#151 Edited by golguin (3927 posts) -

@aegon said:

@golguin said:

You know I don't remember people having such a strong reactions to a death scene or graphic depictions of violence in the various AAA titles that have come out. Is it because Lara is a girl?

If I saw Nathan Drake get a spike through the skull, I think I'd have the same reaction.

I guess you wouldn't be part of the grand majority of people who praised The Last of Us for its depiction of violence at that E3 demo with the guy begging for his life and getting a shotgun to the face.

#152 Posted by ripelivejam (3956 posts) -

guys i think this is supposed to be about a funny conan video where he plays a game.

#154 Posted by FierceDeity (358 posts) -

That spike through the head was brutal, but it's not like we haven't seen worse. Like your character getting his head chomped off in Dead Space, for example. Does a game having an explicit horror theme make it more palatable for some people?

#155 Posted by Hailinel (24783 posts) -

@golguin said:

@aegon said:

@golguin said:

You know I don't remember people having such a strong reactions to a death scene or graphic depictions of violence in the various AAA titles that have come out. Is it because Lara is a girl?

If I saw Nathan Drake get a spike through the skull, I think I'd have the same reaction.

I guess you wouldn't be part of the grand majority of people who praised The Last of Us for its depiction of violence at that E3 demo with the guy begging for his life and getting a shotgun to the face.

That demo just made the protagonist come off like a psychopath.

On the subject of Tomb Raider, I look forward to playing it. I'm really digging the direction that this game is going.

#156 Edited by TournamentOfHate (443 posts) -

guys i think this is supposed to be about a funny conan video where he plays a game.

Yeah, this. So everybody, I didn't mean anything by the title, I was just kind of poking fun of the people who mention Patrick whenever sexism comes up in a game(I love Patrick), I thought I worded it so you'd see that, but I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough :S. I also posted this in the Tomb Raider forum but it got moved to General Discussion, I guess since it turned into what it turned into which I honestly wasn't expecting, silly me I know, so I'm sorry for starting a shit storm. Mostly I just thought it was a funny video, but like others have said I do find this video series that Conan does to be interesting on how a casual or less than casual gamer reacts to things in video games that we've just gotten used to and don't even think of anymore because we've grown so accustomed to it.

#157 Posted by ripelivejam (3956 posts) -

@ripelivejam said:

Yeah, this. So everybody, I didn't mean anything by the title, I was just kind of poking fun of the people who mention Patrick whenever sexism comes up in a game(I love Patrick), I thought I worded it so you'd see that, but I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough :S. I also posted this in the Tomb Raider forum but it got moved to General Discussion, I guess since it turned into what it turned into which I honestly wasn't expecting, silly me I know, so I'm sorry for starting a shit storm. Mostly I just thought it was a funny video, but like others have said I do find this video series that Conan does to be interesting on how a casual or less than casual gamer reacts to things in video games that we've just gotten used to and don't even think of anymore because we've grown so accustomed to it.

no hard feelings against you, at least you were vaguely poking fun at it and not spewing actual irrational bile-hate like some here do. (just watched the nolan north video and i seriously have NO idea what people are raging about, save a little slight goofy awkwardness. guess i opened that can of worms myself. :) )

thanks for posting it and i enjoyed it!

#158 Posted by fiberpay (282 posts) -

Who cares if Patrick don't like it? Coco is awesome! Shocker men like women.

#159 Posted by ildon (369 posts) -

Conan's Clueless Gamer bits are fucking hilarious. All that other shit you guys are arguing about is retarded.

#160 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

"There's a ship."

"I know that's a ship."

#161 Edited by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

eh, patrick seems like the kinda guy that would lecture a black guy about why he shouldnt like django unchained after walking out of it happy. he's the standard well-off white male that jumps to causes he doesn't honestly care about to make himself feel better about himself.

ive sorta stopped giving a shit about patricks opinion awhile ago.

he's the "hey dude thats offensive" killjoy when someones telling a joke at a party.

#162 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

eh, patrick seems like the kinda guy that would lecture a black guy about why he shouldnt like django unchained after walking out of it happy. he's the standard well-off white male that jumps to causes he doesn't honestly care about to make himself feel better about himself.

he's the "hey dude thats offensive" killjoy when someones telling a joke at a party.

