Party-Based RPGS?

LonesomeYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello there! I've been a fan of Giantbomb for a while, but I've never posted before. I'm in a bit of a rut game-wise, so I thought I'd turn to this wonderful community and ask some advice :)

I've been watching a lot about Darkest Dungeon, and it looks great - but I have a thing about not getting too deep into early access games so I'm staying away for now. But it's really made me want a similar party-based RPG that isn't going to get bogged down in story. I've tried Dragon Age and Mass Effect and things like that, but I just can't handle the stories that never really interest me. I'm looking more for like Legend of Grimrock-style, a good dungeon crawler etc. Anything where I get to start by picking four people and adjusting their stats! I'm looking to play on PC, preferably newer. Does anyone have some good recommendations? Thanks!

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Perhaps Divinity: Original Sin? You can read Patricks review here.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Might and Magic X should be right up your alley.

Jojojimmeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jojojimmeny

I realise this may not be exactly what you're looking for in terms of setting/style, but Wasteland 2 is a pretty good turn based RPG where you can have up to 6 characters in your party, 4 of which you choose at the very beginning either from a list of pre-made characters that you can adjust the stats of or you can just create your own party from scratch. Here is the QuickLook that Rorie and Drew did a while back if you're curious.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#5  Edited By audioBusting

The Icewind Dale games are pretty combat-heavy, as far as I can remember. It has story but it's not the main focus. You create 6 party members from the get go.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

If you have a DS or 3DS, the Etrian Odyssey series is fantastic. If you don't mind something older (and are willing to install a speed hack), Wizardry 8 is just what you're looking for.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Some very good games have already been mentioned. Here are a few more to consider:

• Wizardry 8 - create a party of 8; first-person turn-based combat; focuses on dungeon crawling and world exploration
  • The Temple of Elemental Evil - create a party of 6; isometric turn-based combat; uses D&D 3.5 rules; primarily dungeon crawling with optional quests in town
  • Pillars of Eternity - create a party of 6; isometric realtime-with-pause combat; plenty of dungeon crawling, but maybe too much story
  • Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - create a party of 6 (in solo multiplayer game); isometric realtime-with-pause combat; uses D&D 2.0 rules; open-world exploration/combat with simple story and sidequests
LonesomeYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks everyone!

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The Avernum series. Have fun.

rebellion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rebellion91

If you can find it (it's pretty rare actually) Lost Odyssey for the Xbox 360 is amazing. The story doesn't bog it down, it has traditional JRPG combat with a western twist. Performing quick time like events during battle changes your attacks. If you can find it definitely get it. I believe it's a four disc game so don't be fooled if you see someone selling a single disk on e-bay.

Since you specifically asked for PC I would check out the Baldur's Gate Series. They are on steam and work great. A little dated but amazing.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords was just recently updated. This is by far one of the best rpg games ever made. It has steam workshop support and would definitely kill some time till the game you want comes out. :)

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#11 fisk0  Moderator

StarCrawlers looks promising, though it's in early access, and of course you never know if they'll ever get finished.

tdervan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Icewind Dale games are pretty combat-heavy, as far as I can remember. It has story but it's not the main focus. You create 6 party members from the get go.

This is a favorite of mine!