User Lists: 7

I don't think China cares.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Conan O' Brian is a refreshing view, it lets us gamers see how non-gamers react to certain things that we would just overlook entirely.

Incidentally, that river death was brutal, I cringed every single time.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Why not?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're still making this game with a focus on Lara as an object of desire; I am not shocked.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By pr1mus

Well there you have it people, video games make Conan O'Brien violent and sexist! Someone call Fox News.

That was great, i love these.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By artelinarose

@likeassur said:

Incidentally, that river death was brutal, I cringed every single time.

I am sure I have said it before, but things like that are absolutely unnecessary and only serve to humiliate the player for making a split second mistake. Failing a QTE and having to watch my character be brutally murdered or trial and erroring my way down a river where any mistake means I have to watch an extended clip of my character getting their head impaled and struggling to remove it before falling limp does nothing to improve how I feel about playing your game. All it does is hold my face down in the mud and say "look at this, you made a mistake, watch them suffer, you deserve this." It has never once contributed positively to any video game experience.

/rantrantrant

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That video was fucking hilarious. Conans reactions were priceless.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That ending was hilarious.

They're still making this game with a focus on Lara as an object of desire; I am not shocked.

Yes she has a cleavage and a slim fit body that makes her an object of desire, yup exactly.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam: I think you are grossly overestimating Patrick's sensitivity.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oraknabo said:

Is he?

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Ha, I was thinking the same thing when I first saw the video. Conan's not wrong, though. For as much of a gritty, semi-realistic reboot that this is, Lara is still plenty sexualised and could still be characterised as a 'pinup video game character'.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country"

Fuck me, right?

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Jams

Man I was laughing through the whole thing. Too bad Conan can be hit or miss sometimes.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artemesia: I agree with you 100%. Stuff like that always really bothered me about certain games.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oraknabo said:

Is he?

I'll give Patrick the benefit of the doubt.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oraknabo said:

Is he?

This is the same guy whom I believe condemned that Cyberpunk announcement trailer as being sexist after all. It was during the Anarchy Reigns TNT I think?

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

Ha, I was thinking the same thing when I first saw the video. Conan's not wrong, though. For as much of a gritty, semi-realistic reboot that this is, Lara is still plenty sexualised and could still be characterised as a 'pinup video game character'.

Watch out, or Officegamer might agree with you, sarcastically.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bocam

@yummylee said:
@alexandersheen said:

@oraknabo said:

Is he?

This is the same guy whom I believe condemned that Cyberpunk announcement trailer as being sexist after all. It was during the Anarchy Reigns TNT I think?

It was during the "I Love Mondays" after the trailer was released. I totally forgot about that. (To be fair, Ryan also said it was sexist.)

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh come on. All you People claiming that this game is all about masturbating to Lara, just give it up. You are being ridiculous. If everything Lara says, does, sounds and acts like in this game had been done by a man, you wouldn't hear a peep about all this objectifying nonsense. Lara is a woman, if a woman gets impaled by a log through her neck or breaks her legs, you can be damned sure she's going to moan about it just as much as a man would. Finally, aren't the people noticing all this crap really the ones (if any) who are objectifying her? Enough already, I for one am hyped for this game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Oh come on guys, does she need to be wearing a turtleneck sweater to not be viewed as an object of desire? It's a female character, she needs to resemble a female. Sometimes I just think some gamers are too immature to handle women in video games. When I played Grand Theft Auto or Uncharted I wasn't spinning the camera around to check out Drakes ass all the time and I don't think a lot of female gamers were either. At a certain point it's as important what the player brings to the table as what the game does. If you want to play a game like this spinning the camera around gawking at polygon breasts and butt that's really on you, not the developer.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zenmastah

Ooh yeah baby!

No Caption Provided

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh no, someone's making fun of a games questionable game and character design.

He also made fun of old people, his bearded companion, and himself for being a pervert. I don't watch his show very often, but I do think Conan's pretty a pretty funny guy... and that Tomb Raider looks great.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Lara falling off heights and crashing into spikes is... Kind of a series tradition. This is just the problem with more photorealism. When she ragdolls all crazy it's fun video games time. When she gets stuck real brutal now it's serious business.

Also sexualized? You people won't be happy until women are wearing burkas.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

So just being a woman is too sexy for you guys?

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Yummylee
@guiseppe said:

Oh come on. All you People claiming that this game is all about masturbating to Lara, just give it up. You are being ridiculous. If everything Lara says, does, sounds and acts like in this game had been done by a man, you wouldn't hear a peep about all this objectifying nonsense. Lara is a woman, if a woman gets impaled by a log through her neck or breaks her legs, you can be damned sure she's going to moan about it just as much as a man would. Finally, aren't the people noticing all this crap really the ones (if any) who are objectifying her? Enough already, I for one am hyped for this game.

Way to blow your top. Lara is sexualised just as much as, say, Nathan Drake for the most obvious example, edit: and Nathan Drake is still a rugged, handsome, sexy kinda fella -- hey, as a hetero guy I ain't 'fraid to admit it!. And I'm not criticisingthe fact that Lara still has mega-cleavage or wears pants that show off her well sculpted derrière. If anything I'm just pointing out the slight hypocrisy many people have about lampooning how insanely sexualised classic Lara was when this new iteration is still wearing a low cut top--and will apparently continue to wear it during freezing temperatures--and still manages to look pretty good despite all of the hardships she goes through. She gets all dirty and stuff, but then that could also only add to her sex appeal in some cases.

This is specifically why I loathe opening my mouth in such topics, because there's always going to be someone who takes something said in the wrong way and then everything blows up and the world is doomed as we know it.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Listen to this without watching the video:

Loading Video...