Patrick literally has nothing to do with anything in this topic?

#163 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5827 posts) -

oh man, that video was great. The river death was fucked up though D:

Anyway, can't wait to play this game. I didn't even know it was being released next week.

#164 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1973 posts) -

If only we could invent a way to convert stupid internet controversies into energy. I think we'd become a Kardashev type II civilisation over night.

#165 Edited by hinderk (685 posts) -

I find it hilarious that Patrick has written three articles (that I've seen) about sexism and is now labeled as some easily offended, extremist, feminist. Get over it dudes.

edit: I don't even think he has said anything negative about the game. Why is anyone even talking about him in this thread? I hear more people complain about feminist than I hear feminist complain.

#166 Posted by Village_Guy (2577 posts) -

I love that spike-through-the-head death, so brutal and yet it isn't particularly gory.

#167 Posted by GnaTSoL (793 posts) -

@artemesia: LMAO So What would you have the game relay to you after failing something? Have it go the ol' 'Positive Reinforcement' route and baby you!? Jesus! Messing up in dire situations like in Tomb Raider means your ass. If the developers just removed any kind of adverse outcome because they were too grueling, they'd be putting out an unfinished product.

Close your eyes next time.

#168 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

I didn't see anyone flipping out when Leon got killed a thousand ways in RE4. Oh wait, that's because he's a man. Nevermind then.

#169 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

That is just one of the many facets of amusement in this thread.

#170 Posted by Milkman (16789 posts) -

lol wow

You write one article about sexism and suddenly, the internet labels you all kind of things. Keep going, dude. You're doing great.

#171 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3729 posts) -

@hinderk said:

I find it hilarious that Patrick has written three articles (that I've seen) about sexism and is now labeled as some easily offended, extremist, feminist. Get over it dudes.

The last straw for me was when some guy at Gearbox dared to use the term "girlfriend mode" to explain an optional feature meant to introduce non-gamers to Borderlands 2, and allow them to contribute. Despite the fact that this term was used by loads of gamers and journalists alike to describe a feature of Mario Galaxy, and NO ONE CARED. Some people even posted claiming that they heard Patrick himself using the term when talking about Mario Galaxy on the Bombcast, although I'm not sure if that's true or not. Then a year or two later, people make a big deal out of someone else saying the same damn thing, likely to get hits for their shitty gaming blogs during slow news day.

It would be like me using the word idiot, and then people saying everywhere suddenly deciding that the term relates to the mentally disabled, and should be considered as offensive as "retarded."

Then, Gearbox president Randy Pitchford, releases a PR announcement saying that the guy was specifically talking about HIS girlfriend, and said that there's no room for sexism at Gearbox. It was at this point, and this is the last straw part, that professional gaming journalist Patrick Klepek reached out to Pitchford via Twitter and said the following:

Sorry, @DuvalMagic. You're wrong on this one, and it's Gearbox's fault it's blowing up. Phrasing matters. Words matter. Apologize, move on.

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/235043338846339072

Since then, I'm officially a Patrick detractor.

@milkman said:

You write one article about sexism and suddenly, the internet labels you all kind of things. Keep going, dude. You're doing great.

To be fair, he's written at least five in the last year alone, not to mention the example I posted above.

#172 Posted by Milkman (16789 posts) -
#173 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

But...I mean it's a comedy show, of course that's going to happen.

#174 Edited by probablytuna (3660 posts) -
#175 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

The most offensive part about this game is how bad Lara's British accent is. Melodramatic and extremely over the top.

#176 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@grantheaslip said:

That spike death animation was ridiculous and unnecessary. I hate it when games do stuff like that for no reason, and it’s embarrassing to see games be represented by gratuitous nonsense.

How dare games depict hazardous situations accurately. I mean it's not like people ever get impaled in real life. Never.

Yeah it's gruesome but so what? If anything to me seeing that happen would make me not want to fuck up again because it was pretty unsettling, then again I also found the Mortal Kombat pit fatalities (spikes) to be some of the most gruesome too.

#177 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3729 posts) -

@milkman said:

@spaceinsomniac: I guess you don't like Jeff anymore either?

