a totally flawed idea."
Yeah, tell that to the creator of Quicktime and WebTV. He spent 7 years developing OnLive and it may be flawed with how YOU think the internet works, but he pioneered video streaming and he's pioneering video game streaming.
Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Saieno
armacore said:
yes, the creator of two great big successes in computer history. it's a giant gimmick. there's two major problems that onlive runs into and cannot get past: latency and performance. the only way onlive could defy latency is if it uses a hyper-accurate prediction engine, which would be difficult to implement. and performance? nothing you can do there, you would have to buy entire datacenters packed with experimental server technology to efficiently process data (game engine stuff, prediction, encoding) for a decently-sized userbase. being a pioneer of video streaming (lol) doesn't change anything."
Kinda funny since everything you just said is exactly what he has. Extremely accurate prediction engine, data centers with experimental server technology etc. How about you actually watch the GDC OnLive Demonstration and read the documentation before you start posting that they need exactly what they already have.
Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Saieno
armacore said:
you seem to think that "professionals" are completely restricted from spouting bullshit all over gullible end-users like you. i should've mentioned that you need a fucking shitload of servers to support a user base of, uh, let's say a hundred thousand. let's say one onlive server can handle ten instances of crysis war/head/s (which i spotted in the video) along with the prediction and encoding. you would need ten thousand servers to handle that, assuming all of them wanted to play crysis wars. incase you're a scrublord, that amount of servers is fucking ridiculous to maintain, and would cost a fortune with the "experimental server technology".give up and stop believing this shit."
Have you played it? Have you even tried it out? It works, I don't know what the heck you're going on about with something that actually works. Guess you want to call Jeff out on it, since he's tried it as well. There's already beta testing going on, they have server centers setup and the service is live. Doesn't matter how many profanities you decide to post, you're wrong. And if you end up getting a beta invite or purchasing it this winter, I'm sure you'll gladly participate and forget you even posted any of this.
Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Brundage
armacore said:
"Saieno said:
"armacore said:
Yeah, tell that to the creator of Quicktime and WebTV. He spent 7 years developing OnLive and it may be flawed with how YOU think the internet works, but he pioneered video streaming and he's pioneering video game streaming. "
yes, the creator of two great big successes in computer history. it's a giant gimmick. there's two major problems that onlive runs into and cannot get past: latency and performance. the only way onlive could defy latency is if it uses a hyper-accurate prediction engine, which would be difficult to implement. and performance? nothing you can do there, you would have to buy entire datacenters packed with experimental server technology to efficiently process data (game engine stuff, prediction, encoding) for a decently-sized userbase. being a pioneer of video streaming (lol) doesn't change anything."
If Einstein told me light rays from distant stars were deflected by the gravity of the sun and a random calculus student told me otherwise, who do you think I would believe? lol
Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Brundage
armacore said:
"Brundage said:
"If Einstein told me light rays from distant stars were deflected by the gravity of the sun and a random calculus student told me otherwise, who do you think I would believe? lol"
the random calculus student depending on how good his evidence is."
lol i rest my case
fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fr0br0

I don't know whether it will work or not, but I HOPE it does. I've missed out on gaming on my PC for years because my laptop is so weak. If this works, it will be a huge revolution for the PC market. But I have no idea where this will go so I'll just wait and see.

Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Saieno
armacore said:
"Brundage said:
"armacore said:
"Brundage said:
"If Einstein told me light rays from distant stars were deflected by the gravity of the sun and a random calculus student told me otherwise, who do you think I would believe? lol"
the random calculus student depending on how good his evidence is."
lol i rest my case"
you have nothing to disprove my evidence. my evidence is solid knowledge of how the internet and computers works. the guy who invented webtv spouting obvious bullshit isn't disproving."
Let me ask you this, why is it so hard for you to believe something that you can try for yourself? Why are you focused on the negative without even thinking of acknowledging that it might work? And even if OnLive didn't do what it can, what would happen? Nothing. So why are you so consciously ignorant of it and against it? You're doing nothing but completely ignoring any point made and asking for more to ignore. I would assume that even if you WERE playing on the OnLive server, you'd still convince yourself it wasn't real and come up with some excuse as to why it works other than intended. Your posts are enough to show majority of people with decent reasoning skills that you obviously have some personal grudge against the OnLive service. And why does anyone have to win in a discussion? I already know you're wrong so why do you assume this is some contest where someone needs to be defeated? Anyway I'm done arguing with you until you find better resources that Wikipedia, since I could go edit that same article with whatever fiction I could create.
Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Saieno
armacore said:
"Fr0Br0 said:
"I don't know whether it will work or not, but I HOPE it does. I've missed out on gaming on my PC for years because my laptop is so weak. If this works, it will be a huge revolution for the PC market. But I have no idea where this will go so I'll just wait and see."
hate to break it to you, but it won't. even if the idea of onlive was realistic, it wouldn't be reliable. just upgrade to a newer pc, it's well worth it, you'll be able to do way more (game modding etc), and you'll also be able to run intensive non-gaming applications."
Please don't hijack this with your 'beliefs' and unsupported theories.
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Godwind
Saieno said:
"Godwind said:
I think your reasoning is poorly supported. If any of the three console developers is to stop first, it will be Nintendo. They have no other line of products other than video games to fund their development, unlike Microsoft with Windows and other products and Sony with Blu-Ray, PCs, TVs, etc. I see Nintendo either going the third party route, or sticking with hand-helds instead of home consoles."
I don't find that to be the case at all.  In fact Nintendo is the oldest of all 4 companies.  In fact it Nintendo over 100 years old.  Sony was made after World War 2 and Microsoft was in 1975.
Also to be noted, Nintendo has proven time from time why they have been able to survive so long.  Many of their innovations from how games have been designed such as Creating the platform genre, creating the adventure genre, interacting in 3-D environments and ect.  Then introducing motion controls and introducing video games to a new line of audiences.

Also just because a company is larger means they are more adept to survival.  So much needs to managed in these companies that should a bad circumstance occur, it does put in question whether they can handle it.  Since Nintendo keeps things relatively simple, they can change their practices to meet their needs.  Companies like Sony and Microsoft would need to make quick changes, something that would need to be done by cutting jobs and cutting product lines before getting a proper handle on the issue

You just happen to offer the same generic "Nintendo is going in the way of Sega" rhetoric. Sega screwed up on a lot of things and burned their customers.  The same Rhetoric could be said about Sony with their lack luster console profits and Microsoft with their poor hardware design.

Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Saieno
Godwind said:
You just happen to offer the same generic "Nintendo is going in the way of Sega" rhetoric. Sega screwed up on a lot of things and burned their customers.  The same Rhetoric could be said about Sony with their lack luster console profits and Microsoft with their poor hardware design."
Actually Sega stepped out of the console race once presidents were changed, a race in which they could have easily competed in with the Dreamcast. Regardless, I don't think Nintendo will stop making games, I just think they will stop making home consoles. Hand-helds are a great market for them, and their games are unique and fun, but their consoles haven't been the best (especially their game libraries). Anyway, this is about OnLive, which focuses just on the games and not on the consoles. Regardless of your preference (which is obviously Nintendo) the OnLive service could potentially have first party games from Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. At that point it would be a discussion about which games you like, inviting people to watch your broadcast of you playing it, and then encouraging them to join you in a multiplayer session. If it's just the Nintendo consoles you love then so be it, but it's software that matters.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Red
armacore said:
"Godwind said:
In fact Nintendo is the oldest of all 4 companies.  In fact it Nintendo over 100 years old.
that's cool, tell me some interesting things about nintendo between 1889 to 1975."
They made Hanafuda cards.
Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Saieno
armacore said:
"
No Caption Provided
wow, i haven't heard of linear or interactive video compression. oh right, that's because they're made up terms that don't really exist. onlive uses the same compression you see on youtube, that workprint of x-men origins you downloaded via torrents, your satellite/cable service, etc.compression of video doesn't defy latency."
You realize that he defines the terms in the conference right? I don't see why you keep posting, as it's basically spam and doing nothing but showing exactly how ridiculous you are. For those that won't watch the GDC Demonstration, he says that current technology for streaming video (since he created it he would know...) is linear video, the new technology he created for video game streaming is interactive video. Why don't you just say the earth is flat and be gone?
Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Saieno
armacore said:
defining made up terms.

