• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by McBEEF (360 posts) -

Recently sold my Xbox 360, and am looking to buy either a PS2 or Xbox to take away to University.  I figure if it gets broken or stolen then I wont mind as much as I would if it was the 360. 
 Also now that theyre really cheap I can get the games I always wanted to play but didnt have the money for back when I was a kid.

So ive been trying to decide between the 2, theyre both pretty solid consoles. I used to have a Ps2 so I know what theyre like but how does the xbox compare? The games on the Xbox seem more similar to PC ones, while the Ps2 has a larger library but a lot of them are crappy.  So, whats your thoughts? Thanks

#2 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -

...buy back the 360...

Seriously.

#3 Posted by Druminator (1676 posts) -

PS2 has more/better games, plus the servers for XBOX games are going offline so no more online gaming.

#4 Posted by drowsap (681 posts) -

there is no question here the Xbox was junk compared to the ps2 (xbox did have halo2 but  yea 9s2 so much better)

#5 Posted by Out_On_Bail (1545 posts) -

They still make games for the PS2 so I'd go with that.

#6 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -

But duder! If it gets broken or stolen, it was because you forgot to lock your dorm room door, or you have shifty room mates! :P

It's a hard decision but I'd say the PS2. The original XBOX had some pretty good games, like Halo and Dead or Alive, but i think the PS2 is where it's at for better controller, and lots of game choice.

#7 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -

So you got rid of your 360 so it wouldn't get stolen?  That makes no sense.
#8 Posted by Kbm600 (446 posts) -

KOTOR.

#9 Posted by Bones8677 (3228 posts) -

PS2 is easy to find in stores. XBox has been discontinued so you would have to go through online stores for used units. PS2 is just a better system, however, be sure to take note what kind of games you like. As each game plays to each system's strengths and weaknesses.

#10 Posted by ApertureSilence (1156 posts) -

The Xbox was the more powerful system, but it just doesn't have the support and game library that the PS2 has.

So yeah, PS2.

Also, you're fucking crazy selling your 360.

#11 Posted by itzjayjay (21 posts) -

had way more fun with the original xbox. ps2 had far more games but I only liked a few of them. had both consoles at home though.
if you're going to play some multiplat-games, go with the xbox. they look way better.  

obvious decision for me.

#12 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -

PS2 easily.  Tons of great games.

#13 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -
@Burns098356GX said:
" ...buy back the 360...  Seriously. "
#14 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

PS2. Honestly your roommates may have a 360, just buddy buddy with them and use theirs.

#15 Posted by krystians (403 posts) -

I will never buy Sony products because they continue copying other companies. I would rather get xbox. But seriously get the 360 back!

#16 Posted by ProfessorEss (7323 posts) -

I woulda kept that 360, but as far as XBox or PS2 goes - I'd go PS2 for sure.

#17 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -
@Coombs said:
" @Burns098356GX said:
"
#18 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -
@krystians said:
" I will never buy Sony products because they continue copying other companies. I would rather get xbox. But seriously get the 360 back! "
lol...
#19 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -

I would get a PS2. Lots of great games there, and like mentioned before, they still make games for that.

#20 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@RobotHamster said:
" @Coombs said:
" @Burns098356GX said:
"
"
how often do people consoles get stolen at college?
#21 Posted by Chirag4 (585 posts) -

Get a PS2 and buy a shit ton of JRPGs sir.

#22 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -

PS2. Larger library with lots of great games.

#23 Posted by Jost1 (2077 posts) -

dude you sold your 360

#24 Posted by CornBREDX (5100 posts) -

I have to agree with the majority here. I have had both consoles and while I love XBOX I honestly didnt find many great games on it. PS2 had more games, is still easy to find brand new, and while not all the games are great theres still a larger selection of good games on PS2. If you got an XBOX it'd probably be used or else really expensive and I dont think youd be as happy with that. Just my opinoin, I loved both consoles  but being that they are older consoles, IMO anyway, it'd be smarter to get the one with the larger library (more choices) and is still being made.
#25 Posted by NickLott (793 posts) -

I would get a ps2 for the game library and I believe it's much cheaper to buy a new ps2 than a new Xbox 1.  If you're a big retro gamer and are into emulators, doing shady things with an xbox 1 might be more your thing. 

#26 Posted by wwfundertaker (1400 posts) -

Ps2, you can easily buy over 100 games and it wouldnt cost a lot.