My issue with Patrick is mostly him demanding an apology, which I felt just made him look like an ass. Just as it's wrong for someone to suggest that they automatically know Patrick's thoughts when it comes to a situation, I think it was wrong for Patrick to refuse to accept the initial Gearbox explanation, and instead continue to vilify the man / company for a few poorly chosen words.

He could have just accepted Gearbox's stance that there's no room for sexism at the company with a simple "glad to hear it," but no, he had to demand an apology for an an informal term that both he and Giant Bomb pretty much ignored, until it became some sort of bandwagon issue.

#178 Posted by HellknightLeon (467 posts) -

God he is getting old... so... so...old. Oh God!!! I'm getting old!!!

#179 Edited by LiquidPrince (15947 posts) -

@liquidprince said:

That was hilarious. Conan is awesome. Also I really am dying to play this... URGH!

Hey! You're here! This is good news, I'm glad someone's still here who can just... you know, just talk for me.

I am indeed still here. Can't get rid of me that easily! XD

But yeah, I am stoked for this game! Haven't been this excited for a Croft game since like Legends and actually most games since Uncharted!

#180 Edited by Poppy_Persona (154 posts) -

Yeah how dare Patrick write about a subject that is apparent in games and obviously on this fucking website by the tone of the op, Jesus no one is forcing anyone to read those articles he writes etc.

#181 Edited by hinderk (685 posts) -

@spaceinsomniac: Don't really see a problem with that tweet. I'm Interpreting it as" You're only making things worse by trying to talk yourself out of it. Apologize and everyone will forget about it".

#182 Edited by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

@toowalrus said:

@liquidprince said:

That was hilarious. Conan is awesome. Also I really am dying to play this... URGH!

Hey! You're here! This is good news, I'm glad someone's still here who can just... you know, just talk for me.

I'm here too-Walrus! Eh? Eh?

Yeah, but LP was banned for awhile and no one was sure why but it was just a glitch in the system and...

Uh. OK jason86, I can forgive, but I don't think I can ever forget.

#183 Edited by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Hearing him talk about the game on the bombcast without sounding like he had actually played it was incredibly annoying. So there's some of this in it, who fucking cares? As someone mentioned, Leon gets his head sawed off a bunch of times in RE4. Mortal Kombat is based on completely obliterating your opponent. I have never seen this kind of backlash over any other game, but suddenly it's too much? Come on.

#184 Posted by stryker1121 (1442 posts) -

@golguin said:

@aegon said:

@golguin said:

The Last of Us demo's violence fit from the survival-horror aspect of the title. People just don't expect this kind of visceral, in-your-face bloodshed from a TR game. I'm not sure if it fits the character either, even if CD has rebooted the game in the "gritty" survival direction.

#185 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1593 posts) -

@sooty said:

@grantheaslip said:

That spike death animation was ridiculous and unnecessary. I hate it when games do stuff like that for no reason, and it’s embarrassing to see games be represented by gratuitous nonsense.

How dare games depict hazardous situations accurately. I mean it's not like people ever get impaled in real life. Never.

Yeah it's gruesome but so what? If anything to me seeing that happen would make me not want to fuck up again because it was pretty unsettling, then again I also found the Mortal Kombat pit fatalities (spikes) to be some of the most gruesome too.

I’m not a doctor, but if we’re really concerned with accuracy, wouldn’t getting impaled through the brain stem preclude struggling?

#186 Posted by Krullban (1036 posts) -

@azteck said:

Hearing him talk about the game on the bombcast without sounding like he had actually played it was incredibly annoying. So there's some of this in it, who fucking cares? As someone mentioned, Leon gets his head sawed off a bunch of times in RE4. Mortal Kombat is based on completely obliterating your opponent. I have never seen this kind of backlash over any other game, but suddenly it's too much? Come on.

It's suddenly too much because the character has boobs.

#187 Posted by guiseppe (2840 posts) -

Let's just make Lara a man who enchants his enemies with rainbows and kittens while on a quest to find the cutest unicorn EVER. That should make everyone happy.

#188 Posted by SkankinPacman (77 posts) -

Funny to see a bunch of people hate on Patrick for his opinions but when Jeff had some pretty negative things to say about Tomb Raider after last years E3 when they said "You'll want to protect Lara" no one said anything.

