OnLive=Evil

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By LiveOrDie1212
man, fuck OnLive and fuck the dude who invented it!!. this motherfucker basically enter into the gaming community out of nowhere, and basically tells us to change our conventional way of gaming that we have known for the last 20+ years. i have no problem with innovation in technology, i even encourage it, but this whole thing sounds fuckin redicolous. the fact that you need to have online connection just to play a single player game at all times, considering the fact that most of us do not have reliable internet connection, the idea is fucking stupid. not to even mention about the lag, and the inevitable extinction of physical media if this thing takes off. if you ask me, this motherfuckin douche is in it for the money, and i think if his plan succeeds, it will destroy the gameing industry, rather than innovate it.
LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By LiveOrDie1212
man, fuck OnLive and fuck the dude who invented it!!. this motherfucker basically enter into the gaming community out of nowhere, and basically tells us to change our conventional way of gaming that we have known for the last 20+ years. i have no problem with innovation in technology, i even encourage it, but this whole thing sounds fuckin redicolous. the fact that you need to have online connection just to play a single player game at all times, considering the fact that most of us do not have reliable internet connection, the idea is fucking stupid. not to even mention about the lag, and the inevitable extinction of physical media if this thing takes off. if you ask me, this motherfuckin douche is in it for the money, and i think if his plan succeeds, it will destroy the gameing industry, rather than innovate it.
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By maxszy

*sigh* Do we really need another topic on this?

Plus, paragraphs and periods are your friend. Also perhaps better justification for your stance than "this motherfuckin douche".

deathfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deathfury

Its like when trains were invented, everyone thought they were crazy going at like, 7 miles per hour, but now we drive cars going 70 miles per hour, we get used to it. If it gets off the ground and they get all the kinks out of it, I think it could all work out, but I doubt it would ever remove the physical copy market, so people without internet connections would be fine.

Or it will just fail and never become reality.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#4  Edited By LordAndrew

Oh come on. Even if it succeeds I do not believe it poses any threat to the gaming industry, whether you're into console gaming or PC gaming.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LiveOrDie1212
Maxszy said:
"*sigh* Do we really need another topic on this?Plus, paragraphs and periods are your friend. Also perhaps better justification for your stance than "this motherfuckin douche". "

dude, if you don't have any constructive comments on the topic at hand, i suggest you not comment at all. thank you.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

they're not trying to change the whole face of gaming, they're providing one alternative. Until the whole world has decent broadband connections nothing like this is going to become the norm, it's just going to be one alternative way to access some content.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Don't like it.
I do like the idea of playing high end games through a stream, but why can't they have a regular console as well?

I don't want to be connected to play all the time.   That and I doubt the video streaming will work correctly.

It's not like it's going to come out though, so don't worry, it's not going to happen

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EntwineX

I think it's an awesome concept, but I doubt it will change gaming industry quite yet, internet connections just aren't up to it yet and it would take quite a lot of server power to run lets say 100 million instances of Crysis at the same time, so I wouldn't worry yet. IF it ever strikes through properly so that it leaves conventional gaming bite the dust, then it's likely that you already have an uber fast internet yourself and other forms of entertainment have moved online as well.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#9  Edited By EpicSteve

It's a matter of how well its supported post-launch. If it's well supported b developers and gamers like us, then yes, it has the potential to destroy several industries. Digital distribution will take off eventually. Services like Steam, PSN, Xbox LIVE, and so on, are very powerful tools for the comsumer. You don't have to get in to OnLive when it releases,but their isn't anthing wrong with anothe way for people to experience gaming.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By crunchUK
LiveOrDie1212 said:
", this motherfuckin douche is in it for the money
NO FUCKING SHIT SHERLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!
shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By shadows_kill
LiveOrDie1212 said:
"this motherfucker basically enter into the gaming community out of nowhere "
in a article i saw about it one of them was working at eidos.. but i forget what he did, and the other did the email on tv thing a while ago when AOL started. so one of them was in the gaming community.
NinjaMunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NinjaMunkey

about having to have a connection.

really? how often does your connection go? Ive not had it go for years...

and just money making? Duh? what are sony and MS then? saints?

