• 74 results
#1 Posted by Downloaded (176 posts) -

I've started to frequent the forums more in the last couple of weeks than I ever used to since first coming to GB sometime in 2008, and it seems to me like a shockingly high number of people have premium membership badges. Are there any statistics available to see how many people are paying for premium content? I'm quite curious. Never really seemed worth it to me.

#2 Posted by BisonHero (6428 posts) -
@Downloaded I think during the Big Live Live Show Live each September, they have a live tally that shows the current members, and increases each time someone signs up. I think I'm remembering that correctly? I think the number of premium users is like 16,000-18,000, though not all of them use the forums. Not sure how many users are on the forums overall.
#3 Posted by AlexW00d (6234 posts) -

You're not getting a proper selection of the GB userbase if you just use the forums. People more dedicated to the site will use their forums, but will probably only account for like 10% of the userbase? Maybe not even that.

#4 Posted by Kidavenger (3530 posts) -

For the Big Big Live show, they had a subscriber counter and I think it went just a little over 19k, there are 158k users, so a little over 10%; but I think many of those 158k users are not active/spam accounts.

When they do live feeds, there are usually 2-3x the number of people watching an open stream vs subscriber only, that is probably a better estimate.

#5 Posted by JoeyRavn (4964 posts) -

@Downloaded said:

Never really seemed worth it to me.

Most of us see the Membership as a way to give something back to Giant Bomb for all the thousands of hours of entertainment throughout these years. The premium content and video archives are an added bonus. Nothing shocking with that.

#6 Posted by Synaptic (308 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

For the Big Big Live show, they had a subscriber counter and I think it went just a little over 19k, there are 158k users, so a little over 10%; but I think many of those 158k users are not active/spam accounts.

When they do live feeds, there are usually 2-3x the number of people watching an open stream vs subscriber only, that is probably a better estimate.

yes and no, i'm rarely up for watching the entirety of a livestream and I subscribe. Archives are easier to get through, so I usually just pop in to see what's up. I'm sure there are more people like me

#7 Posted by Downloaded (176 posts) -

@Kidavenger: Thanks for that. Sounds more reasonable. Still, 19k subscribers at $50/year put's them at a little under a million bucks a year. Not bad guys...not bad.

#8 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@Downloaded I think during the Big Live Live Show Live each September, they have a live tally that shows the current members, and increases each time someone signs up. I think I'm remembering that correctly? I think the number of premium users is like 16,000-18,000, though not all of them use the forums. Not sure how many users are on the forums overall.

Fuck thats like 1 million dollars of sub money each year.

#9 Posted by Thompson820 (410 posts) -

@Downloaded: Considering fluctuating subscribers, silver memberships vs gold memberships and advertising revenue I'd say it'd would extremely difficult to get an accurate estimate. Remember too that we're only talking about income, profit is a very different story. Still, a million a year sounds like a pretty nice figure.

#10 Posted by Fattony12000 (7281 posts) -

SHOULD.

HAVE.

BEEN.

A.

POLL.

#11 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

I'd be great if they could share that.

#12 Posted by BisonHero (6428 posts) -
@Thompson820

@Downloaded: Considering fluctuating subscribers, silver memberships vs gold memberships and advertising revenue I'd say it'd would extremely difficult to get an accurate estimate. Remember too that we're only talking about income, profit is a very different story. Still, a million a year sounds like a pretty nice figure.

Yeah, they do lose some amount of the revenue from premium subs when they have to send out thousands of t-shirts (though some percentage are too lazy to use it.
#13 Posted by Downloaded (176 posts) -

@Thompson820: Sure, revenue and profit are very different numbers, but even if you cut that number in half, they still gain ad revenue and merch sales. Considering these guys write about video games for a living, they could be doing a lot worse.

#14 Posted by ShockD (2401 posts) -

Perhaps @Marino could give us an insight on this one?

