#1 Posted by dr_nefarious (1619 posts) -

There has been some talk that the original perfect dark is coming to XBLA. I don't know exactly when or if it's true but what do you think? and do you think it will have online multiplayer capabilities? God I hope so..I didn't really care for zero but I absolutely loved the original.

#2 Posted by Wolverine (4282 posts) -

I really would never want to go back and play that game. In this day and age that game is unplayable.

#3 Posted by dr_nefarious (1619 posts) -
Wolverine said:
"I really would never want to go back and play that game. In this day and age that game is unplayable."
How can you say that!?! It's a classic! I honestly thought it was better than any of the james bond games, and that my friend says a lot.
#4 Posted by Wolverine (4282 posts) -
dr_nefarious said:
"Wolverine said:
"I really would never want to go back and play that game. In this day and age that game is unplayable."
How can you say that!?! It's a classic! I honestly thought it was better than any of the james bond games, and that my friend says a lot."
I know it was a classic and I loved it during the N64 games but have you ever gone back to play any of those old FPS games on N64? Because of modern games it is hard to put up with a lot of the things we used to put up with. They talked about this on the bombcast pretty recently.
#5 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I have only heard murmurs of Perfect Dark coming to N64 so far, and I haven't given any of it credence. There may be a possibility, but I am doubting it right now. Still, I would like to play it, even today. I am sure they will redesign the controls and graphics, because that is the only way it will work in this day and age.

#6 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

dr_nefarious, your posts are killing me. First you make one with a title that suggests the release date for Banjo-Tooie has been announced, when it still hasn't. Now a title that suggests there may be evidence to support the fact that Perfect Dark could be coming to XBLA, but there is none. Eh, no offense, though. You just keep getting my hopes up and then you know... SLAMMING THEM INTO THE GROUND! Haha, but it's cool. Don't sweat it.

Anyway, people have been wanting PD to come to XBLA forever. Ever since Microsoft purchased Rare, I'd say. I don't know why they haven't done it, and considering how so many people were disappointed with Perfect Dark Zero, maybe they never will.

#7 Posted by CoolDrMoney (1978 posts) -

Well, PD has held up a hell of a lot better than Goldeneye. It would still use nostalgia as a crutch, but it could work with some online multiplayer and tweaked controls. 

#8 Posted by pause422 (6219 posts) -

The game was great for its time...it doesn't ever need to be remade, and it would suck if it does get remade. These 'rumors' you're hearing of this have been heard for the last 3 years as well...its never going to happen.

#9 Posted by dr_nefarious (1619 posts) -
Wolverine said:
"dr_nefarious said:
"Wolverine said:
How can you say that!?! It's a classic! I honestly thought it was better than any of the james bond games, and that my friend says a lot."
I know it was a classic and I loved it during the N64 games but have you ever gone back to play any of those old FPS games on N64? Because of modern games it is hard to put up with a lot of the things we used to put up with. They talked about this on the bombcast pretty recently."
Well if you are talking about glitches and such, then most likely when it gets ported onto XBLA all of that will be fixed. and yes I still do go back and play those old games, the glitches are just part of what makes them memorable.
#10 Posted by dr_nefarious (1619 posts) -
TheGreatGuero said:
"dr_nefarious, your posts are killing me. First you make one with a title that suggests the release date for Banjo-Tooie has been announced, when it still hasn't. Now a title that suggests there may be evidence to support the fact that Perfect Dark could be coming to XBLA, but there is none. Eh, no offense, though. You just keep getting my hopes up and then you know... SLAMMING THEM INTO THE GROUND! Haha, but it's cool. Don't sweat it.Anyway, people have been wanting PD to come to XBLA forever. Ever since Microsoft purchased Rare, I'd say. I don't know why they haven't done it, and considering how so many people were disappointed with Perfect Dark Zero, maybe they never will. "
I would say you are too easily convinced then, because I have not suggested a thing about the banjo tooie release and infact was simply asking a question on when its specific release date was. Same goes for this thread. Again I think you are just too easily convinced.
#11 Posted by StarFoxA (5162 posts) -
Wolverine said:
"dr_nefarious said:
"Wolverine said:
I know it was a classic and I loved it during the N64 games but have you ever gone back to play any of those old FPS games on N64? Because of modern games it is hard to put up with a lot of the things we used to put up with. They talked about this on the bombcast pretty recently."
Dude, I played Perfect Dark just a few days ago, and it's still just as awesome.
#12 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
dr_nefarious said:
"TheGreatGuero said:
"dr_nefarious, your posts are killing me. First you make one with a title that suggests the release date for Banjo-Tooie has been announced, when it still hasn't. Now a title that suggests there may be evidence to support the fact that Perfect Dark could be coming to XBLA, but there is none. Eh, no offense, though. You just keep getting my hopes up and then you know... SLAMMING THEM INTO THE GROUND! Haha, but it's cool. Don't sweat it.Anyway, people have been wanting PD to come to XBLA forever. Ever since Microsoft purchased Rare, I'd say. I don't know why they haven't done it, and considering how so many people were disappointed with Perfect Dark Zero, maybe they never will. "
I would say you are too easily convinced then, because I have not suggested a thing about the banjo tooie release and infact was simply asking a question on when its specific release date was. Same goes for this thread. Again I think you are just too easily convinced."
No, like I said above, it's your titles that are misleading...
#13 Posted by dr_nefarious (1619 posts) -
TheGreatGuero said:
"dr_nefarious said:
"TheGreatGuero said:
I would say you are too easily convinced then, because I have not suggested a thing about the banjo tooie release and infact was simply asking a question on when its specific release date was. Same goes for this thread. Again I think you are just too easily convinced."
No, like I said above, it's your titles that are misleading..."
Well don't just read the titles..lol
#14 Edited by BigBoss1911 (2527 posts) -

