Opinions On Remastered Games

• 60 results
BrennRambles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Recently a lot of gaming companies seem to be doing remastered versions of previous gen(PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360) titles. This got me thinking, even though the game was fun, why would I bother to spend another $59.99 on the same game I own for only better graphics, not to mention the price hike for most new gen games (Wii U, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4) being $69.99, so what's the point if you already own the game?

I am curious to what you all think of games being remastered, would you spend money on a game you already own just to play on your new gen console and what game would that be?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

I wouldn't buy a remaster of a single game for $60. I bought the Peace Walker HD version at $20 because the controls in the PSP version were awful. ZOE HD is great because the original games are really really hard to find, as are ICO and SotC. The Last of Us Remastered makes sense though because there was no antialiasing in the original so just pixels everywhere.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

ZOE HD is great

Isn't there a frame rate problem with one of the games, though? And aren't technical problems common in these rereleases (or am I only thinking of Silent Hill)?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm fine with it, especially for people that missed it the first time around. I don't have an amazing PC, so buying a 1080p 60 FPS version would be worth it again to me... except that my main big TV only hits 720. Otherwise I'd easily pick up Tomb Raider again (which was my game of the year).

I missed Injustice, so I'll pick up the PS4 version eventually.

I do think $50 is a much better price point, though. Hopefully Last of Us establishes a trend.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

not to mention the price hike for most new gen games (Wii U, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4) being $69.99,

Where are you? Prices are still $59.99 in the States as far as I know.

I'm not going to buy a remaster that consists of a single game, but I am fine with buying remastered collections of games that look and run much better than their originals. The issue with PS2 games was that they didn't run at a high enough resolution and they looked bad on modern TV's. I think the issue with this generation boils down to framerate, which is a bigger problem in my opinion.

Buying HD versions of games you own is a lot like buying the Blu-Ray version of a DVD you've had for a long time. It's still the same thing, but it's presented in a much better way. Whether it's worth your time and money is up to you.

@video_game_king said:

@corruptedevil said:

ZOE HD is great

Isn't there a frame rate problem with one of the games, though? And aren't technical problems common in these rereleases (or am I only thinking of Silent Hill)?

I've always been under the impression that the Silent Hill port was the exception, not the rule - generally, these HD ports seem to hold up to the promise of looking and running better than the older versions.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258:

I know I read something about ZOE being glitchy, and I think Ico might have some problems (although I could be imagining that one).

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

Until they remaster/HD remake Vagrant Story, I couldn't care less. However, if they did that, I would pay $60 or MORE for it.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Corevi

@video_game_king: the framerate in Z.O.E 2 isn't perfect but it's completely playable, Z.O.E 1 is just a bad game, and ICO is the exact same as the PAL release of the PS2 version just upscaled, they did however make some changes to SotC to make the game harder, specifically your grip gauge runs out faster.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

My opinion is "sure, why not". I dont really get why these sorts of things get any kind of backlash. I doubt they expect YOU(someone thats purchased it once before) to repurchase the game if you dont like the idea of owning it again with slightly better graphics. There is a whole world of new potential customers.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#10  Edited By pyromagnestir

@video_game_king said:

@believer258:

I know I read something about ZOE being glitchy, and I think Ico might have some problems (although I could be imagining that one).

I just finished playing through SotC HD and that had no problems. Ran smooth and looked great. I imagine Ico should as well, seeing as it's a simpler game in some respects. None of them huge ass colossi to deal with. I'll probably start to play it tomorrow so I'll know more about that specific game then.

edit: Oh, right. There was a bit of weirdness with the occasional pop in, particularly when out riding around the open world. But it was hardly a problem. Just something you noticed once in a while.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

not to mention the price hike for most new gen games (Wii U, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4) being $69.99,

Where are you? Prices are still $59.99 in the States as far as I know.

I'm not going to buy a remaster that consists of a single game, but I am fine with buying remastered collections of games that look and run much better than their originals. The issue with PS2 games was that they didn't run at a high enough resolution and they looked bad on modern TV's. I think the issue with this generation boils down to framerate, which is a bigger problem in my opinion.

Buying HD versions of games you own is a lot like buying the Blu-Ray version of a DVD you've had for a long time. It's still the same thing, but it's presented in a much better way. Whether it's worth your time and money is up to you.

