Patrick's commentary when subheading news articles.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-61abb009b221e
deactivated-61abb009b221e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Things like:

• "Holy crap. This game looks good."
  • "This news gives me another month to find time for Demon's Souls."
  • "Finally."

I think it doesn't seem right to color opinion or personal commentary on pure news. Opinionated subheaders on Patrick's editorials, original shows, and etc. are fair game, but things like a release date for a game or other announcements shouldn't be the place to mention personal opinion, even in a personality-driven website like this one. I would like to judge it for myself before reading someone else's comments.

I don't know. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but that's just how I've been feeling for awhile.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I don't disagree per se... It hasn't really ever bothered me, but sometimes they do seem a bit overly sardonic. For the record the king of sarcastic sub-header comments is still Alex.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There are plenty of other sites to read what is essentially a re-worded press release. Like you said, this is a personality driven site. They are going to inject their feelings into almost everything they are covering.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Sterling

You are nitpicking. Locked.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Patrick's sub-headers are my least favorite, but they don't bother me.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By TruthTellah

Have you read Alex's subheaders?

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

Agree with the OP, same goes for Alex's titles though. Some more creativity would be nice I guess

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sort of half-agree? I don't know, it does feel nitpicky but I also have this little thing in the back of my head saying its out of place. At the same time I also know I shouldn't care and let people do what they want on their website. Oh life, so confusing.

Pizza! Yay

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't disagree per se... It hasn't really ever bothered me, but sometimes they do seem a bit overly sardonic. For the record the king of sarcastic sub-header comments is still Alex.

Alex is pure sarcasm though, he can't help himself.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Why even visit this website if you don't understand by now that personality is a part of every single feature? That includes news. People come here not just to read what's happening, but also for some opinion on what ishappening.. If it bothers you, there are a bagillion places you can go that will cut and paste a press release. Anyway, is reading a sentence beneath a headline really that big an obstacle to forming your own opinion? I dont believe for a second that you are that weak willed. Use your own judgement.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I've only seen him do that in editorials, and not even very important ones. So, I don't see a problem.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@sterling: are you a mod or what just happened? It's just part of giant bomb being the personality driven site it is.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By mike

Well this thread is really going places.

You can always PM, email, or Tweet staff members if you want to directly criticize some part of their work you take issue with.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Well this thread is really going places.

You can always PM, email, or Tweet staff members if you want to directly criticize some part of their work you take issue with.