Other good 1st person shooters similar Call of Duty?

• 59 results
saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By saoakden

I have been playing Call of Duty 4 Modern Warefare and I think its a pretty fun game. Lately I've been noticing some games that are shooters that are similar to Call of Duty and I was wondering which games are worth playing.

I think it was Battlefield, Medal of Honor, ands Killzone have been mentioned. Are these games fun? Are they better the CoD? Are they almost as good as CoD? & what are some other good first person shooters?

Dexter_Morgan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Dexter_Morgan_

....Ayyye.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Erm...

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Geno

Metro 2033 and Crysis are the best shooters of this generation. STALKER is also pretty good but a little unforgiving.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

None of those games have the same feel that Call of Duty has. If you've only played the first Modern Warfare, why not try the 2nd or 3rd one? What do you like about it? The singleplayer or the multiplayer? 

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By TehFlan

You should try Duke Nukem Forever.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@Geno: But those are all great games; he said he wants some like CoD.

Ooooooooooh...

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TehFlan said:

You should try Duke Nukem Forever.

Yes, try. That's as far as anyone should go for that game.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GS_Dan

Try Quake Live?

hmmisee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hmmisee

I heard Dwarf Fortress is similar to Call of Duty.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By mrfizzy

I found that Medal of Honor was no where near as bad as I thought it was going to be. However it is not as batshit insane as COD, they went for a more "gritty", realistic presentation.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Vinny_Says

Borderlands has the "feel" of CoD in my eyes, but the two could not be anymore different in all other aspects.

But then again just saying you like CoD4 gives me no information. Do you like the singleplayer? the multiplayer? the setting? the rewards system?

udabenshen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By udabenshen

Blacklight retribution is fun and free.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By penguindust

If you want to try something that's a step up from CODMW, try the two Rainbow Six Vegas games. They move at a reasonable pace and have a decent arsenal. It adds some tactical gameplay, too since you'll direct your teammates to flank or surprise the enemy.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The closest experience in MP is Battlefield 3.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ProfessorEss
@Vinny_Says said:

But then again just saying you like CoD4 gives me no information. Do you like the singleplayer? the multiplayer? the setting? the rewards system?

Yeah, you might get some better suggestions if you gave people a better idea of what it is you like about CoD. 

The platforms you play on would help as well.
saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By saoakden

Yeah, I was not thinking clearly when I posted this. Probably my worst forum topic I ever posted on this website. After I posted this, I started looking into the games I listed and I realize that CoD gives off a different kind of experience. I should try those games out for myself when I get the chance.

@Vinny_Says: Yeah just saying I liked the game doesn't give out a lot of info. I like the single player mode and I like the multiplayer of the game.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Singularity is worth a punt.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By clstirens

Battlefield 3 is good, but it's "slower" paced than CoD. As in, run and gun works sometimes, but often you'll just get yourself killed, fast.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By saoakden

@ProfessorEss: In more detail, I have CoD Modern Warefare for the Xbox 360. I like the story in the singular player. I liked how the game was set in modern times unlike previous games were they were set in WW2. I don't care when the game takes place. It can be set in the old west or the year 2030 and I wouldn't care. But if they take place during the same era and don't do anything to make it different in the next game, then I start to worry.The multiplayer was fun. being able to go up against other players, even though people would take me out with a headshot oor something.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By supamon

@saoakden: Just curious here but what other games do you own? Is CoD the only franchise or genre you play?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Crysis 2 multiplayer is a complete imitation of Call of Duty, if that's what you are looking for I recommend it.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By saoakden

@supamon: Are you refering to first person shooters? If so, I also play Halo. But I only played Halo 3.

Emperor_Jimmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Emperor_Jimmu

Have you considered video games?

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By saoakden

@Emperor_Jimmu: Huh?

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zaccheus

What is happening here? I'm so confused. I just see a troll trolling everyone, but I think that's just my internet jadedness talking. I don't know what's real anymore.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SexyToad

What do you mean similar? Similar as shooting games or similar gameplay? Battlefield is way different than Cod. That have jets, tanks, random are, huge maps, lower health, no Healy regeneration, and more of a team based game. Don't get me wrong it's a fun game. Look up gameplay at YouTube to see if you like it. Medal of honor I would say is the closest to the gameplay but i don't remember it being good. Just get the news cod, modern warfare 3 is really awesome, and get modern warfare 2 if you are into the storyline.

Emperor_Jimmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Emperor_Jimmu

@saoakden: I'm sorry, I'm not being helpful. This is just the most open ended question ever asked. It reminds me of a question answered on My Brother, My Brother and Me; Recommend a film other than The Lake House.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ProfessorEss
@saoakden said:

@supamon: Are you refering to first person shooters? If so, I also play Halo. But I only played Halo 3.

If you enjoyed Halo 3 I can't help but suggest that you give Reach or ODST a shot. I enjoyed both quite a bit. 
Battlefield is also another solid suggestion. It has a lot in common with CoD but the vehicles add a whole different dimension. 

I realize these are pretty straightforward suggestions but frankly I think they're the popular ones for a reason. Plus popularity usually means it's quicker and easier to get into multiplayer matches.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jimbo

CoD 4 was pretty much the pinnacle of this particular brand of FPS, imo.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Drebin_893

@Zaccheus said:

What is happening here? I'm so confused. I just see a troll trolling everyone, but I think that's just my internet jadedness talking. I don't know what's real anymore.