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was great.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That outfit ain't practical, I'll grant Conan that much. The titty shots and tight pants are going to get their run in some media circles, you can bank on it.. but more "shocking" is the river death and some of Lara's "finisher" kills I saw on the GT review. Brutal as hell, almost unnecessarily so.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That outfit ain't practical, I'll grant Conan that much. The titty shots and tight pants are going to get their run in some media circles, you can bank on it.. but more "shocking" is the river death and some of Lara's "finisher" kills I saw on the GT review. Brutal as hell, almost unnecessarily so.

I kinda like the nasty death animations. Well, maybe ''like'' is the wrong way to put it, but I feel that they at least fit. Considering that this is supposed to be a sorta/kinda survival game, making the world feel grim, makeshift and downright cruel only adds to the atmosphere. I've said this before, but summing it up I think Tomb Raider basically resembles what an Uncharted game mixed in with the brutality from The Last of Us would look like.

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Alekss

@artemesia: I wonder if you would think the same if it was a guy.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
@guiseppe said:

Way to blow your top. Lara is sexualised just as much as, say, Nathan Drake for the most obvious example, edit: and Nathan Drake is still a rugged, handsome, sexy kinda fella -- hey, as a hetero guy I ain't 'fraid to admit it!. And I'm not criticisingthe fact that Lara still has mega-cleavage or wears pants that show off her well sculpted derrière. If anything I'm just pointing out the slight hypocrisy many people have about how insanely sexualised classic Lara was when this new iteration is still wearing a low cut top--and will apparently continue to wear it during freezing temperatures--and still manages to look pretty good despite all of the hardships she goes through. She gets all dirty and stuff, but then that could also only add to her sex appeal in some cases.

This is specifically why I loathe opening my mouth in such topics, because there's always going to be someone who takes something said in the wrong way and then everything blows up and the world is doomed as we know it.

Right, but have you ever heard anyone complaining about him being just that? I mean prior to all the comparisons between him and Lara. I sure haven't. She doesn't have mega-cleavage, ok, she does, but not unrealistically mega. As for her clothing, I haven't played the game but from what I've seen, it doesn't look like she brought her wardrobe, and it looks like wherever she gets stranded crashes doesn't just have the optimal clothing laying around. Sure she gets dirty, doesn't Drake? Wouldn't anyone, regardless of gender in her situation? Also, the world is doomed with or without Lara's cleavage.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guiseppe: The game is doing well in reviews so I think you can stay hyped regardless of this stuff. :) The main character is an attractive woman and there'll always be different opinions on whether what is in the game is there to play on that fact, or not.

BRNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BRNK

You guys are too rich. Patrick hasn't done something for you to bitch about in the last 24 hours, so you roleplay how you think he might feel about a subject and then bitch about that. Y'all are obsessed with this man.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

Never had a problem with the sexualization. That river death though made me cringe every single time. It's weird how if this were any other game I'm willing to bet that it wouldn't show your character just limping there waiting to die like it does in Tomb Raider. I get the developers want you to feel Lara pain, but it can be a bit much.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alekss said:

@artemesia: I wonder if you would think the same if it was a guy.

Cute. I hated it in RE4/5, I hated it in Dead Space, I hated it in The Witcher 2. It can really, really ruin a play session for me. It's the same thing as enemies taunting you when you die or elaborate game over screens that rub in the fact that you screwed up(looking at you, Arkham Asylum/City), only needlessly violent.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Funkydupe

@brnk: I haven't seen anyone mention Patrick beyond the thread starter. So your beef is with him. I don't see why he had to mention Patrick either.

If anything, it is the rest of us taking flack for having an opinion that is on edge with what the women here feel about it. As long as I can say what my own opinion is, I will, even if that means taking a series of hits for doing so.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guiseppe: The game is doing well in reviews so I think you can stay hyped regardless of this stuff. :) The main character is an attractive woman and there'll always be different opinions on whether what is in the game is there to play on that fact, or not.

Oh, I'll stay hyped alright, nothing can take that away from me. I just think all this other stuff is ridiculous :).

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guiseppe said:

@yummylee said:
@guiseppe said:

Way to blow your top. Lara is sexualised just as much as, say, Nathan Drake for the most obvious example, edit: and Nathan Drake is still a rugged, handsome, sexy kinda fella -- hey, as a hetero guy I ain't 'fraid to admit it!. And I'm not criticisingthe fact that Lara still has mega-cleavage or wears pants that show off her well sculpted derrière. If anything I'm just pointing out the slight hypocrisy many people have about how insanely sexualised classic Lara was when this new iteration is still wearing a low cut top--and will apparently continue to wear it during freezing temperatures--and still manages to look pretty good despite all of the hardships she goes through. She gets all dirty and stuff, but then that could also only add to her sex appeal in some cases.

Right, but have you ever heard anyone complaining about him being just that? I mean prior to all the comparisons between him and Lara. I sure haven't. She doesn't have mega-cleavage, ok, she does, but not unrealistically mega. As for her clothing, I haven't played the game but from what I've seen, it doesn't look like she brought her wardrobe, and it looks like wherever she gets stranded crashes doesn't just have the optimal clothing laying around. Sure she gets dirty, doesn't Drake? Wouldn't anyone, regardless of gender in her situation? Also, the world is doomed with or without Lara's cleavage.

But who's complaining?? That's what has gotten me frustrated, because as this thread's gone on everybody's dog-piling against criticisms in this thread that don't exist. I'm only speaking for myself here, though, but my original comment was purely observational.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psylah said:

@daveyo520 said:

This.

Yup, this. I think it was more Conan's inferences than the games, the only thing that 'shocked' me was that brutal head spike at the end, ouch.

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brnk: I can bet my life he will have a problem with the way Lara is depicted in this game.