fr0y0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By fr0y0
Hey gang!

I'm a PC Gamer, I guess. What this means in this case is that I only own a PC. I did have a PS3 for well over a year, but had to sell it at one point. That was almost two years ago. Now I'm in the market for a console again and I have a few questions, and they're all over the place. (This isn't going to happen in the near future, so don't expect a resolution tomorrow or next week. I just like to think ahead. And as another sidenote: Regarding Netflix and similar services, I'm not in the US.)

Basically, I was really pro-PS3 up until a few days ago, when I took a closer look at the 360 and what it has to offer. Now I'm on the fence. The PS3 had a huge lead because of its BluRay capabilites. Then I thought about if I really want a multifunctional device or just rather concentrate on gaming.

What I noticed is that, compared to the Xbox Marketplace, the PSN Shop seems really boring and uninventive. Let alone for the lack of Super Meatboy and something resembling a "Summer of Aracade" (feel free to correct me on that). Also: Trenched. Under these aspects, it now comes down to the price of the console for me. I could get the "smallest" 360 slim with 4GB for as low as 140 EUR (~ $200 (lol! sorry)). And this is where this question takes a complete spin: Can I hook up an external HDD to the console and save my bought Arcade games on there? I'm aware that I can't take that HDD somewhere else to play these games on another account or something like that. This is purely for storage. I already have an external HDD. 

Now for multimedia capabilites. Since I've used the PS3, I know I can set up my PC as a media server the PS3 will connect to and (attempt to) play anything I throw at it. I recall a not-so-small number of hiccups, caused by format chaos and/or the way the server and console connecting to each other (folders and files not being visible and stuff like that). How far has this stuff developed? 
And if some 360 users could report their experiences, that'd be much appreciated (I am on Windows, indeed, if that matters). 

Controllers. I like fighting games. I use a 360 controller on my PC and I hate the D-Pad. Playing Street Fighter 4 with the stick is only feasable for some characters. For my liking, at least. Also tried Tekken and some other games through emulators. Wasn't great. Should I just get an aracade stick at some point? Maybe someone has tried that "new" Razer controller for the 360, the Onza? (video of that on tested, check it out!)  

So yea. I have some more questions, but I'm going to collect my thoughts based on your answers. In the meantime you can always just try to pitch me your platform of choice. 

Thanks and Cheers!
blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By blackbird415

with my pc I honestly hardly play my 360 anymore. if you have a pc thatll play any pc game, idk man. Id probably go for the ps3 myself just because most games you cant get on pc are usually on both systems and i've been dying to play the killzone and uncharted games

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Its because of L.A. Noire isn't it...admit it, admit that its the only reason you decided to get a console! 
Goes back to playing Stalker.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Jack268

Eh, 360 doesn't have that many exclusives any more. It's sort of running out of steam while the PS3 is getting more and more.

Badhands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Badhands
@TheDudeOfGaming said:
Its because of L.A. Noire isn't it...admit it, admit that its the only reason you decided to get a console! 
Goes back to playing Stalker.
This, you should stick with PC! But I have to say at the moment go with a PS3 I guess, also the Razer Onza controller is a fantastic controller. I use it with my PC when I feel like sitting on my futon and playing games instead of at my desk, (PC gamers can sit on a comfy couch and play on a big T.V. also)
Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Aus_azn
@Jack268 said:
Eh, 360 doesn't have that many exclusives any more. It's sort of running out of steam while the PS3 is getting more and more.
This, basically.
Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Bollard
@fr0y0: I'm not sure if I can help you with everything, but what I do know is if you want to use an external HDD on the Xbox for extra storage for arcade games, you totally can, but only for up to 16gb of storage (which is more than the default HDD that you bought on the White Xbox 360 was formatted, so that's cool.)  Basically you have to partition off a section of that size for the Xbox to use, but after that its kewl afaik.
thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thebatmobile

360 is better for multiplayer, I guess?

fr0y0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fr0y0

Of course I'm sticking with my PC. I just want something to broaden my horizon a bit. 

@TheDudeOfGaming: No, it's not because of LA Noir. I'd lie if I said it doesn't interest me at all, but it's something close to that. There is a game/franchise which is, in part, responsible for this idea, and it's on both consoles: fuckin' Skate, that's what's up! Also I think many of the XBLA indie exclusives look really interesting.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By blackbird415

@thebatmobile: mmmm pc kind of solves that don't it? and having to pay a monthly fee for something he already isnt exactly applealing

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thebatmobile

@blackbird415: Yeah, you're kind of right. I'm just saying between the consoles. And not all multiplayer games are on the PC.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SlasherMan

Just think about what games you want to play. If most of the games you come up with are console multiplatforms that are not on PC, then get a 360. More often than not the 360 gets the better version, and even when it doesn't it's never anywhere near as bad as the badly ported PS3 games can be (See: Bayonetta, Enslaved, Ghostbusters, etc).
Otherwise, get a PS3. It has more exclusives, which are arguably better than what the 360 currently has on offer. Also, a better d-pad for fighting games. Free online play as well. Though, yes, I do agree with your assessment of the PS Store. It needs a hell of a lot of work, because as it is right now, it's simply a nightmare to navigate and/or use at all.

All depends on what games you find yourself fancying.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By blackbird415

@thebatmobile: true true, cant exactly play halo reach multiplayer without xbox live

@SlasherMan: true that about he ps store. Its not a good system. This recent update is keeping me from transferring any of my games to my psp as well as the the "free games" one of which didnt work for me so I got 1 free game instead of 2 (bit of a random point)

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrKlorox

I never understood the high rate of PC-only gamers that went straight to PS3.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By crusader8463

TRAITOR! FILTHY SCUM! HERETIC! YOU WILL BURN AT THE STAKE FOR YOUR HERESY AGAINST PC!

