Petition to get Reggie Fils-Aime on Super Smash Bros 3DS!

lennyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Petition is surprisingly popular.

View

here

This has already nearly 40,000 signatures. Sorry if this is old news, but funny news nonetheless.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd play that game.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

This is funny, considering Reggie just said this:

How much do what fans want or say influence your decisions? [Operation Moonfall and Operation Rainfall are cited as examples here.]

I have to tell you—it doesn’t affect what we do. We certainly look at it, and we’re certainly aware of it, but it doesn’t necessarily affect what we do. I’ll give you an example. I mentioned earlier that our head of product development had a bet on X versus Y—we also had a bet around localizing Xenoblade.

I wanted to bring Xenoblade here. The deal was, how much of a localization effort is it? How many units are we going to sell, are we going to make money? We were literally having this debate while Operation Rainfall was happening, and we were aware that there was interest for the game, but we had to make sure that it was a strong financial proposition.

I’m paid to make sure that we’re driving the business forward—so we’re aware of what’s happening, but in the end we’ve got to do what’s best for the company. The thing we know [about petitions] is that 100,000 signatures doesn’t mean 100,000 sales.

Also, the idea of Reggie in Smash is garbage.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is funny, considering Reggie just said this:

How much do what fans want or say influence your decisions? [Operation Moonfall and Operation Rainfall are cited as examples here.]

I have to tell you—it doesn’t affect what we do. We certainly look at it, and we’re certainly aware of it, but it doesn’t necessarily affect what we do. I’ll give you an example. I mentioned earlier that our head of product development had a bet on X versus Y—we also had a bet around localizing Xenoblade.

I wanted to bring Xenoblade here. The deal was, how much of a localization effort is it? How many units are we going to sell, are we going to make money? We were literally having this debate while Operation Rainfall was happening, and we were aware that there was interest for the game, but we had to make sure that it was a strong financial proposition.

I’m paid to make sure that we’re driving the business forward—so we’re aware of what’s happening, but in the end we’ve got to do what’s best for the company. The thing we know [about petitions] is that 100,000 signatures doesn’t mean 100,000 sales.

Also, the idea of Reggie in Smash is garbage.

Ridley was never going to be in Smash in the first place. I think Reggie being in a game is a novel idea. He basically is a character already, it can't be that much harder to put him in a game.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@missacre said:

Ridley was never going to be in Smash in the first place. I think Reggie being in a game is a novel idea. He basically is a character already, it can't be that much harder to put him in a game.

What does Ridley have to do with anything? And I still think the idea of Reggie in Smash is garbage.

consoleui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should just release a Mario style platformer starring Reggie on the e-shop.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh god

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zeik

@fluxwavez said:

@missacre said:

What does Ridley have to do with anything? And I still think the idea of Reggie in Smash is garbage.

Is "garbage" the new word for "best idea ever"? Slang sure is weird.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Niceanims

@fluxwavez: it's doubly funny considering the reason this petition even exists is because Reggie thought the idea would be cool, and said Sakurai might consider adding him if the petition gets 100k signatures.

Also, YOU'RE garbage!

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itwongo said:

@fluxwavez: it's doubly funny considering the reason this petition even exists is because Reggie thought the idea would be cool, and said Sakurai might consider adding him if the petition gets 100k signatures.

Also, YOU'RE garbage!

If Reggie did make it into the game, that's a day 1 buy for sure. Everyone loves Reggie (except for fluxwavez), so if anything, this is a brilliant PR move.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@missacre said:

If Reggie did make it into the game, that's a day 1 buy for sure. Everyone loves Reggie (except for fluxwavez), so if anything, this is a brilliant PR move.

I'm okay with the real dude, but him being in Smash is such a bad idea I can't take it.

I'm also okay with absurdity, since I think Wii Fit Trainer is a brilliant character, but Reggie would just be a bit too far...

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zeik

@fluxwavez: I don't know how you could possibly go "too far" in Smash Bros. I feel like people have gotten so used to the idea of Smash Bros. that they've forgotten everything about the game is utterly bonkers and always has been.

The idea of Reggie grand-slamming Pikachu with a baseball bat seems no less ridiculous to me than R.O.B. the robot doing it.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@missacre said:

I'm okay with the real dude, but him being in Smash is such a bad idea I can't take it.