#27 Posted by MattyFTM (14368 posts) -

The PS2 has a huuuuge library of awesome games. PS2 is definitely the way to go.

Moderator Online
#28 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -

PS2, but if you really don't care about the console, get a GP2XWiz. It looks ugly and cheap, but free games! 

#29 Edited by McBEEF (360 posts) -
@FiestaUnicorn: No,  i figured that 360's are more fragile than older consoles, my friend knocked it onto its side form a standing position and I had to send it away, so yeah I think a ps2 or xbox would survive the trip down and any bashes it might get.
#30 Posted by McBEEF (360 posts) -
@Ryax: I know a couple of people who are at University at the moment who have had their laptops stolen..so yeah
#31 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I personally owned an original Xbox as a kid, no regrets there. But the fact that I'm actually considering buying a PS2 even though I have a fully functional 360 says something about the console. Then again, I mainly want it for Persona 4.

#32 Posted by dankempster (2252 posts) -

Go for the PS2. I had a break-in experience at University last year, in which the thief took my 360, my DS and my MP3 player, but left my PS2 untouched, so they're obviously not in demand on the criminal circuit. 

On a more serious note, though, the PlayStation 2 is the most successful home console ever released and has a back-catalogue of hundreds of brilliant games, most of which can be picked up extremely cheaply these days. Regardless of whether or not you're off to University, you should own a PS2.

#33 Posted by Blueman (753 posts) -

The Gamecube was a great console that most people missed first time around. I think you should at least consider it.
#34 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

PS2, most definitely.  If not, get the Gamecube.

#35 Posted by McBEEF (360 posts) -
@dankempster: Sorry you lost all that gear, thanks for the advice though
#36 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

1st choice get back your 360.  2nd to me it is a no brainer between the PS2 and the Xbox.  Get the PS2 there are a ton of games at your local Gamestop and easy to find at other places as well.  I actually play my PS2 more than my Wii and almost as much as my PS3.

#37 Posted by Bombs_Away (1010 posts) -
@McBEEF:
Why didn't you just take out contents insurance? That way if it got stolen then you could claim it back...you should really have it anyway. Really stupid move selling the 360. You shouldn't be allowed into college after making stupid decisions like that. Just go work in McDonalds, that's your place in society now. Go on now...
#38 Posted by championfetus (245 posts) -

go with the ps2 slim and save some desk space. Also, that console is RPG heaven if you're into that sort of thing.

#39 Posted by Dirty_Harry (717 posts) -

ps2 dude

#40 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -
@McBEEF said:
" @Bombs_Away: First- if youd read it right, im going to university, not college. or maybe you think thats the same thing.  
In my experience, as an American, when I hear "univeristy" or "college" i think about the same thing. I'm sure many other people do too. 
Also, buy a Ps2. Gamestop doesn't even sell Xbox games anymore.
#41 Posted by Bombs_Away (1010 posts) -
@McBEEF said:
" @Bombs_Away: First- if youd read it right, im going to university, not college. or maybe you think thats the same thing. Second-its one games console for another, and an older one is much less likely to be stolen in the first place, or break like the fragile 360  I asked for peoples opinions on which console to buy, not for asshole comments from people with an apparent eli roth hard-on.    "
OK then...If it's gonna be like that.

FIRST - This is an American site with mainly American users, they say college for university. I've got used to saying it. 
SECOND - An old PS2 is fragile, many of them break down. You're gonna end up buying one from a shop or online with no idea of the history behind it and how the previous owner treated it. It will not last you your entire time at uni, I guarantee you that.
THIRD - I gave you my opinion, you should have taken out insurance. I take it you're in the UK if you say University, and as I'm in my third year I know that it is dirt cheap to take out insurance. The fact is that if you get broken into you are gonna have to deal with a broken window, door as well as other stolen goods. Surely it would be wise to take out insurance to protect everything in the house rather than buy an old console. 
 FOURTH - Yes I have a picture of Eli Roth as my avatar. Where the fuck did you get that I have an Eli Roth hard on? 

