People hate patrick?

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By MasterBrief

So I remember a long while ago there was a lot of hate on Patrick and then he went to Chicago some time later and I guess I didn't pay much mind to it since I started listening to the podcast only a month or so after Ryan passed and have been listening to the older stuff retroactively. So what the hell is the deal? What is wrong with Patrick or is this just so childish hate for change to the podcast? Was watching the PAX panel video and how Brad was the least favorite and I can understand that and at one time I may have agreed with that. Back when they were still big into testing the drinks Brad was never really up to try stuff and kind of messed up the groove of things but it all comes down to what they know about games and he is pretty knowledgeable. Patrick has a good knowledge of horror games and what is wrong with the current ones which I can really agree with and he is a funny guy and paired with Vinny on a quicklook it's hilarious.

Of course Vinny is my favorite he is a very energetic and funny guy that is the lifeblood of the podcast as well as Jeff in close second. Seems drew has replaced Patrick sort of and he is great too. Just don't get the hate on change to the podcast. I mean I hate to say this but I like the podcast better with Jeff at the helm, that is not to say I'm glad Ryan is gone because I love him and am sad he's gone but I find that the podcasts run longer, which I like as I listen to them while I work, and they are more off the rails and goofy. When Ryan ran it he kept it fairly short and it was very much on the rails, in an organized manner and very much about games. With Jeff it's more loose and freeflowing. It just works really good overall, I mean the emails for the past couple months have been outstanding. No disrespect meant at all just saying sometimes change isn't all that bad. Just clue me in if there was an actual reason that stemmed this hate fest for Scoops.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I think part of it is that people don't like change. For several years, it was the same, core GB crew, with occasional guest appearances from the Tested guys, or whoever. But then suddenly Patrick appeared, and changed things in ways they didn't like.

And, to be frank, the quality of Patrick's work has increased over time, I'd say his stuff now is a lot better than it was back then.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

People don't like other people sometimes. News at 11.

Eli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Eli

When Ryan ran it he kept it fairly short

Haha dude, they were not shorter when the late Ryan Davis was host. Especially toward the end of his run.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think part of it is that people don't like change. For several years, it was the same, core GB crew, with occasional guest appearances from the Tested guys, or whoever. But then suddenly Patrick appeared, and changed things in ways they didn't like.

And, to be frank, the quality of Patrick's work has increased over time, I'd say his stuff now is a lot better than it was back then.

Right on the nose. Change can be scary and people often prefer what they love to stay the same. Today Patrick is a trusted member of the core GB crew, and I wouldn't have this site without his content and flair.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I quite like him, even if I don't enjoy all his work.

Bipa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some people don't like some people. No point to this thread, just move on.

Eli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

I loved Patrick on G4TV.com's Feedback, so when he joined Giant Bomb back in 2011, that was a welcome addition in my book. I've paid attention to the Giant Bomb guys since 2006 when they worked at GameSpot and was thrilled one of my favorite video game newsmen joined their crew.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People used to not like Patrick because he was a new addition to the group.

Nowadays people don't like Patrick because he's driving for equal rights in the video gaming industry and is openly against any form of online harassment.

Needless to say, some of these people are very misguided in their beliefs.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MannyMAR

I like Scoops he's a good guy, and while I may not agree with everything he says I know he still makes valid points. I will say that Patrick has views that rub some people the wrong way, and I'll say the hate he does get stems from those who are strongly against his stances on certain subjects.

I'm sure that the next person they hire will be as polarizing if not more so than Patrick when time comes.

Lemonhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lemonhead

Since you're asking so directly, I'll give you my direct opinion of why I like Patrick less than the other guys.

Patrick talks way too much. Way, way too much. In the podcasts he ended up dominating too many of the conversations. He interrupts people that are talking, and when someone tries to interrupt him, he talks faster and louder to prevent it.

There, that's my reason. It's not because he was the new guy.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say I love Patrick now, he really grew as an Internet personality after he moved to Chicago. Don't forget that the haters are more outspoken. There are reasons why I didn't like Patrick as much when he first joined, but it definitely grew on me.

Btw, the popularity contest at PAX probably ended the best way possible. Everyone loves Brad, we all know it, seriously. Him ending up last at least saved Patrick and Alex from the spot. I think both of them are awesome, and I really hate to even think of playing favorites.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Patricks written work, I think it's fantastic. There's something about the way he comes across in videos that just rubs me the wrong way though. A clash of personalities, I guess. I certainly wouldn't say I hate him though.

I feel quite bad for him at times actually. He gets a LOT of unwarranted abuse. Like that delusional asshole that left him a death threat in a voice message oO

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Everyone has someone who hates them.

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By aceofspudz

@fetchfox said:

@mooseymcman said:

Right on the nose. Change can be scary and people often prefer what they love to stay the same. Today Patrick is a trusted member of the core GB crew, and I wouldn't have this site without his content and flair.

