#1 Edited by Rabbykayn (225 posts) -

His home town..

http://www.petaluma360.com/article/20130711/COMMUNITY/130719897/1362?Title=Founder-of-Giant-Bomb-video-game-site-dies

"Ryan Davis didn't set out to be a celebrity, but his way with words and larger-than-life personality made him an Internet star, with fans from all corners of the globe.

Davis, a nearly lifelong Petaluma resident, was one of the most recognizable figures at video game website Giant Bomb. He died unexpectedly at home July 3, provoking an outpouring of grief and love from fans of his video-based reviews and his free-form weekly podcast, a rambling three-hour chat with his friends and business partners at the site."

#2 Edited by Rabbykayn (225 posts) -

It's a really nice piece with quotes from Jeff, Ryan's wife and dad.. so they were interviewed.

#3 Posted by PollySMPS (225 posts) -

Man, still hard to believe I'm having those up and down moments I've had from losing friends and family in real life. One minute it's okay and I can laugh with and at all the great things he left for us, another minute I'll see or read something that causes the sadness to bubble to the top again. Stupid emotions! Stop being so emotion-ey!

A great little piece though. Thanks for sharing.

#4 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

One of the best articles I've read about Ryan.

#5 Posted by BisonHero (6545 posts) -

That's a nice piece. I imagine he wasn't some big celebrity around Petaluma, so it's nice that he got a detailed obituary so some people in his community can know. He deserves to be remembered.

#6 Posted by Ksaw (343 posts) -

Nice article and I love the picture they used.

#7 Posted by HibikiRush (153 posts) -

Well written piece, start contrast from that Hollywood junk blog post. The writer really went out of the way to detail a lot about Ryan's life and what made him so great. I even forgot about the hummingbird mask until I read this... Sigh.

#8 Posted by DougQuaid (1274 posts) -

Ryan Davis, dressed as a pirate.

#9 Posted by Landmine (525 posts) -

"The family plans a private memorial service later this summer, his father said, though the staff at Giant Bomb is considering holding an online memorial service for Davis' friends and fans."

I hope they do have some kind of online memorial service.

#10 Posted by buft (3318 posts) -

Ryan Davis, dressed as a pirate.

yeh i thought the same thing, more like Ryan Davis wearing an Eyepatch

#11 Posted by Monkeyman04 (1139 posts) -

That was a really well written article. My mind still thinks this is some twisted joke that the punchline has yet to be said to.

#12 Posted by Rick_Fingers (524 posts) -

Great piece, got me teary again

#13 Posted by hollitz (1527 posts) -
#14 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

Man, still hard to believe I'm having those up and down moments I've had from losing friends and family in real life. One minute it's okay and I can laugh with and at all the great things he left for us, another minute I'll see or read something that causes the sadness to bubble to the top again. Stupid emotions! Stop being so emotion-ey!

Don't sweat it. You're not the only one. The That's So Ryan video went from making me laugh really hard to tearing up at the last shot. It's weirded me out how much I've been thinking about it these last few days.

#15 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

A great article, for sure. Still having a hard time coming to grips with the fact that Ryan is actually gone.

#16 Posted by amlabella (323 posts) -

Fantastic article, thanks for pointing that one out.

#17 Edited by Rabbykayn (225 posts) -

@amlabella: no problem. It really is a great piece.

#18 Edited by ultrapeanut (385 posts) -

Ugggggh, I remember him talking about that train trip on UPF. It sounded like a great honeymoon and he seemed so enthused. God damn it. :(

It is a nice writeup, however brutal it is still reading people talk about him in the past tense.

#19 Posted by YoThatLimp (1910 posts) -

@pollysmps said:

Don't sweat it. You're not the only one. The That's So Ryan video went from making me laugh really hard to tearing up at the last shot. It's weirded me out how much I've been thinking about it these last few days.

Man, I seem to leave the site long enough to focus on real life - check giantbomb and feel shocked and upset all over again. Still really weird we won't hear from him again.

#20 Posted by Rabbykayn (225 posts) -
#21 Edited by Nicked (248 posts) -

That was nice to read. It still hasn't entirely sunk in yet. I did get a chuckle out of them characterizing the Bombcast as 3 hours of rambling nonsense, which is something I think Ryan would have approved of.

#22 Posted by LegendaryChopChop (1210 posts) -

Short but sweet, fittingly acumen to how Ryan's life was.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'm glad he got to go to Disneyland again with his wife in his last months again, but I am extremely saddened by his train trip dream not being realized.

We'll never forget you Ryan.

#23 Posted by thatdutchguy (1273 posts) -

Very nice of them to do this.

#24 Posted by Milkman (16810 posts) -

@mariachimacabre said:

@pollysmps said:

Man, I seem to leave the site long enough to focus on real life - check giantbomb and feel shocked and upset all over again. Still really weird we won't hear from him again.

Been a similar cycle for me. I'll push it out of my mind for awhile then I'll remember again and it still doesn't feel real.

#25 Posted by Aviar (436 posts) -

That was a really nice write up. You can tell the writer actually took the time to get to know the facts about Ryan.

#26 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

That was a simple, but really nice article.

#27 Posted by the_purgatory_station (409 posts) -

That was a really nice article.

#28 Posted by blacklab (1557 posts) -

I really hope they have something public for all of Ryan's fans. He touched so many people in so many ways.

#29 Posted by Slag (4418 posts) -

That was a super nice writeup! Far better than the ones in the national pubs. The writer did a nice job encapsulating a great man who is unusually hard to encapsulate.

#30 Posted by development (2355 posts) -

@landmine said:

"The family plans a private memorial service later this summer, his father said, though the staff at Giant Bomb is considering holding an online memorial service for Davis' friends and fans."

I hope they do have some kind of online memorial service.

Yeah, that would be so amazing. But whatever they're comfortable with is fine.