#15 Posted by BeachThunder (11821 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@BisonHero said:

Sorry, I had to...

#16 Posted by Damodar (1337 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@BisonHero said:

That's million bucks?

#17 Posted by Soap (3577 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@BisonHero said:

Sorry, I had to...

Damn, beat me to it lol

#18 Posted by Baillie (4077 posts) -

10 - 13% of the community is premium, judging by the numbers mentioned.

#19 Posted by gkhan (419 posts) -

@Downloaded said:

It's totally worth it.

#20 Posted by Blastroid (257 posts) -

@gkhan said:

@Downloaded said:

It's totally worth it.

I agree also it is not just about what you get it is also supporting a great design of a site and staff.

#21 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

You'll see a larger force in the forums for sure. But that's a skewed way of looking at it. There are a ton of folks that use the site that never read a thread. I would imagine if you took literally everyone that frequently visits the site, the percentage would be extremely low. But the same goes for practically every site with paid options.

#22 Edited by AlexW00d (6234 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

That's just registered users. According to Quantcast, the site has 2.4 million unique visitors a month (unless I am reading it wrong), 1 million in the US, and 1.4 from outside the US.

E: It also still has it as a part of Whiskey Media group :(

#23 Edited by Kerned (1170 posts) -

@Blastroid said:

@gkhan said:

@Downloaded said:

It's totally worth it.

I agree also it is not just about what you get it is also supporting a great design of a site and staff.

Yes, yes, 1000x yes. I'll be happily renewing my subscription this year, and I plan on buy a gift sub or two as well, more to support the guys than for any other reason.

#24 Posted by pandorasbox (303 posts) -

I do the monthly subscription because i don't make enough money to where taking a (50?) dollar hit all at once is viable. Technically i pay GB a shit ton more money every year, and i never reap any of the benefits that the yearly subscribers get. It's a huge bummer, but whatever.

#25 Posted by Xeirus (1297 posts) -

@Kerned said:

@Blastroid said:

@gkhan said:

@Downloaded said:

It's totally worth it.

Yes, yes, 1000x yes. I'll be happily renewing my subscription this year, and I plan on buy a gift sub or two as well, more to support the guys than for any other reason.

Yes, It's def worth it. I don't use the site as much as I did previously. But during their sale last year I bought like 3 years sub time, it's just too cheap not to get it during the holiday, though I understand is people can't afford it, if you can it pays for itself.

As for the people saying "They make over a million dollars from from subs". That's true, but they also have employees to pay and a lot of times they use their own money to buy games when publishers refuse to send a review copy. Not to mention it's a business, you better be making profit if you want to stick around.

This website is the best thing to happen to game coverage in a decade.

#26 Posted by MrHammeh (199 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:

@Downloaded said:

Most of us see the Membership as a way to give something back to Giant Bomb for all the thousands of hours of entertainment throughout these years. The premium content and video archives are an added bonus. Nothing shocking with that.

ditto
#27 Posted by morrelloman (608 posts) -

haha never seen the that's million bucks thing before

#28 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

I think most people who care enough to post regularly on the forums just like the site enough to subscribe.

#29 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

@Xeirus said:

This website is the best thing to happen to game coverage in a decade.

#30 Posted by Swoxx (2992 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

You're not getting a proper selection of the GB userbase if you just use the forums. People more dedicated to the site will use their forums, but will probably only account for like 10% of the userbase? Maybe not even that.

What weirds me out is when I see people with a postcount less than 10 with a premium badge, the fuck is up with that?

#31 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

I pirate my subscription.

#32 Posted by JYoung (151 posts) -

Well, as one of those premium members with a low post count, I'm here for the content and to occasionally skim the forums. I was a big poster in smaller forums in the past, but there's something just a little too impersonal about the forums on such a big site like this. Or maybe I'm intimidated because I don't know anyone.

#33 Posted by sam1am7000 (99 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

SHOULD.

HAVE.

BEEN.

A.

