• 83 results
#1 Posted by BigDaddy81 (330 posts) -

#2 Posted by BigDaddy81 (330 posts) -

With the OUYA proving to be a fairly popular topic for discussion, I thought I would try see how many of the Giant Bomb community are personally invested in the project. I myself am a $99 backer.

#3 Posted by bemusedchunk (711 posts) -

I guess I'll open this thing up to some discussion.

I guess I just don't understand the reasoning behind the device.

There are already a multitude of Android based phones and tablets out there that can either hook up to a tv, utilize a controller, or both. It just seems like it's another "single-use" gadget. Now, I've got many single-use gadgets, but my other toys can't perform what they can. I just don't see the reasoning as to why this thing exists if there are other devices out there that do the same thing.

Aside from that, there's the whole Android fragmentation debacle that I don't even want to get into, but I know will ultimately happen...

#4 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2778 posts) -

OUNO

Android games don't do it for me as a console experience.

#5 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

i get the feeling you would of been wiser wiping your ass with that $99.

i hope im wrong and its a triumph... but i really doubt it.

#6 Posted by cmblasko (1322 posts) -

No, but if I see an actual working prototype and get more concrete details on it then I will reconsider. I love the idea and am hoping for its success; at $99 it would be worth it to me even if it is ultimately only reliable as a XBMC box.

#7 Edited by Rodent (263 posts) -

No. I'm not interested in the device what so ever. Though I don't know all there is to know about it, I don't have much interest in buying yet another device that can only play a limited number of games from a limited number of devs/pubs.

I'll keep my eye out on info on the product just so I can learn more about it, but right now no, no thank you.

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot that the Ouya was gonna stream games...that pretty much drives the final nail in it's coffin for me. I have zero interest in streaming my games.

#8 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Nope. I don't back kickstarters.

#9 Posted by MikkaQ (10336 posts) -

I have a feeling OUYA won't quite pan out. And if it does, I can always buy one later.

#10 Posted by JoeyRavn (5007 posts) -

No, but I'm not against it either... as long as the community hacks it, if there's anything to hack.

#11 Posted by Fattony12000 (7596 posts) -

Narp.

#12 Posted by Rodent (263 posts) -

@zyn said:

Nope. I don't back kickstarters.

This.

I see the point of the kickstarter but personally I would never back one myself. I look at it this way: Why would I wanna give someone else my hard earned money for something that may fall flat on it's face? If a particular game or something doesn't get made because the kickstarter failed because not enough people backed it (again I'll let others use their money to fund it) I'll just wait for the next thing that's bound to be just over the next hill.

#13 Posted by SomeJerk (3364 posts) -

The day it appeared, after I had read their pages and done a little googling about the people, I knew that my answer to this future thread would be a resounding no.

Check self pre-selfwrecking.

#14 Posted by BeachThunder (12305 posts) -

Nope. Firstly, I'm uncomfortable with throwing my money as something that seems incredibly uncertain; Secondly, the page greeted me with phrases like "We love console games" and "WE <3 GAMES ON A TV" - clearly indicating that I am not a part of the target market...

#15 Edited by BigDaddy81 (330 posts) -

Feeling kinda lonely here.

This is actually the only Kickstarter I have ever contributed to. I am excited for it, but I'm also well aware of the risk. I know that it is a distinct possibility that I'll never see anything from that investment or that the project will be a spectacular failure. As many people have pointed out in other threads, there have been numerous failures of other consoles trying to break into the market: Gizmondo, Phantom, N-Gage, etc. But for the first time in a long time, I am genuinely excited about a new console. I'll probably wind up getting the new Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo systems eventually, but if feels more like an obligation or a habit I just can't break rather than from any sense of excitement for a new generation.

I readily admit that I'm an idiot when comes to a lot of things so I can't really speculate on how the OUYA will overcome its many obstacles and compete against the Big 3. I'll leave that to better minds. I'll just say that I'm not happy with the direction that consoles are heading and I feel that OUYA is the breath of fresh air that is needed to shake things up.

