Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -

Hey,
After buying a brand new PC with good specs, I was rather disappointed by all the "PC" games, and the overstuff PC Gaming Community, a bunch of nerds who consider themselves better then console gamers because of the fact that they appreciate old games. What is undeniable in there claim is that an oldest an xbox gamer will play is Gears of War, nothing older, while PC gamers still play half life and shit. But maybe its because the PC is quite in new releases front, and only gets a handful of games when console gamers are dying with them.
That by no means shows that I am for the "pc is dying" theory, simply put, its not, the PC is doing fine with the most technically advanced graphics and what not in the industry. Look at valve, for example, when someone says PC is dying to them, they just laugh, all theyre stuff is coming out for PC, including extra content that is only avialable for the PC version. Team Fortress 2 is dead on consoles, (at least on the 360), but on the PC, there is loads of players.
There are a bunch of games that are best on PC, and those include: Far Cry 2, TF2, Fallout 3, and a bunch of other games.
The PC is by no means dying.
Oh, and here are the specs
Dual  Core E8400 @ 3.16ghz
4GB RAM
nVidia 790i MotherBoard
geForce 9600 (2 of em) each @ 512mb
64bit vista...
yeah, thats about it. I'll stick around the PC for a while now I guess

#1 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -

Hey,
After buying a brand new PC with good specs, I was rather disappointed by all the "PC" games, and the overstuff PC Gaming Community, a bunch of nerds who consider themselves better then console gamers because of the fact that they appreciate old games. What is undeniable in there claim is that an oldest an xbox gamer will play is Gears of War, nothing older, while PC gamers still play half life and shit. But maybe its because the PC is quite in new releases front, and only gets a handful of games when console gamers are dying with them.
That by no means shows that I am for the "pc is dying" theory, simply put, its not, the PC is doing fine with the most technically advanced graphics and what not in the industry. Look at valve, for example, when someone says PC is dying to them, they just laugh, all theyre stuff is coming out for PC, including extra content that is only avialable for the PC version. Team Fortress 2 is dead on consoles, (at least on the 360), but on the PC, there is loads of players.
There are a bunch of games that are best on PC, and those include: Far Cry 2, TF2, Fallout 3, and a bunch of other games.
The PC is by no means dying.
Oh, and here are the specs
Dual  Core E8400 @ 3.16ghz
4GB RAM
nVidia 790i MotherBoard
geForce 9600 (2 of em) each @ 512mb
64bit vista...
yeah, thats about it. I'll stick around the PC for a while now I guess

#2 Posted by English (158 posts) -

Yep, we may not get as many great games, and terrible console ports, but when we do get great PC exclusives, they're generally much better then the best of what's on any console.

#3 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -
English said:
"Yep, we may not get as many great games, and terrible console ports, but when we do get great PC exclusives, they're generally much better then the best of what's on any console."
true, like Crysis, and stuff... Gears of War was ported well though, there are some examples of that as well.
#4 Posted by Zebadee (491 posts) -
xplodedd said:
A bunch of nerds who consider themselves better then console gamers because of the fact that they appreciate old games. What is undeniable in there claim is that an oldest an xbox gamer will play is Gears of War, nothing older, while PC gamers still play half life and shit. 
Why do people think pc gamers consider themselves better? I'm sorry but the "nerds" (people who play console games aren't nerds right?) on some forum you were probably reading the posts of don't represent the whole of the pc gaming population. I personally respect the communities that still support and enhance old games, it's just a couple of idiots who go out shouting they are better than everyone else that get noticed and everyone assumes that they represent all pc gamers. 
#5 Posted by Zebadee (491 posts) -
addictedtopinescent said:
"I have a PC and I play most of my games on it, the graphics are better on pc most of the time and for people bitching about console ports with shit controls I use a 360 controller and it all works great."
Yeah same, I own a 360 too so using a 360 controller on the pc isn't a big deal for me. It's like playing an enhanced 360 game for about 10 pounds cheaper.
#6 Posted by banned8921 (1246 posts) -
addictedtopinescent said:
"I have a PC and I play most of my games on it, the graphics are better on pc most of the time and for people bitching about console ports with shit controls I use a 360 controller and it all works great."
I plugged a 360 controller into my pc to play fallout 3 and it was weird, I cant get headshots.
#7 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -

PC Gaming isn't dying. It is evolving. As I've said before, as the bigger companies leave the PC, do you really think there will be no more PC games? The bigger companies (I'm looking at you, EA) have been making crappier and crappier games, anyway. When they leave, smaller developers will take their place. It's already begun. It will potentially be a great opportunity for unique ideas to flourish.

#8 Posted by Zebadee (491 posts) -
Levio91 said:
"addictedtopinescent said:
I plugged a 360 controller into my pc to play fallout 3 and it was weird, I cant get headshots."
Fallout 3 works excellently with the mouse and keyboard, I don't see why you would need to use a controller with it.
#9 Posted by Lunarbunny (1025 posts) -

I still strongly believe that a mouse and keyboard are the premier FPS/RTS controls, but at the same time I have considered console gaming, between the facts of hardware and software incompatibilities and bugs always prevalent with PCs... but at the same time I highly enjoy getting new components and assembling them as well as superior graphics capabilities with near top of the line equipment.

On topic -

I feel that while PC gaming isn't dying, there are many major players in the industry who act like it is. Both GameStop and Best Buy's PC games section has continued to shrink as the console games section has grown, and companies are either going platform-agnostic or ditching the PC platform. Even former PC stalwarts have spread out or jumped ship, mainly id Software (last I heard Tech 5 is going to consoles as well) and Epic Games (the Gears of War port is ridiculously console-ized, and they blame their failure of UT3 on piracy [it was released in a beta state and the dedicated server package was more like late alpha/early beta], and say that they won't be developing mainly for the PC anymore). We still have big players like Valve, who while no longer PC only, have continued to support PC as their flagship platform.

The other thing is that consoles are closed development platforms. While it is true that all three big names are putting some effort into allowing independent developers on their consoles, there is no way to avoid the fact that it requires at least some investment, such as dev kits. PCs, all it takes is a compiler and some knowledge and you can make a game. Then we end up with gems like AudioSurf, and other free options like Warsow.

#10 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -
Zebadee said:
"addictedtopinescent said:
Yeah same, I own a 360 too so using a 360 controller on the pc isn't a big deal for me. It's like playing an enhanced 360 game for about 10 pounds cheaper."
well in cases like gears, you have to wait a year to play the advanced version,
and true, PC gaming is evolving while consoles stay kind of static
#11 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

PC gaming is great if you're into hundreds of low budget european games. They really take advantage of my kentsfield and my 8800 that can play everything on max settings two years later, not that there is anything to play.

#12 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -
keyhunter said:
"PC gaming is great if you're into hundreds of low budget european games. They really take advantage of my kentsfield and my 8800 that can play everything on max settings two years later, not that there is anything to play."
Fallout?
Crysis Warhead?
are those not games?