Personal "Top 10 games of last gen" deliberations. WIP

EternalMesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Edited By EternalMesh

First I will start with creating my list from games that stand out, in my opinion, from last gen.

Keep in mind this is not an objective best of list, it is my personal top 10.

If I missed some important games, i may have forgotten, or I merely didn't play. Feel Free to make suggestions.

Next step, shaving this list down.

• The Last of Us
  • Uncharted 2
  • Batman Arkham Asylum
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Bioshock
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Assassins Creed: Black Flag
  • Saints Row: The Third
  • Spec Ops: The Line
  • The Walking Dead
  • Mortal Kombat

Runners up:

• Tomb Raider
  • Infamous

Cut:

• Assassin's Creed 2
  • Assassin's Creed 2: Brotherhood
  • The Beatles: Rock Band
  • Batman Arkham City
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • Borderlands
  • Brothers
  • Burnout Paradise
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  • Dead Space
  • DmC: Devil May Cry
  • Fez
  • Guacamelee
  • God of War 3
  • God of War Ascension
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Guitar Hero Metallica
  • Halo Reach
  • Infamous 2
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us
  • Journey
  • Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • Limbo
  • Mass Effect
  • Mega Man 9
  • Mega Man 10
  • Metroid Prime 3
  • Okami
  • Pac-man Championship Edition DX
  • Peggle
  • Portal
  • Portal 2
  • Prince of Persia
  • Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands
  • Rayman Legends
  • Rayman Origins
  • Rock Band
  • Rocksmith
  • Saints Row 4
  • Shadow Complex
  • Skate
  • Skate 2
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Uncharted
  • Uncharted 3
  • X-men Origins Wolverine
  • Wii Sports
Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

No Souls game *internet rage*

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

No Souls game *internet rage*

I thought we had enough of that with Game of the Generation.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

super Mario galaxy is not a good game so cut thatthat

maybe cut Prime 3 as well because controls

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#5  Edited By Slag
nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By nightriff

I'm here to beat the Asyras Wrath drum.

No MGS4? No GTA4? XCOM? Skyrim?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@nightriff: Lot of pretty good but not great games.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluefish said:

I really don't get yours either...

But I suppose that's why they're called 'opinions' right?

Yup! My tastes are admittedly a little weird on some things.

and I freely admit I've missed a lot of important games since I haven't played them yet so it would could change when I eventually get to them.

What would be an example of something off yours? Pretty curious what your tastes are now, since it's obviously pretty different from mine.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@slag: You get points from me for not listing a Bioshock game, though anti-points for various other choices. This generation kind of sucked actually so if someone did a top 5 list and actually picked 5 of the best games that would work wonders. Even a top 10 list is going to range wildly in quality, let alone 25.

For example:

1. Last of Us

2. Dark Souls II

3. Witcher 2

4. Dark Souls

5. Uncharted 2

6. Black Flag

So already I have problems because neither Black Flag nor Uncharted 2 had the best multiplayer in their respective series and the gameplay difference in singleplayer isn't necessarily that huge (maybe it is for Black Flag) to make up for it. Dark Souls, while a top 20 game is not really close to Dark Souls II, especially if you don't count the DLC. The Witcher 2 is extremely solid but still noticeably worse than the top 2 games, adjacency implies comparative value.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Seppli

Battlefield: Bad Company man! It's been a revelation. So far ahead of its time. Direction-wise, it's still my favorite Battlefield to date. Your list is definitely short on Battlefield games.

I'd love a remake of Bad Company 1, focusing on more granular and dense destruction as seen in Rainbow Six: Siege, and truely deformable terrain akin to Spintires. The rest, playercount, balancing, settings etc. - exactly the same, just with more guns and gun customization and the gunplay of more modern Battlefield games.

Goldrush everybody! It's back!

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HeyGuys

Dark Souls

Bayonetta

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Dragon Age: Origins

Street Fighter 4

Journey

Portal

Rock Band 2

Saint's Row: The Third

Super Meat Boy

Haven't played everything so no Uncharted 2, Mass Effect 2, and so on.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, I know people will stop reading mine as soon as they see Mass Effect 3 as #1.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: Just put Vagrant Story as number 1 for the hell of it.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Corevi

I saw this thread a few hours ago and decided to make my own list, it's pretty standard except for a few oddities.