#16 Edited by redefaulted (2802 posts) -

@Rodent: It's not going to stream games - it will support OnLive on the system which streams the games. I see nothing wrong with broadening a systems horizons.

I am a backer and I'm done arguing why I did so. It happened and people need to come to that reality. Too many want to be that guy "inb4 failure" so they can have the 15 second spot light of saying "I told you so" if that happens.

#17 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1662 posts) -

@bemusedchunk said:

I guess I'll open this thing up to some discussion.

I guess I just don't understand the reasoning behind the device.

There are already a multitude of Android based phones and tablets out there that can either hook up to a tv, utilize a controller, or both. It just seems like it's another "single-use" gadget. Now, I've got many single-use gadgets, but my other toys can't perform what they can. I just don't see the reasoning as to why this thing exists if there are other devices out there that do the same thing.

Aside from that, there's the whole Android fragmentation debacle that I don't even want to get into, but I know will ultimately happen...

I'm very sceptical about the Ouya, but I don't think these are very good reasons to be. The vast majority of people aren't going to hook up their tablet to their TV, or even know it's a possibility. And even if they did, there's a big difference between a few titles kinda-sorta supporting a third-party controller accessory and a console on which every game is controlled exclusively with the a stock controller.

As for fragmentation, unless you're a developer, why do you care? Game developers deal with fragmentation all the time -- making games work with XP and DX9 (and a multitiude of different PC configurations); making games work on older iOS versions and iOS devices with totally different graphics capabilities (especially the iPad 1, iPhone 3G, and older iPod touches); designing games to work across multiple platforms with wildly different architectures, etc. Hell, there was a long time when nearly every phone "app" was built with J2ME and individual devices essentially needed ports. When people talk about Android fragmentation, they act as if it's exclusive to Android and not a problem that almost every software developer deals with on a daily basis. As a web developer, Android sounds comparatively pleasant in many ways.

There are issues with Android's lack of guaranteed updates, but it's nowhere near as bad as some make it out to be. You also need to remember that most people see their phones as appliances and not computers -- releasing an update that upends the table interface-wise would lead would likely lead to a lot of unhappy customers (and, to be fair, some happy geeks, of which I am one). As the Android interface (and back-end) stabilizes and the hardware evolution slows down, I suspect this problem will lessen -- I'm not an Android developer, but my understanding is that the jump from 2.3 to 4.0 was quite large, and in theory a one-time thing.

#18 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Hahaha, nooo. I have zero confidence in Ouya even releasing.

#19 Posted by cmblasko (1322 posts) -
#20 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

hand helds are being destroyed by smartphone games.

so what do they do? they make a handheld that plays smartphone games?

makes no god damn sense!

#21 Posted by Rodent (263 posts) -

@ck1nd said:

It's not going to stream games - it will support OnLive on the system which streams the games. I see nothing wrong with broadening a systems horizons.

Isn`t that basically the same thing here. I realize it`ll use Onlive just like Sony may use Gaikai on it`s future systems, but basically it`ll stream games just like the 360 and others offer Netflix to stream movies. Go ahead and broaden a systems horizons, just don`t expect me to get excited about some app or feature that I have no interest in whatsoever.

#22 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

Nope. Playing phone games on a TV sounds like a terrible idea (especially as most of the good ones are available elsewhere anyway), and I can already run all the emulators I want on my PC as it is. Honestly I doubt that thing will even come out, let alone make a dent in any existing market.

#23 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

When that kickstarter is over, we are never hearing from any of those people ever again.

#24 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

@Clonedzero said:

makes no god damn sense!

It's not a handheld, it's a home console.

Bet you think it makes waaaaaay more sense now, huh?

#25 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

@Elazul said:

@Clonedzero said:

makes no god damn sense!

It's not a handheld, it's a home console.

Bet you think it makes waaaaaay more sense now, huh?

oh god really? yeah thats what i wanna do, play smartphone games stretched out on my tv...

IM NOW A SUPPORTER!

#26 Edited by redefaulted (2802 posts) -

@Rodent said:

@ck1nd said:

It's not going to stream games - it will support OnLive on the system which streams the games. I see nothing wrong with broadening a systems horizons.

