#3 Posted by Animasta (14730 posts) -

I can't wait to play angry birds on it

#4 Edited by BBAlpert (1583 posts) -

Isn't that kind of what the Nexus Q is?

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_q

#5 Posted by guiseppe (2842 posts) -

If it is truly open, I'm down with it.

#6 Posted by Nadafinga (959 posts) -

The joy of having an app store on my TV.

Yay?

#7 Posted by SikNastiWitIt (23 posts) -

@BBAlpert said:

Isn't that kind of what the Nexus Q is?

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_q

Nexus Q doesn't have a controller, or at least one that comes out of the box. An android phone is a poor replacement for an actually controller. Also, Nexus Q is $300...

#8 Posted by CaLe (4058 posts) -

Wow this thing is getting a lot of money really fast.. I didn't expect that. Launching a hardware platform usually requires much more than 1 MILLION DOLLARS. If I'm not mistaken.

#9 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Terrible idea. I can already play android games on my tv using hdmi and a blutooth controller(if i were crazy enough to do so) not to mention that the Google Play appstore is completely barren.

Why would you ever play phonegames on your tv?

950k is not enough anyway. This project is doomed to fail.

#10 Posted by stinky (1554 posts) -

dumb.

android will get their own version of airplay and there will be no need for this.

#11 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

Its the gift that keeps on giving.

#12 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

I always laugh at promises of revolution and change to the gaming industry. Everyone says that now.

#13 Posted by Nonapod (126 posts) -

It's certainly a noble idea. I'm fairly certain this isn't the first time an open source game console has been attempted. I have to wonder how they'd deal with piracy being so hacker friendly and all. I gotta believe the major developers won't be interested in producing games for a system that was too pirate friendly.

The hardware specs are a bit underwhelming. While the Tegra 3 is hot stuff in the smart device world, it's not quite at the level of a 360 or PS3 due to various constraints like memory bandwidth.

#14 Edited by SikNastiWitIt (23 posts) -

According the developers, this will have games specifically developed for it using the controller. I can see it being a flop simply because the games aren't there.

Also, *cough*emulators*cough*

#15 Posted by betterboulder (190 posts) -

I'll toss in 10 bucks. At the very least it will be an interesting experiment to watch pan out.

#16 Posted by skyline7284 (508 posts) -

Am I the only person who thinks the controller looks like absolute garbage? It looks like it's made of cheap plastic. Also the circle button is weirdly tilted. This thing just smells like a scam to me.

#17 Posted by ajamafalous (12165 posts) -

That's actually super interesting, and they've made $50k since I opened the page 10 minutes ago. Looks like this'll easily get funded, so I'm anxious to see how it pans out. Might even pick one up if it does well enough.

#18 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Wow, this is making money extremely fast. They are going to get way more than 1 million dollars.

#19 Posted by Bojangle (84 posts) -

This is incredibly interesting, and the rate at which they're getting funding just goes to show there's a massive demand for something like this. Interesting times!

#20 Posted by BigDaddy81 (330 posts) -

As someone who primarily plays on a console, this idea interests me greatly. I really think something like this is needed to shake up the console industry, as I think the path they are on now leads to a dead end. Whether this Ouya will be the catalyst to do it remains to be seen, but I chipped in $99 in hopes that it does succeed.

#21 Posted by skyline7284 (508 posts) -

@Bojangle said:

This is incredibly interesting, and the rate at which they're getting funding just goes to show there's a massive demand for something like this. Interesting times!

I would argue that "Massive" is a relative term. As of this writing they've sold about 5,000 boxes. For a kickstarter it's a lot, sure. Compared to other consoles though it's a drop in the bucket.

#22 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3509 posts) -

I wonder if we're just on the cusp of seeing a slew of these so-called Half-Hearted Consoles.

#23 Posted by daggon55 (114 posts) -

It all boils down to quality of content.

If people make games for this thing that are good, then it has a chance. If its Angry Birds clones and a bunch of emulators that people don't pay for, probably not so much (see GP32).

#24 Posted by Bojangle (84 posts) -

Not really fair to compare it's sales to those of the main three though, is it? It's something completely different.

#25 Posted by Peanut (955 posts) -

Uh...piracy? How does anyone expect to make a fucking dime on this thing?

#26 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

This is like funding the phantom. Can't wait to play angry birds and cut the rope. Who is going to devolve for this

#27 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

So far they are showcasing flash and iPhone games

#28 Posted by Bojangle (84 posts) -

I'd assume it'll be iOS style cheap/free entry and then optional microtransactions, but I could be way off there!

#29 Posted by skyline7284 (508 posts) -

@Bojangle said:

Not really fair to compare it's sales to those of the main three though, is it? It's something completely different.

Well I think if it's not going to compete with the big consoles then it has a problem. Why would anyone develop for a box that's only in 5,000 homes? (Which the initial batch tops out at like 7,000 boxes). Where's the incentive to develop for this console when there's a lot more exposure and money on other consoles?

#30 Posted by Bojangle (84 posts) -

Because developers can actually get their stuff out on this? None of the main three are particularly easy for indie developers to get their work published on and this completely changes that, taking us back to the days when bedroom coders were kings of the industry.

I'm not saying it's going to be some huge run away success, but I think it has potential to shake up the industry a little.

#31 Edited by SikNastiWitIt (23 posts) -

@BigDaddy81 said:

As someone who primarily plays on a console, this idea interests me greatly. I really think something like this is needed to shake up the console industry, as I think the path they are on now leads to a dead end. Whether this Ouya will be the catalyst to do it remains to be seen, but I chipped in $99 in hopes that it does succeed.

I agree, I really hope this makes an impact. Clearly people are interested seeing how its getting funded so rapidly.