I don't play multiplayer so that doesn't matter to me in the slightest.

1. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Best Indiana Jones game ever.

2. Mass Effect 2

It lived up to the most amazing trailer I've ever seen.

3. Assassin's Creed II

Peak of the AC series storywise. Very little of the precursor bullshit and almost entirely focused on the plight of Ezio, who unlike Altair, actually has a personality. Light years ahead of the original in gameplay as well. Obligatory stabbing dudes in the face and neck UH UH UH UH UH.

4. Alan Wake

Twilight Zone meets Twin Peaks, if that's enough to peak your interest then I suggest you play this game right now.

5. Vanquish

What I love about this game: rocket slide into jump kick, flip off and dump an entire mag (clip?) of shotgun shells into their face, all in slow mo.

6. The Last of Us

I actually felt something at the ending which is basically unheard of. The gameplay is super frustrating though (the deer and the university being the standouts of irritation).

7. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Pretty much all I remember from this game are the codecs/audio logs and ROCKET PEACE, but those are enough to know that this is one of the best games of all time.

8. BioShock Infinite

No not the main game, Burial at Sea. Dark and disturbing in a way that the original Bioshock threatened to be but never quite got there.

9. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Everything about this game is rad as hell. The core concept, the moveset, the enemies, the bosses and of course the music.

10. Fallout: New Vegas

Take the tried and true Bethesda open world formula and let some actually good writers make content for it. This is what happens. The DLC is also the highlight of this game as it introduces a lot of characters that were supposed to be in Van Buren and fleshes out the Couriers place in the world.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: Just put Vagrant Story as number 1 for the hell of it.

Yeah, they put out an HD remake on PSN in some hidden country no one knows about here. It's valid.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By penguindust

It's as good a list as any, I guess. I like RPGs, so the absence of those games on your list leaves me rather indifferent. But, who am I to judge? Good on you for liking what you like.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: You get points from me for not listing a Bioshock game, though anti-points for various other choices. This generation kind of sucked actually so if someone did a top 5 list and actually picked 5 of the best games that would work wonders. Even a top 10 list is going to range wildly in quality, let alone 25.

For example:

1. Last of Us

2. Dark Souls II

3. Witcher 2

4. Dark Souls

5. Uncharted 2

6. Black Flag

So already I have problems because neither Black Flag nor Uncharted 2 had the best multiplayer in their respective series and the gameplay difference in singleplayer isn't necessarily that huge (maybe it is for Black Flag) to make up for it. Dark Souls, while a top 20 game is not really close to Dark Souls II, especially if you don't count the DLC. The Witcher 2 is extremely solid but still noticeably worse than the top 2 games, adjacency implies comparative value.

yeah that's why I just went by what I personally enjoyed the most, because there is a lot I haven't played yet (including over half your example list) and well as you pointed out because it's really hard to rate games from gen 7 given the variety of DLC and modes AAA games come with these days.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lnin0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Looks like you tossed a couple titles in there to make it look like it was a well rounded list, but it reads more like a "my favorite franchises" than "best of a generation".

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lnin0: Well it does say personal.

Simzyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

1. Persona 4 Golden - Defiantly counts. I only played Persona 4 on the PS2 in 2012 and I have to put this game in the list somehow.

2. Mass Effect 2

3. Dark Souls/Demons Souls - I really can't decide!

4. Halo 3

5. The Witcher 2

6. Fallout: New Vegas

7. Portal

8. Fire Emblem: Awakening

9. Dragon Age: Origins

10. Pokemon: Black/White

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

• Dark Souls
  • Dark Souls II
  • Mass Effect
  • Mass Effect 3
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within
  • Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  • F.E.A.R.
  • Mirror's Edge
  • Crackdown
  • Fallout 3

Not enough spots. This generation was beyond awesome. I could make a top 30 list and still feel there should be more room.

EternalMesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EternalMesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluefish: I'm also curious about your taste in games.

Jazz_Bcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jazz_Bcaz

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen The game that holds a special place in my heart. I couldn't tell you why, or I could, extensively, for days but it's my number 1. @slag Sup bro.

Dark Souls The game that popularised From's uncompromising philosophies and built a cult following. It's extraordinary.

Minecraft went and changed everything, and it's only just begun. Can't wait to play the games the kids playing this now will go on to create.