This is the future, and buying that small box will be a dam lot cheaper than buying a huge box full of complicated hardware...

Its brilliance...

I'll be playing game way better looking than crysis on my laptop XD

exfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By exfate

It is evil, yes. If this were the norm it would give gamers even less ownership over content than downloadable games, slow the progress of graphics technology, and push independent developers out. Let's not forget, OnLive is not just a set top box designed to replace consoles, but also a browser bases application designed to replace gaming PCs.

It's also dumb though. The infrastructure in most countries does not support a service like this. Streaming 40+ hours of 720p content per weak as well as a gamers other usual internet activities is way above the caps of many ISPs. Those ISPs that do not have caps would not be happy about the increase in new "power users". Aside from that, many people do not have access to a fast enough connection. Stability and consistency is another issue. This is not like streaming a video that can download enough content at the start to have a buffer and then potentially download faster than the video is played back, this is real-time and so any line issues or contention (either locally or on the ISPs network) has the potential to cause problems.

The entire concept, while technically impressive, is naive. I don't see it as a threat yet, but it is a threat to be weary of in the future.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By maxszy
LiveOrDie1212 said:
"Maxszy said:
"*sigh* Do we really need another topic on this?Plus, paragraphs and periods are your friend. Also perhaps better justification for your stance than "this motherfuckin douche". "
dude, if you don't have any constructive comments on the topic at hand, i suggest you not comment at all. thank you. "
I feel my comment was constructive. It was just a thought with suggestions to improve your argument on why "OnLive=Evil."
LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LiveOrDie1212
exfate said:
"It is evil, yes. If this were the norm it would give gamers even less ownership over content than downloadable games, slow the progress of graphics technology, and push independent developers out. Let's not forget, OnLive is not just a set top box designed to replace consoles, but also a browser bases application designed to replace gaming PCs.It's also dumb though. The infrastructure in most countries does not support a service like this. Streaming 40+ hours of 720p content per weak as well as a gamers other usual internet activities is way above the caps of many ISPs. Those ISPs that do not have caps would not be happy about the increase in new "power users". Aside from that, many people do not have access to a fast enough connection. Stability and consistency is another issue. This is not like streaming a video that can download enough content at the start to have a buffer and then potentially download faster than the video is played back, this is real-time and so any line issues or contention (either locally or on the ISPs network) has the potential to cause problems.The entire concept, while technically impressive, is naive. I don't see it as a threat yet, but it is a threat to be weary of in the future."
wow, you just listed every possible problems that can occure with this technology. i could have not said it any better. kudos.
prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By prinny_god

don't worry the thing won't really work for good many years

tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By tokyochicken

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheMustacheHero

It will fail, and you will be happy, I am from the future. Quitcher bitchen.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LiveOrDie1212
tokyochicken said:
"
No Caption Provided
"
some people just can't resist their inner douchebag
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By OmegaPirate

No Caption Provided

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By BiggerBomb
LiveOrDie1212 said:
"tokyochicken said:
"
No Caption Provided
"
some people just can't resist their inner douchebag"

No, not really. You're making a big deal over a cloud of speculation. Besides, I doubt this will be a successful venture.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pause422

It most likely won't succeed in general anyway..and no one is saying this is going to just come in and change everything if it even does. It will be an option that people have if they feel like using it. Get the fuck over it and stop acting like a child.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By AndrewGaspar

In twenty or thirty years, cloud-based gaming will have taken over, and I believe it will be better. However, we have a while to wait before connection speeds are up to par and broadband availability becomes more expanded.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LiveOrDie1212
pause422 said:
"It most likely won't succeed in general anyway..and no one is saying this is going to just come in and change everything if it even does. It will be an option that people have if they feel like using it. Get the fuck over it and stop acting like a child."

well, i suggest you listen to the 3/24/09 podcast, where Jeff and the guys talk about it. i suggest you listened to specifically what Jeff had to say. and i don't think im acting like a child for speaking my mind.
Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hairydutchman

"this motherfuckin douche is in it for the money"

Ah, the evil bastard!

