Party Based RPGs

ManRicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm looking for a good party based RPG to play to keep me occupied until World of Warcraft Legion. Anyone have any good suggestions?

I have played, and beaten(including there sequels)the Dragon Age: Origins, Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, Pillars of Eternity, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Legend of Grimrock, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and Mass Effects of the world. I want another fun/great party based RPG to play. I love them Dragon Age: Origins is my favorite RPG of all-time.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Captain_Insano

Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced edition based on what you've already played

Story is meh but the crafting and combat is the best of any of them

ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

I came in here to suggest Pillars of Eternity and Divinity, but they've already been brought up.

Have you tried Darkest Dungeon? It's more of a turn based, dungeon crawler, rogue-like but it's incredibly fun and just received a big updated recently.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Etrian odyssey games are probably my favorites in the dungeon-crawler-genre and a big part is because the teambuilding-aspect. Recommend Etrian odyssey 4 especially.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Icewind Dale is along the lines of Baldur's Gate but a bit more combat focused. You can heavily customize your party and do some cool experimentation, but it's lighter on story. Fallout and Fallout 2 are classics, but I suppose you are generally alone for huge chunks of them.

If you wanna go more out of left field on this, you could play Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea (the former being more digestible if you are used to western games). They are slower and turn-based but if you like some good old leveling and synergizing a party they are pretty damn cool.

There's plenty of Jrpgs too with varying levels of party involvment. But that is a whole different beast honestly.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

@dudeglove: Because while Planescape: Torment may have one of the best stories in a video game, it's practically an adventure game with the AD&D ruleset. Combat is sparse, the reading is (quite) heavy, and it's generally agreed that only one class and general build path is optimal.

I absolutely love the game, and the party interactions are fascinating, but but the gameplay is auxiliary to exploring the strange world and discovering the story.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

if you got a wii u go grab xenoblade chronicles x and tokyo mirage sessions #FE..

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

If you haven't played it before, I highly recommend Temple of Elemental Evil with the fan-made Circle of Eight mod. It is the single best simulacrum of P&P Dungeons and Dragons rules out there. It's pretty great, though it is front-loaded with a bunch of fedex quests that are sort of necessary if you don't want your party to get crushed.

I'll also recommend the Might and Magic series, specifically VII, as some solid party-focused, exploration-heavy RPG adventuring.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Someone already mentioned Icewind Dale, but IWD2 is also way up there, although you should be pretty well-verse in D&D rules before attempting it if you want to make your own party. Temple of Elemental Evil is also way up there; good recommendation.

Of course the grandaddy of those types of games is Baldur's Gate II, which has a enhanced edition that was released a couple of years ago; that might be a good option for you.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you've got access to an old PS2 or a DS, then Dragon Quest VIII is pretty good. It's maybe my favorite JRPG of all time.

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Arcanum of steamworks and magick obscura, it is one of the best RPGs. You would also like the Icewind Dale series. Also check out Dragon Age 2 while it is not nearly as good as 1 it is still good. Also does Baldurs Gate: Enhanced edition have Baldurs gate 2 in it, because if not Baldurs Gate 2 is great ,much better than one.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Those Penny Arcade games are pretty good, and they come in two distinct flavors (episodes 1 and 2 are very different from episodes 3 and 4).

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm assuming you are looking PC. Dragon Age Inquisition is a fine game if not the same exact party idea. The new Shadowrun games are good and very cheap on Steam right now. If you want to go the JRPG route, Trails in the Sky is good. It has a grid based combat system different from the typical JRPG line everyone up and swing turn based system.

ManRicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_insano:I think I will try Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced edition, it's on Steam Summer Sale for $19;99.

@dudeglove: Planescape: Torment it seems like people either LOVE it or HATE it from people I talked to. When I catch it on sale on GoG i will buy.

@karmosin: Etrian Odyssey is not my type of game at all

@tobbrobb: Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition is on my list to get soon, and I do love jrpgs as well as pretty much every type of rpg just in a mood for a party based rpg.

@marz: Don't have a Wii U Xenoblade Chronicles looks good though

@arbitrarywater: Temple of Elemental Evil has caught my eye just not sold gotta watch some LPs of it or something. The Might and Magic series is not for me.

@lawgamer: Yeah I never got into The Dragon Quest series, it might just be time.

@memonk: Don't know if you read my post but I have beaten Dragon Age 1,2 and 3 Inquisition BG 1&2

siknastiwitit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By siknastiwitit

@manricky@lawgamer All of the DQ games (except VII) are available on IOS and Android as well. I actually like the way the play on phones.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@dudeglove: Because while Planescape: Torment may have one of the best stories in a video game, it's practically an adventure game with the AD&D ruleset. Combat is sparse, the reading is (quite) heavy, and it's generally agreed that only one class and general build path is optimal.

I absolutely love the game, and the party interactions are fascinating, but but the gameplay is auxiliary to exploring the strange world and discovering the story.

The combat in that game is goddamn difficult because you have very few opportunities to level. You either need to be dumb guy who is strong to get through the combat or hope to god you can survive as a wizard or something until you can get strong enough. I REALLY like the story in that game, it's so fantastic. But the time that I played through the whole game I just cheated and made a lvl 20 character with high INT and CHA to get all the dialogue options.

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MeMonk

@manricky: I did but missed the part about "all the sequels" but give Arcanum a try it is very good. The new Shadowrun is pretty good. Also Legend of Heroes: Trials in the Sky is a very good JRPG.

CcFfBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gunflame88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By gunflame88

Arcanum is EXCELLENT, although be sure your version is patched. It is one of my most favorite games ever and its use of steampunk setting is the best I've seen in any media. If you get it, I suggest you try playing as a technologist for your first game.

The three new Shadowrun games are great stuff with Returns being alright (and still worth checking out), but its sequels Dragonfall and Hong Kong are a big improvement. They're shorter than your typical cRPG, but playing through all three should take up a good chunk of time.

Wasteland 2 is a good example of a great Kickstarter game. Playing the ancient original is not absolutely necessary, in my opinion.

Also, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 (NOT the MMORPG) - surprised those have not been mentioned. Along with the rather lengthy campaign both games have a ton of extra content with excellent expansions.

Armias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sword Coast Legends

Blackguards 1 and 2

Or maybe you might like games that emphasize tactics a bit more?

Jagged Alliance 2

Silent Storm

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

@ccffbb: Is Lost Odyssey in print anymore? I don't think I've seen a copy out in the wild in years. In any case, if OP is going this route, absolutely get a new copy in shrink wrap. The game comes in four discs and the packaging for it was utter crap. I wouldn't be surprised if most used copies ended up with at least one of the discs scratched because of this. Still, as a game, I second this recommendation.

Or you can play Chrono Trigger, which is basically my default answer for any sort of "what game should I play" question.

GStats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Either of the Xenoblades. Similarish battle style to DA:Origins but very different presentations and mood.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5bc497650e6
deactivated-5e5bc497650e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy 10 HD is a lot of fun if you have never played it before