I mildly chuckled at the Conan video.

#189 Edited by UlquioKani (1057 posts) -

As my first exposure to Conan, that was hilarious. The game looks pretty cool. That river death is really horrific and I get what they mean when they say you want to protect her because when I am going through that game, I am going to make sure that doesn't happen. It's incredibly unsettling because it hangs there for just a little too long. I don't usually react much to video game violence because it never looks all that realistic but that hit me pretty hard. In games like Dead Space, you don't really see a face struggling, he's in his robot suit and you don't get to see the pain he is going through. Isaac's deaths are also pretty quick but when you are looking into the eyes of the person as they are dying, it's fucked up. If they were trying to make me feel terrible, then they succeed.

#190 Posted by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

Yeah, Patrick's anti-Conan O'Brien stance is notorious.

#191 Edited by golguin (3927 posts) -

@skankinpacman said:

Funny to see a bunch of people hate on Patrick for his opinions but when Jeff had some pretty negative things to say about Tomb Raider after last years E3 when they said "You'll want to protect Lara" no one said anything.

I mildly chuckled at the Conan video.

No one said anything? You must have missed the backlash with people saying the situation was being blown out of proportion. It was around the same time as "Girlfriend Mode" and people thought the reaction to that was stupid as well as the term had been thrown around for years already and had been used to describe the assists from a 2nd player in Super Mario Galaxy.

It then came out that the lead writer for the game was Rhianna Pratchett. You can imaged it was quite a shock when all the white knights learned that the imaginary misogynistic white male writing all these "sexist" scenarios for Lara was actually a woman.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/tomb-raider-writer-rhianna-pratchett-on-controversy-and-characterisation/

The response of a gaming press and public, many of whom had not even seen the trailer let alone played the scene in context, was a source of frustration to Pratchett. Not least because at the time of the furor she had yet to be announced as one of the writers working on the project.

“It got people talking and thinking about character and the relationship between characters and females. The debate had a value to it. I just wish there had been more restraint and people had waited to judge it in context. People were assuming you were white, straight, middle class American man.”

#192 Edited by m3ds334 (38 posts) -

@oscar__explosion: I don't know. I kinda feel like there going for an incredibly harsh brutal environment, something a kin to Dead Space. The brutal deaths are supposed to reinforce the bleakness of the world, so it's less about the character and more about the world their building.

#193 Posted by Jace (1094 posts) -

Conan O'Brien plays Tomb Raider.

I figured it was going to be a link to an I.Q. test.

#194 Posted by jerseyscum (875 posts) -

Patrick's probably a Leno fan. Fucking cyborg piece of shit.

#195 Edited by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

Wait, so what does this have to do with Patrick? You may not agree with the guy, and find him hypersensitive or whatever, but continually singling out a staff member like this is really shitty.

#196 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4800 posts) -

@sooty said:

@grantheaslip said:

I’m not a doctor, but if we’re really concerned with accuracy, wouldn’t getting impaled through the brain stem preclude struggling?

Nerves are still firing for some moments after impact, so no.

#197 Posted by EXTomar (4726 posts) -

Some of you are way to invested, almost obsessed with this topic. I don't have any idea why Patrick would care about this.

#198 Posted by jerseyscum (875 posts) -

Wait, so what does this have to do with Patrick? You may not agree with the guy, and find him hypersensitive or whatever, but continually singling out a staff member like this is really shitty.

Replicants aren't people.

#199 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3729 posts) -

...but when Jeff had some pretty negative things to say about Tomb Raider after last years E3 when they said "You'll want to protect Lara" no one said anything.

Why should someone say anything? How was saying that in any way wrong? Our society has always protected the health and well-being of women FAR more than it protects men in any form. I agree it's the definition of the word sexist, but so are the laws pertaining to issues such as rape and domestic violence. This guy didn't say anything that hasn't already been completely accepted by our society.

#200 Edited by Stonyman65 (2704 posts) -

I watched that last night after @willsmith posted it on twitter. I laughed my ass off. That was one of the funniest video game related things I've seen in a while.

If you are taking any of that shit seriously, than you are missing the whole point. Calm down guys.