Posted by YukoAsho (2078 posts) -

Well, I'd been meaning on getting an OUYA for a while, and with my PS4 paid for, I pulled the trigger. I figure it'd be nice to have a multimedia box so I don't have to have my PC on at all hours, and having the occasional emulator and the Twitch app would be a nice compliment to my Blu-Ray player.

Looking back, I kind of wish I hadn't bought the stupid thing.

Setting up the console is pretty easy, actually. Well, other than trying to figure out where to put the AA batteries in the controller because the stupid thing has no real instruction manual. Seriously, all that you get is four steps to setting the stupid thing up that don't mention how you put the batteries in, and disclaimers. That's all, in a bunch of languages. Would a real user guide have been too much to ask.

That is, unfortunately, the best part of the system.

Upon setup, you're required - required! - to enter credit card data or a prepaid card's number. I didn't expect that, and I wasn't happy to be basically forced to put in my debit card (which I've since canceled because no they can't have access to my account).

Once you enter, the main menu is simple enough, though many of the system's options are buried a few menus in. Speaking of, the "advanced" menu is basically just the Android 4.1 settings screen, with no real consideration for controller use. It works mostly, but it's inelegant compared to the main menu.

Then there's the store, which is really where things fall apart. Giant lettering, lots of scrolling necessary. It's like the very VERY first Zune player, only somehow even more annoying, if that was even possible. At least once you get to genres there's SOME organization, but overall, the thing is an oversized mess that ignores anyone using a TV larger than a fishbowl.

Oh, and apparently XBMC isn't on the store, at least as of this writing. What? XBMC was part of the friggin' store display! No Youtube either.

The next issue with this silly system is the controller. Now, the controller itself feels good enough. Doesn't feel as sturdy as a first-party controller for a major console, but doesn't exactly feel like some Nyko piece of crap either. It's fine for what it does, and pretty smartly designed. The problem is the input lag. Oh Lord almighty, the input lag! It's noticeable in the menus, but you most noticeably have to fight it during gameplay. Very, VERY annoying.

Lastly, there's the issue of ports. Now the system has ONE USB port, which wouldn't be so bad but for the fact that all my wired controllers are USB, as is the external hard drive I have plugged in. As such, only one device can be used at any one time on the port (I don't have any USB hubs - any other OUYA users want to tell me if they work?), and since the OUYA itself doesn't read the external hard drive (That has to be supported in app, apparently), I can't just load a few choice roms for use with a wired 360 controller. Oh, and since the system can't read external drives at OS level, you have to download any .apk files from the OUYA browser.

Overall, the OUYA is poor. Not a disappointment. Not missed potential. Just plain, old, objectively poor. I'm going to try the Nova launcher, see if that improves things, and if it does improve, I'll let everyone know, but for now, I have to say that this is the worst $106.99 (after taxes) I've ever spent.

#1 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1844 posts) -

Well cant say people didn't warn you.

#2 Edited by c_rakestraw (853 posts) -

Apparently placing the console on its side helps negate the controller lag. Which is dumb.

I never had much hopes for the system, but everything I've been hearing so far makes me wonder how the hell people fell for this thing.

#3 Posted by YukoAsho (2078 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid: Nope. No I can't. That'll count as a lesson learned.

@c_rakestraw: That seems arbitrary, but wth, might as well give it a shot.

#4 Posted by sp0rkeh (41 posts) -

For all its shortcomings, I think it's still cool that the Ouya actually happened. I'm hoping it inspires somebody to take the idea and execute it in a better way. If somebody could make a similar console with a slightly cheaper price point and without the major issues of the Ouya (like the controller feel and lag) I think they would have a solid product on their hands. I feel like there's definitely a market for a sub-$100 console that plays 2D and basic 3D games.

#5 Posted by TruthTellah (9306 posts) -

@yukoasho: Can you return it? Or sell it?

I appreciate that it exists, but yeah, all I've heard is that it's hot garbage. And that's surprising. Because even with bad devices and games, I usually at least hear some big defenders. But in this case, I've only consistently heard that the console is half-baked. Which is awful, as I have a friend with a game in development for it, and they were promised a working device with some kind of user base. It seems more and more like it won't live up to any of those hopes.

#6 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Apparently placing the console on its side helps negate the controller lag. Which is dumb.