Wouldent happen because Nintendo has to suck.They still own part of that game.

#15 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

highly doubtful since Nintendo and Microsoft couldn't even settle on Goldeneye.

#16 Posted by MattyFTM (14424 posts) -
suneku said:
"highly doubtful since Nintendo and Microsoft couldn't even settle on Goldeneye."
Goldeneye is a much more complicated thing. There are far more rights holders involved in goldeneye, you've got Nintendo, Microroft, The movie studio, Activision (who currently hold the rights to James Bond games) and god knows who else.

Infact, we do we even know if Nintendo hold any of the rights to perfect dark? I dunno.
#17 Posted by Maxszy (2067 posts) -
Wolverine said:
"dr_nefarious said:
"Wolverine said:
I would agree here. A few months ago a buddy of mine and I went back and played Goldeneye on the N64. The concept is still great, but man, the controls were horrible. Because its nothing we're used to anymore, it really came off as just a horrible game. Now, if they were to update the controls of say "Goldeneye" (I realize this wont happen, just theoretically speaking here) to more what we are used to now, it could still be fun. But to go back and play these games on the N64 now... it really is difficult. No matter how classic they may be.
#18 Posted by dr_nefarious (1619 posts) -
Maxszy said:
"Wolverine said:
"dr_nefarious said:
"Wolverine said:
I would agree here. A few months ago a buddy of mine and I went back and played Goldeneye on the N64. The concept is still great, but man, the controls were horrible. Because its nothing we're used to anymore, it really came off as just a horrible game. Now, if they were to update the controls of say "Goldeneye" (I realize this wont happen, just theoretically speaking here) to more what we are used to now, it could still be fun. But to go back and play these games on the N64 now... it really is difficult. No matter how classic they may be."
Yeah maybe I'm just an oldie..lol
#19 Posted by Wolverine (4282 posts) -
TheGreatGuero said:
I really enjoyed Perfect Dark Zero. It had some problems but was still a really good game. Greg K gave it a 9 back in the day. I wouldn't say that many people were disappointed with it.
#20 Posted by Captain_Fookup (1519 posts) -

Perfect Dark Zero was a complete waste of burnt calories I used picking up that shitty game off the rim of a waste can in downtown Calgary about a year ago.