Now that that's out of the way, I would go with the PS3. Unless you are nuts for Halo and Gears of War the 360 really doesn't have any games you can't get on the PS3 outside of a couple indie games. Where as the PS3 has a HUGE list of PS3 exclusive games that keep getting bigger while the 360 just gets more Halo/Gears and now Kinetic games. Before mine broke I just used my PS3 to play all the console exclusives while my 360 collected dust. Plus I really feel like the whole needing to pay a monthly subscription just to play games online that you do with the 360 is a scam and I refuse to do it.

As for your questions, the external storage one has been answered. As for a media centre, I had the best luck with my PS3. All I had to do was connect it to my network and set up a couple folders and I could stream any video I wanted from my PC to my TV through the PS3. However, when I tried it on the 360 I had to use that dam Windows Media Centre  and it was a pain in the ass. Both to get set up, and to actually use as almost every other video got some kind of codec error and wouldn't load on the 360.

As for the controller, I can't comment about how good it is for fighting games as I don't enjoy that genre, but if you ever played them with any of the older Dualshocks then you know how it feels. I played the MK9 Demo on my PS3 and didn't have any problems with it, but as I said I'm not a fighting guy so take that as you will.

ConstantRa1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By ConstantRa1n
@crusader8463 said:
 Now that that's out of the way, I would go with the PS3. Unless you are nuts for Halo and Gears of War the 360 really doesn't have any games you can't get on the PS3 outside of a couple indie games. Where as the PS3 has a HUGE list of PS3 exclusive games that keep getting bigger while the 360 just gets more Halo/Gears and now Kinetic games. Before mine broke I just used my PS3 to play all the console exclusives while my 360 collected dust. Plus I really feel like the whole needing to pay a monthly subscription just to play games online that you do with the 360 is a scam and I refuse to do it. As for your questions, the external storage one has been answered. As for a media center, I had the best luck with my PS3. All I had to do was connect it to my network and set up a couple folders and I could stream any video I wanted from my PC to my TV through the PS3. However, when I tried it on the 360 I had to use that dam Windows Media Center  and it was a pain in the ass. Both to get set up, and to actually use as almost every other video got some kind of codec error and wouldn't load on the 360.  As for the controller, I can't comment about how good it is for fighting games as I don't enjoy that genre, but if you ever played them with any of the older Dualshocks then you know how it feels. I played the MK9 Demo on my PS3 and didn't have any problems with it, but as I said I'm not a fighting guy so take that as you will.
mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mnzy

If he cares for download games, the 360 has a few pretty great ones. Just Limbo, Trials HD, Super Meat Boy, Geometry Wars 2 from the top of my head. And the new ones comming are also pretty good. To say "360 is only Gears, Halo and Kinect" is pretty dumb, especially if you care about downloadables.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By crusader8463
@mnzy: Not really. As I said, outside of a few small indie games that's all it has. Maybe I'm wrong and have just missed them, but what are some other 360 exclusives that are not indie games? Indie games are fine and dandy, but a handful of short games is not worth buying an entire platform for if it means missing out on all the huge big exclusives the PS3 has. That to me is dumb.
SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SlasherMan
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PeasantAbuse
@crusader8463 said:
@mnzy: Not really. As I said, outside of a few small indie games that's all it has. Maybe I'm wrong and have just missed them, but what are some other 360 exclusives that are not indie games? Indie games are fine and dandy, but a handful of short games is not worth buying an entire platform for if it means missing out on all the huge big exclusives the PS3 has. That to me is dumb.

I would consider Forza to be a major exclusive franchise.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By crusader8463
@SlasherMan said:
@mnzy: You're forgetting that many, if not most, of those indie downloadables have a PC version, too. Even Limbo is rumored to have a PC version sometime soon.
Holy fuck nuts that's awesome! I have been wanting to play that game for a long time. I hope that's true.
fr0y0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By fr0y0
@PeasantAbuse said:

I would consider Forza to be a major exclusive franchise.  

Exactly. 

You see, I've had a really interesting conversation with my co-workers today. They both have a PS3 and a 360. No matter which question I asked or point they made, it all came back to Xbox eventually. 

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any PS3 exclusives I'm really interested in - not since Tekken 6 came to 360 as well. As I said, the Skate series runs on both consoles, too. 

At the end of the day I'm very satisfied with the amount of AAA titles coming to PC and consoles. It just seems like XBLA is the place for console Indie games and smaller diverting titles. 

Also, as a sidenote, Kinect is out of the question, because A) I have no room for it and B) if I had room, there'd still be a fundamental lack of interest. 

So yea. This all sounds like I made my choice, but by all means, please keep the discussion going if you want. I find it highly interesting, but that may be because I'm a PC guy and/or don't read the forums very often. 

Cheers!
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pinworm45

I think you're making the right choice with 360. It's getting less and less exclusives these days but the past library is, imo, better, and most of it can be gotten cheaper now too. In terms of online/digital marketplace, it blows PS3 out of the water IMO.

monkeynuts8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By monkeynuts8

Whatever console has the games you want to play, get that

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SSully

If you have a good PC then PS3 is most likely your best choice just because it has more exclusives then 360. If you have friends with 360s and plan on playing mainly multiplayer games with them, then that might be the better choice. Good luck duder, you will have plenty of fun with either.