Isn`t that basically the same thing here. I realize it`ll use Onlive just like Sony may use Gaikai on it`s future systems, but basically it`ll stream games just like the 360 and others offer Netflix to stream movies. Go ahead and broaden a systems horizons, just don`t expect me to get excited about some app or feature that I have no interest in whatsoever.

I wasn't asking you to get excited about it. You just sounded misinformed about the product and I wanted to clear it up. It is obvious now that it was just your wording and my input wasn't needed - sorry about that.

#27 Posted by Nentisys (897 posts) -

I just don't understand the need for this. All mobile games are fucking shit.

#28 Posted by Rodent (263 posts) -

@ck1nd said:

@Rodent said:

@ck1nd said:

I wasn't asking you to get excited about it. You just sounded misinformed about the product and I wanted to clear it up. It is obvious now that it was just your wording and my input wasn't needed - sorry about that.

No worries man.

And I should clear up that when I said " Go ahead and broaden a systems horizons, just don`t expect me to get excited about some app or feature that I have no interest in whatsoever." I wasn't directing it at you specifically. I meant it more towards the devs of the system. If someone backing the device, like you, gets excited about that feature then that's awesome for you and makes your backing make all the more sense. But for someone like me hearing that OnLive will be a feature has no impact on my lack of excitement for the system.

#29 Posted by LikeaSsur (1583 posts) -

@Nentisys said:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

#30 Posted by Dick_Mohawk (384 posts) -

Nope, I'm poor.

#31 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2699 posts) -

I am, because it's $100, so who gives a shit?

If it fails, oh well. If it's awesome, cool. $100 isn't going to make a difference in my life either way.

And those of you hating on Kickstarter, get over it. It's a perfectly relevant way to get funding for projects that otherwise wouldn't have any. There have already been a ton of awesome products that wouldn't exist without Kickstarter (Cards Against Humanity, anyone?).

#32 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

You making a post-apocalyptic or werewolf themed game? You got my money...or you will have it at least. Console? Nah.

#33 Posted by peritus (1061 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai: If you didn't give a shit you wouldn't have spent that money.

Most people dont wipe their ass with 100$ bills. But maybe you do, after all you dont give a shit.

#34 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2699 posts) -

@peritus said:

Most people dont wipe their ass with 100$ bills. But maybe you do, after all you dont give a shit.

I spend well over $100 on things I don't give a shit about every week. The console is a cool concept and it costs less than I pay for my phone bill. Again, who gives a shit?

#35 Posted by mikey87144 (1811 posts) -

I don't understand the rational in putting money toward this. If all goes well, which it won't, won't this be a "console" that plays smartphone games?

#36 Posted by 49th (2820 posts) -

I don't see the point of it. I'm going to play indie games on my PC and I'll play android games on my phone.

#37 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

Well you do it may seem.

#38 Posted by peritus (1061 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai: I believe you're missing the point.

#39 Posted by NegativeCero (3026 posts) -

Nope, I have no confidence that it will turn out well. Especially after reading that Penny Arcade Report article.

#40 Posted by HarlechQuinn (451 posts) -

I pledged as I really like the concept of an open console... And if it turns out that I've drained $100 down the toilet in the end... Oh well, I've wasted more money on even more useless stuff in my life and I guess this won't be the last time where I wasted money...

And no I am not rich, I just have a solid income and not that much expenses...

#41 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

When(if) they can prove this idea any good, they might get my dollars but for now I'll stay away and see how it goes. That being said, I've never supported any Kickstarter project.

#42 Posted by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

I'm not a backer- but I am definitely interested in seeing how it'll all work out. :P

It would be a very nice thing for the industry if the Ouya were to be successful- but this leads into the problem I see that's responsible for so much of the hostility/confusion towards it.

The problem is in how the Ouya has presented itself. It's doing a good job stating how it'll benefit the industry... But only from a BUSINESS AND INDIE DEVELOPMENT perspective- with how its open nature would allow Indies to avoid the ridiculous authorization processes of Microsoft, Steam, Sony, etc.