there is nothing special about "video game streaming". it's like remote desktop except with really shitty compression.do you even know anything about what i've mentioned the past dozen posts? i don't know if you've been using computers for more than three quarters of your lifetime and have researched networking and compression in the process."
Where do words come from? Their creators. 20 years ago when he was saying 'video compression' I'm sure you'd be arguing it doesn't exist just as you are now. it's funny and sad at the same time really, and I can't believe I find myself still replying to you. See that video you linked? That's the 720p on the left and standard on the right you fool.....
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By JJWeatherman

I didn't catch that video before, thanx for posting.

Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Saieno
JJWeatherman said:
"I didn't catch that video before, thanx for posting."
No problem, glad it shed some light on OnLive for you.

armacore
said:
the thing is, i never said video compression didn't exist, i said that "linear"/"interactive" video compression are made up terms that don't really make sense. steve perlman didn't invent anything related with video compression or streaming video, except for quicktime which is mostly just a media player and a container format. i'm not even going to bother arguing with the video statement because i'm starting to believe that you're just a troll."
I'll try to explain this to you though I don't know why, since you'll just ignore it and/or deny it etc. Linear Video Streaming is what everyone is currently using, and because it was made primarily for video it has a lag built-in. The label 'Linear Video Streaming' comes from the fact that it has one purpose, streaming video with audio so latency isn't an issue when playing it back. The label 'Interactive Video Streaming' comes from the fact that is has multiple purposes, such as player control input, next frame calculation, and finally the video and audio all at a much faster rate than is currently used to prevent latency. Back in 1991 at the WorldWide Developers Conference when Apple first publicly demonstrated QuickTime by showing Apple's famous 1984 TV Commercial on a Mac, it was an amazing technological breakthrough and took Microsoft a year to catch up. Now, nearly 20 years later, we get another technological breakthrough and some people are skeptical. Seven years in development, lead by Steve Perlman and Mike McGarvey, and it's been public demonstrated and shown to work. There are also similar products such as SteamMyGame that are novel but aren't even close to the research and development of OnLive. This is the future of gaming, and can be applied to any device with a browser (PC, Mac, Linux, Phones, etc). OnLive is leading the charge, and it's already proven itself to work, so you may not agree with the technology but I don't see how you can deny it's existance.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By CL60

stfu armacore and stop being such a moron troll.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By CL60
armacore said:
"Saieno said:
"JJWeatherman said:
"I didn't catch that video before, thanx for posting."
No problem, glad it shed some light on OnLive for you.

