• 97 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Panasonic is looking to step into the games space again with a new device that may just liberate the hardest of hardcore from their computer dens. The company has just announced a handheld dubbed "The Jungle," a device geared toward MMO fans that will, theoretically, provide them with the ability to play their poison of choice while waiting for a bus, sitting in class, or wherever else. This is the first time Panasonic has bothered with the gaming realm since it shipped a version of the short-lived 3DO. (via Gizmodo.)

Not much in the way of details about the device has been released, despite official images and videos of it making their way onto the Internet. Word is that it'll have a high-resolution screen, in addition to silicon beefy enough to support a modern MMO. Oddly, speculation is pegging the device's native OS as Linux, which creates a problem for those of us who enjoy games like World of Warcraft that don't run natively on that OS and require additional tooling and programs to be able to do so. Wi-Fi or 3G support haven't been confirmed, either.

What is known is in that picture. The Jungle is a clamshell device, presumably a monstrous one at that, with a full QWERTY keyboard, a touch-sensitive d-pad and additional buttons. It looks like it'll have a mini-HDMI port, a headphone jack, and a micro-USB port, too. The device's official website says more information is to come about the buttons specifically is coming in the near future.

== TEASER ==According to 1UP, The Jungle's first-slated game is a browser-based version of Battlestar Galactica Online. No other games support has been announced.

Last night, the device appeared on a new episode of Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory, an MTV show about a rich dude who does stupid stuff. Engadget reports that Rob will be making a "jingle" for the device, so look forward to that. Also, check out this first web series for the device. Oh, brother. 

Image via Engadget.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Panasonic is looking to step into the games space again with a new device that may just liberate the hardest of hardcore from their computer dens. The company has just announced a handheld dubbed "The Jungle," a device geared toward MMO fans that will, theoretically, provide them with the ability to play their poison of choice while waiting for a bus, sitting in class, or wherever else. This is the first time Panasonic has bothered with the gaming realm since it shipped a version of the short-lived 3DO. (via Gizmodo.)

Not much in the way of details about the device has been released, despite official images and videos of it making their way onto the Internet. Word is that it'll have a high-resolution screen, in addition to silicon beefy enough to support a modern MMO. Oddly, speculation is pegging the device's native OS as Linux, which creates a problem for those of us who enjoy games like World of Warcraft that don't run natively on that OS and require additional tooling and programs to be able to do so. Wi-Fi or 3G support haven't been confirmed, either.

What is known is in that picture. The Jungle is a clamshell device, presumably a monstrous one at that, with a full QWERTY keyboard, a touch-sensitive d-pad and additional buttons. It looks like it'll have a mini-HDMI port, a headphone jack, and a micro-USB port, too. The device's official website says more information is to come about the buttons specifically is coming in the near future.

== TEASER ==According to 1UP, The Jungle's first-slated game is a browser-based version of Battlestar Galactica Online. No other games support has been announced.

Last night, the device appeared on a new episode of Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory, an MTV show about a rich dude who does stupid stuff. Engadget reports that Rob will be making a "jingle" for the device, so look forward to that. Also, check out this first web series for the device. Oh, brother. 

Image via Engadget.
#2 Edited by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

Jungle speed and Jungler combine to create...

#3 Posted by DaBuddaDa (290 posts) -

Failure

#4 Posted by LibraryDues (343 posts) -

IB4 Jungler

#5 Posted by Th3dz (332 posts) -

Really?

#6 Posted by El_Derrico (205 posts) -

Say, whaaaa?

#7 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Looks fat and ugly. 

...Well, it does.

#8 Posted by Roger_Klotz (786 posts) -

Why not just buy a gaming laptop?

#9 Posted by MeatSim (10892 posts) -

Your not gonna get much done if your playing MMO's where ever you go.

#10 Posted by BrickRoad (704 posts) -

They missed a trick here. They should've called it The Jungler. It comes with every version of Jungler pre built in. It plays nothing else.

#11 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

I know this isnt a site primarily about news and such, and I dont wanna bust on the guys too much because they do a great job, but it's kinda sad when I hear about this stuff on the forums like a day or two before hand.

#12 Posted by DerekDanahy (877 posts) -

So.... a less functional laptop?

#13 Posted by CitizenKane (10507 posts) -

I would hate to the know the price point of this thing.

#14 Posted by Chokobo (1228 posts) -

This will undoubtedly bomb to hell and back.

#15 Posted by TatsurouXIII (652 posts) -

oh hell no, now the WoW-twisted children will start wandering the streets... fuck.

#16 Posted by Hyperfludd (373 posts) -

Remember the Ngage?

#17 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -
@DerekDanahy said:
" So.... a less functional laptop? "
Yyyyyyep.

And an ugly one at that.
#18 Posted by piderman (204 posts) -

Why? Why do companies think these things sell? I really don't get it. This will end up on the bottom shelf at Toys R Us and bought by grandmas who don't understand their grandkids' gaming wishes and subsequently they end up in attics, played once and found majorly disappointing ("Son, stop crying and thank your grandma. It's the polite thing to do.").

