Posted by mracoon (4966 posts) -

I like video games. I like buying them, playing them, discussing them but I always have a problem finishing them. As a child of the internet age I've come to the realisation that I have a short attention span and that means if a game doesn't fully grab my interest, I tend to drift away from it. And it's not as though the games were bad or that I didn't enjoy them it's just that, for some reason, I couldn't keep myself playing. Well, I also like getting value for my money and it's really a waste of my hard-earned cash (actually the tax payer's money as it comes from my student loan) if I don't complete my backlog. Now that I have a long summer holiday to look forward to I thought what better time to finally beat those pesky, unfinished games. 

So, that's the plan. I'll start with the game I last purchased and work my backwards (this only for Xbox 360 and XBLA as Steam is a whole other beast that I'll have to tackle when I'm retired). I'm going define finishing as completing the main campaign, quest, storyline etc. because doing anything more might kill me. For any of the games which are co-op if anyone wants to play then I'll be happy to have some moral support.

Anybody else planing to get through complete their backlog over the summer? If so then post your lists here and we can make game out of finishing out games. Hopefully we don't get tired of that game, though.

Xbox 360 & XBLA Backlog

Xbox 360 games listed first then XBLA games.

1. Gears of War 3

Where I was up to: Some bit which was like a desert and you had to be stealthy otherwise the enemy would be alerted and use the One-Shot on you,

2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Where I was up to: No idea but I'll go straight to finishing the main quest.

3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Where I was up to: Some boss fight with the stealth-lady. Seriously, the boss fights in this game are the worst and suck all the enjoyment out of it.

4. DiRT 3

Where I was up to: I'd finished the first two tournament things, if I remember correctly. I'll have to find my copy of the game first because I have no idea where it is.

5. L.A. Noire

Where I was up to: I think I was in the homicide department but I'm not sure.

6. Fallout 3

Where I was up to: Rivet City or whatever the city that's in the giant metal container is called.

7. Batman: Arkham Asylum

Where I was up to: No idea. I got bored with this game really fast and I don't even know why.

8. Burnout Paradise

Where I was up to: Not really sure you can finish this.

9. Iron Brigade

Where I was up to: I bought it for TNT or something and only played two or three missions.

10. Outland

Where I was up to: The boss where you're on a load of floating platforms and she's constantly destroying them.

11. Ms. Splosion Man

Where I was up to: Maybe the second world. I got tired of this game much quicker than I thought. Perhaps the original Splosion Man was enough splosion for me.

12. Limbo

Where I was up to: Some puzzle where I kept on dying so no, I don't know where I was up to.

13. Stacking

Where I was up to: The ship, methinks.

14. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

Where I was up to: I think I'd just started it up and moved on to something else.

#1 Posted by mracoon (4966 posts) -

I like video games. I like buying them, playing them, discussing them but I always have a problem finishing them. As a child of the internet age I've come to the realisation that I have a short attention span and that means if a game doesn't fully grab my interest, I tend to drift away from it. And it's not as though the games were bad or that I didn't enjoy them it's just that, for some reason, I couldn't keep myself playing. Well, I also like getting value for my money and it's really a waste of my hard-earned cash (actually the tax payer's money as it comes from my student loan) if I don't complete my backlog. Now that I have a long summer holiday to look forward to I thought what better time to finally beat those pesky, unfinished games. 

So, that's the plan. I'll start with the game I last purchased and work my backwards (this only for Xbox 360 and XBLA as Steam is a whole other beast that I'll have to tackle when I'm retired). I'm going define finishing as completing the main campaign, quest, storyline etc. because doing anything more might kill me. For any of the games which are co-op if anyone wants to play then I'll be happy to have some moral support.

Anybody else planing to get through complete their backlog over the summer? If so then post your lists here and we can make game out of finishing out games. Hopefully we don't get tired of that game, though.

Xbox 360 & XBLA Backlog

Xbox 360 games listed first then XBLA games.

1. Gears of War 3

Where I was up to: Some bit which was like a desert and you had to be stealthy otherwise the enemy would be alerted and use the One-Shot on you,

3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Where I was up to: Some boss fight with the stealth-lady. Seriously, the boss fights in this game are the worst and suck all the enjoyment out of it.

4. DiRT 3

Where I was up to: I'd finished the first two tournament things, if I remember correctly. I'll have to find my copy of the game first because I have no idea where it is.

5. L.A. Noire

6. Fallout 3

Where I was up to: Rivet City or whatever the city that's in the giant metal container is called.

Where I was up to: No idea. I got bored with this game really fast and I don't even know why.

8. Burnout Paradise

Where I was up to: Not really sure you can finish this.

9. Iron Brigade

Where I was up to: I bought it for TNT or something and only played two or three missions.

10. Outland

Where I was up to: The boss where you're on a load of floating platforms and she's constantly destroying them.

11. Ms. Splosion Man

Where I was up to: Maybe the second world. I got tired of this game much quicker than I thought. Perhaps the original Splosion Man was enough splosion for me.

12. Limbo

Where I was up to: Some puzzle where I kept on dying so no, I don't know where I was up to.

13. Stacking

Where I was up to: The ship, methinks.

14. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

Where I was up to: I think I'd just started it up and moved on to something else.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@mracoon said:

5. L.A. Noire

6. Fallout 3

12. Limbo

What I'd recommend you start with.

#3 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1817 posts) -

in the section in the desert for gears of war when they sound the alarm it just sends more enemies the guy with the oneshot is there no matter what

#4 Posted by Nadafinga (957 posts) -

You should be able to finish limbo and stacking in just a couple hours combined.