armacore
said:
the thing is, i never said video compression didn't exist, i said that "linear"/"interactive" video compression are made up terms that don't really make sense. steve perlman didn't invent anything related with video compression or streaming video, except for quicktime which is mostly just a media player and a container format. i'm not even going to bother arguing with the video statement because i'm starting to believe that you're just a troll."
I'll try to explain this to you though I don't know why, since you'll just ignore it and/or deny it etc. Linear Video Streaming is what everyone is currently using, and because it was made primarily for video it has a lag built-in. The label 'Linear Video Streaming' comes from the fact that it has one purpose, streaming video with audio so latency isn't an issue when playing it back. The label 'Interactive Video Streaming' comes from the fact that is has multiple purposes, such as player control input, next frame calculation, and finally the video and audio all at a much faster rate than is currently used to prevent latency. Back in 1991 at the WorldWide Developers Conference when Apple first publicly demonstrated QuickTime by showing Apple's famous 1984 TV Commercial on a Mac, it was an amazing technological breakthrough and took Microsoft a year to catch up. Now, nearly 20 years later, we get another technological breakthrough and some people are skeptical. Seven years in development, lead by Steve Perlman and Mike McGarvey, and it's been public demonstrated and shown to work. There are also similar products such as SteamMyGame that are novel but aren't even close to the research and development of OnLive. This is the future of gaming, and can be applied to any device with a browser (PC, Mac, Linux, Phones, etc). OnLive is leading the charge, and it's already proven itself to work, so you may not agree with the technology but I don't see how you can deny it's existance."
you have no clue what you're talking about and you're still ignoring any evidence i have given in this thread. stop bringing up irrelevant crap. there is no special difference between what perlman calls "linear" and "interactive" video streaming, his claims of reduced latency are incredibly nonsensical. but the main issue is the unrealistic amount of resources needed to run and maintain it. keep in mind that the only people using onlive at this moment are the creators themselves, since i haven't heard anything out of a closed beta. you still think that just because he's a "professional" and it's been in "silent developement" for 7 years (another stupid claim), he pbviously knows what he's talking about and can't make shit up. god damn, i think i'm losing my sanity."
Losing your sanity? No you're just a moron.
Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Saieno
armacore said:
you have no clue what you're talking about and you're still ignoring any evidence i have given in this thread. stop bringing up irrelevant crap. there is no special difference between what perlman calls "linear" and "interactive" video streaming, his claims of reduced latency are incredibly nonsensical. but the main issue is the unrealistic amount of resources needed to run and maintain it. keep in mind that the only people using onlive at this moment are the creators themselves, since i haven't heard anything out of a closed beta. you still think that just because he's a "professional" and it's been in "silent developement" for 7 years (another stupid claim), he pbviously knows what he's talking about and can't make shit up. god damn, i think i'm losing my sanity."
You haven't given any evidence except to spout out-dated methods of how streaming video works. Check out the OnLive video on GiantBomb for example, where they are physically playing it at GDC. Please stop making yourself look like an idiot, as it's already past trolling and bordering on voluntary stupidity.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By jNerd

OnLive is stupid /end

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By jNerd
armacore said:
"Godwind said:
In fact Nintendo is the oldest of all 4 companies.  In fact it Nintendo over 100 years old.
that's cool, tell me some interesting things about nintendo between 1889 to 1975."
They made vacuum cleaners & owned a love-hotel....
/pwnd
Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Saieno

I really wonder why I even bother...

Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Saieno
armacore said:
you can live with being an ignorant, stubborn jerkface for the rest of your life, and decieve people into believing that onlive will work. i really wish i was making shit up about how the internet actually works."
Why so malicious and what exactly is your problem? People will see for themselves when OnLive releases this Winter, and the only 'ignorant, stubborn jerkface' is you. I'm not going to try explaining this to you anymore as all of the information you need has been posted here and else where around the net.
Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Saieno
armacore said:
"better interwebs" wouldn't fix latency, and performance won't change much in the future because newer games will need more performance (which general1337 went over), and would need even more resources. and all that information you mentioned is just a bunch of videos of steve "i invented quicktime" perlman making up weird stuff. the only reason why it's working now (i heard things about the latency being noticable too) is because there's only a few people using it simultaneously, and general1337 told me that there was about 6 people using onlive at once at gdc, which is plausible with a couple servers."
So you've gone from "It's impossible!" to "Yeah well it works but..." I don't care what General1337 has to say, and would sooner take NoobToobs first hand accounts.

(Warning: Profanity, not safe for work)

What you should also keep in mind, is GDC 2009 was the public unveiling of OnLive and was also playable at the same time. It's still being worked on, and 100,000 players haven't been tested yet. However, six people using it at OnLive aren't all the people on the OnLive service, as there is internal/friends & family testing. We don't know how performance will be with hundreds of thousands of players using the service, but that's what beta is for. Watch the NoobToob video.
Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Saieno
armacore said:
"Saieno said:
"We don't know how performance will be with hundreds of thousands of players using the service"
and we'll never know because it requires an unrealistic amount of resources (resources being money, hardware, upgrading, maintenance, networking, and performance) for an actual userbase. there's no secret patented technology that reduces the need for resources."
Again, beta will be starting soon, guess we'll find out won't we?
Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Saieno
armacore said:
depends on how big the beta is, which seems to be closed. any idea when it will start?"
They say summer, so I would expect a few more weeks to let semesters end.