I'm also okay with absurdity, since I think Wii Fit Trainer is a brilliant character, but Reggie would just be a bit too far...

Why is that "too far"? Don't you want them to push it "too far"?

Was Mokap not the best character to ever be in a Mortal Kombat game?

No Caption Provided

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwhom

Reggie is my favorite new Nintendo character from the last 10 years. I'd take that over adding more third party shit like Knuckles or something.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By PandaBear

And what if in a few years Reggie leaves Nintendo and works at EA or Sony or something? And don't say it can't happen as it totally can. If it's Nintendo/fictional characters then it becomes timeless... when you put in real world references it loses that appeal.

EDIT: If you're going to do anyone, and they shouldn't, Miyamoto deserves it more. Or Gunpei Yokoi if his family is cool with it.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zeik

@pandabear said:

And what if in a few years Reggie leaves Nintendo and works at EA or Sony or something? And don't say it can't happen as it totally can. If it's Nintendo/fictional characters then it becomes timeless... when you put in real world references it loses that appeal.

That would make it all the better. He suddenly becomes the hidden villain!

I don't think it really makes a difference though. Whether or not he leaves Nintendo it doesn't change the fact that he was a major figure at Nintendo for a long time. Much like how Mr. Game and Watch is completely irrelevant to modern society there was a time where he was an important Nintendo figure. Or maybe a better example would be Snake and Mega Man. They all but abandoned Nintendo platforms years ago, but they are included because there was a time when they were much more directly associated with their consoles.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@pandabear said:

That would make it all the better. He suddenly becomes the hidden villain!

I don't think it really makes a difference though. Whether or not he leaves Nintendo it doesn't change the fact that he was a major figure at Nintendo for a long time. Much like how Mr. Game and Watch is completely irrelevant to modern society there was a time where he was an important Nintendo figure. Or maybe a better example would be Snake and Mega Man. They all but abandoned Nintendo platforms years ago, but they are included because there was a time when they were much more directly associated with their consoles.

Yeah but Reggie is a hype man. A really good one... but to put him ahead of Miyamoto or Yokoi is bizarre. Heck even Iwata has actually MADE games at Nintendo. I like Reggie, but not in Super Smash Bros.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zeik

@pandabear: I can certainly understand an argument being made for Miyamoto over him, but I don't feel like that argument is much different than all the other pointless roster arguments in who deserves to be included over another character. There's nothing to suggest Miyamoto is even an option (or that he would even consent), so it's just Reggie or no Reggie.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think my body is ready for that.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@pandabear: I can certainly understand an argument being made for Miyamoto over him, but I don't feel like that argument is much different than all the other pointless roster arguments in who deserves to be included over another character. There's nothing to suggest Miyamoto is even an option (or that he would even consent), so it's just Reggie or no Reggie.

I'd pick no Reggie. And so will Nintendo. Not trying to be negative, but it's a flawed idea and petitions don't work in game development, nor should they. I don't know why people bother.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#22  Edited By jacksukeru

I'd be for all of the known figures of Nintendo to be included in the game as trophies. Sakurai, Miyamoto, Iwata etc. That'd be neat.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know, lets ask Fedor!

Yo Fedor, should Reggie be in Super Smash Bros.?

No Caption Provided

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By crithon

Shouldn't there be a Miyamoto before a Reggie character comes to a Nintendo game?

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By monetarydread

I think that Smash Bros is an awful game, so I will never sign that petition.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zeik

@zeik said:

I'd pick no Reggie. And so will Nintendo. Not trying to be negative, but it's a flawed idea and petitions don't work in game development, nor should they. I don't know why people bother.

If this was just some random out of nowhere petition I would totally agree, but as I understand it the petition was suggested by Sakurai (ie, head Smash Bros guy) and Reggie himself, meaning there is a legitimate chance of it happening.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This would only work if Reggie could slit characters' throats and sing them a Zelda lullaby to sleep. Canon.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Fuck that.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tbh as much as i love ninty i wouldn't be surprised if reggie were canned in a mass restructuring in the near future :(

then again when have they ever changed with the times??? :D

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I oppose this on the grounds that Sakurai is injured and we shouldn't pressure him into adding characters that aren't necessary,