@video_game_king said:

@corruptedevil said:

ZOE HD is great

I've always been under the impression that the Silent Hill port was the exception, not the rule - generally, these HD ports seem to hold up to the promise of looking and running better than the older versions.

ZOE HD did have issues, but I heard that that it was patched. I could be wrong, though. The Silent Hill 2/3 HD ports were straight-up poor, though.

The Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster is really the standard that these collections should be held to. A lot of care went into updating the graphics, and the collection runs smoothly without the glitchiness found in the Konami examples. That it includes content that wasn't in the original North American FFX/X-2 releases also helps a lot, though that's kind of a special case.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel:

I'm guessing it's a company to company thing. Square has all these Final Mixes/International Releases lying around, meaning decent material for these rereleases. Konami generally has tech problems with theirs because the original release either did weird things with the tech at the time (ZOE) or vanished into thin air (Silent Hill).

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

For me, it's not as simple "remasters are bad" or "remasters are good," it depends entirely upon the game and my situation. I passed on Tomb Raider because I played through that game twice in 1080p/60fps on PC. However, I am planning on getting the The Last of Us and am considering GTA V, despite having played both those games already.

The Last of Us is among my favorite games of last generation, and though I've played through it several times and have gotten the platinum trophy, there is one compelling reason for me to pick up the PS4 version; multiplayer. I really enjoyed the multiplayer in The Last of Us, but most of my gaming friends were on either 360 or PC, so the entirety of my time playing was with randoms. Several of those friends now have PS4s and have expressed strong interest in The Last of Us. So in the end, the prospect of experiencing this masterpiece again looking better than ever, playing the multiplayer (which I loved) with a group of friends, and getting a chance to play the new maps (which I never bought) is more than enough reason to spend $50 on a game I already own.

Though the majority of these remasters fall into the category of ambivalence for me, I'm sure there are those that have similarly compelling reasons to pick up Tomb Raider or Metro again, so even if I don't have interest in most of them, I see no problem with these remasters existing.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I expect we'll be seeing a lot of them after The Last of Us and GTA5, which is great for me because I haven't played either of those games. I'm hoping for plenty of PS3 games done on PS4 since I never had the previous console.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FFX HD - they updated the graphics but still did not remove the random encounters

That is what I think of remasters

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I a hypocrite for laughing at the guy who came out on stage during the Microsoft conference to assure people that if they buy the halo collection, they'll be buying the exact same games they already have, but then losing my shit over the Grim Fandango announcement so badly that I somehow crashed steam?

I think my stance is that I'm basically ok with it. It's totally milking, but I think you can still make a case for most of them to exist. I held off on GTAV with the hopes of getting a PC version that looked nicer. The other worthwhile aspect is just preservation or easier access to the game. Grim Fandango is a great example of that. In this day and age of services like GOG and programs like DOSBox making it easy to get legimate access to classic old games, it's terrible how many great Lucas games have just been left to rot. No digital versions of Day Of The Tentacle, Curse Of Monkey Island, Full Throttle or Grim Fandango available anywhere. And of those games, Grim is maybe the one that could most use a makeover. Whereas the others went for a fairly timeless hand drawn look, Grim Fandango combines polygonal characters and pre-rendered backgrounds. Given how far CG and real-time rendering has come in the last 16 or so years since the release of the game, it really deserves an update as it has some of my favourite design/art direction etc basically in anything ever.

So something like that or getting out arcade accurate ports of fighting games that got less accurate home console ports in their day etc, that's all completely worthwhile. Something like the PS4 version of Tomb Raider, probably not as easy to defend.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think it's worth having a hook beyond, "hey it looks better." Take the Halo series remaster, for instance. Offering the entirety of core franchise's multiplayer carte blanche like they're doing is a pretty significant selling point for me, someone who has owned or currently does own all of the games in the docket.

Simply brushing over a game with a new coat of paint just isn't enticing enough to me. But then again, I'm probably not the market being hard-sold on the idea here.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

@grantheaslip:

I really should pop in my PS2 copy of SotC and try to fight one of the colossi, just to see how fucked I think the framerate is now. Back then I didn't really have a problem with it, but after just having played a smooth version, I imagine it'll be waaaaaaaaaaay more annoying.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@corruptedevil said:

ZOE HD is great

Nope, I just bought a limited edition box copy last week for 25 bucks. ZoE2 on PS2 ran pretty horrible and the HD collections run as smooth as butter. The biggest problems in ZoE2 was the big battle sequence where there's a million enemies on screen and your team mates are asking for help, that whole thing ran maybe 7 or 12 FPS. I even was looking up some people trying to play the game on PC emulation and it ran slow too, it's not a consistant engine, the new HD version is first time I saw particle effects of the explosion it ran too smooth I didn't know how to react.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By bigjeffrey

I get Halo 2 Anniversary + some other stuff for $60, this is how you release remasters.

