Our Complaints, Our Relation

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I went through a serious realization as the days passed--something that I had to urge myself into expressing. We all complain about the whining children in our online gaming communities, for they spew grotesque squabble within our very ears. Pessimistic gamers state bluntly that children are the dominant populace in the game industry at the present moment. It's an obvious speck of knowledge that we already know, ever since the release of Halo2 and the bulging sells that shocked the some of us.

Since then, we've been yanked of our sanity by young gamers. They threw away their Toddy Alphabet Adventure Deluxe boxes in the trash and witnessed their true fluorescent discovery of online gaming. As immature as they were, it was their first time. We all have had a discovery during our lives that involved the very hobby that we interact with. We remember the time when we beat Mario, even when we were rudely told that the Princess was in another castle. We also remember the first time a head crab tried to latch unto our faces in Half-Life. Oh, and that time when we witnessed the exteriors of Kikori Forest in Ocarina of Time. Or experiencing SHODAN for the first time in System Shock1/2.

No Caption Provided

We too were whiny, bratty, misbehaved children. Our shock-and-awes have stretched far and wide as our hobby's history carried along the timeliness of planet Earth. They will grow up and talk about how awesome it was when they got an Overkill in Halo3, back when they were six years old, just as how we restate our past times in gaming. Forgive my overuse of the word "we", but we gamers seem to never give children the chance to explore gaming and the details that it carries within its developers and industry. Plus, sad and funny as it is, we never realize that we were once like them. We complain about how popular titles like Halo and Call of Duty are for kids, and are inferior to the awesomeness that is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with its realistic gameplay and survival mechanics.  

No Caption Provided

Honestly, we don't give new breeds the chance they deserve. As we mock children because of their natural actions, we don't grow a sense of guilt within ourselves. Gamers have to start some where, such as how we had a genesis with our Nintendo controllers and Sega Genesis controllers (notice the failed pun). We were never back talked by adults and young teenagers, for online gaming ceased to exist. The memory of how we truly were as kids has deteriorated as such, also deteriorating our wise persona towards the adolescent. Let children game, and teach them that soon, they will experience their fair share of kid whines.  It is their first time, after all.

God, that last sentence sounded wrong...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went through a serious realization as the days passed--something that I had to urge myself into expressing. We all complain about the whining children in our online gaming communities, for they spew grotesque squabble within our very ears. Pessimistic gamers state bluntly that children are the dominant populace in the game industry at the present moment. It's an obvious speck of knowledge that we already know, ever since the release of Halo2 and the bulging sells that shocked the some of us.

Since then, we've been yanked of our sanity by young gamers. They threw away their Toddy Alphabet Adventure Deluxe boxes in the trash and witnessed their true fluorescent discovery of online gaming. As immature as they were, it was their first time. We all have had a discovery during our lives that involved the very hobby that we interact with. We remember the time when we beat Mario, even when we were rudely told that the Princess was in another castle. We also remember the first time a head crab tried to latch unto our faces in Half-Life. Oh, and that time when we witnessed the exteriors of Kikori Forest in Ocarina of Time. Or experiencing SHODAN for the first time in System Shock1/2.

No Caption Provided

We too were whiny, bratty, misbehaved children. Our shock-and-awes have stretched far and wide as our hobby's history carried along the timeliness of planet Earth. They will grow up and talk about how awesome it was when they got an Overkill in Halo3, back when they were six years old, just as how we restate our past times in gaming. Forgive my overuse of the word "we", but we gamers seem to never give children the chance to explore gaming and the details that it carries within its developers and industry. Plus, sad and funny as it is, we never realize that we were once like them. We complain about how popular titles like Halo and Call of Duty are for kids, and are inferior to the awesomeness that is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with its realistic gameplay and survival mechanics.  

No Caption Provided

Honestly, we don't give new breeds the chance they deserve. As we mock children because of their natural actions, we don't grow a sense of guilt within ourselves. Gamers have to start some where, such as how we had a genesis with our Nintendo controllers and Sega Genesis controllers (notice the failed pun). We were never back talked by adults and young teenagers, for online gaming ceased to exist. The memory of how we truly were as kids has deteriorated as such, also deteriorating our wise persona towards the adolescent. Let children game, and teach them that soon, they will experience their fair share of kid whines.  It is their first time, after all.

God, that last sentence sounded wrong...
Neon941

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Neon941

I never seem to encounter kids online, maybe I don't play enough Halo. Personally though if I ever have kids they're starting from the bottom like I did, they'll get a ratty old gameboy until I see fit to give them a Genesis and they'll bloody well like it.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By StarFoxA

I'm fine with kids gaming, I just don't want some 10 year old screaming racial and sexual expletives that he doesn't understand over a microphone.

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By AltonBrown
@StarFoxA said:

" I'm fine with kids gaming, I just don't want some 10 year old screaming racial and sexual expletives that he doesn't understand over a microphone. "

I echo your position exactly.

Great blog, by the way,
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

The main difference between our experiences and theirs is that ours were more personal; we weren't forcing them on other people in other countries (even if those countries are usually Canada/something in Europe).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Video_Game_King said:

" The main difference between our experiences and theirs is that ours were more personal; we weren't forcing them on other people in other countries (even if those countries are usually Canada/something in Europe). "

You do carry a good point. We never played games with others unless it involved next door neighbors or family members that wanted to join in as second or fourth player. But now that online gaming is the norm of this age, it's rather hard to derail such a subject in today's games, especially as a child.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude

That's why I like the Wii's online gaming. It's nice and quiet for a beginner like me. I only play Team Fortress 2 on the PC and again, nice and quiet... for the most part. I'm also not a big fan of multiplayer shooters, so that might play a part.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Brendan

Althugh this post rings alot of truth, I can't relate because I don't seem to encounter alot of kids online.  When I played alot of Halo 3, I mostly encountered palyers my own age who I would play with for several games in a row because they were mostly cool people.  I feel like alot of people just like to complain, and that the bad experiences are fewer and more far between than people like to make them seem.
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By AndrewB

I'd have to agree with the sentiment that, back then, any of our cursing and "self discoveries" were made in private. And I never remember spouting racial/sexual slurs at other people. The worst I came was the occasional "fuck you" in Counter-Strike, usually in response to a hacker or exploiter, or an abusive admin. There is a huge difference in the now and the then, and you can't compare the two.