#1 Posted by nintendork666 (203 posts) -

Can anyone clarify for me how DS games run on the 3DS XL, vs. the DSi XL?

I know the 3DS XL has a full-screen mode which skews the image, but when it is displaying games with a 1:1 ratio - is the screen size the same as the DSi XL? I've heard it was closer to the size of a standard DSi. I can't find much info on the subject, so any info would be much appreciated.

#2 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

For some reason, ds games run great on the 3DS XL, but horribly on the 3DS. But, your best bet if you want the great DS experience is the DSi XL, it's color and contrast levels beat the 3ds xl and 3ds. The 3ds also has a weird scaling issue where the native res is too small, and the blown up ratio looks like a blurry, faded mess.

Also, the 3DS XL's screen (bottom and cropped top screen in ds games) is slightly larger than the DSi XL, literally slightly though, like .1 of an inch, not nearly enough to notice.

#3 Posted by nintendork666 (203 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

For some reason, ds games run great on the 3DS XL, but horribly on the 3DS. But, your best bet if you want the great DS experience is the DSi XL, it's color and contrast levels beat the 3ds xl and 3ds. The 3ds also has a weird scaling issue where the native res is too small, and the blown up ratio looks like a blurry, faded mess.

Also, the 3DS XL's screen (bottom and cropped top screen in ds games) is slightly larger than the DSi XL, literally slightly though, like .1 of an inch, not nearly enough to notice.

Awesome response. Thank you.

#4 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@nintendork666 said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

Awesome response. Thank you.

No problem.

#5 Posted by TruthTellah (9074 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver: So, because of color differences, you'd say a DSi XL is best for DS games?

Overall, though, wouldn't the additional opportunity to play 3DS games push the 3DS XL over the top, as the margin with DS games is so small?

#6 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

@BestUsernameEver: So, because of color differences, you'd say a DSi XL is best for DS games?

Overall, though, wouldn't the additional opportunity to play 3DS games push the 3DS XL over the top, as the margin with DS games is so small?

If you want the best DS playing experience possible, the DSi XL is that system, but the 3ds xl isn't far behind, so might as well spend a few more bucks. But, some people don't really care about 3ds because of it's library right now, which is understandable.

#7 Posted by TruthTellah (9074 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver: Ah. Well, I have been considering this factor, as well, and to me, going to a 3DS XL is worth it considering the respectable treatment of DS games vs the DSi XL and the added incentive of knowing that your purchase will open you up to the 3DS library as well. In direct competition for DS gaming, the DSi XL does seem a bit superior, but I'd say the added value of the 3DS XL with its expanded features and library options makes it a much better choice for the long term.

If it was a DSi XL vs a 3DS with DS games as a big focus, I'd have to agree on the DSi XL, but to me, between the DSi XL and 3DS XL right now, the choice has to lean toward the 3DS XL.

#8 Posted by JJOR64 (18991 posts) -

I have a 3DS XL and DS games look fine on it.

#9 Edited by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

All this talk that DS games look great on the 3DS XL make me hate my 3DS even more for not being an XL.

#10 Posted by AndrewB (7613 posts) -

@Kyreo said:

All this talk that DS games look great on the 3DS XL make me hate my 3DS even more for not being an XL.

Yeah, I bought a 3DS to replace two busted DS systems. Sucks that it's not the greatest DS game player.

#11 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

@Kyreo said:

Yeah, I bought a 3DS to replace two busted DS systems. Sucks that it's not the greatest DS game player.

And the bastard thing about was that I bought my 3DS right around the time when the XL came out and I could've afforded one at the time.

#12 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

@Kyreo said:

@AndrewB said:

@Kyreo said:

And the bastard thing about was that I bought my 3DS right around the time when the XL came out and I could've afforded one at the time.

Same here. Bought my 3DS, XL got announced shortly afterwards. I'd love to "upgrade" to a 3DS XL, but

1. I barely use my 3DS
  2. I already have a DSi to play DS games
  3. if I were to trade in my current 3DS for an XL, I would not be able to transfer my purchases from one to the other. Or something weird like that.
  4. I already have a couple of accesories for my 3DS: the CirclePad Pro and the charging cradle. The cradle is just to good to live without.
#13 Posted by AndrewB (7613 posts) -

@Kyreo: Same thing happened to me, although I did buy it knowing that a system refresh would come out eventually. The hardware is just fine (minus the same ole' terrible hinge system prone to failure) and knowing I needed one before November for Virtue's Last Reward, I figured I'd buy the small number of great games already out in the meantime and I really needed something for my DS catalog.

#14 Posted by Zuldim (288 posts) -

So what exactly is wrong with the 3DS as a regular DS game player?

#15 Posted by King9999 (613 posts) -

@Zuldim: DS games on the regular 3DS look washed out and blurry. It's because the 3DS upscales the resolution to fit the entire screen. There is a way to run the game in its original resolution, but at the cost of not using the entire screen.

#16 Edited by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -
#17 Posted by HeyImPhoenix (169 posts) -

Yeah they look fine.