Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

Edited By Phatmac
No Caption Provided

If you don't know I'm going back and playing some of the best games on the DS due to me getting one recently(finally I know). One game that I've been meaning to play for a long time is Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. It's available in several platforms but I decided to play it on the DS. In short I like it quite a bit. It certainly doesn't show off the graphical power that the DS can achieve but it is still a fun game. It's mostly due to the characters and writing of the game. Characters like Phoenix Wright and Miles Edgeworth keep me interested in the game. The appeal for me is how strangely it depicts the trial system. With the famous objection sound roaring in the court house and confetti being used when a case is closed it all just works. I found myself laughing at Detective Dick Gumshoe's incompetence as a detective and even feeling general sorrow in some scenes. One problem that I'll surely get over is the spirit stuff with Maya Fey as it seems out of place at the start of the game. Overall I'm having some fun with this game. I appreciate how weird it is and rare for a video game to be based around lawyers and trials. I'm honestly surprised that there aren't more games that try to do their own thing with court cases. I still haven't beaten it yet so I may report back with my final thoughts on it. I also plan on playing the other games in the series so stay tuned for more lawyer hi-jinks!

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Phatmac
No Caption Provided

If you don't know I'm going back and playing some of the best games on the DS due to me getting one recently(finally I know). One game that I've been meaning to play for a long time is Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. It's available in several platforms but I decided to play it on the DS. In short I like it quite a bit. It certainly doesn't show off the graphical power that the DS can achieve but it is still a fun game. It's mostly due to the characters and writing of the game. Characters like Phoenix Wright and Miles Edgeworth keep me interested in the game. The appeal for me is how strangely it depicts the trial system. With the famous objection sound roaring in the court house and confetti being used when a case is closed it all just works. I found myself laughing at Detective Dick Gumshoe's incompetence as a detective and even feeling general sorrow in some scenes. One problem that I'll surely get over is the spirit stuff with Maya Fey as it seems out of place at the start of the game. Overall I'm having some fun with this game. I appreciate how weird it is and rare for a video game to be based around lawyers and trials. I'm honestly surprised that there aren't more games that try to do their own thing with court cases. I still haven't beaten it yet so I may report back with my final thoughts on it. I also plan on playing the other games in the series so stay tuned for more lawyer hi-jinks!

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Ben_H

I bought the first 3 along with Investigations after playing through the first game on iOS. I'm currently going through the second and so far it is just as good as the first. I've had way more fun with them than I thought I would. The writing is absolutely amazing and quite funny. Though the best part for me is still always when you get a huge breakthrough in testimony in a trial and the person being questioned flips out (hence my new display picture thingy). They're kinda expensive to get (especially the second one since it is much rarer than the others) but they are well worth the money as they are very memorable experiences.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Atwa

I actually played through it recently as well, its a very charming game.
I will play through them all hopefully, but they are hard/expensive to get a hold of.. at least some of them. 

Egg0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Egg0

I've been replaying the first three and probably Apollo Justice, in anticipation of Ace Attorney 5. I can't believe I still get stuck on things that I've figured out years ago. Also the music is still some of the best out there.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

The spirit channeling stuff is pretty bizarre at first, but it quickly starts to just feel like part of that world. And it's never used as a cheat or anything, like asking the victim what happened (though you'd think they would try that, seriously).

The first two cases are a decent start, but the third case is when the game really steps up and starts pulling out the crazy twists. Some real "oh shit!" moments. And the fourth case is even crazier. Oh, you'll love it.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Yeah, I was too into the spirit channeling stuff, especially when it became a core game mechanic in Justice for All, but by the end of Trials and Tribulations, it made sense and it didn't bother me any longer. Great series; it's a shame that Ace Attorney Investigations 2 will probably never make it here in any "official" way.

Just glad AA5's making it, at least:

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Phatmac

@FluxWaveZ said:

Yeah, I was too into the spirit channeling stuff, especially when it became a core game mechanic in Justice for All, but by the end of Trials and Tribulations, it made sense and it didn't bother me any longer. Great series; it's a shame that Ace Attorney Investigations 2 will probably never make it here in any "official" way.

Just glad AA5's making it, at least:

That's a wonderful gif.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Phatmac

@SpunkyHePanda said:

The spirit channeling stuff is pretty bizarre at first, but it quickly starts to just feel like part of that world. And it's never used as a cheat or anything, like asking the victim what happened (though you'd think they would try that, seriously).

The first two cases are a decent start, but the third case is when the game really steps up and starts pulling out the crazy twists. Some real "oh shit!" moments. And the fourth case is even crazier. Oh, you'll love it.

I'm sure I will. :)

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Ben_H
@Phatmac said:

@SpunkyHePanda said:

I'm sure I will. :)

Yeah the 4th case is great!  I suppose you have the added fifth case too that is a DS exclusive. That case is a looooooong one but it is a ton of fun. It felt a little more difficult going through it but it was incredibly satisfying. The twists in it are some of the best.
procrasturbate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By procrasturbate

What a coincidence! I've been playing the first game. Trying to clear Maya's name. Really cool game.