Piracy: Is it as bad as they say? (Article and survey results)

• 61 results
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Geno

Very interesting. Just one thing though, isn't "it's free" and "don't have enough money to buy" essentially the same category? 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By natetodamax

Well done, that was an interesting read.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By dichemstys
@Meowayne said:
" Pac-Man! "
YES!
Broitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Broitman

Nice to see someone actually ask the pirates what's up rather than just labeling them satan and run a screaming. I've always felt that they've gotten a lot more flak than they deserve. I don't do it myself but I can see where it the desire to do it comes from (we've all been mad poor at some point haven't we) and it's nice to let them voice their opinions.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#55  Edited By armaan8014
@The_A_Drain: I guess if we can't change anything, then with time we'll just have to buy lesser games :(
metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#56  Edited By metal_mills
@Geno said:
" Very interesting. Just one thing though, isn't "it's free" and "don't have enough money to buy" essentially the same category?  "
It's free means they could buy it but they just don't want to because it's free. Not having enough money means they couldn't buy it at all.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By Red12b
@fallen_elite said:
" @Meowayne said:
" Pac-Man! "
Pac-Man! Pac-Man! "
DAMNIT, 
beat me too it, 

by 17 hours... 
ma_rc_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By ma_rc_01

Great read, too bad that we don't know the age of the pirates, if younger people tend to pirate more due to lack of funds or a credit card to buy online.
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#59  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Great article dude! Made for a real interesting read.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#60  Edited By 9cupsoftea

The indie games bundle sold fantastically, over a million dollars, so much so it was extended. The whole piracy thing was over exaggerated.  

They made pirating the game as easy as simply entering an url - paid for or not, and still made over a million dollars in a short space of time. If anything, that shows that piracy is a two way street.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Jimbo

Pirates lie.  And that whole "Humble" Indie Bundle deal amounted to no more than selling charity.  Some of those devs made $150k in one week, for games that have probably made about $50 in total before their 'generous' sale.  It wasn't charity, it was just very, very shrewd business.  That Child's Play made some cash out of it -about a fifth of what the developers combined made- was a nice side effect.

I have read that article posted above before and whilst the numbers may or may not be accurate, the general point that "the average pirate downloads a lot more games than the average customer buys", is definitely true.  This clearly accounts for the vast majority of the piracy stats.  That isn't to say it's "okay" to do it, only that piracy makes far less difference to the companies bottom line than they like to pretend it does.