Avatar image for optimusprime223
optimusprime223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

Edited By optimusprime223

Before I start this I would like to point out that I mayself used to work at a GAME in my local shopping centre, and I loved it. I am not trying to knock everything single person working at those type of stores, but rather the company policy to hiring, so with that in mind here we go!

Last night I took Guitar Hero: World Tour back to the store. I played it for about an hour with my girlfriend and nephew, and discovered that one of the cymbals dosent work and there is something rattling in the guitar. So I walked in, dropped it down and said it dont work can I have my money back?

Happily they agreed and it was refunded to a gift card. I then proceeded to trade in my launch day PSP, so I could get a PSP3000. I spoke to a different sales advisor behind the counter and got a bundle that included Lego Batman and Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters. She disappeared for a good five min looking for a Ratchet and Clank box, which I found on the shelf behind me. Needless to say I got a little worried, but that wasnt the killer, that could have happened to anyone.

The killer came when she sorted everything else out and was ready to start processing the sale. Here is the conversation that followed:

"Can I also get a copy of Gears of War 2 please?"

"For the psp?"

"What?"

"For the psp?"

"Gears of War 2?"

"yeah for the psp?"

"no the 360..."

"Oh ok"

Now unless I have completely mis-read things, isnt Gears 2 the biggest game of the holiday season?!? and certainly the last 2 weeks, surely she should know what format its on, especially since there is only 1 version?

It's this that sums up the hiring policy for games retailers such as GAME. The employee's dont have to play games, or be interested in them at all, hell, I manged to get my future sister in law a job there by saying you dont need to know about games. I have had managers there give out wrong info on games and hardware to customers, and the customers believed them. I have actually taken over from a sales assistant while they were helping a customer before now, and done a better job, and I wasnt even working there!!!!

While I did work at that very same store, the assistant manager told me in not so many words I was bad at my job. I was the only one reading games magazines on my lunch for every format at the time and the only one with every console at the time. My knowledge was unsurpassed in that store, with several of the staff not even knowing the different genres of games, despite them being quite broad.

My point is shouldn't being a gamer be a pre-requiste for a job at a games store? maybe I am being idealistic but they constantly bombast us with signs saying 'Ask for assistance' but what good is that when the assistance knows less than the customer? If stores like GAME want to survive, they have to be the 'Go to' for people who want to purchase games.

And that means having staff who are gamers, who read the magazines, who look at the websites, prehaps even a dedicated team of games journalists who update an intranet site on a regular basis. Again this may be me being idealistic, and its a vision that can never come to pass, but surely this would make GAME and its ilk better places to shop, increasing the number of people who go there and, in turn, increase profits.

What do you think good people? a vision of a beautiful tomorrow? or the mad rantings of a bitter idealogist? discuss.

Avatar image for optimusprime223
optimusprime223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By optimusprime223

Before I start this I would like to point out that I mayself used to work at a GAME in my local shopping centre, and I loved it. I am not trying to knock everything single person working at those type of stores, but rather the company policy to hiring, so with that in mind here we go!

Last night I took Guitar Hero: World Tour back to the store. I played it for about an hour with my girlfriend and nephew, and discovered that one of the cymbals dosent work and there is something rattling in the guitar. So I walked in, dropped it down and said it dont work can I have my money back?

Happily they agreed and it was refunded to a gift card. I then proceeded to trade in my launch day PSP, so I could get a PSP3000. I spoke to a different sales advisor behind the counter and got a bundle that included Lego Batman and Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters. She disappeared for a good five min looking for a Ratchet and Clank box, which I found on the shelf behind me. Needless to say I got a little worried, but that wasnt the killer, that could have happened to anyone.

The killer came when she sorted everything else out and was ready to start processing the sale. Here is the conversation that followed:

"Can I also get a copy of Gears of War 2 please?"

"For the psp?"

"What?"

"For the psp?"

"Gears of War 2?"

"yeah for the psp?"

"no the 360..."

"Oh ok"

Now unless I have completely mis-read things, isnt Gears 2 the biggest game of the holiday season?!? and certainly the last 2 weeks, surely she should know what format its on, especially since there is only 1 version?

It's this that sums up the hiring policy for games retailers such as GAME. The employee's dont have to play games, or be interested in them at all, hell, I manged to get my future sister in law a job there by saying you dont need to know about games. I have had managers there give out wrong info on games and hardware to customers, and the customers believed them. I have actually taken over from a sales assistant while they were helping a customer before now, and done a better job, and I wasnt even working there!!!!

While I did work at that very same store, the assistant manager told me in not so many words I was bad at my job. I was the only one reading games magazines on my lunch for every format at the time and the only one with every console at the time. My knowledge was unsurpassed in that store, with several of the staff not even knowing the different genres of games, despite them being quite broad.

My point is shouldn't being a gamer be a pre-requiste for a job at a games store? maybe I am being idealistic but they constantly bombast us with signs saying 'Ask for assistance' but what good is that when the assistance knows less than the customer? If stores like GAME want to survive, they have to be the 'Go to' for people who want to purchase games.

And that means having staff who are gamers, who read the magazines, who look at the websites, prehaps even a dedicated team of games journalists who update an intranet site on a regular basis. Again this may be me being idealistic, and its a vision that can never come to pass, but surely this would make GAME and its ilk better places to shop, increasing the number of people who go there and, in turn, increase profits.

What do you think good people? a vision of a beautiful tomorrow? or the mad rantings of a bitter idealogist? discuss.

Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Giantkitty

In order to have an accurate assessment, you'd probably have to be an "insider" to know why she was hired. Was she "qualified," but new? (I'm guessing shooters aren't her area of expertise). Was she the manager's niece? Did more qualified people apply? Was she hired to prevent the store from becoming a sausage party?

Another problem is that it is a minimum wage job. I like video games, but going to a ~$6/hour job where in a day you'd have to deal with idiots, bratty 9 year old boys, and a manager who's likely to be a prick doesn't appeal to me. They could offer the job at a higher wage and attract more qualified people, but the owner/retail chain would have to take a wage cut (yeah right) or prices would have to be raised, and since people would rather have a cheaper product than better service, these things happen.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By brukaoru

I don't really set high expectations on workers in retail chain stores. Most of them have don't have much knowledge on the products their store is selling. Even so, a retail worker is only told so much without asking questions and I would imagine half the time when they want to ask a question, there's no one around to answer them.

I think you're ideas would be great, but it's more of a "if this was a perfect world" mentality. Also, just because they would hire gamers doesn't mean they would be good at retail, and as shown here, it works vice versa.