• 92 results
#1 Posted by Akyho (1712 posts) -

#2 Edited by Akyho (1712 posts) -

So in a thread about a guy getting screwed over at Gamestop and paying $5 more in a confusing way.

Alot of people are coming out and saying how annoyed they are about unsealed new copies of games in the store. This is a fact in Britain alot of time. You dont get a sealed copy of a game. Since they keep the disc's and manuals separate from the box, just keeping empty boxes for display to prevent theft.

I just want a better understanding on people's views of this. As its pretty much the norm in my experience. Either a shop that sells CD's DVDS and Games or a super market tends to have the boxes sealed, however not always the case.

#3 Edited by mandude (2666 posts) -

It did annoy me, but growing up in a house with a young baby, I eventually learned that no matter how hard I try to keep things nice, they will always end up sticky and disgusting.

I also learned that if one of my games goes missing, I should probably check behind the skirting boards. :(

#4 Posted by Supercancer (183 posts) -

Are we talking unsealed and some of the content that would otherwise come with the game being left out? I mean if I'm buying a used game then yeah, it's going to be unsealed, but if I were buying a brand new copy and it was unsealed then it would be fucked up.

You can't beat that brand new plastic smell, man.

#5 Posted by Shivoa (648 posts) -

Yep, it was one of the things that drove me away from retail and into online as soon as it was viable (Hell, before online it was Special Reserve mail order; although back then game boxes were proper boxes, shrink-wrap was rare, and all this were fields so slightly tangential) was the lack of faith in new copies being new copies. I think those anti-theft overcases are a good thing (when you've got £35 boxed games on the shelves then they're obviously a sensible plan) and Microsoft obviously thinks customers should demand proof of new, sealed, genuine products with those strips down the opening seam on all game cases (I assume that's a global thing and not a UK think).

#6 Edited by ShadowConqueror (3110 posts) -

No seal, no sale.

#7 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

It does bother me. Though it usually isn't enough to turn me off a purchase if it is the only option in the store. It doesn't happen too often though because if I don't buy a game on release, EB isn't gonna be the store that has the cheapest copy when I do decide to pick it up.

#8 Posted by StarvingGamer (8599 posts) -

I look at the disc to make sure it's pristine and if it is, then I don't worry about it. But usually I'm only buying a game from the store as a last resort when I need it NOW and I'll settle for anything.

#9 Posted by Akyho (1712 posts) -

@Supercancer said:

Are we talking unsealed and some of the content that would otherwise come with the game being left out? I mean if I'm buying a used game then yeah, it's going to be unsealed, but if I were buying a brand new copy and it was unsealed then it would be fucked up.

You can't beat that brand new plastic smell, man.

Its a new game but they have spent time taking shrink wrap off and opening the box, taking all contents out and storing them in sleaves. The disc and all codes cards are in the manual, they slip the disc out pop it into the case and the manual with codes. Slap a own store seal of "You have 28 days to bring this back, with the seal unbroken for a full refund." and that's it.

No content missing just was opened before you bought it.

#10 Posted by ajamafalous (12222 posts) -

I refuse to buy a copy of a game that isn't new and sealed.

#11 Edited by CaLe (4072 posts) -

I've only had this happen once this generation, when I bought SSX from a super-market. I had to wait at the register for like 5 minutes while the person ran all the way to some secret area of the store to get the contents of the box. I even had to hold the box open while they put the disc and manual in. They're lucky I was desperate to play the damn thing or I would have just went somewhere else.

#12 Posted by Demoskinos (15280 posts) -

As long as everything is in the case it doesn't bother me too much. Although I hate those damn stickers that gamestop uses to seal the cases.

#13 Posted by Jrinswand (1713 posts) -

I can't remember the last time I actually walked into a store to purchase a video game.

#14 Posted by crusader8463 (14433 posts) -

I hate when they put those annoying stickers on the case more then anything else, but to be honest it's been so many years since I bought a physical game at a store that I don't really have an opinion one way or the other.

#15 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5480 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

As long as everything is in the case it doesn't bother me too much. Although I hate those damn stickers that gamestop uses to seal the cases.

My Gamestop asks me if I want the sticker on. I tell them no. It's pointless.

#16 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1814 posts) -

@Akyho: I buy digitally for most new games, so of course is doesn't bother me.

#17 Posted by JoeyRavn (4996 posts) -

I've bought some used games, many of which were very hard to find new, but I buy new almost every time. The whole "moral" thing with used games doesn't bother me, though.

#18 Posted by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

I only buy them if they look real good.

#19 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8609 posts) -

If I'm buying new, I'm buying sealed.

Toy stores and stuff usually seperate them, gamestores and media markets don't, so those have my preference.