This canard keeps popping up. It's wrong in two different ways.

Firstly, if there was a natural dislike for new things people would not be clambering for them to hire Danny O'Dwyer away from Gamespot. The reason for this is because most people recognize that he fits in well with the crew. Patrick doesn't.

Patrick is not a core member. There is a huge, palpable gulf between his attitude and the rest of them and it's always apparent whenever they get together in the same room. He's not Giantbomb material, and he never was, and he never will be.

I'm not saying he's a bad journalist, or a bad guy, or that I hate him. I'm saying he doesn't fit in with the crew, and I have to speculate that part of the reason he left for Chicago was him recognizing this and realizing a need to make his own path.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Patrick is in a discussion he interupts everybody and retells what they just said with more "flavor words" in it rarely adding anything but bullshit. I feel when he argues for something he just nitpicks for stuff he can blow out of proportion finding arguments where logic and meaning is long lost.With that said i dont hate the man on any level i just loose interest when he talks and the conversation looses its flow for me.

Also for every day im starting to realize just what Ryan meant for this website and its very sad indeed, nothing can replace him it seems and he was very important for the dynamics of this group. He and Jeff was the solid ground on wich whatever nonsens could lean on and make sense.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There was a good while where Patrick was putting out the best content on the site. The quality of his work and content only went up when he moved to Chicago.

People who don't like Patrick are really missing out on those Spelunky streams.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wjb

I felt so bad when Dave (?) announced that Brad was last (out of 12?). There are a few things I don't particularly care for about the guy, but man, he's still Brad!

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The reason I don't like Patrick is simple, he has never made any content that I liked. I don't think he is funny and I don't find his opinions interesting to listen to.

w1n5t0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By w1n5t0n

think this post on the flappy bird article sums up my feelings, and those are not feelings of hate.

No Caption Provided
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

The funniest part is that people actually think that Jeff hates patrick and all that he stands for but doesn't fire him because

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to be one of those people that did not care for Patrick and it went back to his 1up yours days. But he has really worked me over and now I enjoy him much more and have no problem with him at all.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By EpicSteve

If you look back at his work he really never wrote anything controversial. Even the things he said that might come off as controversial, misinformed, or "wrong", there isn't a lot of that. If you take in his volume of content, there isn't a lot of social issue stuff when you stack that up against the volume of random shit like Spookin' with Scoops or regular news stuff.

The "Social Justice Warrior" criticism against him is just wrong.

He's an incredibly talented and intelligent dude. My criticism against him is actually the opposite of the "haters". For my taste, he's too reserved. He dips his toes in some pools of social and game criticism but never dives in. I only say that because I think he has more interesting things to say than what he's putting out there.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By development

@vierastalo said:

People used to not like Patrick because he was a new addition to the group.

Nowadays people don't like Patrick because he's driving for equal rights in the video gaming industry and is openly against any form of online harassment.

Needless to say, some of these people are very misguided in their beliefs.

I likely don't agree with many of the things those people say, but dismissing them like this doesn't help anyone. They don't dislike him for calling for equal treatment in the industry, they dislike the way he calls for it and/or the specific things he calls out. Those are the things they disagree with. Sure, there are the small minority who genuinely don't want equal treatment of women or minorities, but most of them do. For example, I think it was really stupid of Patrick to apologize twice, on 2 different literal stages, for jokingly Tweeting "die in a fire," but I fully support measures being taken for equal treatment in many other ways. I regularly watch Bombin' the AM and his daily-gaming runs, and watched his Dark Souls playthrough, and I like the guy, but I disagree with a good many things he's said and done and think some of them do more harm than good for the cause he's fighting for.

@w1n5t0n That person said it better than me.

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AlecOfTheWest

Because Patrick and Alex are about as entertaining as a brick wall, and their content seems to be all that the site even releases anymore. Patrick's also done a pretty good job of turning GB into this the official gaming site of Tumblr, singlehandedly ruining what was once a pretty good forum community.

masterrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By masterrain

I personally think he's cool, and writes very well written articles. However he's definitely different to the other GB crew, I think its a generation gap, a different type of journalist. I think Patrick would be able to flourish in a 'younger' and more experimental site like Polygon or Gamasutra.

At a more 'intellectual' sort of site he could write about stuff like internet abuse, social justice and how dogs are mistreated in games and be praised rather than hated. I think he much prefers writing those essays and doing TED talks rather than dressing up like a hotdog. There is NOTHING wrong with trying to do something worthwhile, everyone wants to feel like that they are making a difference and I've got respect for how far he has come.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lemonhead: I will agree with that but at some point they all tend to do that sometimes, except Drew, he barely fucking talks half the time. I would say at times he is a bit too proper in how he explains things and will over do it sometimes as where the other guys are cut and dry most of the time.

@wjb: Yeah I don't get why they even did that I mean they are all adults and can take it and it's not like they are saying one is horrible its just favorites but still. It's better when they are all together and same goes for the quick looks, they just play off each other so well. The Spelunky HD one is a great example.