Uncharted 2/The Last of Us The former really put Naughty Dog on the map and the latter was about as close as gaming can get to a Citizen Kane moment, whatever the hell that means.

Saints Row 3 had me in stitches like no other game. Features some of the most iconic missions and characters in recent gaming.

Portal Between the tired memes it spawns and the pure genius, I prefer to remember the pure genius.

Bioshock I despise Infinite.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent This game was an immense amount of fun in my first year at uni, and brought to my attention the rise of the youtuber. Pewdiepie owes a lot to this game, for better or worse.

Wii Sports Not going to pretend I wasn't swept up by this fad at the time. Gaming is still reeling in the fallout.

Limbo/Journey The indie darling had to be on here somewhere.

I tried to consider each games place and effect on gaming when choosing these, while pouring in a large helping of personal opinion. Let me know what you think I guess.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

Do we really need another game of the generation thread? We've had a ton of these and I think it's been pretty well established what any sort of game of the generation list from this community is going to look like. Dark Souls will be the passion pick for many, but in the end Mass Effect 2 have the most top spots.

We've been through this whole song and dance before, and it wasn't even that interesting when it was actually relevant.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#29  Edited By BeachThunder

Is...is Fezf short for Fez Project DIVA F?

EternalMesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: so don't click threads that say "games of this gen" or something similar? I'm enjoying making this list.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mass Effect 1-3 - I simply can't talk about one Mass Effect without mentioning the other, so yeah lol. This series simply made some of the best characters you will find anywhere in the sci-fi genre and story/ plot/lore was so well crafted that it sits at the top of gaming epics. At the end of the day it was a fun ride playing as Shepard, we will miss him/her.

Mortal Kombat - AHHH I can't believe how fun and exciting MK9 was/is, I've followed MK since it's inception and looking how it basically grabbed all of what made MK...well MK and took it to the next level was just awesome. Seriously MK9 took MK 1-3 storyline and presented it so well unlike every fighting game before it and just took off from there. Also the gameplay was so refined compared to past entries it was seriously a pleasure just looking at people play it.

Uncharted 2 - talk about a thrill ride from start to finish, seriously the game just amped it up to 11.

God Of War 3 - it finished what I consider the perfect trilogy(I prefer ME series but that had its flaws). The conclusion to Kratos story was just something else to be honest, it felt as if a giant amongst men was coming to an end and so it did. It took everything that was build up by the first 2 and just made it smoother and just so fluid, plus it was F'ing pretty lol.

Grand Theft Auto 5 - simply put the funniest game I've ever played, I swear I couldn't stop laughing from start to finish (with the occasional pause to breath). From Lazlo doing his dance routine to Trevor wearing shades and his sweat mullet, it was all just fun and games.

The Last of Us - It was scary, emotional, and tense. There's a moment in the game which your in a building trying to escape a bunch of Clickers(?) and I started walking and running and running and suddenly I bumped into one of those one hit killers. I yelled, my sister yelled and my brother woke up from his slumber and I just shot the Clicker and with one hit I killed it. That's The Last of Us for me, just one huge intense, emotional ride and when it ends it left me thinkings on how exactly did I ever get to this point.

Gears Of War 3 - fun, fun, fun and more fun. I can't recall when was the last time I had so much fun with split screen co op like I did with Gears 3(that and Left4Dead) there's no other way to explain it outside of fun. Oh and the plot of the game was very well presented, probably the only one of the series which rivaled Uncharteds presentation.

Mario Galaxy 2 - I remember playing MG1 and feeling that I wanted more, more of the wtf moments of platforming and that's exactly what I got from its sequel.

Fallout 3 - too many things to say about this game, but one things for sure, there all good.

Heavy Rain - a game that starts with it's plot and ends with it, and thank god it was good. It's simple, the game rewards your smarts and quick thinking, while following it's own pattern of story. The characters at times feel flat(due to its funny voice work) but they can also be very compelling and the look of the game is fantastic. This is one of the few games that captures the look of a film and takes it's "crime" genre seriously, which was just something needed at the time of its release.

Those are my ten, although they may change due to how awesome this past gen was :).

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1.dark souls 2

2.diablo 3

3.nba 2k13

4.borderlands 2

5.farcry 3

6.fallout new vegas

7.dragons crown

8.skyrim

9.last of us

10.dragon age origins

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By bluefish

@slag: This was a longer post about some of my faves, but I did an actual list in the next post and cut this one down.