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By AndrewGaspar
Hairydutchman said:
""this motherfuckin douche is in it for the money"Ah, the evil bastard!"
Exactly. He acts like it's a bad thing. LiveOrDie, you're an idiot.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#27  Edited By EpicSteve

Wait, people make games for money? I thought they did i for fun. FUCK!

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zityz

Up next! Infinitum Labs Phantom Portable!

The only thing I can see this being decent for is PC's I mean not everyone can afford a High end PC some can only afford one console if theyre lucky. If this thing was set at a decent amount of money at least for the PC market then it should be fine. It will let people who can't afford to upgrade their computer every so often to just be able to play some games on their machine with the rest fo the people who can, PROVIDED of couse that these OnLive games are compatable with retail copies of online games, and not make it's own platform market.

Then again, I don't thing it's trying to compete with Microsoft Sony or Nintendo, I think it's something that can carve it's own Niche market out of. People who are curious to try it, a core demographic of people who are into techy stuff, and like I said a different alternative to people who can't afford/ don't want to buy a console just so they can play one or two games.

I wouldn't disconcern it quite yet until it's full intent on what it's trying to accomplish. I also don't know if this is something that will put into place anytime soon, but will see.

Also the point on it will alienate indie publishers? how so? There's always ways indie can find ways for them to make a OnLive Version. If they can somehow get thier games onto PSN, XBLA, WiiWare and Steam, I'm positive they will have something put inplace to accompany Indie developers.

That's my take on it.

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lamegame621
LiveOrDie1212 said:
"Maxszy said:
dude, if you don't have any constructive comments on the topic at hand, i suggest you not comment at all. thank you. "
Hmm, methinks you are new to GB? Also: grammar.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#30  Edited By AgentJ

Hey, if this works out and I can really play Crysis the way its supposed to be played on any TV or laptop with no lag or problems, then rock on Live! (see what i did there?)

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#31  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

You know what? I'm going to say it!

Only time will tell.....

bulletclip6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bulletclip6

So how do they handle making games just for that platform. Basically it has to be multiplatform games right? I mean to get an exclusive title onto their system, how will they develope it. If they got this new GPU server like thing wherever it is. they would have to get each developer that hardware. And if it is supposed to be even more sophisticated then todays hardware, then the developers are going to have to learn a completely new system.

Thats why i say it would have to be multiplatform titles. And probably mostly PC games. Even though lets say Mirrors Edge was made for all consoles, The PC version will probably be what they use. I dont see Sony or Microsoft lend any of there titles to this service. Of course everything has a price but it doesnt seem likely since this service could be dangerous to both Sony and Microsoft.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By Dalai

If OnLive works as advertised, I welcome it with open arms.  If not, I'll stick to the old-fashioned way for the time being.  Either way, the gaming industry will thrive.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#34  Edited By AgentJ
bulletclip6 said:
"

So how do they handle making games just for that platform. Basically it has to be multiplatform games right? I mean to get an exclusive title onto their system, how will they develope it. If they got this new GPU server like thing wherever it is. they would have to get each developer that hardware. And if it is supposed to be even more sophisticated then todays hardware, then the developers are going to have to learn a completely new system.

Thats why i say it would have to be multiplatform titles. And probably mostly PC games. Even though lets say Mirrors Edge was made for all consoles, The PC version will probably be what they use. I dont see Sony or Microsoft lend any of there titles to this service. Of course everything has a price but it doesnt seem likely since this service could be dangerous to both Sony and Microsoft.

"
They could simply sell the tech to the big 3.
Inertia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Inertia
EpicSteve said:
"Wait, people make games for money? I thought they did i for fun. FUCK! "
IT USED TO BE ABOUT THE GAMES MAAAAN ... 
Inertia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Inertia
AgentJ said:
They could simply sell the tech to the big 3."
The tech itself is nothing new ... it's just a new concept. So i'm pretty sure the big 3 already have similar systems in testing phase ... and once they get them out there OnLive can say good night.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By mike