Playing old JRPGs(for my sanity). 10/9/2014

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Devil240Z

So I am of the age where a bunch of cool shit came out when I was a kid but I didn't know about it so I am thinking about going back and playing old JRPGs that I either missed out on or never finished.

Last night I bought Final Fantasy Origins on PSN which contains FF1 and FF2. I also bought Dragon Quest 1 on Android.

Mostly messing with FF first and playing DQ when I'm laying in bed or whatever. But I hope to play though the first games of some major franchises.

You're probably thinking I'm crazy by now but after grinding destiny and just dealing with modern games in general its kind of relaxing to play an old ass JRPG. Basically playing these old JRPGs is going to be my palate cleanser for when I get burned out on modern games. Not sure how far ill get or if ill keep writing these blogs but I thought its been awhile since I wrote anything so why not.

FF1, The first hours:

Ok first off I have played FF1 before but it was probably on an emulator or something and I was young and didn't really understand how JRPGs worked so I think I ended up getting confused and giving up after beating garland. I think I never found the boat and just wandered around the overworld until I got bored. Anyway I just got the boat and now I am sailing around trying to figure out where to go next. I think I have to go south.

I'm curious to see how far Ill get. If I can even finish FF1. I'm not in a hurry since I'm only doing this when I get burned out on modern games. Hopefully I wont get too lost when I go a week+ without playing.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Final Fantasy I is good, though made better by the ogre grinding area north of the pirate town (the top 2 or 3 squares have super encounters, bolt 2 the shit out of them then go rest at the inn, repeat). Dragon Quest isn't particularly good in general aside from VIII which is superb.

I'm not sure if you could do this in the original Final Fantasy II but in the Origins version you can hit your own guys to increase their HP; so just do that as much as you want and then cakewalk through the game, otherwise it's a lot of weird RNG levelling. Bizarre game on the whole, but reasonably enjoyable.