PlayStation Plus Catch Up: May 2015.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By MooseyMcMan

Last month, as you may remember, was kind of disappointing for me, in terms of the PS+ games. I mean, I try not to complain about "free" games that are a part of a service that I'd pay for anyway (given the amount of games I've been playing online the last few months), but it was not up to the usual level of quality that I've come to expect from PS+. Or, I guess that's still not being fair. I didn't really care for those games.

This month, however, was surprisingly good! I still have some issues with some of this stuff, but I definitely enjoyed them much more than the ones last month. But enough beating around the bush, let us beat into the bush!

I lied! More beating around the bush! So, I actually wrote this blog (or most of it) a while ago. To be specific, it was even before the last blog I put up on the site (about the Metal Gear games on MSX). The problem is that I couldn't play Ether One, because that game didn't have an option to invert the y-axis. However, the developers said that a patch was coming to address that, so I decided to wait on publishing this until they did that, and I had a chance to play it. The problem is that patch didn't end up coming until after Witcher 3, so instead I'm publishing this now, along with this and maybe something at the end added on.

That said, given that I've already played two of next month's PS+ games (Ground Zeroes and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger), having one more to play for that month's PS+ blog actually works out well. Anyway, enjoy this blog that I wrote a couple weeks ago! Mostly! You might think that I would have taken that opportunity to proofread any of what I wrote here, but you'd be wrong!

Race The Sun.

I quite like the look of this game.
I quite like the look of this game.

Race The Sun is one of those games that is pretty simple, doesn't have a whole lot about it that I can really write about, and yet I enjoyed it a lot. All you do in it is steer a solar powered plane as you fly toward the sun, trying to get as far as you can before sunset. And when I say steer, I mean all you normally have is left and right movement, no up and down.

Of course, there is more to it than that. There's pickups that increase your score (which is constantly raising anyway) and increase your multiplier, and there's powerups that either grant you a jump, or teleport you out of danger should you ram into something (normally instant death). And there's a pickup that gives you a speed boost AND makes the sun go a little higher in the sky (thus extending the amount of time you have). There's upgrades to equip too, like a magnet that increases the range at which you collect items, better steering of the plane, or being able to hold more powerups at once (IE, three jumps instead of one).

Three different modes, two of which are endless, and one that isn't (the one that isn't has a different perspective, which is neat). It's simple, but fun. One interesting layer is that the layout of the levels change every day. It's like the daily challenge in a game like Spelunky, except instead of never seeing it again after you make a stupid mistake and die, it stays that level for the rest of the day. That lets you practice up on it and know your way around some stuff if you play for that long in one sitting. Which, the first time I played it, I played for like three hours straight, or something. But I also got all the upgrades and unlocked all the modes, so I also kinda did most of everything in the game.

Though, to be fair, I never did finish the mode than has an end, so I can't honestly say I've done everything. Will I ever finish it? I dunno, probably not. But this is a fun game, and it's worth checking out. At least for free, I dunno how much I'd pay for it in cash money dollars.

Unfinished Swan.

I love the look of this game.
I love the look of this game.

Unlike Race The Sun, which I knew nothing about beforehand, I did at least know a little about this game. I knew it was that first person adventure-y type game where you shot out balls of paint (not to be confused with paint balls). I also thought of it as an, "artsy indie game" in the back of my head, so I wasn't expecting to really enjoy it. I was, however, pleasantly surprised. The game itself is kind of underwhelming in some aspects, but there's a goofy charm about it, and none of it ever overstays its welcome.

I say underwhelming because this game has some really cool stuff in it, but never really uses it that well. I feel like the game is so close to being a really cool puzzle game, but instead chickens out and never really has any challenging puzzles. I dunno if that's because the developers didn't really think of the game that way, if it's because they wanted it to be pretty easy, for kids or something, or what. But it's a shame that some of the more interesting things in the game aren't used better than they are.

For example, there's a part later in the game (if you haven't played it yet, and plan to, just skip ahead, I don't want to spoil anything for you) where you enter a blueprint world. Instead of your balls of paint covering stuff in paint like they usually do, they mark spots on the areas that you can then use to create 3D platforms. You're literally shaping the world around you to progress, and that's a super cool idea! But it's barely used, and not used nearly as effectively as it could have been. And that's a shame.

