Playing online via a 3G hotspot

Burt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Has anyone had any success with this?

I'm using an iPhone 5 and a 3G connection in the UK that works intermittently but hardly ever lasts for a full Strike

(I'm trying to do some Vanguard Mark grinding)

I think the problem is something to do with what ports are open as my Nat type is 3 but trusty google doesn't really turn much up.

Thanks

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

3G speeds and latency differ a lot based on the particular flavor of 3G you happen to have - 3G, in a similar way to 4G, got adopted by marketing teams and has strayed pretty far from their original technical definitions. That being said though, I'd imagine that latency is pretty likely to be an issue regardless of the setup.

As for the port issues, your service provider is probably blocking particular ports specifically to prevent a ton of bandwidth from being consumed by people trying to utilize phone wifi hotspots for things like gaming - their expectation is likely that you should get a proper standalone cell modem if that's how you intend to use the connection.

Burt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@chaser324: Thanks.

I might look into a stand alone modem although its only for a few weeks waiting for broadband to get installed following a house move, and there is a lot of Witchering to be done...