#20 Edited by MattyFTM (14440 posts) -

It doesn't bother me. As long as it works and is in brand new condition, I don't care whether it has been unsealed or not. It used to be super common practice in the UK. Every game store did it with every game. Even supermarkets did it. I haven't seen it happen recently though. But maybe that's because I mainly buy PC games now, and since they have CD keys that could be lost or stolen, it's more important to keep them sealed. Either way, I don't care, as long as I get the game in pristine condition it's fine by me.

#21 Posted by RecSpec (4049 posts) -

I buy a lot of "new" games from Gamefly and that's how they come. At least I know I'm the first one to play it.

#22 Edited by BulletproofMonk (2738 posts) -

As long as all the content is in there and the disc is in perfect condition, it doesn't bother me.

#23 Posted by Eddie_and_the_Fist_Monkeys (84 posts) -

Upon receiving a new release a store will strip a number of copies to be used as display cases, code the game for stock referencing and price the case to be put on the shop floor. The remaining copies remain sealed and are sold sealed it is usually only when there are no other copies that you would receive a game who's case has been used for display. It does bother me, however childish it might seem there is the feeling that you are receiving a slightly inferior product to that which you should. It doesn't bother me enough to leave the store and go elsewhere, if there were any problems I would simply return it.

#24 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5826 posts) -

I prefer it if my games are sealed, but honestly it's no big deal if they're not.

#25 Posted by Skytylz (4042 posts) -

If it's condition is used then I'm fine with it.

#26 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

an unsealed copy isn't new.

once you open the seal, its no longer a new copy.

#27 Edited by ViciousReiven (825 posts) -

Our GameStop only does this for the display copy, and since there is only one display box for each game that means you never get an unsealed copy unless you're literally buying the last one they have.

#28 Posted by bobomega (23 posts) -

There is just something that makes it feel less new when they have to pull the disc out of a drawer. gamestop always felt super shady in that regard as to if it was in fact new or someone traded in a very good condition game. the number of PS2 games i have with a "new" sticker attached directly to the case is pretty high though.

#29 Posted by Kaiserreich (765 posts) -

So if I bought a game ate Gamestop ripped off the plastic and asked for my full $60 back they would give it to me? No? Then fuck you Gamestop I'm not paying full price for a game you would normally call 'used.'

#30 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1626 posts) -

I haven't had it happen to me for the better part of a decade, but if a store tried to pull that I might just leave and buy it somewhere else. I know that's irrational in a lot of ways, but it bugs me.

#31 Posted by Ares42 (2814 posts) -

Stripping the guts from every box used to be standard practice here for years and I ran into several cases of getting obviously worn discs, codes/CD-keys already being used etc. Thankfully things have changed.

#32 Posted by Dimsey (967 posts) -

As long as the game is in good condition I don't really give a hoot if it's been separated from the box. 

#33 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6406 posts) -

I refuse to pay for a game labeled as "new" when the seal is not there. This happened to me twice when I was attempting to buy Demon Soul's and I just wound up going to my local small business game store (where they, in fact, serendipitously had a sealed copy of it ready for the same price) instead because I could not support that shady business practice.

#34 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

I refuse to buy a copy of a game that isn't new and sealed.

Yep.

There's a reason why they come from the factory with manufacturer-specific sealing: so they can't be tampered with. As far as I'm concerned the second you open it, it's been tampered with and I don't want it. Plus, it's also the experience of it being fully sealed and fresh-pressed from the factory. When it's been opened and messed with, there's no telling how many fucking greasy, poopy, fast-food fingers have been all over that shit. No thanks.

#35 Posted by laserbolts (5384 posts) -

As long as all the stuff that should be in the case is in there and the disc is fine it isn't a huge deal. I do prefer some shrink wrap though. I bought hot pursuit "new" at eb a couple weeks ago and when I got home the disc was definitely used at some point. Game works though.

#36 Posted by BeaverBacker95 (24 posts) -

Just buy new from Amazon. They are always sealed.

#37 Posted by Quarters (1947 posts) -

Doesn't bother me in the least.

#38 Posted by ComradeKhan (686 posts) -

When I went to buy a copy of Demon's Souls from Gamestop i tried to get a used copy (since the game had been out for long time the used copy was way cheaper) but the clerk told me they were all out of used copies and they just had 1 new copy i could by. So i bought the supposedly "new" copy and what he gave me was an unsealed box without a manual... If i came into their shop with an unsealed box they would tell me "that's obviously used since its unsealed" but they are allowed to sell me an unsealed game for the price of a new copy...?

#39 Posted by jtman54179 (179 posts) -

@ComradeKhan said:

When I went to buy a copy of Demon's Souls from Gamestop i tried to get a used copy (since the game had been out for long time the used copy was way cheaper) but the clerk told me they were all out of used copies and they just had 1 new copy i could by. So i bought the supposedly "new" copy and what he gave me was an unsealed box without a manual... If i came into their shop with an unsealed box they would tell me "that's obviously used since its unsealed" but they are allowed to sell me an unsealed game for the price of a new copy...?

All logic falls to the wayside when Gamestop's involved.

