Onlive - Truly Astounding Games Evolution

Argus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

Edited By Argus

I've been paying attention to the Games Developers Conference that's been going on this week in California, and some really innovative stuff is landing. By far the biggest splash I've seen was generated by OnLive, an online web service that allows one to play video games over the internet. The astounding thing about this service is that the games one plays aren't simply flash games - mainly 2d concepts that run in a tiny window of the screen - nor is one downloading a massive, high tech title that runs only poorly on an entry-level computer. At the risk of sounding like an advertisement, OnLive is an amazing work of technology because it allows the user to play any title made available to it, from the Xbox360, the PC, the Playstation 3 - at full graphics quality, by streaming it over the internet.

Take a look at this GDC expo. It's a little long, but the first few minutes hit the major key points.

The interesting thing about this is that it lowers the bar of who can play high-end videogames. An interesting example of this is the game Crisis, a game that many view to be a benchmark for gaming rigs. Designed several years ago for games of the future, there are thousand-dollar machines out there now that still must strain to the upmost to play Crisis at its highest settings. Yet OnLive service effectively cuts that $2000 pricetag down to the cost of a its own subscription fee and the cost of high-speed cable. Sitting at my entry-level laptop from two years ago, I can play Crisis at max settings over the internet, at high def, with virtually no latenence issues.

I think this is going to have a dramatic impact on the games market. Game-distribution companies like Gametap have existed for years and have not radically reshaped the way that we play games because the hottest, big-ticket items still cost large amounts of money to play through them, and only run poorly on a low-end rig. OnLive, at least on the surface, offers every game on the interet to be played instantly at max-settings, for the cost of a subscription fee. Even for $60 a month, which is what I pay for games anyway, the advantage of effectively owning every game on the OnLive server is a really, really, big deal. We may be seeing the next iteration of the new age of digital distribution, wherein games are bought and sold purely over the internet, and the death of physical CD boxes.

How exciting! Let's see what happens.
Argus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#1  Edited By Argus

I've been paying attention to the Games Developers Conference that's been going on this week in California, and some really innovative stuff is landing. By far the biggest splash I've seen was generated by OnLive, an online web service that allows one to play video games over the internet. The astounding thing about this service is that the games one plays aren't simply flash games - mainly 2d concepts that run in a tiny window of the screen - nor is one downloading a massive, high tech title that runs only poorly on an entry-level computer. At the risk of sounding like an advertisement, OnLive is an amazing work of technology because it allows the user to play any title made available to it, from the Xbox360, the PC, the Playstation 3 - at full graphics quality, by streaming it over the internet.

Take a look at this GDC expo. It's a little long, but the first few minutes hit the major key points.

The interesting thing about this is that it lowers the bar of who can play high-end videogames. An interesting example of this is the game Crisis, a game that many view to be a benchmark for gaming rigs. Designed several years ago for games of the future, there are thousand-dollar machines out there now that still must strain to the upmost to play Crisis at its highest settings. Yet OnLive service effectively cuts that $2000 pricetag down to the cost of a its own subscription fee and the cost of high-speed cable. Sitting at my entry-level laptop from two years ago, I can play Crisis at max settings over the internet, at high def, with virtually no latenence issues.

I think this is going to have a dramatic impact on the games market. Game-distribution companies like Gametap have existed for years and have not radically reshaped the way that we play games because the hottest, big-ticket items still cost large amounts of money to play through them, and only run poorly on a low-end rig. OnLive, at least on the surface, offers every game on the interet to be played instantly at max-settings, for the cost of a subscription fee. Even for $60 a month, which is what I pay for games anyway, the advantage of effectively owning every game on the OnLive server is a really, really, big deal. We may be seeing the next iteration of the new age of digital distribution, wherein games are bought and sold purely over the internet, and the death of physical CD boxes.

How exciting! Let's see what happens.
SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SpecTackle

Gimmicky. It'll never function on a large scale without tons and tons of lag.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jayge_

Wait until it's in your hands, champ.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4  Edited By Geno
CynageN said:
"Gimmicky. It'll never function on a large scale without tons and tons of lag."
In a year - but quite possibly within the next 5.
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By RedSox8933

Ooo! I finally see GTA IV in that screenshot. Interesting that they didn't announce that as one of the games that is on the console.

NinjaMunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NinjaMunkey

I understand why this may seem completely immpossible but just watch that whole video, i just did, and theyve convinced me.

You have to understand these people are not stupid, they know that for games lag must be at a minimum. And they said there that the lag they get is less than we can percieve. So thats that...

And also just look at what this is, the laptop im using right now would never play crysis, or farcry 2 on medium let alone high. But this would let me play those games on the highest settings.

And not only that, they said that right now it could easily handle graphics way in excess of crysis, because they do all the computing,they run the games, they have the giant servers. all you get back is the video streamed of the game you ar eplaying.

its HUGE, and its not really that suprising, its incredible, but its the way everything is going these days.

and what do you need to HD gaming? 5mb connection...

I dont know if i have that now but I'll bet I will be able to get those speeds within 5 years easily. here in the UK fibre optics that allow for speeds of up to 100mb's a second are being tested.
In france the average speeds are around 40 or so i believe. so theyre set

This is the way gaming is going. Its cheaper, its quicker (like buy and start up a game in 5 seconds quick) and its incredibly easy.

I love it, I cannot wait for it. I know it will be a huge success, the publishers are already backing it, the technology is there already from their viewpoint and the tecnology for us is either there or right around the corner.

This is the next level of gaming. No more gens, no more buying 3 consoles for all the games. Its everything on one box which fits in your trouser pocket.

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SpecTackle
NinjaMunkey said:
You have to understand these people are not stupid, they know that for games lag must be at a minimum. And they said there that the lag they get is less than we can percieve. So thats that...
It's only been tested in a closed off, small scale environment. Once servers are bombarded with people trying to stream high quality video feeds from them in mass numbers, it will fail. Netflix on the 360 at peak hours is a joke.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jayge_
NinjaMunkey said:
"I understand why this may seem completely immpossible but just watch that whole video, i just did, and theyve convinced me.

And also just look at what this is, the laptop im using right now would never play crysis, or farcry 2 on medium let alone high. But this would let me play those games on the highest settings.

And not only that, they said that right now it could easily handle graphics way in excess of crysis, because they do all the computing,they run the games, they have the giant servers. all you get back is the video streamed of the game you ar eplaying.its HUGE, and its not really that suprising, its incredible, but its the way everything is going these days. and what do you need to HD gaming? 5mb connection...I dont know if i have that now but I'll bet I will be able to get those speeds within 5 years easily. here in the UK fibre optics that allow for speeds of up to 100mb's a second are being tested. In france the average speeds are around 40 or so i believe. so theyre set This is the way gaming is going. Its cheaper, its quicker (like buy and start up a game in 5 seconds quick) and its incredibly easy.I love it, I cannot wait for it. I know it will be a huge success, the publishers are already backing it, the technology is there already from their viewpoint and the tecnology for us is either there or right around the corner.This is the next level of gaming. No more gens, no more buying 3 consoles for all the games. Its everything on one box which fits in your trouser pocket."
If average French speeds are 40mb/s I'll punch myself in the face.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By JoelTGM

I'm excited for it.  I hope this becomes the new way to play games.