#21 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
Wolverine said:
"TheGreatGuero said:
I really enjoyed Perfect Dark Zero. It had some problems but was still a really good game. Greg K gave it a 9 back in the day. I wouldn't say that many people were disappointed with it.
"
It gets hated on a lot today, man. Many felt it was a good launch title, but quickly became far outdated. I bought it, and only played the first level. I found the aiming to be pretty darn awful. One day I'll try giving it another shot, but man, I had such a difficult time with aiming. It just felt so very wrong to me.
#22 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1576 posts) -
TheGreatGuero said:
Banjo tooie has been announced they've even announced the achievements.
#23 Posted by EpicSteve (6495 posts) -

I don't wanna be "that guy", but I really don't think you want to go back to Perfect Dark (and GoldEye) Those games did not age well whatsoever.

#24 Edited by PenguinDust (12604 posts) -

Have you enjoyed the reruns of Doom or Marathon on XBLA?  If not then, chances are you'd be disappointed by an XBL arcade version of the original Perfect Dark.  Much like old episodes of G.I. Joe and ALF, some things are better left in our memories.  FPS games have jumped lightyears since then, and most people would likely be dissatisfied with the game.  People who have no nostalgia for the exploits of Joanna Dark would wonder what all the fuss was about.  There are several modern* arcade FPSs in the pipe [Battlefield 1943 & Quake 3 Arena] that I think would be more successful and better receieved by the Xbox community than a retread of the original Perfect Dark.  Now having said that, if Rare was to completely update the title much like 1942: Joint Strike or Bionic Commando Rearmed, then I think your idea could work.

*By "modern" I mean they've been developed with new engines and designed to run on XBL. 

#25 Posted by AuthenticM (3791 posts) -

The original Perfect Dark is one of the best video games ever crafted. A way better shooter than Goldeneye. The game needs to get remade for XBLA. Pronto.

#26 Posted by dr_nefarious (1619 posts) -
PenguinDust said:
"Have you enjoyed the reruns of Doom or Marathon on XBLA?  If not then, chances are you'd be disappointed by an XBL arcade version of the original Perfect Dark.  Much like old episodes of G.I. Joe and ALF, some things are better left in our memories.  FPS games have jumped lightyears since then, and most people would likely be dissatisfied with the game.  People who have no nostalgia for the exploits of Joanna Dark would wonder what all the fuss was about.  There are several modern* arcade FPSs in the pipe [Battlefield 1943 & Quake 3 Arena] that I think would be more successful and better receieved by the Xbox community than a retread of the original Perfect Dark.  Now having said that, if Rare was to completely update the title much like 1942: Joint Strike or Bionic Commando Rearmed, then I think your idea could work.*By "modern" I mean they've been developed with new engines and designed to run on XBL.  "
Exactly. It needs to be revamped to every nuke and cranny.
#27 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -
suneku said:
"highly doubtful since Nintendo and Microsoft couldn't even settle on Goldeneye."
And Killer Instinct. :( Man... I would totally buy that in a heartbeat if it came out on XBLA.
#28 Posted by AgentofChaos (1565 posts) -

Can they even? Doesn't nintendo own the rights to that game, but not the franchise?

#29 Posted by dr_nefarious (1619 posts) -
AgentofChaos said:
"Can they even? Doesn't nintendo own the rights to that game, but not the franchise?"
  Nintendo owns no rights to perfect dark so I don't see why the game hasn't launched already..
#30 Posted by Daz0608 (384 posts) -

I think it could happen and I think it will be dissapointing if they don't update graphics/controls and just do a port.

#31 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -
suneku said:
Perfect Dark is a Rare IP. So is Banjo. Banjo came to XBLA. Therefore its just as possible to see Perfect Dark.
#32 Posted by pause422 (6219 posts) -

No, its not gonna happen, let the thread die. /end

#33 Posted by dr_nefarious (1619 posts) -
pause422 said:
"No, its not gonna happen, let the thread die. /end"
Why wouldn't it happen?
#34 Posted by second_hand_fart (29 posts) -
dr_nefarious said:
"pause422 said:
"No, its not gonna happen, let the thread die. /end"
Why wouldn't it happen?"
It is going to happen. He's just a troll.
#35 Posted by MasturbatingBear (1781 posts) -

Well isn't the fun most people had with that partially due to the fact that many of the people who played the game lived in dorms? Where like they could have crazy tournaments and shit. It seems online play would kinda lose that feeling for those people. The game is kinda unplayable now because of the way you controlled it, im sure it would play great with 2 joysticks so I don't think thats a problem. Just kinda, does that work now?