Roughly converted from euros, here's a selection of things I spent expendable income on last month, each worth about 5 dollars or more (I am not a wealthy person, just a regular student):
- Quarter pounders (maybe one a week)
- Cheese (mmm.. blue cheese. the stinky stuff. Two doses of this)
- Sausages. Too many sausages.
- A crappy plastic water pistol to spray my dog
- Beer/Cider (5 euro a pint. Probably about twenty of these over the course of the month. This doesn't include misc. cans)
- Taxi journeys (from the town back into my apartment, I dont drive. 6 euro a pop. 5-ish times, easily could have walked)
- Phone credit
- General crappy take-away food
- Magic the Gathering cards (impulse buy every time I go to the store, prob around 5 packs a month)
- Rolling tobacco ( EU4.25 a pop, 4 of these a month)
- A dozen foam toy planes (I wanted to throw them all off the roof at once. figured it would look cool. It was a big flop.)
- Two DVD rentals (The Happening, coz lol, and Rollerball. about 3 hours of "entertainment", kept both for a week)
- A dumb t-shirt featuring a bird wearing a top hat and dressed up like an old-timey gentleman
- A lot of other stupid shit
- Giant Bomb sub
Now, while my list might not be representative of your average GB community member, you can see why I think the 5 bucks a month for a GB subscription is easily the best value on that list. Out of all my expendable income purchases, the GB sub has given me in the last month at least 15 hours of distraction ( videos that I ACTUALLY watched, not counting ones I didn't) .
If I put the same amount of effort complaining about the value of all those other things as some people expend complaining about GB, I would be committed.