No Caption Provided

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Corevi

@bigjeffrey: I'm not sure I'm okay with Reddit and Gaf being referenced on marketing materials. In fact I am quite sure I am not ok with that.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gaff
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Most HD collections I buy are typically of games I haven't played, or it at least has one in there I haven't. I primarily bought the MGS HD collection for Peace Walker, though it's also nice to have available MGS 2 & 3 in HD, too. Sometimes I buy a HD collection just to give me a reason to play through a beloved game again as well, such as Symphonia Chronicles. Though I was also intrigued in seeing just how bad its sequel was at that, and... er... it's pretty fucking bad.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaff: I figured it was because it used all the design fundamentals of the Xbone and it's all press talk ("Be among the first to experience a new generation of Halo")

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The XBLA remaster of Perfect Dark was...near...perfect...

• 1080p60
  • All features and options and modes retained
  • Added online play

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GunstarRed

@crithon said:

@video_game_king said:

@corruptedevil said:

ZOE HD is great

Nope, I just bought a limited edition box copy last week for 25 bucks. ZoE2 on PS2 ran pretty horrible and the HD collections run as smooth as butter. The biggest problems in ZoE2 was the big battle sequence where there's a million enemies on screen and your team mates are asking for help, that whole thing ran maybe 7 or 12 FPS. I even was looking up some people trying to play the game on PC emulation and it ran slow too, it's not a consistant engine, the new HD version is first time I saw particle effects of the explosion it ran too smooth I didn't know how to react.

Not sure which version of ZoE2 you were playing but the frame rate drops in the 360 one can range from playable to pretty damn awful, especially in the opening stage. The first game seemed fine though.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Remasters don't bother me. They remaster a game I haven't played but would like to someday? Great, there's a better version for me to play. They remaster a game I've already played and would like to play again? Great, the new experience will be even better than the first. They remaster a game I've got no interest in playing? Great, I don't have to buy it.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the convenience of not having to dig out an old console just to play a game I really like

KentonClay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm fine with it. The film and music industries have been doing this for decades, and it can help old games find a new audience. Of all the business tactics in the industry meant to squeeze more money out of people for less work, this is probably the least offensive.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shameless cash grabs

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think it's fine. I think they would be much cooler if studios went the extra mile and included things like developer commentary, interviews, and other little things like that, but meh, whatever I guess.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

HD remakes are the best excuse to play something you either missed or know that you love. Also, sometimes they make a game that was almost unplayable (Especially compared to the standard of games now) back to a point where they are enjoyable again.

I loved the endless wonder galloping across the world of Shadow of the Colossus, and doing that in HD with a steady frame-rate made it relaxing as well as awe-inspiring.

People underestimate how much presentation can actually change an experience (though, for some, updates can make them feel worse).

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By phantomzxro

I do think it depends on the game and price because not every game will get away with being 60 bucks. But the main reasons i like the remastered versions is

Ease of access - older games i don't want to roll out older systems and discs become easier to play when they are on the current system. Also when you have a series its always nice having them on one disc.

Playing older games i missed - There are the few gems that fall between the cracks that you miss that can have a second life when the remakes happen. You also get the bonus of them looking and running a little better.

I would also throw in with the current gen systems having more power, It's also cool to see last gen games that pushed those systems get even better when moved to ps4 & xbox one. (tomb raider & last of us)

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Corevi

@gunstarred: Konami games have always been inferior on Xbox, and most Japanese games in general. Though there are exceptions like Bayonetta which is only playable on 360 and the PS3 version is a broken mess.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I have never gone back to replay a game, remastered or otherwise; there is too much new stuff coming out that it's really hard to justify going back to something I've already experienced even if it's new and improved.