#19 Posted by Rongaryen (279 posts) -

The video was dumb but, the new 3DO could be cool if it has 3G support.

#20 Posted by Foggen (865 posts) -

EMULATION

#21 Posted by Gaff (1814 posts) -

Welcome to the Jungle, baby~! Someone had to do it. 

But a touch sensitive D-Pad? Micro USB? Linux? If they're hoping people will starting porting stuff over, they're sadly mistaken.

#22 Posted by EpicSteve (6490 posts) -

What would make a laptop more geared to MMOs? Making the standard OS something that World of Warcraft doesn't support easily?

#23 Posted by frsty13 (85 posts) -
@OracleXIII said:
" oh hell no, now the WoW-twisted children will start wandering the streets... fuck. "
The zombie apocolypse has arrived. 

I really can't see this working.  The portables work best with pick up / put down style games.  MMOs are their polar opposites.
#24 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5276 posts) -

They just need to slap a World of Warcraft sticker on it and call it the WoW special edition.

It will sell millions.

#25 Posted by blitzkriegblizzard (196 posts) -

What is this I don't even.. 

#26 Posted by Dantekiller (206 posts) -

NOOoOoOOOOooOoOOO now all the WOW freaks are going to Flash burn like vampires when they go out to the sun light lol........ i need to see the specs to give my opinion so im not ruling it out for now

#27 Posted by MisterMouse (3560 posts) -

when I think of mmo's I dont think of portability... that is just me though

#28 Posted by xyzygy (10028 posts) -

Maybe this thing will have good exclusives as a selling point? maybe.

#29 Posted by troidy (75 posts) -

Minecraft on this thing. That is all.

#30 Posted by arab_prince (2053 posts) -
@CitizenKane: You and me both. Should be under 100 but I can easily see it being 175
#31 Posted by Chokobo (1228 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85: You know.  Sadly enough, that would probably work.
#32 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

ugly!

#33 Posted by Jost1 (2078 posts) -
@jadeskye said:
" Jungle speed and Jungler combine to create... "
#34 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

It's about time a new piece of laughable design found its way. We haven't had a laugh such as this since the Hyperscan.

#35 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2695 posts) -

NOW HOW MUCH WOULD YOU PAY FOR BATTLESTAR GALACTICA ONLINE?

#36 Posted by Floppypants (798 posts) -

What's the point?  So I can dine-in at Pizza Hut?

#37 Posted by SuperSambo (2879 posts) -
@Floppypants said:
" What's the point?  So I can dine-in at Pizza Hut? "
lmao!
#38 Posted by fjor (302 posts) -

......FAIL!!!!!!

#39 Posted by MrHammeh (200 posts) -

You just know they wont be able to get this thing to a price point where it would even have half a chance anyway.  I just hate to see resources go into such stupid stuff.  =(

#40 Posted by lamegame621 (975 posts) -
@MrHammeh said:
" You just know they wont be able to get this thing to a price point where it would even have half a chance anyway.  I just hate to see resources go into such stupid stuff.  =( "
word
#41 Edited by valentin_rad (85 posts) -

This reminds me of another device... oh what was it called?..... a laptop? 
WTF? People stop encouraging MMOs !!!

#42 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -
@DerekDanahy said:
" So.... a less functional laptop? "
A netbook is a less functional laptop.

This is... whatever that next step down would be.
#43 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

It would be great if this ended up being a success, but I will remain sceptical until they reveal more about it.

#44 Posted by Jolt92 (1558 posts) -

Who will buy this...?

#45 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -

PFFFTWWSSHHAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHA

#46 Posted by TatsurouXIII (652 posts) -
@frsty13 said:
" @OracleXIII said:
" oh hell no, now the WoW-twisted children will start wandering the streets... fuck. "
The zombie apocolypse has arrived.  I really can't see this working.  The portables work best with pick up / put down style games.  MMOs are their polar opposites. "
can you imagine one of those people playing their whatever game while walking down the street? they gonna fall under busses, fall off cliffs... accidents waiting to happen.
#47 Edited by madroxcide (66 posts) -

I hate to be harsh but  i'm calling it. Put this weird thing in a dictionary helping describe a bad idea because people obviously need a reference if they think a stripped laptop to play mmo's with is a good idea. 

#48 Posted by Karmann (622 posts) -

I bought, own, and love my 3DO, still play it !, But even I can see that this is stupid, the idea of playing time sucking MMO's on the go is great, but this device looks HORRIBLE!

#49 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -

Someone tell Trip Hawkins they went and made the 4DO without him.

#50 Posted by ViciousReiven (821 posts) -

well if it's cheaper the the standard gaming laptop it'd be nice, but first there would have to come an MMO worth playing.... maybe PSO2