Opinion on Interplay pack?

confirm4crit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By confirm4crit

GoG has a Pay what you wish InterPlay pack that's ending in about 12 hoursish http://www.gog.com/interplay

If I shell out 35 clams, I get a butt ton of games. Like 32 of them.

I was born in '92, and I didn't get heavy into PC gaming until early 2000's, so I try to buy a classic every month or so just to see the history and experience stuff. I'm about to go though the first Deus Ex, JA, and Fallout 1 in the next couple months in between wrapping up Dishonored and Halo 4.

This pack seems....kinda insane. There seems to be some staples, and some games that I'd probably never touch for more than five minutes. But at around a buck a game, who gives a crap? I think?

So thoughts, options? There's some different tiers of the pack, any suggestions as to which one? I'm hearing solid things about Freespace, Decent, Messiah, and Sacrifice, but do any of these gems hold up?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

On a completely numerical level, that's an awesome dollar-to-game ratio.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#3  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I paid a dollar for the bottom tier with the intent to write about the games included in a humorous fashion, mostly because it seems pretty rancid (the high point apparently being Jagged Alliance 2 Unfinished Business). The stuff you want (Fallout, Freespace 2) is at the top, and I can almost guarantee you that they'll be present during GOG's holiday sale for $3 a pop, which is probably a better deal than paying $35 for games that are mostly crap.

On the other hand... that is a lot of games. No. No. Do the first thing I said.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Slay3r1583

If you can afford it pay the $35 to get the whole thing. There are some real gems scattered about there. Like Jagged Alliance 2, the Fallout series, the Freespace series, and the Descent series. There are also some good but not quite what I would call gems like Giants, Shogo, and Kingpin.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#6  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'd just wait for the good games to go on sale individually. You'll save a ton of money that way.

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@ArbitraryWater said:

I paid a dollar for the bottom tier with the intent to write about the games included in a humorous fashion, mostly because it seems pretty rancid (the high point apparently being Jagged Alliance 2 Unfinished Business).

I also paid a buck- settling for the bottom tier since that's all I had available at the time. Its actually not THAT dismal. :P

I too was expecting Unfinished Business to be the highlight, but... Shattered Steel and M.A.X. 1 stole its spotlight- and are now doing their best to steal that spotlight from each other for my attention. o_O

Shattered Steel was an especially pleasant surprise- that little devil is more fun than it has any right to be. >_>

@ArbitraryWater said:

The stuff you want (Fallout, Freespace 2) is at the top, and I can almost guarantee you that they'll be present during GOG's holiday sale for $3 a pop, which is probably a better deal than paying $35 for games that are mostly crap.

Other than those two special mentions in the bottom tier though- this quote will probably apply to the widest group. :P

@Slay3r1583 said:

There are also some good but not quite what I would call gems like Giants, Shogo, and Kingpin.

And Sacrifice. Don't forget Sacrifice. :(

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#8  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@WarlockEngineerMoreDakka: Admittedly, I've only gotten around to Kingdom: The Far Reaches, and that's only because it's considered one of the worst games on GOG, up there with junk like Master of Orion 3. So of course it makes for good writing. I'm sure Shattered Steel and its ilk are alright, but I never got the impression that they were standout titles.