Paid membership update: the basics and a video test

Avatar image for calculating_infinity
Calculating_Infinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Doubt I will get it for over 40$. I am willing to go 60$ if we can get hot erotic webcam sessions with Brad.

BrianJ_OK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#152  Edited By BrianJ_OK

I'm really stoked for this and would honestly subscribe just for 720p videos, but the rest is awesome. One idea I've always been interested in is video podcasts, I'm not sure how much it would add, but I've been spoiled by Leo Laporte's TWiT network being video based. Also speaking of that if we could get higher res live streams, man that would be awesome but I know that requires tons of money and investment and contracts with streaming companies.

Laksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By Laksa

No paypal. Keep the kids away.

Avatar image for calculating_infinity
Calculating_Infinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HAL9000 said:
" One idea I've always been interested in is video podcasts, "
YOU DO NOT WANT TO SEE THE SPIDER.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#155  Edited By citizenkane
@Supermarius said:
" So no one else is worried that the addition unannounced benefits of premium membership could include exclusive or early-access audio or video content?  I know the GB guys are smart, but they have businessmen they need to answer to who might have a desire to play hardball since, if you read the Whiskey Media main site, video content is apparently the biggest attraction. Ahh, maybe i'm just crazy. "
If you know Shelby and Mike for even a little bit, you'd know that they aren't your typical business big wigs.  Don't worry too much about that.
yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By yakov456

Give me a number! Pretty please.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#157  Edited By alternate
@Dylabaloo said:
" So each whiskey site will have a separate subscription? hrmmm.. if the price is reasonable i'm down wouldn't be willing to go over 30 Euros to be honest. Luchadeer on the T-Shirt would be sweet maybe crazy Halloween Luchadeer.  "

I read it as one sub covers all sites.

@MjHealy said:
" Would it be possible to sign up for a year and not have to pay for extra shipping on a shirt? I will happily play my yearly fee but that $10 extra for people outside the US seems to steep for myself. 
It will be more or less cost depending on where it is going.  If they lose $10 on every overseas yearly account and say $10 wholesale for the cost of the actual shirt - depending on their pay structure - they might well end up losing money.
ZombieGoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#158  Edited By ZombieGoast

I'm in no matter the features.  Anything to support you guys!

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#159  Edited By falconer

I like the idea of also making the t-shirts available to those willing to pony up for one. 

Said shirt is guaranteed to be awesome. End of story. I feel I would get more out of a 25ish dollar shirt than a 40+ dollar subscription to your website. Of course that was a wildly random number for the subscription, but I would be very surprised if it wasn't more than your average cool ass t-shirt. So, as a college student with limited monies, I want to support you guys. But, I can only do so by so much. If it's feasible for you guys, I think making a cool new t-shirt available to everyone would be coooool. Thanks. :)

wintermute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#160  Edited By wintermute
@alternate:  I agree with making the badge discreet and optional. I would display it with pride because that's the kind of guy I am, but I wouldn't think less of anyone who didn't pay (since after all they are supporting the site through advertising, unless they use ad-block). Honestly, I don't get what some people's objection to this is.
BrianJ_OK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By BrianJ_OK

Video content is definitely the biggest draw and anything they can do to improve it is going to be worthwhile for them, remember they have videos that are 45 minutes plus which is just unheard of for video sites, in this ADD world anything over ten minutes generally is ignored. But they're holding attention spans for their gaming videos that have the duration of feature length film.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I'm so ready for this. 

Also fuck yeah account linking. 

Now I can go on Screened and not feel retarded.