Another part of the game that really surprised me was when it suddenly turned into a horror game. I'm not even joking, there's a part of the game in a dark forest where if you stay out of the light for too long, giant spiders start attacking you, and eventually kill you. It's totally out of left field, and a really good change of pace. But, like everything else, it's over really quickly.

Which, I suppose that's better than having everything last so long that it gets tedious, if really rad puzzle solving game isn't an option. And, I dunno, I can only assume that those types of games are super hard to make (because making regular games is easy (sarcasm)), so I'm not going to throw stones. But I still wish there was more to Unfinished Swan. Either way, it's an enjoyable time. Glad I played it.

Hohokum.

I don't even know.
I don't even know.

I'm...not really sure what to say about this one. I didn't really play a ton of it before deciding that I didn't like it, and that I wanted to stop playing. It's just...Confusing? Perplexing? Indecipherable? Incomprehensible? Bizarre? I'm not going to say it's not a game, because I think it has objectives, and it has collectibles, so I assume it has some sort of win-state, and thus is a game. But...I don't know, I just got really confused and then deleted the game. Something about it just made me want to never play it again.

Maybe if you're the sort of person that consumes recreational drugs and likes to play video games and see weird nonsense whilst doing so you might enjoy it. I, however, don't, and don't condone the use of recreational drugs, so I don't know.

Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition.

No Caption Provided

This isn't the first time that a game I had already played a lot of on another console came to PS4 as a PS+ game. It happened with Dust: An Elysian Tail, Fez, Spelunky, and Hotline Miami (I think, I just know I randomly had access to the PS4 version of that at some point). Of those, I hadn't beaten Spelunky before, so I had ample reason to keep playing that on PS4 (which is where I eventually did beat Olmec), but the others I had completed. In the case of Dust and Guacamelee, I had finished both at least twice, and S-Ranked them (all the Achievements in Dust on 360, and the Platinum Trophy on Guacamelee on PS3). But as much as I told myself I would totally replay Dust, Fez, and Hotline Miami on PS4, I did not play much of any of them on the system.

Guacamelee, however, I did. I dunno if it's because Guacamelee is just super rad, or if it's because this version has new stuff in it (as opposed to those other games just being ports), but I played it to completion again. And I kinda want to get the Platinum in it again. But then I'd have to play through it AGAIN, this time on hard. Couple other things I have to do too, like get 100% of all the items (I missed like three), and beat the final boss with a specific costume without taking any damage (which seems like it'd be really hard).

And I really enjoyed the game all over again. The new content seems pretty good, and is mostly well integrated into the game. It's new areas, some new enemies, and new story stuff. Not that I really cared about the story, especially now that I was in my third playthrough of the game. If anything, I kinda feel like the writing (especially some of the "jokes") just gets in the way of the game. Stuff like getting the side special move, and remembering that it's called, "Dashing Derp Derp." That's just embarrassing. Whoever wrote that into the game should be ashamed. Conversely, it does seem like a few of the meme things in the background of some of the areas have been removed. Not all, but some, so that's a little more palatable than it previously was.

Though, I will say that having one of the three new areas in the game just exist for challenge rooms was a little disappointing. They're not bad, as I'd say the platforming ones are pretty good. But the combat ones gets a little frustrating. Rather than just being all regular combat, several of them take away some of your abilities, and still task you with achieving really high combos for the Gold Medals (I got all the Golds, by the way). Like, one doesn't let you grapple or throw enemies, and another doesn't let you use special moves. And it made me realize that part of why I liked the combat was that it all meshed together as a whole really well. Removing parts of it only made it less fun. But, those are just challenges, and they're optional (unless you want the good ending of the game).

If you haven't played Guacamelee, this is 100% the version to play. It's the same great game, but with more (good!) content. It's still super fun, and it still has a lot of great charm, even if it does still make my eyes roll with some of its "humor." Definitely worth your time.

Anything else?