@eli: Very true but in the beginning they were pretty usually around an hour and a half.

@fetchfox: I saw some comments on the recent PAX video on youtube about him that's why I asked but does seem to be in the past now for the most part which is good.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Everyone has someone who hates them.

I hate myself, so this checks out.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By ArtisanBreads

There's plenty of people in games media I don't like so why couldn't Patrick be any different? I don't enjoy listening to his perspectives (or find them enlightening) and I don't find him funny. Basically that simple.

It's not hate. I just don't really consume anything on the site that's "his thing".

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@fetchfox: I saw some comments on the recent PAX video on youtube about him that's why I asked but does seem to be in the past now for the most part which is good.

Well there's your problem

sprode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Patrick and I don't give a flying fuck how conservative visitors feel. Deal with it.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By The_Ruiner
Loading Video...

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People hate everything. There are even people who hate video games, can you believe it?

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35  Edited By Zevvion

Patrick is very outspoken and opinionated. He often immediately says what he thinks. Nothing wrong with that, but some people get annoyed by that attitude. I think it's understandable, because thoughts change. It sometimes makes him seem like a hypocrite. It is difficult to name examples that are to the point, you should read/listened to all sources for it to make sense but I'll try to give some:

With the Phil Fish cancelling Fez 2 deal, Patrick wrote a piece about the journalist/critic relationship with developers, stating that it a 2-way street and you should be understanding of a developer not wanting to share certain information. Couple of months later he tried to interview a developer who declined the offer. Patrick then went to Twitter to share the guy's name and publicly 'shame' him for refusing.

He did more stuff like this like most recently he decided to not go into discussion with a GiantBomb user about a certain post, but instead share the post to his Twitter followers and basically implying how dumb of a post it was.

I can understand all of it from Patrick's point of view, but if you imagine some people listen more to this stuff than anything else, it is easy to see it annoy them eventually.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This will not end well.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because hes not ryan, brad, jeff or vinny. at least it used to be. that reason.

now its probably because he is opinionated (not saying it is a bad thing)

i dont watch much of patricks stuff but lets just admit it. with the way the sites been this year without patrick we would have no content. just a quick look a week or something.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ProfessorEss

I don't hate the man I just don't agree with his over-simplified, black-and-white take on issues and I worry that despite his intentions he will end up doing more harm than good. Tackling sensitive issues will definitely score you some haters but I think it's his lack or tact and his (to quote EternalGamer2) cocksure naivete that makes them flock to him in such numbers.

It also doesn't help that he, on a regular basis, puts his trolls and haters on display for all to see. I agree that we need to do more than ignore but I'm a little surprised that the battle against jerks on the internet is being led by someone who doesn't even abide by Troll Rule #1 (you all know what it is).

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

He generally seems to take controversial stances on things and they disagree with his opinions but don't know how to deal with that so: hate.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Actually, most people here DO like Patrick, and those that don't pretty much make up whatever justification in their head and somehow believe everyone is with them.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By PimblyCharles

I'm surprised the mods have allowed this thread to go on this long...

P.S. I like Patrick and think he's a great fit for Giant Bomb. He says what's on his mind without hesitation. Also how else would we get our horror in on this site? Brad? I don't think so.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like how some people on this thread have described womens rights and anti- harassment as "controversial topics"

i think some people hate him because they know he's right about it but have no recourse so they get mad instead. you how they say once you start yelling you lost an argument? its kinda like that.

o man i dont like where this thread is going....

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pimblycharles: Can I even take it down? I got my answers so no need for this to be up anymore and have people arguing.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like a lot of his videos and he seems really passionate whenever he speaks but I don't think he's a very good writer really

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@masterbrief said:

@pimblycharles: Can I even take it down? I got my answers so no need for this to be up anymore and have people arguing.

no way man, hate hate hate hate!

Just kidding, but I did notice a general trajectory of people beginning to like Patrick more and more as his Goatee developed. Yes, I'm saying that Patrick Kleppek is Giant Bomb's William Riker

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unclebenny: Ha the beard theory is a very real thing. I don't like that I can't delete my blogs or topics. Had one years ago that went south quickly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since you're asking so directly, I'll give you my direct opinion of why I like Patrick less than the other guys.

Patrick talks way too much. Way, way too much. In the podcasts he ended up dominating too many of the conversations. He interrupts people that are talking, and when someone tries to interrupt him, he talks faster and louder to prevent it.

There, that's my reason. It's not because he was the new guy.

If it makes you feel better, I'm pretty sure he's addressed this and knows about it and constantly tries to work on his excitement/enthusiasm.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Patricks alright but what about that Brad aye? Fuck that guy.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ProfessorEss

@otakugamer said:

clearly passionate about what he does and I don’t really see that with the rest of the crew quite honestly.

Definitely his finest quality and definitely something Giant Bomb the world needs more of :)