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#163  Edited By MjHealy
@alternate said:
" @Dylabaloo said:
" So each whiskey site will have a separate subscription? hrmmm.. if the price is reasonable i'm down wouldn't be willing to go over 30 Euros to be honest. Luchadeer on the T-Shirt would be sweet maybe crazy Halloween Luchadeer.  "

@MjHealy said:
" Would it be possible to sign up for a year and not have to pay for extra shipping on a shirt? I will happily play my yearly fee but that $10 extra for people outside the US seems to steep for myself. 
It will be more or less cost depending on where it is going.  If they lose $10 on every overseas yearly account and say $10 wholesale for the cost of the actual shirt - depending on their pay structure - they might well end up losing money. "
What I meant to say is that do we have the option not to get the shirt at all. They have to charge for shipping, that's expensive, but I think I can live without the shirt.
CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#164  Edited By CaptainScarLeg
@snide said:
" Just to be clear debit cards will work fine as well. Update the text.  Your username being saved works out of the gate with our new login system, so no worries there either. "
What about users who have different usernames on the different sites (such as yourself, having a different name over on comic vine) would both names then be reserved for the other sites so you can choose between them?
If you meant something else entirely I apologise.

PSP and DS videos in their native resolution would be nice, though I imagine doing that with DS video may be a little tricky. But I do like pixel-perfect video.

Are any other aspects of our profiles going to be tied together? Points for example? It would make it easier for those of us who have thousands of points on one site but have to go through moderation on the others (I myself have asked for my points to be bumped up on comic vine a few times but have had no reply). I can understand why post counts, reviews and so on would be kept separate, but I think it would be pretty cool to have our collective Whiskey Points shown on our profiles.
Perhaps combine the exp/levels across our accounts too?

Also, if you're still planning on letting people earn subscriber status without paying (by doing quests or whatever else) then I think the moderators should get the subscriber benefits as a thank you for helping the sites. Though being a moderator on two of the sites, that's obviously a bit of a biased opinion, but I stand by it as I think it's fair.

Oh yeah, give us a damn option to give Whiskey donations! Regardless of the subscriber stuff, I know I'd want to donate to know I'm helping my favourite website company out, I'm sure others would too. You guys shouldn't be ashamed to give your fans an optional way to show their support.
wintermute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By wintermute
@Calculating_Infinity said:

" Doubt I will get it for over 40$. I am willing to go 60$ if we can get hot erotic webcam sessions with Brad. "

I would pay $60 in order to NOT have erotic webcam sessions with Brad. (Brad, if you're reading this, please don't take this the wrong way. I don't want to hurt you because I like you and I can understand why so many find you attractive...but the truth is I'm straight. It's nobody's fault, it's just the way I was born. I hope you can understand.)
Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#166  Edited By Dylabaloo
@alternate said:
" @Dylabaloo said:

If thats true then I will buy this not matter what! Even if the bombcast spiders on my keyboard!
bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By bhhawks78
@ShaggyChu said:
" I like the idea of also making the t-shirts available to those willing to pony up for one.  Said shirt is guaranteed to be awesome. End of story. I feel I would get more out of a 25ish dollar shirt than a 40+ dollar subscription to your website. Of course that was a wildly random number for the subscription, but I would be very surprised if it wasn't more than your average cool ass t-shirt. So, as a college student with limited monies, I want to support you guys. But, I can only do so by so much. If it's feasible for you guys, I think making a cool new t-shirt available to everyone would be coooool. Thanks. :) "
Man I pay 20$ a year for XBL (only buy the year cards when they go on sale).

Double that would be pretty excessive....
alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By alternate

A few ideas.

1. Pricing.  I think $10 a month will be your limit.  Anything over this and it stops being something you can sign up for without having to think about it.

2. Merchandising.  If you are going back in to the t-shirt business I think you could make as much if not more from just selling t-shirts. key rings, mousemats and hell even hoodies.  Maybe a 10% discount forpaid members.  Licence it out and you don't have the hassle or the risk.

3. Affiliates.  Been said before but a lot of people buy games from amazon etc and sign up to netflix of the strength of reviews and features on your sites.  Might as well get a cut of this free money for the sake of a discrete clickable link.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#169  Edited By VisariLoyalist

so far honestly the feature set is looking sparce and as a world renowned free loader I wont be getting this even though I LOVE the stuff you guys do

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#170  Edited By Dalai

Nothing there really interests me on the subscription front. I assume there is going to be more goodies so you still can persuade me into it.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By alternate
@MjHealy said:
" @alternate said:

