If it is truly open, I'm down with it.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By Nadafinga

The joy of having an app store on my TV.

Yay?

siknastiwitit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By siknastiwitit

@BBAlpert said:

Isn't that kind of what the Nexus Q is?

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_q

Nexus Q doesn't have a controller, or at least one that comes out of the box. An android phone is a poor replacement for an actually controller. Also, Nexus Q is $300...

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By CaLe

Wow this thing is getting a lot of money really fast.. I didn't expect that. Launching a hardware platform usually requires much more than 1 MILLION DOLLARS. If I'm not mistaken.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Nekroskop

Terrible idea. I can already play android games on my tv using hdmi and a blutooth controller(if i were crazy enough to do so) not to mention that the Google Play appstore is completely barren.

Why would you ever play phonegames on your tv?

950k is not enough anyway. This project is doomed to fail.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By stinky

dumb.

android will get their own version of airplay and there will be no need for this.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By falserelic

Its the gift that keeps on giving.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BraveToaster

I always laugh at promises of revolution and change to the gaming industry. Everyone says that now.

Nonapod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nonapod

It's certainly a noble idea. I'm fairly certain this isn't the first time an open source game console has been attempted. I have to wonder how they'd deal with piracy being so hacker friendly and all. I gotta believe the major developers won't be interested in producing games for a system that was too pirate friendly.

The hardware specs are a bit underwhelming. While the Tegra 3 is hot stuff in the smart device world, it's not quite at the level of a 360 or PS3 due to various constraints like memory bandwidth.

siknastiwitit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By siknastiwitit

According the developers, this will have games specifically developed for it using the controller. I can see it being a flop simply because the games aren't there.

Also, *cough*emulators*cough*

betterboulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By betterboulder

I'll toss in 10 bucks. At the very least it will be an interesting experiment to watch pan out.

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By skyline7284

Am I the only person who thinks the controller looks like absolute garbage? It looks like it's made of cheap plastic. Also the circle button is weirdly tilted. This thing just smells like a scam to me.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By ajamafalous

That's actually super interesting, and they've made $50k since I opened the page 10 minutes ago. Looks like this'll easily get funded, so I'm anxious to see how it pans out. Might even pick one up if it does well enough.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Wow, this is making money extremely fast. They are going to get way more than 1 million dollars.

Bojangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Bojangle

This is incredibly interesting, and the rate at which they're getting funding just goes to show there's a massive demand for something like this. Interesting times!

bigdaddy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bigdaddy81

As someone who primarily plays on a console, this idea interests me greatly. I really think something like this is needed to shake up the console industry, as I think the path they are on now leads to a dead end. Whether this Ouya will be the catalyst to do it remains to be seen, but I chipped in $99 in hopes that it does succeed.

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By skyline7284

@Bojangle said:

This is incredibly interesting, and the rate at which they're getting funding just goes to show there's a massive demand for something like this. Interesting times!

I would argue that "Massive" is a relative term. As of this writing they've sold about 5,000 boxes. For a kickstarter it's a lot, sure. Compared to other consoles though it's a drop in the bucket.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I wonder if we're just on the cusp of seeing a slew of these so-called Half-Hearted Consoles.

daggon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By daggon55

It all boils down to quality of content.

If people make games for this thing that are good, then it has a chance. If its Angry Birds clones and a bunch of emulators that people don't pay for, probably not so much (see GP32).

Bojangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bojangle

Not really fair to compare it's sales to those of the main three though, is it? It's something completely different.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By Peanut

Uh...piracy? How does anyone expect to make a fucking dime on this thing?

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SlightConfuse

This is like funding the phantom. Can't wait to play angry birds and cut the rope. Who is going to devolve for this

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SlightConfuse

So far they are showcasing flash and iPhone games

Bojangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bojangle

I'd assume it'll be iOS style cheap/free entry and then optional microtransactions, but I could be way off there!

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By skyline7284

@Bojangle said:

Not really fair to compare it's sales to those of the main three though, is it? It's something completely different.

Well I think if it's not going to compete with the big consoles then it has a problem. Why would anyone develop for a box that's only in 5,000 homes? (Which the initial batch tops out at like 7,000 boxes). Where's the incentive to develop for this console when there's a lot more exposure and money on other consoles?

Bojangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bojangle

Because developers can actually get their stuff out on this? None of the main three are particularly easy for indie developers to get their work published on and this completely changes that, taking us back to the days when bedroom coders were kings of the industry.

I'm not saying it's going to be some huge run away success, but I think it has potential to shake up the industry a little.

siknastiwitit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By siknastiwitit

@BigDaddy81 said:

As someone who primarily plays on a console, this idea interests me greatly. I really think something like this is needed to shake up the console industry, as I think the path they are on now leads to a dead end. Whether this Ouya will be the catalyst to do it remains to be seen, but I chipped in $99 in hopes that it does succeed.

I agree, I really hope this makes an impact. Clearly people are interested seeing how its getting funded so rapidly.

Also, since it's completely open and running Android, I don't see why Onlive or something like it can't run on this (there is already an Android version of Onlive).

