• 156 results
#1 Posted by thornie_delete (436 posts) -

Surprised no one has created a thread about todays announcement from Vox Media Inc. yet... For those who don't know, Vox has recruited a virtual who's who of huge names in the industry to start a new gaming site. All of these guys resigned form their former positions to start this site so I would imagine they all have a ton invested in it. IMO the expectations for this site are going to be sky high. Especially with the success of Giant Bomb which formed under similar circumstances it will be really interesting to see what they come up with. Thoughts?

Here's who Vox games has recruited:

Brian Crecente, Justin McElroy, Griffin McElroy, Art Gies, Chris Grant, Russ Pitts (Former EIC of The Escapist), Chris Plante, Russ Frushtick (Former EIC of MTV Games).

That's a ton if big names.

#2 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2695 posts) -

Yeah it's been all over Twitter for a little while now. Sounds fantastic.

Anything with McElroy involved deserves at least a chance.

#3 Posted by mosespippy (4206 posts) -

I don't read any of the sites that they came from. I used to read MTV when Patrick worked there and I watch a select few of the Escapist videos. The Joysiq/Kotaku style of reporting is rushed and trash. If they are planning on running their site like that then I won't read it. I don't need breaking news from the gaming industry. I want to read editorials and features. If they have quality content I might read it.

#4 Edited by Rolyatkcinmai (2695 posts) -

I mean if that doesn't win you over, what will? Go McElroy lol.

#5 Posted by Jhriad (115 posts) -

Arthur Gies? Meeeeeeh.

#6 Posted by xbob42 (517 posts) -

I have literally heard of none of these people.

#7 Posted by Ehker (235 posts) -

@mosespippy: Good point. We'll have to see if they have any original ideas, but so far what can we expect besides another Joystiq/Kotaku that spits out news they find at NeoGaf? Giant Bomb brings personality to game coverage, while the others are mostly RSS feeds.

#8 Posted by Seedofpower (3932 posts) -

I'll stick with my Giant Bomb.

#9 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

They'll still never be able to compete with rivalvideogamewebsite.

#10 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2390 posts) -

I do like Joystiq's staff. Could be good, but supergroups like that so rarely work out in any business.

If Joystiq suddenly turns to shit because the McElroys and Chris Grant left, maybe this could take its place.

#11 Posted by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

I'm not saying it won't be a good site but I'm not particularly interested in any of these personalities. It's not going to be a Giantbomb #2.

#12 Posted by Rawrnosaurous (768 posts) -

Why would I want to go to a new site? Regardless of the quality of writers now running the site, isn't the community that springs around it the most important part? They all left from blogs with large communities, do they expect their communities to follow them over? That and I don't think I want to read anything that involves the staff from Kotaku.

#13 Posted by thornie_delete (436 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

I mean if that doesn't win you over, what will? Go McElroy lol.

HAHA, yeah I love me some McElroy. His irreverent sense of humor is one one of the big reasons I'm excited about the new site. I think it's a real good balance of personalities they have there. The only thing that may be a problem is that there are a lot of "chef's in the kitchen" there. In other words, guys like Frushtick, Crecente, and Pitts ran the show at their former jobs. It will be interesting to see how so many strong personalities will coexist.

#14 Posted by Jimbo (9819 posts) -

So that's why Brian Crecente left RHCP!

#15 Posted by Rawrnosaurous (768 posts) -

voxgames.com is currently a flash game site, are they going to change their name or...

#16 Posted by Hunkulese (2745 posts) -

I've never heard of any of the people you listed

#17 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2695 posts) -

@Rawrnosaurous said:

voxgames.com is currently a flash game site, are they going to change their name or...

VOX Games is not the name of the site, it's the media company behind it. Justin said they haven't decided on a name yet.

#18 Posted by thornie_delete (436 posts) -

@Hunkulese: Have you heard of Kotaku, The Escapist, Joystiq, MTV games? Well, those guys ran those sites. Also, Vox is the umbrella company much like WHiskey Media is the Umbrella Company here. Vox has investors and a CEO much like Whiskey and will fund and support this new site in the same way Shelby and his investors fund and support Giant Bomb. It's a very similar setup.

#19 Posted by Hooded (435 posts) -

Its been interesting for sure, I hope its going to be good and work out well for all of them aswell as the readers. There are some talented people there but I can see some people not fitting in with others there. I look forward to the day its announced, i'll never leave GB but its always good to have more sites to visit.

#20 Posted by tsiro (214 posts) -

I don't imagine that it'll pull me away from Giant Bomb, but I do love me some McElroy. I'll at least give it a chance! I hope (and would not be surprised if) it does well!

#21 Posted by StarvingGamer (8284 posts) -

Only guy I know on that list is aegies which makes me actively disinterested in the site.

#22 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -

Oh wow! They're some big names. I hope that, at the least, they do a podcast.

#23 Posted by Hooded (435 posts) -

@bibamatt said:

Oh wow! They're some big names. I hope that, at the least, they do a podcast.

I'm sure they will, the other sites VOX run do podcasts, and alot of the people in that list are mostly known through podcasts.

#24 Edited by MattyFTM (14393 posts) -

It certainly seems interesting. There are some big people there who have quit good jobs to do this, so I have high hopes that they'll make it work. The internet needs more quality gaming websites. Too many of them read like they're written by 12 year olds spend most of their time posting about things completely unrelated to video games *Cough*Kotaku*Cough*.

#25 Posted by mosespippy (4206 posts) -

@xbob42: @Hunkulese: You've likely heard Justin McElroy on the E3 Bombcast discussing Sherlock Holmes

#26 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2695 posts) -

If you haven't heard of Brian Crecente, Justin McElroy, etc you probably don't pay any attention to gaming media and/or Giant Bomb (on which a bunch of these people have appeared at some point or another).