@MjHealy said:
It will be more or less cost depending on where it is going.  If they lose $10 on every overseas yearly account and say $10 wholesale for the cost of the actual shirt - depending on their pay structure - they might well end up losing money. "
What I meant to say is that do we have the option not to get the shirt at all. They have to charge for shipping, that's expensive, but I think I can live without the shirt. "
I am sure that would be an option.  Maybe even have $10 discount or a shirt on yearly accounts as an option.  Or I guess you could gift the free shirt to someone with a US address.  It would be great if everyone gifted their T-shirts to Bobby Kotick or something :D
Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@CitizenKane said:
" @Supermarius said:
" So no one else is worried that the addition unannounced benefits of premium membership could include exclusive or early-access audio or video content?  I know the GB guys are smart, but they have businessmen they need to answer to who might have a desire to play hardball since, if you read the Whiskey Media main site, video content is apparently the biggest attraction. Ahh, maybe i'm just crazy. "
If you know Shelby and Mike for even a little bit, you'd know that they aren't your typical business big wigs.  Don't worry too much about that. "
I'm actually also super worried about this, to be honest. I don't want to wait for the "regular version" of the video to be put up after premium users get to see it, nor do I want to pay to listen to the Bombcast.
fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By fjordson

Fuck, I would love a t-shirt. I told myself I wouldn't pay for this, but this doesn't sound bad at all. Really glad to hear you're against segregating the users with stuff like paid message boards.

I'm on board.

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By HypoXenophobia

I guess my idea would be allow paid members an extra set of functionality. Possibly, tiered discounts on any merchandise?
Yearly members get 15 percent
Monthly get 10 percent
Random hooligan, no percent.
If the discounts branched between Giant Bomb, Tested, Anime Vice, Comic Vine, Screened, it would be a bit of a decent incentive.

Equally, how about guaranteed beta access for subscribers, and first comes first serve for non subscribers. I remember when I came home from work to see all the Blur beta codes were gone, I was kinda distraught as watching the video had made me interested to try it out.

Or another idea being possibly, just exclusive contests for subscribers. I was thinking in a website like Comic Vine, if someone was really into comics that they subscribe, possible exclusive schwag seems like something they'd be really into.

A throw away idea was possibly allow a subscriber to choose the color scheme for his blog. It sticks out when someone goes to it, but it's not that invasive necessarily. The only problem lies is if he attaches it to the forum, things would go weird.

So, there's four ideas. I figured these are a balance of giving some benefits to subscribers but not necessarily screwing over unsubscribers. Thoughts?

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#175  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

This all sounds excellent.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By George_Hukas

I'm confused, is the new mobile site part of the subscription plan?

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By CowMuffins

I want a membership tag, like the moderators except not.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By NoXious

I don't do credit cards. Most credit cards have a monthly fee in Holland and I don't even need credit so it's a pointless... [and I loathe credit, living off of money that don't exist is what caused the bloody crisis to begin with!]
I have a Paypal account though so please consider supporting it. If it's too much work then you'll have to do without my support I'm afraid. Sorry!

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#179  Edited By Sin4profit

Woah, i was totally thinking the T-shirt idea for annual pay before i even got to the part about the t-shirt idea for annual pay...except i want it to be an exclusive design.

I want my t-shirt to read, "Giantbomb; I make it happen, I'm better then everyone, for $1 you may touch me"

3Sixty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By 3Sixty

Oh yeah right, the tee. 

It should be low key, keep the crazy shirts for people to buy but one going to people for the membership should be more subtle. 

Just like, the Giant Bomb on the front and the whole logo small on the sleeve or back.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#181  Edited By sjschmidt93

Sweet.

Will we get something telling everyone else we are subscribed?

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@alternate: 

Not really, only one guy I know has a CC around here, and a lot of EU's I spoke on games told me the same.
Rawr.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Scooper

Someone's probably posted this already but the wargames video is a bit glitchy and out of synch. The Portal one however is sharp and nice.

Nevermind, it seems to be running smooth once the whole thing buffered/downloaded.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Milkman

Very excited about this. I want a t-shirt!

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#185  Edited By RobotHamster

Send us some of Kesslers hair and I'm sold!

