Persona 4

slayerofheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

Edited By slayerofheroes

So I've been thinking lately about getting Persona 4. I've never played a Persona game before but I have heard a lot of praise about this game. I'm a big RPG fan, mainly of the Tales series, I'm also a fan of the Final Fantasy series as well. But lately I've been craving for a new series and a guy I know keeps recommending me the Persona series.

What do you people think? Is Persona 4 worth it?

slayerofheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By slayerofheroes

So I've been thinking lately about getting Persona 4. I've never played a Persona game before but I have heard a lot of praise about this game. I'm a big RPG fan, mainly of the Tales series, I'm also a fan of the Final Fantasy series as well. But lately I've been craving for a new series and a guy I know keeps recommending me the Persona series.

What do you people think? Is Persona 4 worth it?

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Pepsiman

The review and blog I wrote about it probably indicate I think it's worth a purchase. No need to know the events of 3, either, so it's all self-contained. And at $40 for a 70 to 100-hour game, I'd say it's a great deal.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

As much as I hate Persona 4, it's a damn good game.  
Why do I hate it?  Because it should be on the Ps3 or 360.  Not the Ps2.  It could have been that much better with this generation's capabilities.

But yea, it's a damn good rpg.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#4  Edited By LordAndrew

It's Atlus. They don't have the budget to make full use of the current gen's capabilities.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

I'm sure they do.  I'm not saying they have to make a FF quality production, but, well, take for example that zombie bikini game coming for the 360-- that's really just ps2 with better textures and a better lighting system.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By fr0br0

Don't listen to Smug. Just because this game is on the PS2 doesn't make it any less of a great game. I haven't finished it yet, but it's already on my top 3 for my favorite games in 2008, and yes, that includes PS3 and 360 games. And I'm not a big RPG fan, but the games character's and story progression really captured me. I say it's a must have.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

^ I said it's a damn good game.
It's just imagine it for the 360/ps3.

Really can't wait for Persona 5.

tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By tokyochicken

I dunno, I think its just that Atlus really can't afford to go PS3 at the moment, either way it doesn't matter Atlus works with their limitations and give the persona series a very nice style to it. If you want a game with a lot of avaliable content this game will last you a long time.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Pepsiman

There's speculation that developers like Atlus and NIS don't really have the capitol to afford developing for the PS3 and 360 and considering their internal offerings on those systems (ie: stuff they haven't published for other developers) are relatively modest, the theory is that they'll just focus on portable systems and the Wii predominantly for the next few years at least. And to be honest, I can't really blame them. Yeah, games like Persona would be a really awesome spectacle if they were a visual and aural tour de force on the current generation of systems, but there are few RPG developers which can afford such extravagence at the moment, with Square-Enix and Namco-Bandai being among the few I can think of off the top of my head. I don't see this trend of more modest JRPGs disappearing anytime soon, to be frank. But that's okay. Games like Persona 4 have shown that even if technological potential isn't fulfilled, you can still have one hell of a ride from start to finish and that's enough for me to be happy.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By kush

Persona 4 is absolutely worth it...I don't want to go into too much detail and possibly spoil anything for you, but it's without a doubt the best game I played in 2008!

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By BoG

The game is fantastic. I'm losing sleep over this game because I want to know how it all ends. Buy it.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kush

Also, most Atlus games end up becoming hard to find and if you don't end up liking it...you will likely be able to get a good amount of money for it. You would have to be crazy not to like this game though... :P

finalkross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By finalkross

I bought this but haven't started playing it yet. I also bought FES...from what I gather, Atlus makes some pretty good RPGs.

Also, about the complaint about this not being on Next Gen, the game was developed for the PS2 and released in Japan much earlier than here. To simply change it to HD for a US release is not worth it. Plus, I doubt HD graphics would have changed much. A lot of time, games that get up-ported to HD do not turn out too well. It does get annoying that people complain about graphics, when it doesn't mean everything.