Peanut Gallery's 2011 Giantbomb GotY Predictions

Avatar image for deactivated-6427167031e01
deactivated-6427167031e01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 49

Last year, I nearly hit a home run with my predictions as to how the Bomb Squad would vote during their 2010 Game of the Year deliberations. Either this proves without a shadow of a doubt that I am the long lost descendant of Nostredamus, or it lends credence to Jeff's statement during a "Jar Time" videocast that the current system set up is flawed and gives away the winners well before the plethora of Giantbomb goodness hits the net.

I have no idea how their system will be organized this year. The following predictions of the Bomb Squad's selections are based largely upon conjecture that, though it is flawed, their system will return in a similar fashion to how it was presented a year ago. This year was substantially more difficult to vote on, as 2011 was one of the best years in gaming ever. Without further delay, on to the future!

Game of the Year Selections - Staff

Ryan - Saints Row: The Third

Patrick - Batman: Arkham City

Drew - Batman: Arkham City

Alex - Portal 2

Brad - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Vinny - The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Dave - Portal 2

Jeff - Mortal Kombat

Yes, there as a great deal of insane titles in that list (Jeff and Ryan's leap out immediately, I'm sure), but that's the fun of 2011, and of this site. There's is nothing stopping these guys from making bizarre choices for their own Game of the Year, so don't be surprised in a year as loaded as this one to see some truly "whacked" Top 10 selections. I'm completely spit-balling for games when it comes to Alex and Patrick for those playing the home game.

Game of the Year Selections - Categories

Best Art Style - Rayman: Origins

Northie - Nathan Drake, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Best DLC - Fallout New Vegas: Old World Blues

Best Download Only Game - Bastion

Biggest Disappointment - Dragon Age II

Worst Game of the Year - The Conduit 2

I am desperately hoping that Duke Nukem Forever does not take Worst Game of the Year (I oddly loved that game for all the wrong reasons...It's a strangely relaxing platformer...)

Game of the Year Selections - Overall

Wii - Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

PC - The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

X360 - Gears of War 3

PS3 - Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

3DS - Super Mario 3D Land

Multi - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Top 5 - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Saints Row: The Third, Portal 2, Batman: Arkham City, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

GotY - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

As Jeff said on the Gametrailer's Game of the Year Bonus Round, Skyrim is the 2,000 pound gorilla in the room. It'll be interesting to see how the glitch-happy tendencies of the PS3 version affect voting. The Bomb Squad has shown itself to be quite willing to overlook Bethesda glitches in the past for the game within (see the year-long love fest with Fallout 3), and I feel it is the least divisive game among the core five Giantbomb employees (Patrick, Vinny, Jeff, Brad, and Ryan).

Potential Suprises

1. Saints Row: The Third steals a lot of air time during deliberations.

2. Skylanders will wander into Jeff's Top 10.

3. Several Top 10's will be missing Gears of War 3, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, and L.A. Noire.

4. Other site's favorite Dark Souls, Ghost Trick, and Minecraft will go largely unmentioned or empty handed.

Let's see how well I do this year...

Avatar image for deactivated-6427167031e01
deactivated-6427167031e01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 49

Last year, I nearly hit a home run with my predictions as to how the Bomb Squad would vote during their 2010 Game of the Year deliberations. Either this proves without a shadow of a doubt that I am the long lost descendant of Nostredamus, or it lends credence to Jeff's statement during a "Jar Time" videocast that the current system set up is flawed and gives away the winners well before the plethora of Giantbomb goodness hits the net.

I have no idea how their system will be organized this year. The following predictions of the Bomb Squad's selections are based largely upon conjecture that, though it is flawed, their system will return in a similar fashion to how it was presented a year ago. This year was substantially more difficult to vote on, as 2011 was one of the best years in gaming ever. Without further delay, on to the future!

Game of the Year Selections - Staff

Ryan - Saints Row: The Third

Patrick - Batman: Arkham City

Drew - Batman: Arkham City

Alex - Portal 2

Brad - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Vinny - The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Dave - Portal 2

Jeff - Mortal Kombat

Yes, there as a great deal of insane titles in that list (Jeff and Ryan's leap out immediately, I'm sure), but that's the fun of 2011, and of this site. There's is nothing stopping these guys from making bizarre choices for their own Game of the Year, so don't be surprised in a year as loaded as this one to see some truly "whacked" Top 10 selections. I'm completely spit-balling for games when it comes to Alex and Patrick for those playing the home game.

Game of the Year Selections - Categories

Best Art Style - Rayman: Origins

Northie - Nathan Drake, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Best DLC - Fallout New Vegas: Old World Blues

Best Download Only Game - Bastion

Biggest Disappointment - Dragon Age II

Worst Game of the Year - The Conduit 2

I am desperately hoping that Duke Nukem Forever does not take Worst Game of the Year (I oddly loved that game for all the wrong reasons...It's a strangely relaxing platformer...)

Game of the Year Selections - Overall

Wii - Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

PC - The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

X360 - Gears of War 3

PS3 - Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

3DS - Super Mario 3D Land

Multi - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Top 5 - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Saints Row: The Third, Portal 2, Batman: Arkham City, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

GotY - Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

As Jeff said on the Gametrailer's Game of the Year Bonus Round, Skyrim is the 2,000 pound gorilla in the room. It'll be interesting to see how the glitch-happy tendencies of the PS3 version affect voting. The Bomb Squad has shown itself to be quite willing to overlook Bethesda glitches in the past for the game within (see the year-long love fest with Fallout 3), and I feel it is the least divisive game among the core five Giantbomb employees (Patrick, Vinny, Jeff, Brad, and Ryan).

Potential Suprises

1. Saints Row: The Third steals a lot of air time during deliberations.

2. Skylanders will wander into Jeff's Top 10.

3. Several Top 10's will be missing Gears of War 3, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, and L.A. Noire.

4. Other site's favorite Dark Souls, Ghost Trick, and Minecraft will go largely unmentioned or empty handed.

Let's see how well I do this year...