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Levius

I may be missing the point but what is the advantage over just buying a 360 controller and a HDMI cable for a PC, where smaller developers can get out games equally as cheap to a larger audience?

daggon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By daggon55

@Bojangle said:

taking us back to the days when bedroom coders were kings of the industry.

Sorry, but when was this exactly? I started gaming on an NES and a PC and even back then the games I got came in boxes from stores and were created by people in offices, smaller offices probably, but they most certainly weren't hobbyists.

Not trying to harsh on your parade here, but I don't think that was ever true.

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#34  Edited By DjCmeP

Why are people giving this shit money?

siknastiwitit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By siknastiwitit

@AmatureIdiot said:

I may be missing the point but what is the advantage over just buying a 360 controller and a HDMI cable for a PC, where smaller developers can get out games equally as cheap to a larger audience?

That something that most people won't do (either because the don't know how, or because its not very convenient). Also, this is much cheaper than buying a computer.

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#36  Edited By FakeKisser

Obviously, this "console" isn't going to be very powerful. Therefore, it's going to basically just have a bunch of PC indie games and smartphone games. Since I already have a PC hooked up to my TV, I don't need this for PC indie games. And since I already have an Android phone and iPad, I don't need (or really want) those games on my TV. So, this console could be nice for some people, but I really don't see the appeal, at this point. If it was powerful enough to get "Core" games, it would be a different story...but a much, much bigger gamble...

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By skyline7284

@Bojangle said:

Because developers can actually get their stuff out on this? None of the main three are particularly easy for indie developers to get their work published on and this completely changes that, taking us back to the days when bedroom coders were kings of the industry.

I'm not saying it's going to be some huge run away success, but I think it has potential to shake up the industry a little.

Steam is a great platform for Indie Dev's, and to be honest I think XBLA has gotten easier for indie devs the older it's gotten. Certification exists so that the game can be made as bug free as possible. If an indie Dev puts out a broken game on this new console and it gets 3,000 downloads, and maybe 1,500 purchases, what is their incentive to actually go back and fix the game? Certification may be a pain in the ass, but atleast (Most) games come out fairly bug free...

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By skyline7284

@mnzy said:

I feel like they're promoting it wrong. As a huge fan of indie games, I wouldn't want this thing. It's an extra box in front of my TV, for a small market of games that I can play on my other devices. They should promote it as a cheap Smart TV solution with tons of possibilities for apps and interaction, but also great games that don't cos $60.

I agree with you on this. However then you have to differentiate it from a ROKU, or a Boxee Box, or an Apple TV. Saying it has games doesn't necessarily differentiate it from an Apple TV which can just Airplay games from an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.

pekarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By pekarn

I personally have zero interest in buying this thing and I'm very skeptical about the success of it. Though more competition in the market can only be a good thing for the consumer so if they think they can make it work, go for it!

Nonapod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Nonapod

@daggon55 said:

@Bojangle said:

taking us back to the days when bedroom coders were kings of the industry.

Sorry, but when was this exactly? I started gaming on an NES and a PC and even back then the games I got came in boxes from stores and were created by people in offices, smaller offices probably, but they most certainly weren't hobbyists.

Not trying to harsh on your parade here, but I don't think that was ever true.

Well, to be fair, a lot of the old PC game companies back in the early 80s started off basically as "hobbyists" with very small teams and little formal funding.

Bojangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Bojangle

@daggon55: Before the days of the NES. Go back further. :p

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By JTB123

Definitely an interesting idea, really like the look of that controller too. I think their comments about consoles being closed off it true though, maybe somewhere down the road (if this takes off) the B-tier games might find a home on it.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By nintendoeats

I don't really get it. "some of the gameplay has to be free" is a pretty major restriction to put on game developers. How do you make Alan Wake F2P?

If their big selling point is that the console places less restrictions on developers, then they've mucked it up right there.

siknastiwitit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By siknastiwitit

@nintendoeats said:

I don't really get it. "some of the gameplay has to be free" is a pretty major restriction to put on game developers. How do you make Alan Wake F2P?

If their big selling point is that the console places less restrictions on developers, then they've mucked it up right there.

To be fair the "free" part can just be a demo.

Bojangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bojangle

@nintendoeats: Chapter 1 free. Enjoyed what you played? Pay and get more!

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#46  Edited By big_jon

An new?

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By nintendoeats

@SikNastiWitIt: @Bojangle:Ah, I missed that the first time around. In that case, Microsoft has the same policy so it's not much of a selling point.

As for the rest of it, if they can push out a cheap console that works as well as the competing products I'm all for it.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Itwastuesday

@Animasta said:

I can't wait to play angry birds on it

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By theveej

they lost me at android. Although all of this is completely useless to a person like me (have 360, and a kick ass laptop), I can see a steam box being pretty rad .............

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Gaff

Well, people bought the Wii in droves, so I guess anything goes.

But at $99, this has some potential. Not just as a game console, but with the right apps a media center as well. This could replace the Rokus / Boxees / dust gathering Wiis sitting under a TV. On the other hand, many platform holders make great hardware, but absolutely screw the pooch when it comes to the backend: infrastructure, OS, UI, marketplace (yes, I'm looking at you, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Google).

And I'm really curious how the tweaker community is going to "manhandle" the hardware.