#1 Posted by StillAThreat (40 posts) -

I'm wondering if any of you all know what the general consensus about plagiarism is when adding to the site.  Anyone know?

#2 Posted by sdodd02 (722 posts) -

I think they just reject your submission.

#3 Posted by AndrewW (144 posts) -

Don't do it.

Good tips are given in the help section, and the moderation sticky at the top of this forum.
#4 Posted by DaveF (231 posts) -

I'd imagine you should just avoid copy and pasting from other sites, even if it is wikipedia :)
There is a sticky at the top of the forums, check it out.

#5 Posted by DirrtyNinja (715 posts) -

If you need to resort to copying other peoples work then you have no right to edit this site.

#6 Posted by banksrob (1126 posts) -

yea like copying a whole article and pasting it into the place here, you don't own that article so u cant copy it however u can copy it make it your own by changing it ( heavily) giving you a basis of what to work on

#7 Posted by Randolph (374 posts) -

It would likely end up with you being banned from ever making any edits again, I imagine, and rightly so.

#8 Posted by Oriental_Jams (3063 posts) -
banksrob said:
"yea like copying a whole article and pasting it into the place here, you don't own that article so u cant copy it however u can copy it make it your own by changing it ( heavily) giving you a basis of what to work on
"
What about Wikipedia articles though?
#9 Posted by DaveF (231 posts) -

I think wikipedia is still off limits. Read the sticky, I think it mentioned wikipedia.

#10 Posted by RVonE (4607 posts) -

Well, a site of this nature is bound to have some plagiarism issues at some point. But let's all just try to keep Giant Bomb on the right track.

#11 Posted by Aaron_G (1611 posts) -

It would be wrong to take information word from word from another site. So nobody do it!

#12 Posted by spragels (97 posts) -

That sounds like a question that you ask right before you plagarize a bunch of stuff... :)

#13 Posted by DaveF (231 posts) -
markop2003 said:
"i copy and paste for alot of things but i use multiple sources then bind them together and add my own style to it too so it's closer to reasearching and reminding myself than plagarism
"
I imagine that would be above board. I mean, what you're doing is more like research. As long as you rephrase it all, I don't think it counts as plagiarism.