I never had much hopes for the system, but everything I've been hearing so far makes me wonder how the hell people fell for this thing.

I think that terrifying looking woman must have mind controlled people in the Kickstarter video.

#8 Posted by falserelic (5461 posts) -

Well cant say people didn't warn you.

This...

The Ouya was destine to fail. It's a console that doesn't have anything going for it, and its always last.

Once S£GA tanked there ioere only three companies mak-in3 os consoles. ou УЛA/M /

#9 Posted by ManMadeGod (1572 posts) -

@yukoasho said:

It's like the very VERY first Zune player, only somehow even more annoying, if that was even possible.

O god. I had completely forgotten about the first iteration of that thing.

#10 Posted by YukoAsho (2078 posts) -

I appreciate that it exists, but yeah, all I've heard is that it's hot garbage. And that's surprising. Because even with bad devices and games, I usually at least hear some big defenders. But in this case, I've only consistently heard that the console is half-baked. Which is awful, as I have a friend with a game in development for it, and they were promised a working device with some kind of user base. It seems more and more like it won't live up to any of those hopes.

Well I got it at GameStop, so I doubt I'll get anything back for it...

And yeah, I appreciate the idea. Probably was partly blinded by said idea. But this is a hard lesson - good ideas don't lead to good product. I hope the system's issues are at least somewhat resolved before your friend gets his game out, or at least that he has a PC version in the works.

@sp0rkeh: There's definitely room in the market for something along those lines, but the system needs to do well. And it needs more than one USB port. I'd love to try a wired controller with the emulators, but I can't move files to the Ouya, so I'd not be able to use it. That is, of course, assuming it doesn't mess up the purported wired 360 controller compatibility.

#11 Posted by TruthTellah (9306 posts) -

@yukoasho said:

@truthtellah said:

Well I got it at GameStop, so I doubt I'll get anything back for it...

And yeah, I appreciate the idea. Probably was partly blinded by said idea. But this is a hard lesson - good ideas don't lead to good product. I hope the system's issues are at least somewhat resolved before your friend gets his game out, or at least that he has a PC version in the works.

Couldn't you explain that it's kind of broken? I mean, if the controller lag is so bad and the whole thing seems half-baked... maybe they'd accept it back. Or you could at least ask.

And yeah, fortunately my friend is working on a PC version as well(and hopefully a Vita version).

#12 Edited by RollingZeppelin (2023 posts) -

Glad I went with my intuition on this one. $100 for a console, no matter how simple the games are, just seems way too good to be true. Combine that with the fact that the company had no experience making consoles is what made me second guess getting this thing.

#13 Edited by jimmyfenix (3858 posts) -

its hundred bucks

#14 Posted by YukoAsho (2078 posts) -

I might give it a shot, but I doubt it. I imagine they'd be doing a lot more takebacks if they accepted things back on the grounds of people not liking them...

And that's cool. Maybe I'll check your buddy's game when it hits GOG. I've been known to buy crazy games.

Glad I went with my intuition on this one. $100 for a console, no matter how simple the games are, just seems way too good to be true. Combine that with the fact that the company had no experience making consoles is what made me second guess getting this thing.

Yeah, you did good there, that's for damn sure. I get the feeling there's not going to be another OUYA, but if they manage to luck out to get a new console out, I'm going to be a shit-ton more cautious in the future.

#15 Edited by Rowr (5798 posts) -

Hmm i'd be willing to listen to what you have to say on the ouya.

Unfortunately you sound like a complete ass, so i'm unsure of the reliability of your opinions.

#16 Posted by TruthTellah (9306 posts) -
#17 Edited by Doltz (45 posts) -

It's funny, I'm also part of the Build Your Own Arcade Controls community and they all love their Ouyas.

I mentioned that I had heard some bad things and some one cited an old IGN article and said "Well they like it".

The article was prelaunch and they have since cited its downfalls.

I just agreed because I realized that all anyone there was looking for was an emulation box, where as I was looking at it more for what it actually originally promised to be, which was a full on gaming console.

The idea of the ouya is awesome, but I tend to think they were either too stunned or too proud to dial it back or just admit that they may have been in over their heads.

If you are not looking for a full gaming console apparently it works, but for most of us here on giantbomb I'd say it is not really an option unless you are just in it to hack it.