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Ravenousrattler

ok this puts me at ease. I was worrying that this might put the community at odds, but it sounds ok.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#187  Edited By Vinny_Says
@Supermarius: i'm with ya...we have yet to know what Jeff, Ryan, Vinny and Brad want to do with this and when dave says: "largely unchanged" that could mean a lot of things
bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By bacongames

@louiedog said:

" Would it be possible to get a button on our achievements page to refresh our accounts? It's not a big deal, and I'm assuming you'd still have to limit its use to once every few hours to prevent abuse, but it'd be handy. I've definitely finished playing a game, especially when I get an S-rank, and been bummed out when waiting anywhere between a few hours and many days to see how I've done compared to the rest of the community. "

@KuribosShoe said:

" as for suggestions I wouldn't mind an ignore button.  it would help me be less angry at fools. "

Suggestions I have outlined in bullets.

• The refresh feature would prioritize paying accounts' information.  Also what about comparing my achievement sessions to someone else besides the crew?  If that's already a feature my bad but it would be cool to see from my page what my friends are doing.  Non-paying can have the same-old page. 

• There are also some users that I can't stand what they have to say and it would great if I had options to ignore the threads they start, the blogs and reviews they made, ignore their posts and have the option to open it like a spoiler in the forum if I want to see what user it is and what they said. 

• Have an option for subscriber's platform choice color to be gold if they so choose.  Literally nothing obscuring or changing the current view but it DOES tell people if you pay or not.  However if people don't feel right about it, or get bugged or whatever, they can change it to whatever they had it before.

• GiantBomb has semi-occasional giveaways of codes and such and Screened + Tested have Free Fridays so why not have it so those are exclusive to paying members?

• For us non-twitter users, can I be able to edit my profile status message?  I can't stand having to copy and paste another message making the correction.  Also ability to delete status messages from my history would be good since they can't be commented on anyway.  Even make this an option for twitter users who would prefer certain things to not show up if they pay (not available to staff though.  I WANT TO KNOW EVERYTHING).

• Is it already a thing for users to suggest wiki tasks and quests?  That would be a cool paid feature requiring quality suggestions still being made though.

• Free piece of merchandise from the store for a year long subscription and discounts (marginal, not much) for all those who are registered subscribers.  That means yearly dudes get free merchandise and a discount while non-yearly subscribers only get a discount.

• A customizable front, profile and video page is a must.  If I don't want trailers to show up on the site (which I don't) I can turn it off.  Don't give a shit about comments?  I should minimize or remove that entirely if I so desire. Tie the exclusion to game associations so videos or news about that game never show up on the front and video page.  Being able to cut sections of my profile page because I don't give no damn sounds like something a subscription would make sense for.

How will ad-driven quests work for paying people?  The Best-Buy one we had would technically be excluded but is still a quest that adds to one's level.  Do paying members automatically win advertising quests?  That ad-driven topic can be ignored though, that would be okay.  It's also hard to suggest something that just isn't a way to improve the site like for example improvements to the wiki.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#189  Edited By Vinny_Says
@Darkstar614 said:
" I'd most definitely pay for a yearly subscription on the promise of at least 1 Endurance Run a year. Everything else is just gravy for me.(no ads, hd video etc.).  As for that T-Shirt:   BlackFront: Ask me anything about this shirt Back: Giant Bomb logo (maybe not too big and at the top?) "
so only people who pay can get to watch 2 guys playing through a video game?
Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Origina1Penguin
@cide said:
" I'm confused, is the new mobile site part of the subscription plan? "
From what I gather, yes (It's one of the three bullet points under confirmed paid perks). Currently, you can browse Giant Bomb on your mobile web browser but you can not log in / post. The membership would allow profile access on mobile devices and, as Dave wrote, " The site will continue to work as is for everyone else." 