I assume it's either that or the poster is just really, really, really young. Like maybe ten or so.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By supamon

@saoakden said:

So you don't play any other games? Halo 3 and Modern Warfare 1 are the only games you have played?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By Justin258

Crysis 2 and Homefront are close enough, though Call of Duty is Call of Duty and nothing worth playing is exactly like it. Battlefield looks close but is different in several enough ways to make it quite different.

For good first person shooters in general, though, try Bulletstorm, Halo Reach, Crysis 1, Bioshock, Singularity, and FEAR.

@saoakden said:

@ProfessorEss: In more detail, I have CoD Modern Warefare for the Xbox 360. I like the story in the singular player. I liked how the game was set in modern times unlike previous games were they were set in WW2. I don't care when the game takes place. It can be set in the old west or the year 2030 and I wouldn't care. But if they take place during the same era and don't do anything to make it different in the next game, then I start to worry.The multiplayer was fun. being able to go up against other players, even though people would take me out with a headshot oor something.

English isn't your first language, is it?

Are you putting this into Google Translate?

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By scarace360

Csgo when that comes out. Also serious sam 3.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By saoakden

@supamon: In terms of first person shooters on the 360 yes. Believe me I played a bunch of other games. I have played at least 28-30 games on the 360. Oh yeah I almost forgot, I played Black Ops, I liked the game but I only played like 4 levels. That's because it was my stepbrothers game and he traded it in at gamestop.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By saoakden

@believer258: English is my first language. I only use google translate to translate english to spanish.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By Seppli

@saoakden:

Do yourself a favor and get Battlefield Bad Company 1 & 2 & BF1943. Campaigns are enjoyable enough, and depending on preference multiplayer-wise, they blow CoD:MW & sequels out of the water. Battlefield 3's Close Quarters DLC has similar gameplay to the Call of Duty type of games, and is quite successful at it too.

Also - were you born yesterday? No offense intended, just curious. Oh, and here's a montage of BF:BC 2 Vietnam - t'was hella good...

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@scarace360 said:

CS:Go isn't like CoD. =/

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By Alexander

Personally I feel you will be disappointed with the single player in any Battlefield game compared to Call of Duty. Unless multiplayer is your thing Battlefield is middling.

I think while not an FPS Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2 are pretty good. They have the scale and setting similar to Modern Warfare and the campaign is really good, they're much more forgiving than the original game.

Another Tom Clancy title would be Rainbow Six: Vegas, again it has a decent single player, again it's more forgiving than earlier games in the franchise and it's a first person military shooter in a modern day setting.

The above titles can be picked up dirt cheap on eBay.

If you do want to do multiplayer, and only then, consider Battlefield.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Geno said:
Metro 2033 and Crysis are the best shooters of this generation. STALKER is also pretty good but a little unforgiving.
Hmm, you really think M2033 is on par with those two FPS titans?
krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By krazy_kyle

Is this someones mum?

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By scarace360

@NekuSakuraba said:

@scarace360 said:

CS:Go isn't like CoD. =/

Ya but its a good game.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By supamon

@saoakden: Well, the problem is Modern Warfare has pretty much cornered the market for modern shooters so there isn't a lot of choices for modern shooters except for Battlefield and Medal of honor.

You didn't state whether you minded sci-fi but there are quite a few good sci-fi shooters on the market. There are plenty of good suggestions in this thread already but I'll say try Bioshock series, Syndicate, Halo Reach/ODST and Rage.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Geno
@AhmadMetallic said:
@Geno said:
Hmm, you really think M2033 is on par with those two FPS titans?
Yes. Metro is also one of the few shooters that provides a story other than canned action movie melodrama (which unfortunately even Crysis is a little guilty of). Bullets as money is an interesting mechanic, and it lays claim to a certain degree of pacing and atmosphere that is somewhat unseen in games as a whole.
alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#45  Edited By alistercat

@Geno said:

I really didn't like Metro 2033 all that much, but I'm right there with you with Crysis. Might be my favourite FPS of all time.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By saoakden

@supamon: Thats what Im starting to figure out. Call of Duty Modern Warefare was given to me as a gift and I just tried it out.

I really don't mind sci-fi shooters. The Sci-fi games come out with interesting weapons and interesting gameplay. I mentioned I played Halo 3. I heard of Rage, it sounds interesting. I have defintely heard of Bioshock before. I never bother to pick up the game when it first came out because at the time I didn't own a Xbox 360. I want to pick up the Halo games but I need money and I have never heard of the game Syndicate. Some of the other games that were mentioned earlier sound interesting as well. I think a few people mentioned Crysis 2. I'm not 100% sure who brought it up on this forum.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A game like Call Of Duty 4.. hmm.. Nope can't think of any.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Grillbar

batlefield 3/bdcompany 1 and 2?

sockemjetpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sockemjetpack

Blacklight: Retribution is decent. More customization and it's free too.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50  Edited By Sackmanjones
@saoakden A lot of people are hot and cold on rage but I liked it. It's a bit slower than those shooters and there is some roaming around but the shooting sections are great. Also it's only 20 bucks and I'd be willing to bet the 2 other halo games are also around the 20-30 market.