#5 Edited by Bollard (5396 posts) -

I've done the exact same thing! This summer sees the end of my A Levels, and the first time I've truly had nothing to do for nearly 3 months. HEAVEN.

Here's my list at the moment, but it might get tweaked:

2012 Summer Backlog

1. Metro 2033

Bought this specifically to COMPLETE in the summer. It's scared the shit out of me so far though.

2. Just Cause 2

Ought to do something bout this.

3. Saints Row: The Third

Been holding out for Coop but it looks like that's not happening.

4. Dark Souls

Arrghhhhh. I need a new Sword.

5. Bastion

Bought this because apparently it's amazing, but I can't get into it.

6. Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Fuck this game.

7. Mass Effect 2

I might try and complete this? I don't know, I'm not invested in the franchise. I do have a free copy of 3 though unopened...

8. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I love this game. I love it enough that I'm willing to put it in this list just because I want to make a 2nd character. I haven't done the Companions or Mages which I'm saving for this new Conjuration build.

#6 Posted by ZombiePie (5629 posts) -

I need to actually play my copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution because I was given the Collector's Edition as a gift...during Christmas. 

Moderator Online
#7 Posted by hussatron (189 posts) -

I've owned Skyrim since its release but only now am I getting a significant amount into the game. I pre-ordered Deus-Ex: HR, but never finished it. I haven't finished Dragon Age: Origins or The Witcher yet. It seems like whenever I play a game, I reach a point where I feel like I'm not quite doing it right and I should start over, so I do start over, and rinse and repeat until I get bored with the game and move on. With Skyrim right now, I've been sticking to my character and living with whatever horrible choices I make in the game, and I've been really enjoying it so far.

#8 Posted by Chop (1996 posts) -

I wish I had the drive to do something like this.

As soon as I leave a game for more than a week, I lose total interest in it and never go back.

#9 Posted by Nightriff (4972 posts) -

I made a list of all the games I own but still need to beat here. I'm working through Prototype right now, its fun but the story is complete shit

#10 Posted by mracoon (4966 posts) -
@Nightriff: If I went back to previous generations of consoles then my list would be never-ending.
#11 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

I would recommend not trying to beat Burnout Paradise, I mean it can be done but would take an insane amount of time, also thats not really what makes that game fun. I mean how much longer could you listen to that Avril Lavigne song?

#12 Posted by kerse (2110 posts) -

Good luck I usually exile the games I can't get into to a pile I'm eventually gonna sell, I kinda don't like games sitting on my shelf I don't like enough to finish.

#13 Posted by konig_kei (602 posts) -

Know how you feel bro, I'm pretty sure I enjoy buying games more than playing them now.

#14 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

My only goal is to find out whats after the UFO in Phoenix for the 2600.

#15 Posted by C2C (855 posts) -

Skyrim and Fallout 3 on the same back log? Wow, you have your work cut out for you :P

#16 Posted by ShaggE (6402 posts) -

Right there with you. Dark Souls, Red Dead Redemption, Skyrim... even finishing my season in NBA2K11 would be nice. I'm way too addicted to that "got a new game" excitement. I also want to play ODST again, which I might do while I wait for Reach to arrive.

#17 Edited by tourgen (4461 posts) -

That's quite a lot of games! Wow. I spent 250 hours in Skyrim and Fallout 3 combined. Those 2 alone would get me through the Summer and part of the Fall. I only have time for about 10-15 hrs a week though.

#18 Posted by Grimmy616 (398 posts) -

It just gets bigger and bigger.

Games I need to finish - July 2012

1. Gears of War 3

Played until Act 2 or so. Beast and Horde Mode were fun but the competitive multiplayer in Gears was never really for me. May even look for people to finish it in co-op?

2. Driver: San Francisco

Was playing this after hearing about the crazy storyline and it is pretty crazy. Got about three quarters through. Multiplayer was dead in that game.

3. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

SHPACE MARRENS?! Been so long I don't even know if I remeber what the story was in this game. Something about a cannon. MAybe that's all I reall need to know?

4. Fallout: New Vegas

This is just for getting all the DLC and then finishing them in rapid succesion

5. Shadows of the Damned

After playing Lollipop Chainsaw this game came back to me. Will probably play it after I finish Lollipop Chainsaw. Or maybe that's just too much Suda 51 for me.

6. Iron Brigade

Had this weird bug where I was in a online game and I became someone who just entered the game and left? And inherited all his game progress and medals, even though I only finished the first set of levels. Haven't gone back since.

7. Ms. Splosion Man

Even though I love the first one I never finished this game. I remember it being hard and had really shit checkpoints.

8. Super Meat Boy

While we're on the subject I never beat this friggin game. Got pretty tough for me towards the end there and I never got to finishing it. Got the PC version too but I didnt have a gamepad "thingie".

9. Syndicate

Played more of the co-op than the main game. But I guess people started playing the same level over and over because that'S how you got the most chips. I last remember ziplining over and busting through a building.

10. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Got the 360 version. Didn't have time for a RPG but perhaps during this summer break I can reall get into this.

11. Darksiders

Played till the 2nd boss. The second one is coming out soo so might as well finish this before it comes out.

12. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

On the HD collection. Played it until the part where PAtrick and Jeff got stuck for a while in the Quick Look.

13. The Saboteur

Replayed this game a few months ago after putting it off for some time. I probably stopped playing around the time I stopped the first time.

14. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Might as well.