Open world Survival/Creative games

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

For years, I've ignored Minecraft and it's kind of games simply because I was no interested in it. More to the point, I didn't see the appeal for an open world game that has no story and basically never ends. Now that my 8 year old daughter started playing it on her iPod, I can see the appeal. Since she does have an interest in computer games (thank god) I would like to introduce her to something like it on my PC.

So, could you guys recommend to me a game like Minecraft's creative mode? She likes playing the game but not the survival aspect. And as a typical 8yr old girl, any game where she can take care of animals would be a plus.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

Unfortunately, I can't think of any Minecraftian games where taking care of animals is a big part. Most seem to focus on making stuff and defending yourself and food isn't anything more than an item you need to keep an eye on, not something you can grow.

But I'm not an expert on the genre, I just really like Minecraft.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently there are sheep in Minecraft, I never knew that. But she built pens for the sheep she found. So the animal care aspect could simply be a way to interact with them. It doesn't have to be a free range vet simulator.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Corevi

Harvest Moon. Straight up.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By matatat

I think the reason Minecraft is so popular amongst that genre is that it's pretty kid friendly. A lot of those type of games I see coming out more recently are geared around horror survival. Harvest Moon seems like a really good option, but I think they're mostly on consoles, specifically Nintendo consoles.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

How about Viva Piňata? It doesn't have so much creating in it, but you are still building stuff and making it your own. Plus loads of "animals".

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By guanophobic
@quipido said:

How about Viva Piňata? It doesn't have so much creating in it, but you are still building stuff and making it your own. Plus loads of "animals".

What about The Sims? It's can be horrifying, especially when you make stuff.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Renahzor

Agree with some of the above suggestions. My 10 year old daughter loves Minecraft on PC, Sims, Viva Pinata, Kerbal Space Program. I think viva pinata is probably the most animal focused of that bunch, and pretty free-form overall. The only other similar game I can think of where animal handling has more of a focus is Wurm online, and that game is just too dense and too slow moving for most kids that age.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew Giantbomb was the place to go with this question.

Thanks. And I do have Kerbal both my kids love that game.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

What about The Sims? It's can be horrifying, especially when you make stuff.

I'd have to recommend against the Sims. Or at least the Sims 3 Pets expansion. My GF and I play together, have a Sims family, and were super excited to be able to play with some virtual cats (as we can't have any in our current apartment). The plan was quickly dismissed, though, after we all too eagerly welcomed some of these walking nightmares into our home.

Loading Video...

And just to add, this is a permanent bug with some (popular) video cards, and Maxis and EA have said they have no plans to release a patch that fixes it. Jerks.

I'd advise against the Sims in general too for a pretty little kid like 8 years old. I really like those games, and they're pretty much the best dollhouse ever for like, a 12 year old girl, but they have vastly less creative potential in the way that something like Minecraft has.

@tekzero: There are actually way more animals than just sheep in Minecraft. And some of them are breedable and tameable. Your kid can make her very own zoo!

Loading Video...

(you can also harvest them for materials like everything else, but hey, no better way to learn about life than death than through cutsie pixely creatures) ;)

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got her playing SimCity 4. Once I found a McDonald's Mod she was in love.

I have never seen a city with 10 Mcdonalds in a row before.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Have you tried Terraria? It's got a pet system in it as well as critters like bunny rabbits and gold fish. I don't think there's a non-survival mode but there's nothing like hunger in the game. It's a pretty big game with a lot to do, a nice colourful art style.