Also, since it's completely open and running Android, I don't see why Onlive or something like it can't run on this (there is already an Android version of Onlive).

#32 Posted by Levius (1231 posts) -

I may be missing the point but what is the advantage over just buying a 360 controller and a HDMI cable for a PC, where smaller developers can get out games equally as cheap to a larger audience?

#33 Posted by daggon55 (114 posts) -

@Bojangle said:

taking us back to the days when bedroom coders were kings of the industry.

Sorry, but when was this exactly? I started gaming on an NES and a PC and even back then the games I got came in boxes from stores and were created by people in offices, smaller offices probably, but they most certainly weren't hobbyists.

Not trying to harsh on your parade here, but I don't think that was ever true.

#34 Posted by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -

Why are people giving this shit money?

#35 Posted by SikNastiWitIt (23 posts) -

@AmatureIdiot said:

I may be missing the point but what is the advantage over just buying a 360 controller and a HDMI cable for a PC, where smaller developers can get out games equally as cheap to a larger audience?

That something that most people won't do (either because the don't know how, or because its not very convenient). Also, this is much cheaper than buying a computer.

#36 Posted by FakeKisser (366 posts) -

Obviously, this "console" isn't going to be very powerful. Therefore, it's going to basically just have a bunch of PC indie games and smartphone games. Since I already have a PC hooked up to my TV, I don't need this for PC indie games. And since I already have an Android phone and iPad, I don't need (or really want) those games on my TV. So, this console could be nice for some people, but I really don't see the appeal, at this point. If it was powerful enough to get "Core" games, it would be a different story...but a much, much bigger gamble...

#37 Posted by skyline7284 (508 posts) -

@Bojangle said:

Because developers can actually get their stuff out on this? None of the main three are particularly easy for indie developers to get their work published on and this completely changes that, taking us back to the days when bedroom coders were kings of the industry.

I'm not saying it's going to be some huge run away success, but I think it has potential to shake up the industry a little.

Steam is a great platform for Indie Dev's, and to be honest I think XBLA has gotten easier for indie devs the older it's gotten. Certification exists so that the game can be made as bug free as possible. If an indie Dev puts out a broken game on this new console and it gets 3,000 downloads, and maybe 1,500 purchases, what is their incentive to actually go back and fix the game? Certification may be a pain in the ass, but atleast (Most) games come out fairly bug free...

#38 Posted by skyline7284 (508 posts) -

@mnzy said:

I feel like they're promoting it wrong. As a huge fan of indie games, I wouldn't want this thing. It's an extra box in front of my TV, for a small market of games that I can play on my other devices. They should promote it as a cheap Smart TV solution with tons of possibilities for apps and interaction, but also great games that don't cos $60.

I agree with you on this. However then you have to differentiate it from a ROKU, or a Boxee Box, or an Apple TV. Saying it has games doesn't necessarily differentiate it from an Apple TV which can just Airplay games from an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.

#39 Posted by pekarn (86 posts) -

I personally have zero interest in buying this thing and I'm very skeptical about the success of it. Though more competition in the market can only be a good thing for the consumer so if they think they can make it work, go for it!

#40 Posted by Nonapod (126 posts) -

@daggon55 said:

@Bojangle said:

taking us back to the days when bedroom coders were kings of the industry.

Sorry, but when was this exactly? I started gaming on an NES and a PC and even back then the games I got came in boxes from stores and were created by people in offices, smaller offices probably, but they most certainly weren't hobbyists.

Not trying to harsh on your parade here, but I don't think that was ever true.

Well, to be fair, a lot of the old PC game companies back in the early 80s started off basically as "hobbyists" with very small teams and little formal funding.

#41 Posted by Bojangle (84 posts) -

@daggon55: Before the days of the NES. Go back further. :p

#42 Posted by JTB123 (1044 posts) -

Definitely an interesting idea, really like the look of that controller too. I think their comments about consoles being closed off it true though, maybe somewhere down the road (if this takes off) the B-tier games might find a home on it.

#43 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I don't really get it. "some of the gameplay has to be free" is a pretty major restriction to put on game developers. How do you make Alan Wake F2P?

If their big selling point is that the console places less restrictions on developers, then they've mucked it up right there.

#44 Posted by SikNastiWitIt (23 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

I don't really get it. "some of the gameplay has to be free" is a pretty major restriction to put on game developers. How do you make Alan Wake F2P?

If their big selling point is that the console places less restrictions on developers, then they've mucked it up right there.

To be fair the "free" part can just be a demo.

#45 Posted by Bojangle (84 posts) -

@nintendoeats: Chapter 1 free. Enjoyed what you played? Pay and get more!

#46 Posted by big_jon (5789 posts) -

An new?

#47 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@SikNastiWitIt: @Bojangle:Ah, I missed that the first time around. In that case, Microsoft has the same policy so it's not much of a selling point.

As for the rest of it, if they can push out a cheap console that works as well as the competing products I'm all for it.

#48 Posted by Itwastuesday (986 posts) -

@Animasta said:

I can't wait to play angry birds on it

#49 Posted by theveej (854 posts) -

they lost me at android. Although all of this is completely useless to a person like me (have 360, and a kick ass laptop), I can see a steam box being pretty rad .............

#50 Posted by Gaff (1891 posts) -

Well, people bought the Wii in droves, so I guess anything goes.

But at $99, this has some potential. Not just as a game console, but with the right apps a media center as well. This could replace the Rokus / Boxees / dust gathering Wiis sitting under a TV. On the other hand, many platform holders make great hardware, but absolutely screw the pooch when it comes to the backend: infrastructure, OS, UI, marketplace (yes, I'm looking at you, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Google).

And I'm really curious how the tweaker community is going to "manhandle" the hardware.