#27 Posted by Hailinel (24970 posts) -

Crecente's involvement gives me horrific visions of Kotaku 2.0. I'd love to be wrong, though.

#28 Posted by ElCapitan (402 posts) -

This sounds awesome. I love the McElroy brothers! I'll have to keep my eyes posted for the launch of this site.

#29 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2695 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Crecente's involvement gives me horrific visions of Kotaku 2.0. I'd love to be wrong, though.

With everyone else staying at Kotaku, hopefully most of the Japanese sex articles stay there too.

#30 Posted by Daneian (1242 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

Only guy I know on that list is aegies which makes me actively disinterested in the site.

YEP!!

#31 Posted by Superfriend (1557 posts) -

Oh, some dude from The Escapist is on board. Maybe we´ll get pretentious wannabe-intellectual gaming site 2.0 now. That would be great. And by great, I mean absolutely unnecessary.

I don´t know half of these guys, but a new GiantBomb style site would be welcome. Competition is good for everybody involved.

#32 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

I'm excited, though I hope Russ Pitts isn't involved as an editor. His articles are fine, but the amount of complete garbage that finds its way onto The Escapist is really, really disappointing. Also, Game Dogs was one of the worst pieces of garbage to ever make it to The Escapist, and that was written and directed by Russ Pitts, so hopefully he's not creating video content either. His articles were pretty all right, though!

Otherwise, everyone else I know by name is pretty awesome, so I'm excited.

#33 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

I hope they don't go with The Verge's site design. Yech.

Ah what am I saying. Even if they do I'm not going to frequent it anyway. Giantbomb, and occasionally gamespot, gives me all the gaming coverage i need.

#34 Posted by ma_rc_01 (364 posts) -

I can't wait for Twomp.com

#35 Posted by Asinies (35 posts) -

Giant Bomb is where it's at, but I'm willing to see where these guys go. I wish them the best of luck. I think they really need to do what GB did and separate themselves from the business of the gaming industry, as well as making their site unique and offering something new to users and followers.

#36 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5145 posts) -

@ma_rc_01 said:

I can't wait for Twomp.com

No.

#37 Posted by 71Ranchero (2776 posts) -

Great, another click farm video game blog. I cant wait. Im so excited.

#38 Posted by FLStyle (4723 posts) -

I'll check it out, but it's no Giant Bomb.

#39 Posted by m16mojo2 (309 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

If you haven't heard of Brian Crecente, Justin McElroy, etc you probably don't pay any attention to gaming media and/or Giant Bomb (on which a bunch of these people have appeared at some point or another).

This statement is retarded...

#40 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -
Brian Crecente

So it's going to be shit?

#41 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

Ok, I'm in.  Where do I prick myself to sign in blood?

#42 Posted by Sharpless (470 posts) -

You know, this is neither here nor there, but it's weird seeing people speaking so positively about Joystiq these days. Back when I first got into gaming blogs on the Internet, you whippersnappers-- AHEM. Sorry. Years ago, Joystiq was considered by many to be the vanilla alternative for people who didn't much care about their gaming sites saying anything interesting. (Basically, something similar to what Kotaku is today.) And, frankly, it was. But now? I wasn't really paying attention, so I don't know when a change started taking place, but I'm glad to see it did. Even its former detractors speak fondly of the site and most of its writers. It's just strange (but also good) to see. Anyway, I digress from the topic.

I don't have many feelings about any of the people listed (nothing personal; I just don't have any interest in frequenting gaming sites anymore, aside from Giant Bomb) but it does seem reasonable to assume that, at the very least, the site will have some decent writing. I'm not sure I like the idea of a game-blog super-group, though. Seems very... publicity stunt-like. I mean, hopefully there's more to it than that, but the site's going to have to prove its worth. As funny as Justin's comeback was, David Ellis still has a point. We really don't need "just another gaming blog." There's already enough static out there.

#43 Posted by Bulby33 (595 posts) -

Oh great, another gaming website. This is exactly what the internet needs.

#44 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Is Giant Bomb a mega gaming site?

#45 Posted by JackSukeru (5916 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@Rawrnosaurous said:

VOX Games is not the name of the site, it's the media company behind it. Justin said they haven't decided on a name yet.

Rivalvideogamewebsite.com?

#46 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@Sharpless: You're right.  We don't need another blog.  However I think it's possible we need more 'honest' writing ala what I feel we're getting at GiantBomb so the people in the development and publishing industry start to recognize the honest 'blogs' as the places people go to get their game info.  Maybe then you won't have so much of the 'we didn't get the game before launch' or 'we were left out of reviewing this game because we're lessser' issue.  That's my take.  So if they are looking to do something holistic and honest, good for them and good for us.  

Also, yeah Joystiq was a joke, and then it became less of a joke.  I think as other sites became more of a joke they stayed the same, maybe got a bit more honest, and then became less of a joke than they used to be.
#47 Posted by Jolt92 (1553 posts) -

What a clusterfuck of people. McElroy is OK but I don't like the Kotaku-people at all.

#48 Posted by Milkman (16846 posts) -

I'll stick with Giant Bomb but I wish them the best.

#49 Posted by Christoffer (1827 posts) -

@Jhriad said:

Arthur Gies? Meeeeeeh.

Dito.

The rest I've never heard of.

#50 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3881 posts) -

This is pretty rad, I'm on board. Giant Bomb will always be my first greatest love, but I have room in my heart for others. Especially when McElroys are involved.