If you missed it the first time around, go for it but otherwise I think it's a waste of time and money.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By crithon

@gunstarred said:

@crithon said:

@video_game_king said:

@corruptedevil said:

ZOE HD is great

Not sure which version of ZoE2 you were playing but the frame rate drops in the 360 one can range from playable to pretty damn awful, especially in the opening stage. The first game seemed fine though.

AHHHHHHHH, PS3 version. But the original PS2 release ran really poor, does the 360 version dips down to 7 FPS or 12? Oh by the way, there was a 500mb patch when I popped it in last week.

Loading Video...

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This discussion is nearly 3 years old. I don't see how anyone who is invested enough in games to consider this topic hasn't seen it come up dozens of times already by now.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon: Definitely not that low, but it can get bad enough for it to feel like a problem.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40  Edited By crusader8463

They never remaster the games I want them to, nor do they put them out on the platforms I want. So poop on them.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By crithon

@gunstarred: there was a 500 mb patch I had to install when I loaded up the disc. So they patched the game a while ago. I could imagine it was bad, but I'm checking even emulators there's some nasty slow downs in ZoE2. They throw in so much crap on screen

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me I'm mostly indifferent to remasters unless its a franchise I really care about such as the Master Chief Collection or Metro Redux. The only other ones I can think of off the top of my head might be possible remasters of the Mass Effect or Dead Space trilogies.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It depends on the game and what work they put into "remastering" them.

For example the "remastering" of the Silent Hill games was junk and you are still better off just buying the originals (well, 2, 3 and 4) on PC.

The price point is usually lower than an actually newer game as well.

As long as the price is right, it's done acceptably, and it's a game series I cant run any other way for whatever reason- I'll buy it. The Sly collection on PS3, for example, was worth it. So was the God of War collection.

Buy it if you want, don't if you don't. It won't hurt you either way. It's really similar to remastering old films on blu ray or DVD and re-releasing them.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I think they're generally great.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

Well for GTAV and The Last of Us I am happy they did it. GTAV really lacked foliage in the last gen version. I guess that might be a silly thing to complain about but all these green Hollywood style hills without a single shred of grass on them just really got to me. Combined with the iffy performance at times and I think the game could really use a next gen makeover. The Last of Us I think is even more clear cut. The performance was God awful. The whole thing felt like it ran at 20 fps not to mention the lack of AA on the environment left the whole game filled with jaggies and pixel shimmer. I don't have a PS4 yet but when I do I will absolutely buy and play both those games on it.

The only other example of a disc based game I can think of this generation has been Tomb Raider, which again performed pretty poorly on consoles, although those with a decent PC could get most of the features of the current gen version. Basically, if the game is under a year old and ran poorly on the previous generation then I'm more than happy with a current gen port. If we are talking about something like remaking the Modern Warfare games for current gen systems, I would hope they would include all three games in a single set for like $40 at most.

Avatar image for differenceengine
DifferenceEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In nearly all cases, they're a shameless cash grab IMO. A remastered The Last of Us, really?

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SomeJerk

A lot of people in here have guns pointed to their heads forcing them to buy remastered games.

Maybe you should call 911 or try to escape from your captors.

(TLOU 1080p60 for $50 (including the DLC), great, I was busy with other things and my PS3 lost HDMI so I sold it off. GTA5 1080p30, great, PS4 came and I look forward to online without hackers. Whatever's next? I'll happily take it. Would get an Xbone if I had the desk-space and money for it for the Halo MCC.)

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@differenceengine: Agreed. Some improved textures and rerendered cut-scenes are no excuse to ask for a full price imo. No way that there's a full team at Naughty Dog working on this, probably just a couple of programmers and a texture artist working in a corner, so how is this justified? The game is a year old, it's the same game, make it half the price.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're like all games, different strokes for different folks. eg. There's no way in hell I'm buying The Last of Us again at anywhere near full price but I'm beyond (BEYOND!) happy that Ico/Shadow of the Colossus are permanently in widescreen HD and I dearly love the Halo: C.E. Anniversary edition.

They're a bit much I suppose but you just gotta pick and chose, like everything.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

I enjoyed a few of the HD Classic releases on the PS3 this past generation. That was mostly due in part to two reasons.

• my ps2 has a super hard time reading disks these days.
  • it had been a long time since I had last played that particular game.

That being said, I can honestly say I have no interest in "Remastered" games on the PS4 since most of these ps3 games I just played or still have the option to play currently.