POLL.

and

@JoeyRavn said:

@Downloaded said:

#34 Posted by hydrotherion (51 posts) -

Subscribed to support GB and Tested. I don't post much but I do read a lot on the GB forum. I like to watch everything when they archive it since it's pretty late when GB do live shows here in Belgium.

#35 Posted by Scottish_Sin (223 posts) -

@Swoxx said:

@AlexW00d said:

What weirds me out is when I see people with a postcount less than 10 with a premium badge, the fuck is up with that?

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Some people just don't like interacting on forums and prefer to keep their activity to the site and it's content.

#36 Posted by Swoxx (2992 posts) -

@Scottish_Sin said:

@Swoxx said:

@AlexW00d said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Some people just don't like interacting on forums and prefer to keep their activity to the site and it's content.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. It just surprises me.

#37 Posted by ki11tank (682 posts) -

they shouldn't share that info.

people become bitter about money and expect different things. trust me.

#38 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

@Swoxx said:

@AlexW00d said:

I was paying for premium for a quite a while before I posted anything in the forums.

#39 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

Probably because the people who post a lot on the forums are much more passionate about Giant Bomb than people who post occasionally or not at all, so there's a higher likelihood that they would have bought a sub.

#40 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Blastroid said:

@gkhan said:

@Downloaded said:

It's totally worth it.

Your giving them extra money but CBSi pays their cheques, it's not like they are independent. Its simple for me I pay when their is content I want to watch like the Random PC Games, if their isn't that content I unsubscribe until there is.

#41 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

If someone wants to gift me a subscription I'd be all for it but with Christmas coming up and a bunch of Birthdays it's just not in my budget. Maybe next year. One million is a pretty decent amount. Plus all the shirts and stuff people buy. The guys are doing alright. Also if they buy a game with their own money can they just claim it come tax time?

#42 Posted by gkhan (419 posts) -

@Blastroid said:

@gkhan said:

@Downloaded said:

It's totally worth it.

I totally agree, I have no problem paying just to support the site and staff, but even putting that aside the content alone is worth the money.

#43 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2239 posts) -

@pandorasbox: Now I don't know what kind of economic situation you are in, but paying $60 a year from a 4.95/month subscription isn't exactly a shit ton more than $50/year.

#44 Edited by jmood88 (394 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@Downloaded said:

Pretty much.

When I first donated, I was rarely on the forums and only watched videos occasionally but the podcast alone was worth the $50.

#45 Posted by Salarn (465 posts) -

Paying $35 a year is almost nothing. Considering I watch more Giantbomb videos than anything cable has to offer, it's a way better deal.

#46 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

I always like to think just how many hours of entertainment I get from GB compared to TV, movies, and games. I think GB surpasses all three by 9000% and I pay about $65 a month in TV alone so paying $50 a year is more worth it than any other form of media I consume. I guess I'm lucky that I can get enjoyment out of a couple of dudes talking about stuff.

#47 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@JYoung said:

Well, as one of those premium members with a low post count, I'm here for the content and to occasionally skim the forums. I was a big poster in smaller forums in the past, but there's something just a little too impersonal about the forums on such a big site like this. Or maybe I'm intimidated because I don't know anyone.

Welcome to the forums all the same, duder. Good to get some more outside perspective.

#48 Posted by pubbles (142 posts) -

@Swoxx: Sometimes the forums suck as a place, I for one don't frequent them at all often -- but I did sign up for a yearly subscription from pretty much day one. Most of the value I get from it is simply from the videos..

#49 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

#50 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (618 posts) -

@jmood88 said:

@JoeyRavn said:

@Downloaded said:

Pretty much.

When I first donated, I was rarely on the forums and only watched videos occasionally but the podcast alone was worth the $50.

Same here. Have tended to avoid forums everywhere I've gone, but have participated more recently. And i've always enjoyed the content that the GB crew has produced so I'd like to show some support for them.