The Giant Bomb App is not the same as using your mobile web browser to go to Giant Bomb. The Giant Bomb App lets you view news, videos, and releases only. It is free.
alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By alternate
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" @alternate:   Not really, only one guy I know has a CC around here, and a lot of EU's I spoke on games told me the same. Rawr. "
Well I don't know where "here" is for you, "here" for me, the UK, they are at least as popular as in America I would say - that is why we have so much per capita personal debt.  Pretty common where ever else I have been in western Europe too in all the urban areas at least.
ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By ViciousReiven
Downloadable videos? 
I'm sold already, when I can have the entirety of the endurance runs and quick looks in HD to view anytime then that's more than enough to pay a fee for. 

Also hoping for Paypal support.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#193  Edited By citizenkane
@Tuffgong said:
"  @louiedog said:

" Would it be possible to get a button on our achievements page to refresh our accounts? It's not a big deal, and I'm assuming you'd still have to limit its use to once every few hours to prevent abuse, but it'd be handy. I've definitely finished playing a game, especially when I get an S-rank, and been bummed out when waiting anywhere between a few hours and many days to see how I've done compared to the rest of the community. "

@KuribosShoe said:

" as for suggestions I wouldn't mind an ignore button.  it would help me be less angry at fools. "

• Free piece of merchandise from the store for a full year and discounts (marginal, not much) for all those who are registered subscribers

As Dave has said in the OP, yearly subscribers get a free t-shirt when first registering.
bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By bacongames
@CitizenKane:  I mean that in addition to a free t-shirt, subscribers may also receive a discount.  However non-year subscribers may receive only the discount, no free shirt.  Sorry if my suggestion was misleading, I did read all of Snide man's post.  Edited my post to include clarification.
hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By hockeymask27

hmmm the t-shirt sounds cool. But honestly its the only thing I need. When the time comes I shall see.

ma_rc_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By ma_rc_01

If my shirt says: I paid for Giantbomb and all I got was this stupid t-shirt, I will seriously consider it.

also, paypal.

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By ZmillA

so whether or not I sign up will depend on what all the extra features are.

IceOrb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By IceOrb

Straight up I would pay 40 dollars a year if the only feature I gained was the ability to keep non staff blog posts from being pushed to the front page. I'm not ragging on anyone specifically I'm just a little tired of thinking to myself "Let's see what's happening on GB today!" only to find 3 or 4 blog posts that are obvious flame baits or shit that is entirely out of place on a website about video games. 

I mean common things that pop up every day:

GIRL TROUBLE
ANYONE WHO SAID X IS GOOD IS AN IDIOT
ANYONE WHO SAID X IS BAD IS AN IDIOT
PARENT PROBLEMS  
RANDOM CRAZY STORY THAT COULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED BUT I SWEAR IT TOTALLY DID

And any other manner of bullshit that is just being thrown up there just so the user posting it can get attention. Not all user blog posts are bad but more often than not the things that get pushed up are just shitty flame baits or some shit posters brain farts while interesting well written shit gets buried and hardly seen. 

Pkshields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Pkshields

The one thing I hate when websites or something incorporate subscriptions to their websites is whenever they take content from the site and put it behind the paid barrier. It seems like you guys know this and are steering way clear from it. I just hope no Quick Looks or anything get thrown behind it. Kinda like how people are always complaining about potential content being held back for paid DLC later, kinda ironic eh? 

Other than that, bring it on! I'd pay right now for a Giant Bomb tshirt alone! Wish I could have got one before, but living in the UK didn't help. Out of the 3 announced features, the only one I'd really use would be the mobile site, so I still want to wait to see what else you have cooking in the basement. Pricing too.  

Oh, dude, PS3 compatible media player! Or straight download videocast-style. Using another player with the API atm to make it work but an official solution would be even better.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alternate said:
" @TaliciaDragonsong said:
" @alternate:   Not really, only one guy I know has a CC around here, and a lot of EU's I spoke on games told me the same. Rawr. "
Well I don't know where "here" is for you, "here" for me, the UK, they are at least as popular as in America I would say - that is why we have so much per capita personal debt.  Pretty common where ever else I have been in western Europe too in all the urban areas at least. "
I said EU, meaning a range of countries.
But hey, lets stop this, because I know a shitload of people without a CC, and you know a shitload with a CC, this could go on forever.
And I honestly do not give one damn.
I just want paypal option so I can subscribe to these awesome fella's.