I'm sure people will pooh-pooh my choices (opinions am-i-rite?) but we love what we love and they're choices I've sat with for a long time and can confidently defend the virtues of.

So yea.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bluefish

@eternalmesh: On closer reading your list wasn't as far off from my own tastes as my first, knee-jerk reaction led me to think, there were just some omissions that I got caught up on. But as you've said, we haven't played everything nor should we all feel the same about everything.

That would lead to a very boring medium. :p

My Top 25 of the gen that I'm figuring out right now in no order:

• Uncharted 2
  • Bioshock
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • Alan Wake
  • Blur
  • Crackdown
  • Halo 4
  • Braid
  • Bastion
  • Limbo
  • Gears of War 3
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Bayonetta
  • Ico/Shadow Of the Colossus HD
  • Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
  • Far Cry 2
  • PGR4
  • Journey
  • The Darkness
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • X-Com: Enemy Unknown (haven't played 'within')
  • DmC: Devil May Cry
  • Rez HD
  • Orange Box
  • Saints Row The Third

So yea.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluefish said:

@slag: This was a longer post about some of my faves, but I did an actual list in the next post and cut this one down.

I'm sure people will pooh-pooh my choices (opinions am-i-rite?) but we love what we love and they're choices I've sat with for a long time and can confidently defend the virtues of.

So yea.

I saw part of it before the edit.

I think your choices are fine and I think most people would honestly. I didn't see many games that had a critical rating below a 80 on metacritic on your list, or many that people would pooh-pooh (I had a couple on my list fwiw). Personally I think your choices while maybe different than mine in titles, are not that different in style. So even though you don't get mine, I feel like I get yours.

And in many cases I may end up agreeing with you because looking at your list , over half of them I haven't even played. So once I do I could change my mind on my list. Honestly for those of us outside the press, I feel a lot of time these lists are almost won and lost at the time of purchase. e.g. I don't own and probably won't ever own Blur, so I won't ever truly know if I agree with you.

The only ones that I have played off your list that I would take issue with is Far Cry 2, and that game is very good with some neat innovations (like the way the map is used), and the little I've played of Bioshock: Infinite which feels too derivative to me of the original Bioshock (and opinion which could change when I really eventually give it a full playthrough). I actually didn't enjoy Braid much at all, but I didn't play it in context, which I think is very important to understanding that game's greatness. I think that game would have felt a lot more novel & amazing in 2008 when modern indie games were relatively a novel concept than 2014 (which is when I played it for the first time) where they are so commonplace many of the original pioneer indie developers are now on their second title.

But again we're talking about the difference between very good and best, which is a thin line indeed and of course extremely subjective.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By frymillstrum

Just what immediately jumps off the top of my head when i think about this:

Mirror's Edge

Uncharted 3

Gears of War 3

The Last of Us

FEZ

Dark Souls

Shadow Complex

Fallout 3

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Portal 2

Gone Home (kind of a cheat)

Braid

Infamous 2

Rayman Legends

Dead Space 2

Super Meat Boy

Skyward Sword

Mega Man 9+10

Obviously there are tons more, probably some more suited than some of what I've listed here but there is minimal thought gone into this.

EternalMesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Updated

This is starting to get difficult lol

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bluefish

@slag: Well ok then! Good, this was nice and civil. :)

ps. you would probably not even get to really appreciate BLUR anyway as the online community is basically dead. Far Cry 2 I fully know is a love it or hate it game but it serves me something I've never really gotten elsewhere.

@eternalmesh Make it a bullet point list, it'll reduce it in size by about %50

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

With a very small amount of thought put into it, and no particular order:

• Dark Souls
  • Spelunky
  • Journey
  • Mass Effect 2
  • The Witcher 2
  • Uncharted 2
  • The Last of Us
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Portal
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

• Alan Wake
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn
  • ES: Skyrim
  • Fallout 3

EternalMesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Civ IV (released in '06 so it counts!)
  2. Fallout 3
  3. Skyrim
  4. Dark Souls
  5. Braid
  6. Hotline Miami
  7. The Walking Dead
  8. Mass Effect 2
  9. Rogue Legacy
  10. Saints Row The Third