That good enough for you?
#42 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -
@Bombs_Away said:
" @McBEEF said:
" @Bombs_Away: First- if youd read it right, im going to university, not college. or maybe you think thats the same thing. Second-its one games console for another, and an older one is much less likely to be stolen in the first place, or break like the fragile 360  I asked for peoples opinions on which console to buy, not for asshole comments from people with an apparent eli roth hard-on.    "
SECOND - An old PS2 is fragile, many of them break down. You're gonna end up buying one from a shop or online with no idea of the history behind it and how the previous owner treated it. It will not last you your entire time at uni, I guarantee you that.  
I agree with everything you said but this. I haven't met anyone who's PS2 has just broken down. My Ps2 has been kicked, controllers have been killed, an ex-girlfriend knocked it off a six foot tall dresser and it slammed hard on the ground, and I leave it on all night pretty much every night. I've had a Ps2 since middle school, and I'm a Sophomore in College/University now. Me and my friends may be an exception, but I'd say the PS2 is sturdy as hell.
#43 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -
@Ryax said:
" @RobotHamster said:
" @Coombs said:
" @Burns098356GX said:
"
"
how often do people consoles get stolen at college? "
Never had mines stolen. Or heard of anybody elses...
#44 Posted by xyzygy (9947 posts) -

Peronsally I loved the Original Xbox. I found it had really quirky games or games that weren't or couldn't be done on the PS2, like:  

Gunvalkyrie 
JSRF 
Breakdown 
Otogi 1 and 2 
Riddick 
Armed and Dangerous 
Arx Fatalis 
Morrowind 
Tao Feng 
Brute Force 
Conker 
Crimson Skies 
Munch's Oddyssey 
DOA3 
Crimson Sea 
Deathrow 
Deus Ex 2 
Doom 3 
Enclave 
Fable 
Jade Empire 
KOTOR 
KOTOR 2 
Ninja Gaiden Black 
Panzer Dragoon Orta 

Just some off the top of my head :P Mind you, I didn't have a PS2 but it was only because I felt wholly satisfied by owning only an Xbox.

#45 Posted by Bombs_Away (1010 posts) -
@davidwitten22: To be honest I am just going off personal experience. My PS2 lasted a long time and suffered similar punishment as yours did. I'm on my third one now though. Most of the problems I've heard of relate to the Slim version though. The fat version was a monster!
#46 Posted by agentboolen (1763 posts) -

Dumbest thing I have ever heard.  Really dumb....  I'm worried its going to get stolen so i'm going to trade it in to gamestop and get totally ripped off and buy a ps2 and a few games.  Yea sure that was a good plan, sorry to beat up on you but it just sounds stupid...  Not to mention do you have any idea how many people are going to have Xbox 360 there.  Paranoia just made you waste your money.

#47 Posted by McBEEF (360 posts) -
@Bombs_Away: 
alright alright i got a little pissed off, but you told me to go work in mcdonalds and called me an idiot, so yes 'its going to be like that'.  To your points-

Second -I plan on buying the Ps2 or xbox from someone I know, so yes I will be able to ask about the history and if it has any problems, but i see what you mean if i bought it off the net

Third-Your opinion was to insult me as I said before, and yeah I realise that if i got broken into itd cost a bit, but id rather have someone steal the Ps2 I got for really cheap than the xbox 360 id gotten and then get compensated for it- yknow?

Fourth- yes yes i apologise I got annoyed at your comments mine werent necessary but neither were yours  sorry

Just want to stop this thread being just an argument
#48 Posted by Bombs_Away (1010 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" Peronsally I loved the Original Xbox. I found it had really quirky games or games that weren't or couldn't be done on the PS2, like:   Gunvalkyrie JSRF Breakdown Otogi 1 and 2 Riddick Armed and Dangerous Arx Fatalis Morrowind Tao Feng Brute Force Conker Crimson Skies Munch's Oddyssey DOA3 Crimson Sea Deathrow Deus Ex 2 Doom 3 Enclave Fable Jade Empire KOTOR KOTOR 2 Ninja Gaiden Black Panzer Dragoon Orta  Just some off the top of my head :P Mind you, I didn't have a PS2 but it was only because I felt wholly satisfied by owning only an Xbox. "
HALF LIFE 2!? Where's Half Life 2!!!!! :p
#49 Posted by McBEEF (360 posts) -
@agentboolen: I can see what your thinking, but I managed to sell the 360 for more than i bought it for to a friend, and a Ps2 is only like £40 so i dont see it as a ripoff

maybe a little paranoid but like i said in another post 2 or 3 people I know have been broken into and lost stuff, so i figured that a ps2 or xbox would more likely survive my whole time at uni than the 360, and be cheaper to replace if it got stolen.
#50 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3070 posts) -

PS2.