In terms of games, as I said earlier, I've been playing The Witcher 3, and really loving it thus far. But I'm not going to write something up about it until I'm done, which will likely be some time from now. I also bought Nidhogg and Trials Fusion when they were on sale, both of which I've also enjoyed my time with them. In terms of other games, I doubt I'll be playing anything else new until Batman next month. Not counting PS+ games, that is. It'd be a good time to get back to MGS stuff, if I can.

But that's all! Thank you for reading, and stay tuned at some point for a long and rambling blog about The Witcher 3! Probably!

No Caption Provided

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

I'm a fan of runner games and Race the Sun is one of my favorites. It's got good gameplay and the daily level thing makes it seem more community-focussed, so that you might say "Man, today's level is tough, right, guys?" or "Hey, guys, there's a good section for points at the beginning of the second region if you go all the way to the right." Not that I ever did that; I don't even know if the game has a community out there.

Marty20k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

ive recently bought max payne 3 on ps3 for like 5$ with ps+ sale , playing for the first time and really enjoying it!

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Kinda buried the lead here Ms. Moosey. I get why, but it also means that a lot of people might not notice your request. A bit of Catch-22.

I applaud your courage and wish you all the best on wherever this new journey takes you. Can't say I have much knowledge or experience with what you are undertaking, but anecdotal evidence on these very forums seems to suggest it's well worth it. I think you'll be happy.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: Yeah, that's what happens when I add something at the very end, and can't decide how much I actually want to focus on it. I suppose I could edit it to have something at the beginning, but at this point most of the people that would look at this probably already have, you know?

And thank you. :D

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

We've talked about it plenty elsewheres, but I'll reiterate that I'm still really proud of you for figuring out that aspect of yourself and having the courage to put it out there and be yourself <3 You rock, qurl.

Now go play some more Witcher 3 so I can hear your thoughts on it because it's so good...!!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artelinarose: I'll get back to it as soon as they fix that pesky quest XP bug!

Thank you, though. <3 I can't tell you enough how much your help has meant to me. I owe you a whole lot. :D

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't understand people who can't see the objectives in hohokum, they are pretty clear and simple... such as fill the beehive with honey or light all the circles to progress.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Aaru's Awakening seems pretty good, believe that was on PS+ last month as well. You have to manually input the title to find it on PS4 though.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't get on with that. I think the aesthetic they went for turned me right off. Unfinished Swan was the only thing I finished last month and it was a Sunday afternoon well spent. Parts definitely feel underused but then it also doesn't outstay its welcome. Pleasant. Roll on Ground Zeroes on Wednesday.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand people who can't see the objectives in hohokum, they are pretty clear and simple... such as fill the beehive with honey or light all the circles to progress.

Yea, people seem really ready to write it off when it's pretty straight forward in most ways. You just have to poke around a bit.

My main problem with it is that I get sorta stuck in a handful of zones and can't find my way to zones I haven't been to. I just keep going in circles, which is frustrating.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluefish said:
@yesiamaduck said:

Yea, people seem really ready to write it off when it's pretty straight forward in most ways. You just have to poke around a bit.

My main problem with it is that I get sorta stuck in a handful of zones and can't find my way to zones I haven't been to. I just keep going in circles, which is frustrating.

It's not even that so much as I just didn't see the point? It's hard to explain, but there was just something about the game that was rubbing me the wrong way. I could tell that I wasn't enjoying what I had played of it, and I didn't think it was worth my time to keep playing to see if I would enjoy it more. But who knows, maybe someday I'll change my mind and give it more of a shot.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@bluefish said:
@yesiamaduck said:

It's not even that so much as I just didn't see the point? It's hard to explain, but there was just something about the game that was rubbing me the wrong way. I could tell that I wasn't enjoying what I had played of it, and I didn't think it was worth my time to keep playing to see if I would enjoy it more. But who knows, maybe someday I'll change my mind and give it more of a shot.

Oh if you don't enjoy environmental interactions and a watch stream of consciousness then it's totally not the game for you.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I liked Race the Sun a lot, played until I got all the missions and a little bit after that.
The other games I had played already (except for Hohokun), it was indeed a great month for PS+

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's certainly not a game for everyone, not by a long shot. Even I have my disappointments with it.