From a consumer perspective though? The perspective that matters to most of us? The Ouya doesn't have much to immediately present- except emulators, for those who are interested in them.

Consumers don't have the business perspective- most don't think or care about how the Ouya would make things easier for Indies. All they see is what the Ouya will initially offer- android phone games on a TV.

@mikey87144 said:

I don't understand the rational in putting money toward this. If all goes well, which it won't, won't this be a "console" that plays smartphone games?

@Nentisys said:

^Quotes like these seem to be the norm from the consumer perspective on the Ouya. :P

If the Ouya is successful and its potential for Indie Development is allowed to sprout- it will be able to go MUCH FARTHER than mere smartphone games...

But that'll only happen if it's successful past launch. So right now, its understandable how the Ouya's initial presentation and offerings are confusing most people. :(

#43 Posted by ajamafalous (12129 posts) -

If I had the money to I totally would. If it's successful, cool, if not, whatever, you still own a cool little piece of gaming history. I still have my game.com in my parents' closet an dit's both cool and weird to bust that out every couple years. $100 is nothing. 

I still don't understand those wishing death on this thing, though. If you didn't pledge and you have no money riding on it, why do you care? If it's successful maybe you'll buy one (or maybe you're just staunchly opposed to its ideas, in which case, why do you even care in the first place?), and if it's not, you didn't invest, so it's no skin off your back. I just really don't understand the constant hate generated toward this thing that isn't even out yet.

#44 Posted by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

Nope. I think it's a kinda neat idea, a $100 media streaming box that can also play games sounds OK, but I don't need it. I also don't have any faith that this will actually come out, so there's no way in hell I'm giving them any money until I see the reviews.

#45 Posted by mikey87144 (1811 posts) -

@WarlockEngineerMoreDakka said:

The problem is in how the Ouya has presented itself. It's doing a good job stating how it'll benefit the industry... But only from a BUSINESS AND INDIE DEVELOPMENT perspective- with how its open nature would allow Indies to avoid the ridiculous authorization processes of Microsoft, Steam, Sony, etc.

Can I ask a question about the authorization process? How many good games have been turned down because of that process on Steam? I can only think of two, Minecraft and Trackmania/Shootmania. From a consumer standpoint I'm not sure how that hurts us since that process weeds out a large portion of the bad games.

#46 Edited by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -

@BigDaddy81 said:

Feeling kinda lonely here.

This is actually the only Kickstarter I have ever contributed to. I am excited for it, but I'm also well aware of the risk. I know that it is a distinct possibility that I'll never see anything from that investment or that the project will be a spectacular failure. As many people have pointed out in other threads, there have been numerous failures of other consoles trying to break into the market: Gizmondo, Phantom, N-Gage, etc. But for the first time in a long time, I am genuinely excited about a new console. I'll probably wind up getting the new Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo systems eventually, but if feels more like an obligation or a habit I just can't break rather than from any sense of excitement for a new generation.

I readily admit that I'm an idiot when comes to a lot of things so I can't really speculate on how the OUYA will overcome its many obstacles and compete against the Big 3. I'll leave that to better minds. I'll just say that I'm not happy with the direction that consoles are heading and I feel that OUYA is the breath of fresh air that is needed to shake things up.

So, like, are you actually expecting it to be a console or something that could compete with whatever Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo do next, or are you going in fully understanding that this is essentially going to be the next Pandora or GP2X? Because I can understand the latter even if I think it's kind of useless and has no place in my life; if the former, I think you might be out of your mind.

#47 Posted by BeachThunder (12305 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@peritus said:

I spend well over $100 on things I don't give a shit about every week. The console is a cool concept and it costs less than I pay for my phone bill. Again, who gives a shit?

Um, can I have $100?

#48 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

Nope. I don't back kickstarters because most of the people asking for money are either full of shit or use sob stories instead of showing a sample of the product.

#49 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

It seems interesting and Im all for supporting open platforms, but Im not going to put money on it until a month or two after it is released cause Im not too sure about it.

#50 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

Nope. Not because I'm against it or anything, but, uh, mostly because I don't really care? It'll be cool if anything interesting comes of it though.