#40 Posted by MikkaQ (10346 posts) -

I refuse to buy it for new prices when they do that, I ask for a used price and if they can't offer that I go to a game store that doesn't fuck with the product.

They could easily scratch the disks, or get a thumbprint on them, plus there is no guarantee for the customer that the codes in the box haven't been used by the staff for DLC and shit. So they might as well call it used.

Also since Gamestops don't take open box games for refunds, I can't act on any buyer's remorse afterwards. That's why I stopped buying at Gamestop, they wouldn't let me return a game I never used or opened, but that they opened, so they considered it unsealed. This was in like 2007 or something, and I hear their policies have been getting more and more annoying since.

#41 Posted by Terramagi (1158 posts) -

Keep the boxes behind the counter if you're worried about theft. I'm not paying full price for you to screw with my disc.

This is why I use Steam.

#42 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

It bothers me, but really only because the paper sleeves they keep the disks in leave marks. This annoys me, because it's not new at that point.

I keep my disks cleaner than a store ever could, and I don't even clean them...

#43 Posted by 49th (2891 posts) -

dont care didnt read op

#44 Posted by N7 (3708 posts) -

Doesn't bother me. I once bought a copy of Dead Space that they used in the console kiosk and it wasn't scratched or anything so I didn't care.

#45 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4904 posts) -

As long as it's still brand new with the manual, I don't care.

But those fucking stickers, don't even get me started on those.

#46 Posted by bananaz (262 posts) -

The only new boxed games I get are ones I pre-ordered or are on sale for $20 when no used is available. Otherwise, it's used or digital for me.

Point is, the condition of the box is not what I'm buying.

#47 Posted by Phatmac (5731 posts) -

I only buy free ranged video games.

#48 Posted by cthomer5000 (893 posts) -

I refuse to buy a an open game as new. That being said i can't recall the last thing I bought from Gamestop at this point, so it's not really an issue for me. Other stores manage to sell new games without opening them first. Also an overwhelming majority of my purchases are online.

#49 Posted by Enigma777 (6061 posts) -

Sealed = ok. Not seald = fuck you dirtbag!

#50 Posted by Dixavd (1400 posts) -

It definitely bothers me. Until last Summer I didn't care at all (which is good since they did it way more then in the UK than they do now) until one specific incident happened in a Best Buy (in fact, it was the first Best Buy in the UK):

I walked in and go to buy a couple games. In particular, I pick up a pre-owned copy of WipeOut Pulse for the PSP. I bring the case to the counter where the woman at the counter is having a conversation with another employee as she picks out the UMD from the area behind the counter. She then returns with the closed box, puts it in a bag (with the other games I had bought) and then prints out a receipt and then hands the bag to me and the reciept to me Dad (who I think was buying me them because I did so well in my Exams then or something). We leave and go to my Dad's car. Since I like to check these things, at the first moment I had to check (so once i could put it down and properly open it inside the car) I open all the boxes and check that everything is inside. Worryingly, the UMB in the PSP case wasn't there; so we got out and hurried back to the store to ask about it. The staff their didn't believe us, instead telling us that we are obviously lying and simply trying to leach money out of the company while hiding the game in the car. (Something that I point out is ludicrous since if were to do that then I would complain about one of the new games having a disk missing and not the Pre-Owned one - the New ones all cost more than £35 and the Pre-Owned game was £8). They continued to not believe us. Eventually they conceded and asked for the box back and that they would refund the price since it was so small (they wouldn't do anything else - not even check to see if they could see the game anywhere) as my Dad was so livid that it was clear that he wasn't leaving the building until they did something to imply that he wasn't a liar.

As we left though, I saw the game on the floor underneath the woman's desk. I point it out to my Dad who (due to him being so annoyed at the woman's refusal to even feign searching for the thing) said that they didn't deserve the money and that we should leave and he would get it at another store (even if it was a higher price).

Now you might be thinking: "but that was a pre-owned game and clearly just a stubborn employee for whatever reason". But the real reason that it makes me hate the idea of them doing the same with with new games is that the only reason that she would give me the money back (I think it was her manager who told her to eventually) was because it was a very cheap Pre-Owned game. If it was a new game, we wouldn't have got the money back at all. Not only that, eventually they would have found that disk underneath her desk. Since it was Pre-Owned, it doesn't matter if they put it back in the Pre-Owned slots to then sell again as the game has probably been dropped and scratched mildly before in normal use. If it was new then they would then sell a different customer a game which they say that is new which has not only been taken out of the box (but has also been dropped on the floor and left there for a minimum or an hour (that is how long it was from us leavong the store the first time, to us leaving the final time; imagine if they didn't find it until a week or so later).

I feel like a Pre-Owned copy could have these sorts of problems but it is negated by the consumer buying it at a lower price (so there is a lower risk, and they don't expect as a high a condition of the game). But when you take the game out of its case when it was new, then the same risks are brought onto a product that costs a lot more to people. So I am definitely against it now.